• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you going to manage storage for PS5 and XBox Series X games?

Sushen

For both systems, internal storage won't be big enough to many games. How do you plan on managing them?

Delete them and re-download them as needed? Backup older games in external HDD? Buy fancier but more expensive SSDs as secondary storages like jukebox?

I'm still deciding and curious of other ideas.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How many games do you play simultaneously? On my 1TB Xbox One X I have about 25 games installed - and even if next-gen games are double in size it means I'd still have room for a dozen.

Beat and delete.

Sushen

As game sizes will only grow, I don't know if I like to download huge games over again. I don't know, probably limited internal storage force me to be more organized than having many unfinished games laying around.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'll be getting an external HDD for my BC games for sure. Just need to decide which drive. Maybe I'll wait for a 2 TB external to be reasonable.

Not that hard, on the Xbox I can still use USB storage just can’t play games off them. So put the games I’m not gonna play in a USB.

I do the same for my pc games. I literally only have a 1tb nvme drive as internal storage.

Last edited:
I picked up two 5GB external drives. I have no problem with transferring them to ssd when needed and I have no problem playing old games off them.

edit: I am assuming the games kept on the external drives will also get updated.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'll keep what I'm playing on the SSD and either park stuff on the USB external drive or delete it.

TaySan

Banned
All third party games will be played on PC so I shouldn't have storage issues on either system for a good while anyway.

Ridaxan

I'm planning on using the PS5 only for exclusives this time around. So if all goes well, I should only ever have one game downloaded to it at a time.

How many games do you play simultaneously? On my 1TB Xbox One X I have about 25 games installed - and even if next-gen games are double in size it means I'd still have room for a dozen.

Beat and delete.

This. One multiplayer like Fortnite and one or two single player games. I rarely play more then one at a time.

Last edited:

GamerEDM

Banned
i think i should be ok for 2 years after that prices for expansion ssd's should have come down significantly

Last edited:
I'm PS5 only for consoles this coming gen. I'll play anything that skips PS5 on PC. Since the standard storage is low, I've decided that I'll spend the money for an expansion drive. My plan is to go ahead and waste a ton of money on one that meets the PS5's spec requirements so that I can play directly off the expansion as well as the internal drive. I really don't relish the idea of having to play tetris between the two drives every time I want to play something. Some would argue I'm throwing away hundreds of dollars to be lazy, and maybe that's true. But I generally only delete a game when I'm certain I'm never going to touch it again and neither console is providing us with enough storage to file and forget. While I'll probably wait 6 to 12 months to do the SSD upgrade, I definitely feel going all out and buying one that meets the specs for running games directly from it is worth the extra investment.

jigglet

Banned
Like any sensible person; delete stuff I don't play, then in 12 months when prices are basically dirt cheap, upgrade. I don't know why everyone is talking as if it's going to take many years till they're reasonably priced. We have so much historical data to work with - even going back to the old disk drives, to SSD's, to first gen NVMe's, they've all dropped like a rock after not long. Why does anyone assume this will be any different? Even MS's proprietary format will be dirt cheap + whatever markup they have. The markup will suck but we're talking about what, $20-50 at most. Boo hoo. Juggle the "fridge" for 12 months, at which point this is a non-issue.

Last edited:

The Shepard

Using 2 1tb ssd for PS4/xbox one games and got 2 external hhd for games I'm not playing. Will upgrade the internal ssd on the ps5 when the price comes down, same with the xbox ssd upgrade.

ancelotti

The process of moving games back and forth to an external drive looked pretty seamless on the Series X, and I assume Sony will have something similar, so I don't think it will be that big of a deal for anyone.

IDappa

In the process of either deleting games I have been meaning to play but haven't touched in months to years and moving games I Want to play/finish on next gen and games I regularly play. I am also trying to finish games I have started but stopped playing.

Once next gen comes around I'll have the external harddrive full of those games and will one by one finish them and try not to horde my games like this gen.

Daymos

I'm not dealing with all the moving/deleting crap, I'm just going to wait and get a ps5 later on. I assume we'll be able to buy a 2tb+ SSD to put in the ps5 for a reasonable price some year. XBox with it's proprietary storage for $230 is a bad move.

