• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How A Team Of Two People Is Bringing Us 2014's Largest JRPG(Trails in the Sky:SC)

ZoddGutts

No word on XSeed bringing Zwei II, Xanadu Next and maybe Gurumi (PC version) to steam? Those games won't require as much translation time.

Agarest did well in the Steam charts after it was released. It's tough to draw any firm conclusions from that, but I'd wager it did well for them.

jdkluv

No word on XSeed bringing Zwei II, Xanadu Next and maybe Gurumi (PC version) to steam? Those games won't require as much translation time.

Add this masterpiece to the list too:

Sv32Mt4.png

XSEED please. Oh, and don't forget Dinosaur Resurrection.

wjFRqIg.png

I don't know about others, but Trails in the Sky series is known for its intricate world building, very detailed script, a lot of well-done foreshadowing and likable characters, great music and good gameplay.

544649936.jpg

This reads almost like a warning. Hopefully gamers are aware that this is a dialogue-heavy game, because otherwise all the community reviews will read "this game sucks, so much dialogue to skip through before you get to the action!"

This thread just made me buy the first game on my Vita, and I'm really excited to play it.

I've been wanting to get into a big, traditional jrpg, and since the sequel should be coming soon I figure this series will help the wait for Persona 5 feel less excruciating.

Knurek

This reads almost like a warning. Hopefully gamers are aware that this is a dialogue-heavy game, because otherwise all the community reviews will read "this game sucks, so much dialogue to skip through before you get to the action!"

I'd think that the games have still less dialogue than in PS:T.

I'd think that the games have still less dialogue than in PS:T.

Nah. Trails has more, so much that at times it feels like a poorly edited draft with all its superfluous dialogue and empty chatter. Great story, but economy of words is not its strength.

Still not sure if I will buy this.
I've played the first Tits on PSP and while it wasn't bad I think I expected too much. Some parts were incredibly slow, the graphics were bland and the music wasn't something to write home about. I somehow struggled to finish it but I did, thanks to the interesting world, characters and stories behind them.

Are the 2nd and 3rd game regarded as better games?

These guys are friggin' heroes. Never has anyone in this industry been so deserving of my money, I had honestly given up, still can't believe it's happening.

HarryKS

What are the going rates for Japanese to English/French translation? A rough estimate if someone is in the industry( translation).

Talking on a 'per word'(new) basis.

Jinko

I really liked TitS except the controls were clunky as hell, I really hope SC supports analogue controls.

Petrie

Banned
I played the first game on PSP for a bit but got frustrated with how much of the "completion" I knew I was missing. I hate being OCD. Don't know if I'll ever go back to it, but I do remember enjoying what I did play. Probably avoid this for the same OCD reasons I'd say though.

Shantom

This is one of my most anticipated games of the year, thank you Spacedrake! I hope the European psp release will be simultaneous with the American one, this game is perfect for portables.

ArjanN

Nice to hear them speak up about the success of Ys on Steam.

Should only help to get other devs/publishers to jump on board.

So excite. When is First Chapter coming to Steam? Has to be soon if the plan is to release Second Chapter by summer.

January would make a nice combo of Japanese releases with Revengeance and (possibly) Ikaruga. :)

Nah. Trails has more, so much that at times it feels like a poorly edited draft with all its superfluous dialogue and empty chatter. Great story, but economy of words is not its strength.

What it clearly tries to do is two things:

1) Give everyone something to say. I really get the impression that the writing team was influenced by a lot of titles from the late 90s and early noughts where a lot of characters just kind of... disappeared after joining the party. Trails goes out of its way to give all your party members SOMETHING to say about what's going on, to try and make them present and like people rather than roaming stat blocks. This is doubly true in SC where you actually end up having a lot of options about who is in your party, when.

I think the effectiveness of it might lie in the eye of the beholder, ultimately, but having played some older RPGs while working alongside SC, I can't help but feel there was a specific kind of problem and disconnect the writing team was trying to address.

2) Make the conversations sound natural. There is a lot of "unnecessary" dialogue, strictly speaking, in the text - but a good deal of it is the sort of give-and-take you find in conversations between friends and whatnot. This is especially true for the original Japanese, in a way that is once again rather difficult to sum up in a single forum post, and we're preserving that tone in the English version. It does end up being a little "too verbose", I suppose, by what most literature publishers would use as standards - but it's also clear that it was done with purpose, and I do think there are a number of places it works well.

Also, I didn't expect this to hit GAF so long after being posted. Hi dudes.
emot-3.gif
Always helps to see some hype get going for this. I hope people end up liking the final product!

kiriin

Still not sure if I will buy this.

Are the 2nd and 3rd game regarded as better games?

More of the same. SC continues after the ending of the the first. If you struggled to get through to get through the first then the series might not be for you. Nothing wrong with that.

DIALOGUE

DIALOGUE DIALOGUE DIALOGUE

DIALOGUE DIALOGUE

DIALOGUE DIALOGUE DIALOGUE DIALOGUE DIALOGUE DIALOGUE

DIALOGUE

DIALOGUE DIALOGUE

I gave up on TiTs after about 1.5 hours.

This is JRPGs in general.

King Boo

I wonder how Last Remnant sold on steam? Didn't really care for it, but it's probably the most recent AAAish turn based JRPG on the store.

that game is definitely my top 5 games every made in that generation. sadly i do not think it did well, so it's dead

CrazyDude

1) Give everyone something to say. I really get the impression that the writing team was influenced by a lot of titles from the late 90s and early noughts where a lot of characters just kind of... disappeared after joining the party. Trails goes out of its way to give all your party members SOMETHING to say about what's going on, to try and make them present and like people rather than roaming stat blocks. This is doubly true in SC where you actually end up having a lot of options about who is in your party, when.

