• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can gaming customers be fixed?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
if it caused you enough grief to make you make a thread like this, then yeah, it was stupid. Not to mention a waste of your free time. Maybe when you grow up you'll appreciate it more (bdoughty-style condescending attitude).

bdoughty said:
Yes and it can all be summed up by a quote from Randal.

"Cute cat, whats its name?"

"Annoying customer."

Simple solution... Stop being so damn annoying.

Randal is a shitty role model. That's why you're catching so much heat in this thread, because you're painting this picture of a depressive, unmotivated, inelegant and uncultured layabout who thinks that, because the world doesn't bow down and kiss his used-game-pushing ass, he is somehow justified in trying to bring the rest of the world down to his sorry level.

Of course, that's probably not who you really are, but perhaps you should also consider that not all WWE fans **** their sisters.

Why should anyone give you the benefit of the doubt if you insist on being so judgmental?

bdoughty

Banned
levious said:
if it caused you enough grief to make you make a thread like this, then yeah, it was stupid.

Comparing the validity of a part time job to an internet post. I bet you like Nascar also. Who is your favorite driver? Come on you know you want to tell me.

bdoughty said:
OMG someone on the internet insulted another persons favorite video game genre. Someone pull the plug on the servers.

If I had a nickel for every post here at GAF that mocked sports games and/or gamers I could buy an NFL franchise. Rolls of back because not everyone likes sports games. Let them have the Pikachu.

------------- GAF Serach -------------

* Insert 4,034,459 replies of

You are just buying yearly roster updates, har har you morons.

And the sheer irony contiues to go right over your head.

You worked in a video game store, you're just as much of a loser/geek as those customers that come through the door. I just find it funny you have the nerve to call everyone else out about it.

Take this for what it's worth, but you might want to ease back the whole wrasslin thing. One of the mods might take exception to it.

bdoughty

Banned
ghostlyjoe said:
Randal is a shitty role model. That's why you're catching so much heat in this thread, because you're painting this picture of a depressive, unmotivated, inelegant and uncultured layabout who thinks that, because the world doesn't bow down and kiss his used-game-pushing ass, he is somehow justified in trying to bring the rest of the world down to his sorry level.

Of course, that's probably not who you really are, but perhaps you should also consider that not all WWE fans **** their sisters.

Why should anyone give you the benefit of the doubt if you insist on being so judgmental?

No I was trying to post a counterpoint to the "How can EB/GS" be fixed thread. Some people can see the sarcasm flowing from a keyboard, others not so much.

I am fully aware that not all WWE fans **** their sisters. I mean crap if they did that it would make their cousins awfully jealous. :D

bdoughty

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
And the sheer irony contiues to go right over your head.

You worked in a video game store, you're just as much of a loser/geek as those customers that come through the door. I just find it funny you have the nerve to call everyone else out about it.

Take this for what it's worth, but you might want to ease back the whole wrasslin thing. One of the mods might take exception to it.

I also worked as a bouncer at a strip club while in college. Does that make me a badass? No it was just a job and I can handle my own. I play video games, primarily sports games. Does that make me a loser/geek? Nope. I have plenty of other hobbies.

So a mod will ban me for saying bad stuff about Wraslin'? Now that is funny.

bdoughty

Banned
Ranger X said:
This thread should be closed as it's impossible to be on topic as it seems.

The reality is the consumer, especially some of the ones who have posted here live by the, "the customer is always right line of thinking."

Never has such a line been farther from the truth.

MoxManiac

the ability to take free games home (rental)

Please tell me clerks aren't allowed to actually take gutted games home and still sell them new afterwards anymore. I thought that horrible policy was removed.

bdoughty

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Please tell me clerks aren't allowed to actually take gutted games home and still sell them new afterwards anymore. I thought that horrible policy was removed.

It's back as best I know. I was in a Gamestop not too long ago and they mentioned the policy was brought back. Pretty sure the EB stores will or now have that same ability.

Which will start another flood of "OMG EB/GS is selling us used games."

MoxManiac

Well, at least I know about it now. That would explain the missing bonus disc from WA:ACF that I almost bought. Looks like it's back to refusing gutted copies for me...

bdoughty said:
I also worked as a bouncer at a strip club while in college. Does that make me a badass? No it was just a job and I can handle my own. I play video games, primarily sports games. Does that make me a loser/geek? Nope. I have plenty of other hobbies.

So a mod will ban me for saying bad stuff about Wraslin'? Now that is funny.

