• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Houston woman’s dog discovers newborn baby in a Walmart bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

Gold Member
6OusJCe.jpg

So adorable :)

How anyone would leave such a beautiful little thing in a trash bag at Walmart is beyond me. Seriously I question were humanity is headed when I read stories like this.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I assume the US doesn't have these baby hatches? That's one way of anonymously putting your baby up for adoption in some countries. You open the door, put your baby in it, close the door, it locks, an alarm goes off for medics to retrieve the baby. Mothers that change their mind have a limited period to request custody with a DNA test.

I have mixed feelings about it because I suspect those that consider the option are more likely to attempt giving birth by themselves without any support and that seems like a risk nobody should take with 2 lives at stake. But I doubt there is a perfect solution for messed up situations leading to this.

JnUcY55.jpg

PfooeFe.jpg

fuck me the world keeps on spinning, spinning crazy shit like this, all day everyday

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Leaving alone the gross ass people for a moment it's remarkable how attuned animals are to people in peril.

Unless the baby was crying, it was probably the smell of blood and umbilical meat that drew the dog's attention.

How could you possibly stay anonymous?

So you were pregnant, now you aren't, won't your friends and family ask what happened?

And then this pops on the news? Someone is going to put two and two together

dionysus

Yaldog
Unless the baby was crying, it was probably the smell of blood and umbilical meat that drew the dog's attention.

Animals love them some placenta. Baby probably smelled of placenta. Even herbivore animals eat there own placentas. Pretty easy to take a calf away from the mother, but don't you dare touch that placenta!

braves01

Banned
At what point in this person's life (the baby) do you think it will stumble across this thread while looking for information/clues about its parents?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
At what point in this person's life (the baby) do you think it will stumble across this thread while looking for information/clues about its parents?

We should start posting advice now, in case she does find this thread.

Hi future Chloe!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So it was a tooth! News segment at the link.

An abandoned infant's baby tooth may be the key to finding her parents.

Baby Chloe, discovered in a plastic Walmart bag just an hour after her birth with her umbilical cord still attached, has a rare early tooth that may help authorities flesh out the newborn's family history.

The natal tooth, seen in only one of every 2,000 infants, is the latest development in the hunt for Chloe's parents since a woman walking her dog discovered the baby outside an apartment complex in Cypress, Tex., on Feb. 19, ABC News reported.

Houston police have also turned to world-famous forensic sketch artist Lois Gibson to draw up composite sketches of what Chloe's mom and dad would probably look like.

Gibson, named "Most Successful Forensic Artist" by Guinness World Records, made the renderings by doing an age progression on Chloe's appearance.

The pastel drawings show a man and woman in their early 20s with several of Chloe's distinguishing features, like her gray eyes, her dark brown hair and her signature smile.

"The people would recognize that smile," Gibson told ABC's "Good Morning America." "It's a ready smile, and then all I had to do was put teeth."

This is reportedly the first time law enforcement officials have tried such a technique. But some forensic art experts have raised their eyebrows at the drawings' precision.

"I doubt [the sketches] are going to be accurate at all … not even in the ballpark of likeness," Steve Loftin, head of the forensic imaging unit at the Center for Missing and Exploited Children, told ABC News.

"Trying to add years to a baby's face without any reference at all — we could not do that and be sure of any accuracy," he said.

Gibson, who has never done an age progression on a child as young as Chloe, acknowledged that random factors, like weight gain, acne and dyed hair, could affect the renderings' exactness.

"It might just look half like one and half like the other," Gibson told the Houston Chronicle. "I think I have a 50 per cent chance of the sketches looking more like one than the other."

Authorities hope either Chloe's parents or other relatives come forward to claim the child. Determining the parents' identities has been especially difficult for authorities because it appears the mother never visited doctors for prenatal care.

Chloe's parents will face charges if found.

The tiny bundle of joy, named by her rescuers at Texas Children's Hospital, remains in the care of Child Protective Services. But there is no doubt she will soon "be placed in a loving home," Harris County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Christina Garza told ABC News.

"There is no shortage of people who want her."

Possible sketch of the parents:

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I read this as Houston woman's dog delivers newborn in walmart bag. I did that wtf face before reading it again. Maybe I need glasses.. (sorry off topic I know). Can't add nothing that hasn't been said already though. Sad story.

Leynos

Being born with a tooth or two is not unheard of. My cousin had a couple.

As for the baby, she is adorable, and I hope only the best for her. The public really needs to be informed about Safe Haven laws considering the replies in this thread.

