• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Gaffer and his 3D printer trolled the world (2nd NX fake)

Epcott

Heh,

kankki: The man who sold the world

On the good side, it was fake. On the bad, I must now explain to my friend it was a fake. I'm convinced I need a 3D printer more than ever now.

GG!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I had been paying closer attention to those threads. Simply amazing. Congrats on the tag, kankki!

MilkBeard

My favorite part of all of this. Those trying so hard to convince themselves this will be good with the silly shaped screen, by doing mock-ups, etc., for buttons, etc..

Going as far as saying they could have revolutionary [see: expensive] tech that raises buttons on the screen... Really?!

So well played, lol.

Nintendo has made some strange designs, but they always had feel and efficiency at the forefront. This design just looks plain uncomfortable. People thought it was Nintendo just because it was weird looking.

Neiteio

My favorite part of all of this. Those trying so hard to convince themselves this will be good with the silly shaped screen, by doing mock-ups, etc., for buttons, etc..

Going as far as saying they could have revolutionary [see: expensive] tech that raises buttons on the screen... Really?!

So well played, lol.
I've thought it could work ever since we saw the patent. My take is based on the idea we'd get advanced haptic feedback where you can feel the shape and texture of the elements displayed onscreen, allowing you to feel the buttons so you don't have to look at the screen. The benefit would then be the ability to turn the screen into a near-infinite number of control schemes — levers to pull, wheels to spin, lines to trace, points to pinch and pull, etc. Along with the ability to rearrange, reshape and resize standard inputs. I could see them trying it at some point... in part because they have a patent for it, but also because it'd make for a versatile controller enabling many game types.

Daft Punk

Banned

So well played, lol.

Can you really blame Nintendo fans? After the premature death of the Wii and the crash of the Wii U, they crave some normalcy and something that will return Nintendo to its former glory. Fortunately that controller was fake because man that was not the answer lol.

Malus

So well played, lol.

All that stuff could still be relevant considering these fakes were based off Nintendo patents.

Chuck

Still without luck
It is an amazing fake. It's funny how easy he made this using a 3D printer. Leaks are going to be a bitch to figure out going forward.

And I'm glad I took a neutral side in the whole thing. No facial egg here!

jacksrb

Awesome fake - even better thread with awesome gifs, mockups, and meltdowns. Bravo!

So fun - and even better that it was a fake so the real thing can be better.

It would be awesome if Nintendo started the reveal with showing something off that looks like the fakes and fading into the real deal...

Hoping we hear something in April as rumored

I would have loved to have seen the reaction of the guy who made the original photoshop.

I wonder if for a moment he thought "holy shit I actually got it right"

So well played, lol.

But the tech already exists...and you say "expensive" but based on what? Because it's state of the art? So was the 3DS screen when it was released. As much as people like to claim Nintendo never does state of the art, it's not true.

Now how good a replacement it is for phsyical buttons is up for debate

TLZ

Banned
I don't know if it's happened in this thread but I saw in the other thread that people were talking a lot of shit about Rösti and ShockingAlberto and indicating they are now running scared, etc., and not legit insiders. I just want to point out that all Alberto said was that he'd heard the first pic was real from a source. He never said he was certain of its veracity by any stretch. Previously he has known insider information before it was announced by Nintendo so I don't think he should be given such a hard time about this.
As to Rösti, he specifically made a point to say that he was not saying the leak was real or fake, just that certain parties were upset about it. He even expressed anxiety and physical symptoms resulting from stress over this, and he never said the leak was real, so please, those giving either of these upstanding members of the community a hard time, reconsider doing so. Thank you.

ShockingAlberto said:
Hm.

Somebody "confirmed" the last set of pictures to me. I didn't believe or disbelieve, I just figured I'd wait for more information.

This might qualify as more information.

Sorry. Read it again and tell me it's not misleading. As a forum member who kept reading how this guy's the real deal and what he says counts, I took his words for real and trusted him. This quote here told me to take the fake seriously and it's not a fake, even though I felt it was. If he seriously didn't trust it, he shouldn't have posted it. He knows how people here take his word as gospel. He should know better not to post or when to post.

Now tell me something, what would've happened if I did what he did? I'd have gotten banned, chastised and people would've asked for my head. All because I'm a "nobody". No need for double standards.

Don't know about Rosti, he's always very vague, so can't say much about him. So either he does know something or he doesn't, he's playing smart so we'll never know. But that silly ASCII stuff really has to stop man. It gives everyone the impression dude knows, then when decoded, it's nothing. Like, why?

Anyway, all this does is put trust in people and hold them in high regards and all these people do is take advantage of us. This is not cool. Defending them isn't cool either. I have no affiliation with anyone. I'm just a new member who took the words of others that this person and others are trustworthy. Now I'm back to trusting no one. Just official news.

Violet_0

Banned
so what about dem trees? Were people really trying to guess the location where the pictures were taken based on some damn trees?

Sblargh

Banned
The first leak was real, then due to the backlash, Nintendo planted someone on GAF to pretend it was all a joke.
Right now they are furiously redesigning the controller.

Jesus I just remembered people even attempted to match the mysterious reflection silhouette with people that appeared at Massive's website.

Gaffers are vicious man. I love it.

-Horizon-

so what about dem trees? Were people really trying to guess the location where the pictures were taken based on some damn trees?

Maybe. It all started with people noticing the keyboard placement not being in the normal layout. Conclusion was that it was probably Sweden. Jump to next conclusion if its a 3rd party, who is Nintendo most likely to give a devkit to? Answer - ubisoft. And what ubisoft studio just happened to be in sweden? Massive. Cross comparison with pics from the front of the company - suddenly zoom enhance on trees. Probably first floor or so.

But then people learned that the trees that were in front of Massive were removed and that particular pic of the company was old.

Top Bottom