That makes you a hypocritical loser/geek. Compounded by the fact you worked behind the counter. They don't hire people unless they have some idea of what's going on in the gaming world. Like I said, you have some nerve....

And yes a mod will ban you for trash talking wrestling... that man is Bishop.

bdoughty

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
That makes you a hypocritical loser/geek. Compounded by the fact you worked behind the counter. They don't hire people unless they have some idea of what's going on in the gaming world. Like I said, you have some nerve....

And yes a mod will ban you for trash talking wrestling... that man is Bishop.

Please EB and Gamestop hire non gamers all the time. You could not be more further from the truth. The manager of the one EB here prefered non-gamers as they focused more on full line selling and yapped with their buddies less.

Now let me dawn the nerd glasses...

My spidey senses are tingling. Based on what little I know about the type of person/poster you are from previous posts and the mention of this mod.... My money says you have already sent this Bishop person a PM to come to your aid and protect the hive of wraslin' fans.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Aside from the fact that some wrestlers haven't changed their hairstyle since 1984 (here's looking at you, Van Dam!), I never understood the whole "Wrasslin = redneck a-hyuck!" Hell, there was a time (1999 or so, when I was a senior in HS), where like 90% of the males at the school owned wrestling shirts and would watch RAW religiously, including myself (though I stopped following it when I got to college). And this isn't in the deep south, this is a suburb of NYC. Speaking of which, MSG almost immediately sells out when a big wrestling event (my friends were trying to get tickets for the ECW reunion show in Queens and they were gone in like 7 minutes!), and Japan and Canada are also big on the sport...

Still, whether its wrestling or RPG fans or NASCAR fans, you should just keep cool for a while and not resort to personal attacks, methinks... I don't like sports games (aside from oldskool/arcadey ones like Baseball Stars or NFL Blitz or the Genesis NHLs) but I'm not ripping on them compulsively... it just hurts your main argument.

bdoughty

Banned
djtiesto said:
Aside from the fact that some wrestlers haven't changed their hairstyle since 1984 (here's looking at you, Van Dam!), I never understood the whole "Wrasslin = redneck a-hyuck!" Hell, there was a time (1999 or so, when I was a senior in HS), where like 90% of the males at the school owned wrestling shirts and would watch RAW religiously, including myself (though I stopped following it when I got to college). And this isn't in the deep south, this is a suburb of NYC. Speaking of which, MSG almost immediately sells out when a big wrestling event (my friends were trying to get tickets for the ECW reunion show in Queens and they were gone in like 7 minutes!), and Japan and Canada are also big on the sport...

Still, whether its wrestling or RPG fans or NASCAR fans, you should just keep cool for a while and not resort to personal attacks, methinks... I don't like sports games (aside from oldskool/arcadey ones like Baseball Stars or NFL Blitz or the Genesis NHLs) but I'm not ripping on them compulsively... it just hurts your main argument.

You have to go back to the 70's and 80's when wrestling was big on the South. Sure it has followings in many places but the big draw was in the south.

This was pretty much the TBS lineup in the 80's

Wraslin
Braves Baseball (bad Braves baseball I might add - No offense to Dale & Bob)
More Wraslin
Beverly Hillbillies

Never forget

hart_jimmy-sun.jpg

Easy to say keep your cool but as I explained earlier sports games/gamers get bashed all the time. Are RPG and Wraslin fans immune from a little sarcastic humor?

I don't like the aggresiveness of our sales pitches, but the sad fact is I could easily be fired at the EB I work at. Now that we're part of Gamestop, we get their secret shopper program. I scored the lowest possible score when I got secret shopped, and I got a first and final warning about it. The main part of the score? Trade-in greeting. You guys want to know why you're always asked for them? It's because the employees job is on the line if they don't.

i remember working at KB Toys for the winter. we had to ask everyone if they needed batteries, and i mean everyone. even if it was a 6 year old buying 50 cent candy, it still needed to be done. the best thing from that job was getting a launch ps2, though it was in a bundle and no employee discount.

bdoughty said:
Easy to say keep your cool but as I explained earlier sports games/gamers get bashed all the time. Are RPG and Wraslin fans immune from a little sarcastic humor?
....but no one was bashing sports titles when you started your little tirade.

To be honest I never commented on any genre you may like, mainly because it doesn't matter.