Being born with a tooth or two is not unheard of. My cousin had a couple.

As for the baby, she is adorable, and I hope only the best for her. The public really needs to be informed about Safe Haven laws considering the replies in this thread.

I find it hard to believe that most don't.

Trin

What a beautiful little girl, I hope they are able to place her with the loving family she deserves.

And maybe somewhere in between abstinence only education, Texas sex-ed courses could sneak some actually practical knowledge about the safety nets that exist for unexpected pregnancies so young mothers (like I'm guessing was the case in this story) don't make a terrible decision out of ignorance.

How anyone would leave such a beautiful little thing in a trash bag at Walmart is beyond me. Seriously I question were humanity is headed when I read stories like this.

Humanity is headed up. This is far better than the parents drowning it in the bathtub or leaving it in a dumpster behind a skeezy apartment complex.

If someone did not want a child, why not abortion? Before you say "maybe they're Christians", yeah leaving a baby abandoned in a bag is such a Christian way to do things.... So, yeah, anyways abortion or just put it up for adoption. My guess is meth head parents. Sick fucking people need to be snuffed out.

The fuck man.....

At least someone didn't shoot the baby in the face with birdshot before it was put in the bag, like recently happened to this Texas dog.

http://www.examiner.com/article/texas-dog-found-shot-the-face-and-left-to-die-a-garbage-bag

He is doing better now, but will probably be blind...
Damn. I know it's wrong of me, but this upsets me more than the baby story. Depressing.

Jedi2016

I can't believe people don't know about the safe haven laws. There's a plaque on every fire station.
The problem is that the kind of people who do this sort of thing aren't exactly the most educated amongst us, and are less likely to know what kind of help is available. But Jesus, just leaving it on the side of the road in a plastic bag? Lock 'em away forever. Makes me sick.

I'm relieved that the baby is okay. She's the one person totally innocent in all of this (and cute as a button, too), and she doesn't deserve to start out this way.

I can't believe people don't know about the safe haven laws. There's a plaque on every fire station.

How many times do you think the average person visits a fire station? I'm willing to bet it's somewhere in the neighborhood of none. Which is part of the problem, it's a good law, but there's nothing about it posted where people who may need the service visit (like AFS or doctors offices), at least here in OR. So when you have a panicking new mother who wants to hide the fact that she was pregnant for whatever reason, she doesn't know how to go about it and shit like this happens.

How many times do you think the average person visits a fire station? I'm willing to bet it's somewhere in the neighborhood of none. Which is part of the problem, it's a good law, but there's nothing about it posted where people who may need the service visit (like AFS or doctors offices), at least here in OR. So when you have a panicking new mother who wants to hide the fact that she was pregnant for whatever reason, she doesn't know how to go about it and shit like this happens.

I realize there's a lot of those "I didn't know I was pregnant" stories out there but assuming this lady

a) knew she was pregnant, and
b) is not a complete sociopathic monster (a stretch, I know)

she would've had WEEKS to at least look into the matter and see if there was a way to rid herself of this unwanted baby without simply throwing her away like she was a piece of garbage. For god's sake, if you google "where to abandon a baby" there are 4 or 5 safe haven law pages for various states in the first 10 results. Add "texas" and the safe haven law page is STILL in the first five (pretty sad that #1 is another story about an abandonned child).

I can understand how safe haven laws aren't common knowledge but FFS at least make a cursory effort to find an option becides infanticide.

I assume the US doesn't have these baby hatches? That's one way of anonymously putting your baby up for adoption in some countries. You open the door, put your baby in it, close the door, it locks, an alarm goes off for medics to retrieve the baby. Mothers that change their mind have a limited period to request custody with a DNA test.

I have mixed feelings about it because I suspect those that consider the option are more likely to attempt giving birth by themselves without any support and that seems like a risk nobody should take with 2 lives at stake. But I doubt there is a perfect solution for messed up situations leading to this.

JnUcY55.jpg

PfooeFe.jpg

Is this really what the world is coming to? Baby abandoning hatches?

Einhander

Awww. That photo of her is so adorable. It breaks my heart to think that a pretty child like her would be abandoned in such an inhumane way.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

What? OR's have it posted, or should have it up in the hospital.

Oh, misread. Still it isn't just fire stations that should have the law posted about being a "safe haven for babies." Hospitals, doctors offices, and the like generally have "advertising" about these laws.

CrazyDude

You know Spartans use to drop babies off a cliff. Putting babies in bags seems like a step up to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom