• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Gaffer and his 3D printer trolled the world (2nd NX fake)

Joqu

I somehow missed this thread so I posted in the other one, but yeah, amazing job Kankki. I loved finding out how you did it so thanks for making the video as well.

i'm not mad at all, I had a lot of fun thanks to these two "leaks". What a legendary thread.

I wasn't sure if it was real, but I thought the notion that some random dude cooked it up on a 3D printer and assembled it was a bit preposterous.

I vastly underestimated how far trolls are willing to go.

I mean, it's really not much harder with the right skill sets than a bunch of other fake leaks that get made. It probably took less time and effort than some of the fake pokemon corocoro scans for instance

I like how people are judging anyone's usage of their own time while discussing this in a video game forum. Like, pot meet kettle. And what does it matter anyway?

KingV

To get all the praise they are getting right now.

I figured it was fake just by setting it was in. Who leaves confidential stuff this laying around like that?

People are starving for news so much they'll believe anything remotely realistic

Actually, I thought it was odd the prototype was by a window. I would be shocked if the actual prototypes are not in a secure room without Windows until the reveal.

My only regret in this whole thread was not trying to bet a ban on it being real or fake with someone from #teamreal. I was certain it was fake the other. Ought and was *this* close to trying to bet a ban, but didn't want to risk it in case that 0.01% chance I was wrong.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, it was just an elaborate joke because he had the equipment and skill to do it. He was really forthcoming and down to Earth in his reveal video as well. Some folks need to lighten up a bit and learn to laugh. And also be thankful that this was fake, lol.

Come on man! You know controllers go through several stages of mock-ups and testing for feel. There is zero chance that they would NOT do this.

It does make it all the more interesting when a controller gets approved and it ends up not feeling good. I'm sure there's a decision point too, though, that a company wants their controller to feel different or look different just for the sake of differentiation.

Well, I was more talking about rapid prototyping. =P

Pretty cool article on the prototype stage of the X1 controller:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/18/t...stuff-that-didnt-make-it-in-part-1-exclusive/

This is really neat. Thanks for sharing.

MUnited83

For you.
Will I be banned if I think another GAFfer should be banned?

Because I think a ban would send a message that it's not necessarily okay to do fake leaks. I mean, yeah, one or two is fun but what if everyone with a 3D printer attempted the same thing? Theoretically, the boards could be flooded with fakes of...everything and anything.

So, perhaps both a temp ban AND a tag are in order. But please, I'm not trying to be a jackass, and if suggesting this is a bannable offense then I'm sorry. Maybe I missed it in the TOS.
Why the hell would he be banned though? He didn't share the image here, he didn't create the thread about it. He broke zero rules.

TheMink

Who is kankki? Why is he? Is this new video just another elaborate hoax? What does it all mean? These are the thoughts in my mind as I lean back in my chair. I never left the hype train, I never will.

Well done.

These are questions Little Sebastian never had to answer.

Because he was a horse.

I don't think certain people lack time to procuce such a fake, just talent and equipment. ElTorro for example needs 2 minutes to come up with excellent gifs, because he has the talent, and of course he has the necessary tools.

I am sure making SteWii also included a certain learning effect for kankki, so - maybe - this alone was worth the time spent on making it. Besides the fun he had reading our comments....

Alebrije

He did a good job , but the cheap labels were very suspicious for me all the time, also why no in japanese.

This fake just proves one more time how people can be manipulated with little facts. And the funny think is that after some time they will believe again on the next "leak"

Doctre81

I don't wanna even hear about "too much free time" with the sheer amount of hours some of the same users spent posting in the nx controller thread. lol.

Even though we got trolled so freakin hard, I still found this video to be really cool. 3D printing is so awesome and I wish I could afford to play around with a machine like that.

KamiCrit

Great eye :D

For the next "leak" you gotta get a sticker printer.

Nintendo-Ndev-revolution-dev-kit.jpg

RivalCore

I thought they had only started experimenting with 3D printing for prototyping. Production still uses the traditional method.

Rapid prototyping has been used in the product/medical/automotive industries for a very long time now.

It's come into the public's eye the last few years because of the consumer level printers.

Totodile in the know.

It was the second one popping up that really threw some people off.
We haven't yet experienced the era of 3D printing leaks lol
Yeah, the second leak made me think it might be real, even though I never discarded the possibility that it was a physical fake

FZZ

Banned
GAF has turned on its own

That's all I've learned from this

NX is literally making us not trust one another

Edit: the assumptions that NX has become self aware are true. be safe GAF

whipihguh

Banned
Fantastic work man, you did an incredible job!

I can honestly see why some would believe it, it definitely looked more real than most fakes. Though with this and the Rayman fake, some of you guys gotta realize "why would someone go through all the effort" isn't a convincing argument, haha

Woooow, the amount of salt in this thread is incredible from some people. Banning the guy because he put in a lot of time and effort for a joke, and exploiting GAF and the Internet in general's wild speculation about NX? Maybe take a look in the mirror and wonder why you were so hasty to believe the 'leak' anyway. It was all in good fun, the thread was hilarious. Learn to laugh at yourself. I know I was almost convinced, but I'm not mad about it. What a great prank.

Top Bottom