I think the effectiveness of it might lie in the eye of the beholder, ultimately, but having played some older RPGs while working alongside SC, I can't help but feel there was a specific kind of problem and disconnect the writing team was trying to address.

2) Make the conversations sound natural. There is a lot of "unnecessary" dialogue, strictly speaking, in the text - but a good deal of it is the sort of give-and-take you find in conversations between friends and whatnot. This is especially true for the original Japanese, in a way that is once again rather difficult to sum up in a single forum post, and we're preserving that tone in the English version. It does end up being a little "too verbose", I suppose, by what most literature publishers would use as standards - but it's also clear that it was done with purpose, and I do think there are a number of places it works well.

emot-3.gif
Always helps to see some hype get going for this. I hope people end up liking the final product!

Is the way people speak going to be consistent with the way it was in the first one?

Interfectum

Now if someone could port the Suikoden series to Steam complete with Steam Cloud and Achievements I'd be one of the happiest gamers on the planet.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard a lot of good things about TitS, so I'm happy that the first chapter is coming to PC, since I don't own a PSP or Vita. Didn't know the second chapter was coming too, though! More jrpgs on Steam can't be a bad thing at all.

Is the way people speak going to be consistent with the way it was in the first one?

Yep, it'll be consistent. A few characters may seem a little "different" simply because they have a hell of a lot more to say and do (Scherazard is probably the biggest example of this), but we're doing our level best to keep things consistent.

flowsnake

Can't feel hyped for this, I think I refuse to believe it's actually coming. I'm...looking forward to looking forward to this.

Also I will buy FC on Steam for full price, release it already.

Taruranto

Yeah, it's funny, I'm totally that kind of person, but I just couldn't believe how extreme TiTS was. I love text-heavy games in general, but it was just.. yeah. I can see how people would like it though, if they like the characters (I didn't; thought they were way too cartoony).

To be fair, a lot of text in TiTS could easily have been trimmed down, it felt like those unedited books.

Played the first one on the PSP and want to play it again before SC arrives but I'm torn between Vita and PC. I'll have to stick with the system I choose for the whole franchise and I'm not sure what to do, it's definitely the kind of game I'd rather play on a handheld but I'm assuming the PC version will look better.
I'm worried that the third game might end up being steam only since the vita is on life support.

matmanx1

I owned the PSP UMD for this but never finished it due to selling my PSP and saving for a Vita. The game is quality and the text heavy nature of it never bothered me. No, the only thing I would change about the game (if I could pick one thing) is the speed of the combat.
I like JRPG's with snappy combat and TiTS was a little bit slow for me on the PSP.

Nevertheless, I'm planning on double dipping once the Steam release hits as long as the price is reasonable.

SC's release is some of the best gaming news that RPG fans in America have had in a very long time. One of the reasons I never bothered to go back and finish TiTS is because I didn't think we would be getting the rest of the series. So, thank you, Carpe Fulgur and XSEED. Sometimes good things do happen!

flowsnake

What's the full name of the game ? It's nowhere in the article. :/

The first paragraph says The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC. The second paragraph says that SC means second chapter.

I'm not sure if they're calling it SC or Second Chapter officially.

It's so weird reading people getting hyped about this game when I have already played it 6-7 years ago...

Anyway, assuming there hasn't been any changes for the PC version, I just want to make 2 comments:
1) The PC version doesn't look that good anyway, so don't make that a deciding protable/PC choice factor.

2) Mouse controls won't feel as natural since there is no right click context/action menu:
I guess I'm sort of spoiled by TGL and their Farland series, which had the action commands available through a right click menu. In SnK FC/SC you have to perform this extra step of moving your cursor to the command icon to perform a move. In that sense, it's better that people stick to keyboard/gamepad only.

Carpe Fulgur: Big Goddamn Heroes

Sounds great, but I really wish Valve actively seeked out Japanese devs themselves. It seems that most of them have to go through translations hurdles just to get in contact with them.

If they had a specific group to get in contact with J-Indie devs we could be getting a lot more games on Steam that we would have never ever heard of otherwise, but at least Carpe Fulgur is there.

They did.

Also, Capcpom, SE, Sega put up new ones irregularly of their own volition.

All of those examples are action RPGs. None of them are particularly story-driven either. It will be interesting to see if a turn-based, story-heavy JRPG can achieve success too.

And?

This thread just made me buy the first game on my Vita, and I'm really excited to play it.

I've been wanting to get into a big, traditional jrpg, and since the sequel should be coming soon I figure this series will help the wait for Persona 5 feel less excruciating.

Congratulations! These two series go very well together, they're the bash brothers of outstanding light RPG plots.

emot-3.gif

I distinctly remember pointing this very problem out to my brothers and a friend who played RPGs back when as I played FFIX and Grandia 2 (but also giving FFT a pass due the sky-high bodycount in that making it dicey and understandable). Later games like Trails were similar, characters flitted in and out of "existance" as it were, being units only the rest of the time. Persona 2: EP and to a much less dialogue-heavy extent Suikoden cultivated personality. Much of the dialogue was of personalities interacting naturally rather than words in the service of stating something to the player. The characters did not cease to be when not in use, like tools. It's as if the various heads of characters, story, and cutscenes didn't work as one team or something...

Someone mentioned Golden Sun: Dark Dawn as the negative antithesis of Trails and that's that EXACT mistake writ large. Empty, meaningless WORDS instead of conversation.

Top Bottom