• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Houston Astros Cheated to Win the 2017 World Series, MLB Hands Out Year-Long Suspensions to Manager and GM

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why does everyone say “they can’t take the title away?”

They cheated in such a way that they had a significant competitive advantage over the other teams...if you can’t take the title away from them for this, what exactly would need to happen for a team to be stripped of a chip?

Because the NCAA does it all the time and everyone rolls their eyes. We all know Michigan made the FF 2x with the Fab Five, Louisville won the title, Reggie Bush won the Heisman, etc. What are you going to do give the WS to the Dodgers? Doesn’t work that way.

I'm half joking, but really though, when was the last time baseball has been interesting to the average non-fan (this is coming from a big baseball fan btw)?

They need to speed the damn game up, it’s brutal. So anything they can do to fix that is great and not goofy. Other than that it’s doing fine, it’s just a regional sport where people care about their teams only... so you don’t get a million blue checkmark dorks posting identical memes on twitter like you do with the NBA. It’s better off for it IMO.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Cora is fucked. The rest of MLB is lucky that only Fiers came out to blow the whistle.

I think the firings send the right message even if I don't agree with them since Hinch actually tried to damage the monitor to stop it. I also think Beltran needs some sort of punishment.

Regardless, stripping them of the title is a pipe dream. They used the system at home, and not in the playoffs. They still had to hit and execute pitches. The punishment fits.

Please tell me that you (And everyone else) did not buy that damage the monitor baloney. If he wanted to stop it he could have stopped it any time. If he was so against it and felt like he couldn’t stop it he could have quit and blew the whistle. No, he was all in like everyone else.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
This is a disgrace to my hometown of Houston. It's the kind of thing that taints your organization for years to come and as a long time fan it hurts. I'm pissed off and embarrassed and the right thing to do would be to fire every motherfucker involved and if it goes as high as the owner force him to sell the team. As a fan of this team I apologize to those they cheated. I make no excuses because there are none.

They need to speed the damn game up, it’s brutal. So anything they can do to fix that is great and not goofy. Other than that it’s doing fine, it’s just a regional sport where people care about their teams only... so you don’t get a million blue checkmark dorks posting identical memes on twitter like you do with the NBA. It’s better off for it IMO.
Does baseball need to appeal to the younger audiences? Yes, but it isn't solely up to the speed of the game. Most American baseball players are flat, and the players that get hype get shit on due to silly ass unwritten rules. You look at the the NBA and the NFL and these players are constantly showing their personalities, not only on the court, but off and both leagues highlight these things. MLB does a terrible job at showcasing its talent/personalities. Should the game need to be sped up? Sure, but not by changing rules per se. When you're at a game the most obvious waste of time is between innings (aka commercial breaks). If they were to be more innovative and sell more in game ads, they could reduce the between inning wasted time which would keep things moving.

Players were given full immunity if they cane clean with the full details, and they did. The players union is a powerful entity. The coaches and executives do not have union protection.

$5mm, should have been $50mm.

rumor is Alex Cora was the ringleader at both clubs.
I believe $5 million was the maximum allowed. My work around that is the Commissioner’s communication in mid 2017 about the use of electronics. Fine them 5 and additional... 2 separate infractions.

Does baseball need to appeal to the younger audiences? Yes, but it isn't solely up to the speed of the game. Most American baseball players are flat, and the players that get hype get shit on due to silly ass unwritten rules. You look at the the NBA and the NFL and these players are constantly showing their personalities, not only on the court, but off and both leagues highlight these things. MLB does a terrible job at showcasing its talent/personalities. Should the game need to be sped up? Sure, but not by changing rules per se. When you're at a game the most obvious waste of time is between innings (aka commercial breaks). If they were to be more innovative and sell more in game ads, they could reduce the between inning wasted time which would keep things moving.
Make a lot of good points.

Baseball has survived a ton of things, including World Wars when the players left and went to war.

You cant make both A) Shorter games and B) More offense.

They need to do away with how they do instant replay, what you can and cant challenge. I sigh every time a base is stolen, knowing it will result in play stoppage. Just have someone replaying before challenges, so you can have an almost instant decision.

