• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Gaffer and his 3D printer trolled the world (2nd NX fake)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The hilarious twist would be if the real NX controller ends up looking like that.

MCN

Banned
So we assume that a man can use Gaf at his own advantage? With all the respect I have in his work, creating a fake and pretending it's true for days is wrong. It may even hurt a company, create some big misunderdtandings with investors and build giant useless threads for what, exactly?
Why not just post the video?

I would think investors may be a little more clued in than us. And if that thread was useless, then what is the point of us all being here? the thread was the most entertaining thing to happen to GAF since the original Xbox One reveal.

lol, that was great, definitely, with Nintendo you don't know what to expect.
Did Nintendo's share value were somehow affected by chance by this joke?

QaaQer

I didn't read the entire controller thread. I only saw McNamara's tweet about having heard that the NX controller wouldn't have face buttons, which could still be true despite the leak being fake.

But you're saying some journalists actually confirmed that it was "real"? Could you point them out, please?

That didn't happen. Rosti made a Rosti post, but he isn't a journo.

zma1013

I'm still on teamREAL, Nintendo has you all fooled. They made a fake video of a fake controller production to explain the very real photo leak. It's all too perfect.

Wake up treeple.

ash_ag

Brilliant. The combined strength of context (via patents), two unrelated "sources", top-notch craftsmanship, and confusing press response made this very believable. It will go down in history as one of the best fakes ever.

3D printers are a game changer in the fake leaks industry. :p

I would think investors may be a little more clued in than us. And if that thread was useless, then what is the point of us all being here? the thread was the most entertaining thing to happen to GAF since the original Xbox One reveal.
Good to know, let's just make fakes and give people a pass because it's fun. I assume you all love OsokoTanaka and those others, right?

His post history is great.

He goes from kind of believing the original hoax to picking apart flaws in the original hoax to full on adding theories to his own hoax about how it might be real.

Top work and all in good fun.

MCN

Banned
Good to know, let's just make fakes and give people a pass because it's fun.

Yeah, why not? The best bit of any console pre-reveal is the speculation and fakery. Remember the furore over the PS4 design when Sony showed a couple of vents, and everyone went mad trying to come up with a design? That was amazing.

RG0BS1U.gif

Good job!

QaaQer

Good to know, let's just make fakes and give people a pass because it's fun. I assume you all love OsokoTanaka and those others, right?

You know what is weird, there is a market for famous art forgeries. Maybe dude should ebay his controller, or do a limited signed/numbered edition.

Blobbers

dhMeAzK.gif

So we assume that a man can use Gaf at his own advantage? With all the respect I have in his work, creating a fake and pretending it's true for days is wrong. It may even hurt a company, create some big misunderdtandings with investors and build giant useless threads for what, exactly?
Why not just post the video?

The kinkki leak thread is pretty par for the course on the insanity scale as far as Nintendo speculation threads go. Every little bit of Ninty info gets thousands of posts. Kinkki was was born in Nintendo threads, molded by them. After the first leak, he saw an opportunity. "I will give them a speculation thread actually worth a damn", so he went to work, and he made a damn good fake.

Kinkki or no kinkki, insane Nintendo threads (iNt's) will never go away, but this one will forever be remembered as one of the best.

hwy_61

Banned
The thirst for the NX is so off the charts. im not believing a fucking word until it comes from the horses mouth.

Lesson learned!

It's not like he tricked people into paying him based on a fake? Show me the harm in this.
If you can't see where his bad attitude is, I admit I'm not able to show you. People making mockups and just posting them without pretending they're leaks are the ones I like.

Daggoth

Legendary. Give this man a tag!

Seriously, he didn't just say "oh it's a fake, look closer", he showed exactly how he produced it.

100% class right there.

Oppo

he's kind of done the marketing departments of the game world a favour.

as if we didn't scream FAKE loudly before, now if there's perfectly lit and exposed video of EviLore dancing with a running prototype in his hand in front of today's CNN broadcast we'd all be like, pffff, not real. #teamreal is dead

Top Bottom