• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Gaffer and his 3D printer trolled the world (2nd NX fake)

This whole thing actually makes me hope that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have 3D printers on hand to test the ergonomics of their controllers. It seems like an amazing tool for prototyping.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don't even know what is real anymore, shit no more photoshop shop memes now we need a 3d printer expert, do I even really exist??

So hopefully this will teach the internet to be wary of physical leaks from dubious sources, and be more skeptical. It won't because the internet has a horrible memory, but I can dream

MK_768

I don't know if it's happened in this thread but I saw in the other thread that people were talking a lot of shit about Rösti and ShockingAlberto and indicating they are now running scared, etc., and not legit insiders. I just want to point out that all Alberto said was that he'd heard the first pic was real from a source. He never said he was certain of its veracity by any stretch. Previously he has known insider information before it was announced by Nintendo so I don't think he should be given such a hard time about this.
As to Rösti, he specifically made a point to say that he was not saying the leak was real or fake, just that certain parties were upset about it. He even expressed anxiety and physical symptoms resulting from stress over this, and he never said the leak was real, so please, those giving either of these upstanding members of the community a hard time, reconsider doing so. Thank you.

agreed. Rosti's comments got twisted. He simply detested the leaks because they cause/caused problems. He never said they were real or not. People assumed.

Davey Cakes

Pfffffft. Fake leaks have always been a thing. Even when insiders get verified it comes with a "Believe at own risk" sign. He didn't even get that far so it especially doesn't matter.

GAF should be more pragmatic.
Yeah, I can understand that.

The whole 3D printing revolution is my one worry, but I generally don't get hung up on these things.

This whole thing actually makes me hope that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have 3D printers on hand to test the ergonomics of their controllers. It seems like an amazing tool for prototyping.

I would imagine any company that makes any consumer product has them for this very reason. I attended a small satellite campus of Ohio University my first year of college before moving to the main campus and even that branch campus had them for art and design students.

J-Tier

I think Kankki opened up a faking can of worms. All of us product designers who have access to 3D modeling programs, a 3D printer, and shop skills are salivating at the possibilities.

Yeah, I can understand that.

The whole 3D printing revolution is my one worry, but I generally don't get hung up on these things.
Even 3D printing has limits though. This was an incredibly simple design, and it should have sparked attention how the second leak always had everything off (especially after yesterday's reveal that the first fake was a render)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And I remember the days when a "2d" printer was all you need to start fake rumours:
18j5dwfw4d3q2jpg.jpg

PLOT TWIST

The leak was real, but Nintendo threatened to sue the leaker unless he released this video on his Youtube channel! Just wait: the controller Nintendo reveals at E3 will be surprisingly familiar!

surprised.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We already know Nintendo 3D prints prototypes. There was an Iwata Asks, I believe for the Wii U, where they talk about it.

I think Kankki opened up a faking can of worms. All of us product designers who have access to 3D modeling programs, a 3D printer, and shop skills are salivating at the possibilities.

Possibilities of what, two days of e-fame and a GAF thread?

I really don't understand why someone would waste their and everyone else's time with this.

I really don't understand why someone would waste their and everyone else's time with this.

Because it's a fun test of their skill, isn't actually that hard if you have access to the equipment, and it can be really funny to prank people and see them lose their heads over a complete fake

J-Tier

Well, that, and you have a prototype that you can hold onto and display if you did a great enough job on it. Sometimes we build, design, and/or draw things for fun-- pranking GAF and the net would just be a bonus.

rob305

Yeah I don't see why he should be banned. He didn't post the fake on neogaf. If he would've posted it here he would've gotten banned, but he posted it on reddit and someone else made a thread about it here

Every major engineering company has 3d printers for prototyping. 3d printers aren't even recent. They've been around for decades, just not nearly at the price point where it was feasible for consumers

What if this is also a ruse and Nintendo released this to throw us off again. It's all part of the plan!

This and the Rayman in Smash trolls are hilarious. I was convinced on this one at least!

Because it's a fun test of their skill, isn't actually that hard if you have access to the equipment, and it can be really funny to prank people and see them lose their heads over a complete fake

So basically "it's hard but not really lol prankz"? Yeah, no. Why not use resources/learned skills to do something that doesn't make you look like a gigantic asshole?

Will I be banned if I think another GAFfer should be banned?

Because I think a ban would send a message that it's not necessarily okay to do fake leaks. I mean, yeah, one or two is fun but what if everyone with a 3D printer attempted the same thing? Theoretically, the boards could be flooded with fakes of...everything and anything.

So, perhaps both a temp ban AND a tag are in order. But please, I'm not trying to be a jackass, and if suggesting this is a bannable offense then I'm sorry. Maybe I missed it in the TOS.

I don't see a problem with it if he doesn't actively 'promote' his fake leak here, along the lines of "hey guys I found this thing looks legit right?". If it gets posted somewhere and you fall for it, be smarter next time. As somebody else said, fake leaks happen all the time.

On another note at least this one is a step up from "I printed a paper with the totally real lineup of the next nintendo direct" leaks. :p

(edit: or the "im an insider that somehow decided to post on 4chan and trickle information little by little as I pull things out of my ass" leaks)

In the leak thread when I made a post that there was no way it was fake... I was right. You can clearly see someone actually holding it in this video.

Nanashrew

Banned
I dunno about ya'll but I kept saying lots of things looked off about it and even pointed out the sticker.

Still, amazing fake nonetheless.

Anteo

I don't see a problem with it if he doesn't actively 'promote' his fake leak here, along the lines of "hey guys I found this thing looks legit right?". If it gets posted somewhere and you fall for it, be smarter next time. As somebody else said, fake leaks happen all the time.

On another note at least this one is a step up from "I printed a paper with the totally real lineup of the next nintendo direct" leaks. :p

"This is totally an screenshot of the pc where they made the nintendo direct" leak.

wait

I still cant believe that one leaked like that

The1Ski

Come on man! You know controllers go through several stages of mock-ups and testing for feel. There is zero chance that they would NOT do this.

It does make it all the more interesting when a controller gets approved and it ends up not feeling good. I'm sure there's a decision point too, though, that a company wants their controller to feel different or look different just for the sake of differentiation.

ZOONAMI

agreed. Rosti's comments got twisted. He simply detested the leaks because they cause/caused problems. He never said they were real or not. People assumed.

Saying something should not have been exposed weighs pretty heavily towards confirmation of a real nintendo device, imo.

jblank83

I'd like to list just a few things TeamFake pointed out that were accurate:

Spray painted surfaces
Acrylic screen
Flash lines on edges of screen (left over from cutting)
Obviously non-functional sticks

Then there were more circumstantial pieces of evidence, like terrible form factor and cheap labels.
It was a good work of craft, but there were plenty of clues, imo.

*gets in the "TOLD YA" line*

/smug

Top Bottom