• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Gaffer and his 3D printer trolled the world (2nd NX fake)

Jedi2016

After the official reveal:

Nintendo NX |OT| #TeamFAKE

As for this one... The first photo didn't have me convinced, because poor quality photos are so easy to fake.. I had a feeling it could have been CGI. But Kankki won me over because his was clearly a normal photograph, and technically speaking, there was nothing "fake" about the photos themselves. I will say good job on putting together something so good-looking in such a short time frame to add to the troll factor.. lol. I ain't even mad. :)

One of my co-workers actually didn't mind the design and was disappointed that they turned out fake.

Meatwad

Hi I just wanted to say I'm normally hugely skeptical of these kinds of leaks but you manged to fool me so bravo. It's these kinds of things that make a new console launch exciting

emb

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo we're back to were we used to be with NX: We still don't know shit. Hah.
Enjoy the wonder and mystery while it lasts... I have a feeling our expectations for the thing are way better by now than the reality will be.

Pinky

Banned
kankki
Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe

5OWd_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

BrunoM

Well that was great well played sir well played ..

I'm just so damn happy it's fake I need real buttons Nintendo he may have got you out of the biggest shit storm of your lives don't fuck up give us what we actually want lol ...

On a side note
HAHAHAHA
All those journalists and people with insider info that knew that it was real and sounded like all they were hearing ..

(Look it turning out to look just like it errr)

Mechazawa

What kind of blows my mind is that there wasn't some shared group planning this out. I would've thought the 3D printed one would have at least been given a zbrush or maya file or something and told to print it out, but no. Some completely different person who happened to own a 3d printer just fucking eyeballed it, despite not necessarily knowing whether it was fake or not, and then made one as a gag.

It's just a crazy confluence of shit kinda coming together.

The_Lump

Banned
People with common sense were right and people who were entirely gullible, impractical, and hopeful were wrong.

SHOCKING

Fwiw, vast majority of team real seemed to dislike the look of it and think it was going to be terrible. By the 2nd leak most of the chaos was between "lol nintendo fail" and "maybe it could work & here's why" factions, not between teamreal and teamfake.

I personally thought it looked cool as a product, but had reservations about ergonomics until we saw the size and the back.

OmegaDL50

What I want to know of the practical use of using a 3D Printer.

Could I effectively just take the guts / pcb of one of my existing game controllers and create a custom gamepad or something.

I'm guessing some kind of measuring needs to be done in Autocad or something so the PCB dimensions would fit inside the plastic shell.

This gives me an idea to modify one of my old Gamepads and make suitable emulator controller for my PC in the shape of either the Saturn pad or even the SNES controller.

I'm guessing creating a new shell is more expensive than simply buying one on the market?

So I suppose this would be only for a hobbyist project and not for the sake of practicality?

213372bu

Banned
Fwiw, vast majority of team real seemed to dislike the look of it and think it was going to be terrible. By the 2nd leak most of the chaos was between "lol nintendo fail" and "maybe it could work & here's why" factions, not between teamreal and teamfake.

I personally thought it looked cool as a product, but had reservations about ergonomics until we saw the size and the back.

Eh, everything past the N64 had ergonomics in mind, so for this to go so against that was so bizarre.

I was more referencing the people who thought playing Zelda U/NX looked good because of the mock up.

It would've require you to re-position your entire right hand off the analog stick and onto hitting a small attack back on the lower-left corner of the right analog stick.

Brinbe

Awesome job. Worth it for the amazing threads. You fakers bought Ninty a ton of free exposure and mindshare on GAF. Now EVERYONE will be hardcore checking to see what they actually do with NX now. Cannot fucking wait for that reveal.

Top Bottom