You guys can all buy the new consoles and test them out, I'll show up later when all the bugs are worked out.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
OP should add a poll to this thread asking about whether we have super fast broadband or not, because the only reason to need extra storage in 2020 is if you don’t.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
almost was convinced to buy nvme drive with enclosure during prime day but decided to hold off and just use my old 2tb drive for now and move what ill play on there and for the ps5 eventually upgrade the drive internally. I'll plan more once I see if the transfer speed matter much for me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For both systems, internal storage won't be big enough to many games. How do you plan on managing them?

Delete them and re-download them as needed? Backup older games in external HDD? Buy fancier but more expensive SSDs as secondary storages like jukebox?

I'm still deciding and curious of other ideas.

I usually beat the game and delete it. With a good internet connection, you shouldn't worry (I'm 100% digital since later 2014). I've installed a 2TB on my PS4, but might install a 7GB/s PS5-certified SSD just for more headroom, could be 1-2TB. Might as well take a cheaper and slower NVMe (~3GB/s) just to take games in/out of the main SSD if that function goes smoothly.

Mr Hyde

I will just delete the game when I'm finished. If I'm feeling the need to play it again I will just reinstall it. I also have a 1TB external storage so I'll probably just transfer games from there to the SSD. But I am planning on buying a bigger SSD in the future when the price has gone down. Shit is just too expensive now. Not worth it imo.

2tb hdd for cold storage and have only a handful of games on the ssd. Indies dont take a lot of space, one main game, one multiplayer game /destiny 2. I hate being scatterbrain like I am now with too many games to choose from my ps4 pro.

_SAKY_

I don't believe that 1 TB is going to be a problem any time soon. It isn't now, and I even have COD installed :). I don't have a need to keep 100 games ready. I play 1 or 2 things at a time and the move on. If I want to go back I'll just download the game again.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I will fill the SSD with games I don't want to play and complain about nothing having space for the game I do want to play.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I just deleted 100 games on my 1X, have a 1TB external hdd hooked up and decided Im only gonna have games installed which Im actually playing and deleting them when finished. So both consoles should have more than enough space for me.

Last edited:

Skyfox

It's a major problem for me because I only play AAA and I tend to buy a lot and bounce around.

Whats the point in fast loading if I've to download 100GB every time I'm in the mood for something on my library?

Last gen should have been 2TB.

Leaving this gen with like 800GB is a straight up

SIN.

Fortunately I have fibre broadband, but still.

Quasicat

I use a 5tb drive currently on my One X. It’s at 94% right now thanks to a bunch of purchases over the years and a bunch of GamePass titles. I will plug it into the next Xbox and play the games from system memory that I’m into at that moment. I usually only hop between 4 or 5 titles at a time.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Or who is a horder and who isn’t ? Lol

I will probably get a 1 tb expansion drove at some point just because but I only play 2 or 3 games at one time.

LordOfChaos

I hope the 9th gen doesn't need to take over your whole screen to transfer things from an archive external drive to internal, like current gen does. I think I'd go with that rather than internal expansion, might help focus on a working set of games rather than being able to play everything on all drives.

Fox Mulder

I really only play a couple games at once. I’m not paying hundreds of dollars for external storage. Downloading a 100GB game only takes like an hour anyways and I have no data cap.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm waiting on to see how long it takes to install from disc, currently I only have the Xbox Series X as reference which takes 35mins to install Titanfall 2 from disc.
This isn't good enough and I imagine PS5 is the same but hoping it ain't
But I'm thinking 5TB HDD but if I can have two5TB HDD's I Will.
That's until those PS5 compatible SSD come down in price because currently the size and price is unacceptable

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Maybe as a cope I'll regress to my college days, drinking Beast, eating Totino's pizza, and only playing CoD since it will take up the whole SSD anyway.

Damigos

Beat and delete
I cant imagine myself play simultaneously more than 10 games. I usually play max 2 games (1 AAA and 1 indie)

Top Bottom