Showcasing talent is the answer. Having the leagues best players and best teams NOT come to your city every year is certainly a killer.

You had to cheat to get there. The entire franchise should be ended.
3lfk0p.jpg

Hinedorf

Banned
It's hard to imagine a sport that hasn't evolved in over a hundred years can be manipulated so easily.......

Nobody cares about baseball but old white men, and athletes who can't succeed in football and basketball. The single moment the cheating player outed his former team of cheating, all of Baseball's unspoken rules can finally be put to bed, but they wont, why? OLD WHITE MEN.

Fix the fucking game, use technology correctly, hold time limits for both pitchers and batters, SPEED THE FUCKING GAME UP, add a salary cap to actually regulate fairness in the sport, and most importantly of all what Baseball needs to do to fix Baseball - Get rid of one franchise in every division that exists to be a farm system for the rest of the league.

Get rid of the Rays, Indians, Mariners, Marlins, Pirates, Padres franchises which exist to never win anything but dilute the product.

I live in San Diego and I 100% believe the San Diego Padres should cease to fucking exist!

Baseball fans worried about players cheating is the absolute least of this games problem.

MiLB shade lol

Nobody cares about baseball but old white men, and athletes who can't succeed in football and basketball. The single moment the cheating player outed his former team of cheating, all of Baseball's unspoken rules can finally be put to bed, but they wont, why? OLD WHITE MEN.
LOL ok.

Baseball is a planet wide sport.

maxresdefault.jpg

Teams are represented by more shades of color than any NFL, NBA, or NHL

Whole lot more than old white men

Bonus

Hinedorf

Banned
Baseball is a planet wide sport. No, that's soccer! Keep in mind I'm allowed to complain about baseball because I'm an aging white male and one who lives in San Diego so what the hell would I ever know about competitive baseball?!

Last edited:
Baseball is a planet wide sport. No, that's soccer! Keep in mind I'm allowed to complain about baseball because I'm an aging white male and one who lives in San Diego so what the hell would I ever know about competitive baseball?!
Never heard of the World Baseball classic? Or that for opening day 2019, almost 1/3 of players on MLB rosters were from outside the US? From 19 or 20 countries iirc

You have zero knowledge on this topic

FYI 122 countries on this planet play pro baseball. 35 million pro players

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Never heard of the World Baseball classic? Or that for opening day 2019, almost 1/3 of players on MLB rosters were from outside the US? From 19 or 20 countries iirc

You have zero knowledge on this topic

World Baseball Classic founded in 2005, and it totally fucking sucks as a spectacle...... versus the World Cup started in 1930

It's very much the American sentiment to think the world revolves around a sport created in USA but it will never hold a candle to soccer, and I'm not getting into a pissing contest about this, you're just wrong if you think baseball is even anywhere near to the popularity of Soccer.

World Baseball Classic is about minorities getting a spotlight to make it into the bigs, the World Cup is where you literally see the best players IN THE WORLD represent their country. As an American, I would be utterly embarrassed to take the WBC seriously with the rosters we put out.

Baseball is slowly dying. It's old men and latinos keeping it up.

The game would be a lot more exciting without homeruns. Base running + fielding > ball watching.

World Baseball Classic founded in 2005, and it totally fucking sucks as a spectacle...... versus the World Cup started in 1930

It's very much the American sentiment to think the world revolves around a sport created in USA but it will never hold a candle to soccer, and I'm not getting into a pissing contest about this, you're just wrong if you think baseball is even anywhere near to the popularity of Soccer.

World Baseball Classic is about minorities getting a spotlight to make it into the bigs, the World Cup is where you literally see the best players IN THE WORLD represent their country. As an American, I would be utterly embarrassed to take the WBC seriously with the rosters we put out.
No where did I say Baseball was bigger than soccer around the world. WTF are you arguing here. I said it was a world sport. And it is.

It's very much the American sentiment to think the world revolves around a sport created in USA
But then...
As an American, I would be utterly embarrassed to take the WBC seriously with the rosters we put out.
lol I cant

Ornlu

Banned
The punishment doesn't mean much unless you go after the players, too. Even the investigation points out that is was almost an entirely player-run affair. Management was responsible for allowing it to happen.

Top Bottom