• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) -- Chapter 1 Info

Volcynika

Searched, found nothing.

Sega put up a few screens and a poster for us to see all about the first chapter in the game: Papa's Palace of Pain!

The first mission of The House of the Dead: OVERKILL is also Special Agent G’s first mission. He has been dispatched by his agency, the secretive AMS, to investigate Papa Ceasar’s connection to a host of mysterious disappearances. At the exact moment G arrives, Detective Washington also turns up at the gates of the plantation house, on the trail of his missing father.

From the outset a tension exists between these hardboiled professionals, each feeling the other is stepping on their turf. But, when mutants attack, the Detective and the Agent are forced to accept that two guns are better than one and that an immediate and violent response is required.

The pair storm the plantation house grounds, gunning their way between trees and shrubs, capping mutants left, right and centre. Before long they reach the doors of the plantation house itself. They break in and find the place overrun with mutants. Something has gone badly wrong here…

Inside the Plantation House, a host of sick and twisted surprises awaits our heroes, and holed up in the basement is their nemesis, Papa Ceasar, with the first surprise in what promises to be a long, dangerous night in Bayou City.

Images

http://i40.tinypic.com/vr67oz.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/nlvj36.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/25p4d2q.jpg

Poster:

http://i44.tinypic.com/jq22rp.jpg

vr67oz.jpg

nlvj36.jpg

25p4d2q.jpg

jq22rp.jpg

Xav

Looks worse than House of the Dead II or III for some reason. I love the series but I have my doubts about Sega not developing this themselves.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Xav said:
Looks worse than House of the Dead II or III for some reason. I love the series but I have my doubts about Sega not developing this themselves.

Grafix wise? You can't be serious.

Gameplay wise?
You can't be serious.

Xav said:

house-of-the-dead-2-3-return-screens-20071116113542173.jpg

house-of-the-dead-2.jpg

the-house-of-the-dead-2-3-return-20080311034113140.jpg

This looks a billion times better than 2&3, you need to go get your damn eyes checked.
If you're not a fucking troll that is, then you need to go die somewhere.

Teknoman

Just hope it moves at 60fps. Really cant take light gun shooters at anything less these days. Thats what turned me off Ghost Squad Wii. It just seems to not have that fast action sense.

m3k

Teknoman said:
Just hope it moves at 60fps. Really cant take light gun shooters at anything less these days.

i really dont think its acceptable for on the rails games to be

FoxHimself said:
This looks a billion times better than 2&3, you need to go get your damn eyes checked.
I know the game is called Overkill and all, but wow.

FoxHimself said:
HARDCORE VIOLENCE

ShockingAlberto said:
I know the game is called Overkill and all, but wow.

The screenshots I posted are of HotD 2&3 ;)

Jaded Alyx said:
HARDCORE VIOLENCE

Ok, maybe I went a little overboard, sorry.
It just bothers me when people say "looks worse than game X from 1998!" when it's super obvious that it does not.

Rezbit

Jaded Alyx said:
HARDCORE VIOLENCE

:lol

Anyway, back to the game! Hopefully the faux-lightgun controls are tight and responsive, because this game looks to have a cool 70's grindhouse vibe going on. Be a shame if the controls weren't up to the rest of the package!

Xav

Ok, maybe I went a little overboard, sorry.
It just bothers me when people say "looks worse than game X from 1998!" when it's super obvious that it does not.
Hey don't say sorry it's GAF express yourself anyway you want I don't mind. Honestly I still stand by what I said because something about Overkill makes it look dull... maybe it's how it uses colour. Yup I prefer the look of the old games and I don't care if everyone in this thread goes against me. Here is another mind blowing opinion, Killzone 2 looks ugly... "Runs Away*

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Jaded Alyx said:
Someone want to try to explain to me why Headstrong Games deemed it necessary to put George Lucas in this game?

First thing I thought of.

Xav said:
Hey don't say sorry it's GAF express yourself anyway you want I don't mind. Honestly I still stand by what I said because something about Overkill makes it look dull... maybe it's how it uses colour. Yup I prefer the look of the old games and I don't care if everyone in this thread goes against me. Here is another mind blowing opinion, Killzone 2 looks ugly... "Runs Away*
I believe it's the grain filter that makes it look that way.

Arde5643

Xav said:
Wrong thread - KZ2 thread is thar-way.

Wasn't there supposed to be a special edition of this with a comic book or something? I can't find it listed anywhere, just a standard release.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like it's just a pre-order comic book in North America.

justchris

Jaded Alyx said:
Someone want to try to explain to me why Headstrong Games deemed it necessary to put George Lucas in this game?

What, are you saying you haven't wanted to cap his mutant ass since episode 1 just like everbody else?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Looks so fucking good!
I'm sure I'll be disappointed in the way it's going to be @30fps, but if they managed to keep the cursor movement (that I'll switch off of course) steady, quick, smooth AND precise a la Ghost Squad I wont mind too much; on the other hand if it's going to end up something like RE:UC, well then you can rest assured I'm gonna cut heads, strong!

CaVaYeRo

Those screens aren't good at all. New ones (click):

Oh, and this game is (motehrf****ing) tarantino awesomeness. I can't stop playing!

I'll put some impressions later.

Chairhome

Looking forward to impressions. A recent mag (Level 34, there's a thread for it) gave it a 3/10 for a review, so I'd like to hear from someone else who's played the game. Thanks!

CaVaYeRo

Chairhome said:
Looking forward to impressions. A recent mag (Level 34, there's a thread for it) gave it a 3/10 for a review, so I'd like to hear from someone else who's played the game. Thanks!

wat? reasons?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
CaVaYeRo said:
Those screens aren't good at all. New ones (click):

Oh, and this game is (motehrf****ing) tarantino awesomeness. I can't stop playing!

I'll put some impressions later.
Are you playing it in 16:9 and if so how does it look? Does it have those black borders like in the screens posted earlier?

CaVaYeRo said:
thx, I can't see why, yet.

Here you have my Spanish hands-on: http://www.revogamers.net/avances-388-The-House-of-the-Dead-OVERKILL-–-Impresiones-1.html

Maybe I OVERLOVE the style. The intro video is simply amazing.

I go to bed, I'll come back in two hours more or less to discuss further ;)

I have absolutely no Spanish, so I ran the first chunk through Babelfish and got:

What the merry hell? said:
We abrimos the mouth as soon as the game was executed. The SEGA logo - trembly like the tape that finish starting and the definition of dictionary of Overkill - possible first reference to Tarantino- gave the welcome to one of the tests more exciting than we have realised months in the last. Intro did not leave place to doubts that the noventero style had spilled on all the " cinta": A screen with a seal that remembers Movierecords, much grain. A real video of an aunt " of those of antes" , tightened in leather and contoneando its kindness of coarse form before the polished bar of any cavern surrounded by Harleys. Music raises of intensity and the credits appear in the typography of long ago. The tiarraca takes a belt of real bullets, but it unholsters an unexpected pistol: a Wiimote suitably covered with its silicone cover. Our mouth, still abierta, forms a smile, swallows loose saliva and a pair of exclamations. The film has begun.

Hidden in that mess is what looks like a really good preview :)

jarrod

Banned
I'm cautiously optimistic. I really, really want it to be good... but so far it's kinda looking like HOTD: The Umbrella Chronicles. :(

CaVaYeRo

16:9 looks OK, I guess those borders are from the screenshot hardware.

However, we found some framerate problems when playing 2 players in populated zones. Nothing really big, but it doesn't happen in 1p mode.

Hidden in that mess is what looks like a really good preview :)

:lol Babelfish. Well, that's the intro video. It's the typical hot chick from the 90s, she's dancing the bar and the other things you get from there :p

I'm cautiously optimistic. I really, really want it to be good... but so far it's kinda looking like HOTD: The Umbrella Chronicles. :(

I think it has nothing to do with Umbrella. It's freaking fast, classic gameplay (zombies waves, half a second angles, etc) and the incredible humor or the B series movie setting. Also, conver(fucking)sations, as they call it, between the two characters are genius, Pulp Fiction-like in its absurd feeling. Washington is an angry Samuel L Jackson.

Feel free to ask!

EDIT: Oh, and it might be short, but levels' length is accurate. You get seven levels extra stuff... I don't think it's a bad thing.

Arde5643

THis game is so mine day one - hi CaVaYeRo, can you do an English summation of your preview?

That way you don't have to translate the entire thing into English and we can get a gist of what makes the game so good.

Thanks much if you can do this. :D

Top Bottom