I do find it funny your distaste for wrestling considering most wrestlers come from the NFL. The most recent example is former Patriots player Monty Brown.

bigfatgameguy said:
i remember working at KB Toys for the winter. we had to ask everyone if they needed batteries, and i mean everyone. even if it was a 6 year old buying 50 cent candy, it still needed to be done. the best thing from that job was getting a launch ps2, though it was in a bundle and no employee discount.

I did my time in KB hell. A whole 3 weeks. I knew I was only there until I made a certain amount so I didn't care about items per transactions or batteries. I was just nice and rushed people through.

bdoughty said:
Now let me dawn the nerd glasses...

My spidey senses are tingling. Based on what little I know about the type of person/poster you are from previous posts and the mention of this mod.... My money says you have already sent this Bishop person a PM to come to your aid and protect the hive of wraslin' fans.
...and just shows how little you actually know. I don't really care if a mod nails you or not I'm not one to "tattle-tale".
It's not like Bish isn't well known for his distaste for those who troll wrestling. It's fairly legendary. It seems you didn't get that memo.

Your "money" can be crammwed up your ass as you just continue reinforcing your point of being a smug prick.

Ranger X

MoxManiac said:

Just to clear things out, it's not permitted at Ebgames at least. (never worked at Gamestop so i won't pronounce myself about them)
At Ebgames you're not even allowed to put a game in the boots. The only instance you have to do it is actually when you have to try a defective game from a customer.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
bdoughty said:
Almost...

The worst job is dealing (via phone) with anyone who purchases product on the "internet." See they are on the other side of a phone jack and have no problem calling you every name in the book.

Wrong.

The worst job is being a janitor who works at a sports venue/arena for $5.65 Canadian hour. When the Canadian buck was .75 cents to the U.S. dollar that was approx. $4.25 U.S. an hour. 40 hours of work = $180 CDN / $135 U.S.

Picking up someone's vomit in the stands during a Spice Girls concert with 12,000 people is much worse than speaking to people over the phone like a robot.

QUIT ****ING ASKING IF I WANT TO PRE-ORDER FCK!!!

**** YOU AND YOUR COMPLAINING AND **** WHOEVER ASKS ME IF I WANT TO ****ING BUY A USED GAME
:lol

MrToughPants

Typical conversation when I go to EB

Me: Could I get Oblivion for PC please.
EB: Sure... did you bring in any used games
ME:...(hands are empty) No.
EB: Would you like an extended warranty on your game, if ever it scratches or breaks you can exchange it for 'said' dollars.. yada yada yada...

2 mins later

ME: No thanks
EB: Would you like to pre-order a Frame City Killer?
ME: What the ****...
EB: Won't be too long, plays with his PC.
ME: (I could kill this guy and nobody would care)
EB: Ok that will said dollars
Me:(Pays for game)

...before leaving store

EB: Remeber to bring in any used games.

Drop kicks Eb employee in face

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
MrToughPants said:
Drop kicks Eb employee in face

As much as I'm a peaceful guy, I will say that if all gaming customers did this, we'd probably have a better shopping experience in the future.

"Do you want to sell back your games to us for pennies on the dollar?"
THWACK!

"Do you want to buy this useless trinket / guide?"
THWACK!

"Did you give us your money yet for items which won't be available for another year?"
THWACK!

"You don't own a (insert random system name here)? You're missing out on (insert random phrase here)!"
THWACK!

"It's my job -- I'm supposed to push preorders / push magazines / push used copies of Madden / break legs!"
THWACK!

"Oh, you lowly customers are such pains! Why can't you be a good little conformist consumer and do what I want you to do?"
THWACK!

Stitchy

MrToughPants said:
Typical conversation when I go to EB
EB: Would you like an extended warranty on your game, if ever it scratches or breaks you can exchange it for 'said' dollars.. yada yada yada...

This doesn't usually bother me, until they get up to the third or fourth time of asking this question.

Then I'll purchase the warranty, go home, and urinate on the product, and return it to the same saleperson.

When they ask me what's wrong, I'll reply "I dunnno. I played the game once, and now the game doesn't smell right. I'm glad u talking me into the extended warranty, dood."

If your store is supposed to be open until 9 PM, stop locking your doors at 8:54. If you don't want me to ever return to your store, this is a great way of accomplishing that.

Also, please stop selling the display copies at full price if they've been opened, and it looks like someone's wiped their ass with the instruction book. It's not fair. At all.

one big problem i have as a customer is that I can't get to the store until about 6:30 or so because I work a job that doesn't suck balls. So I usually call ahead to make sure a title is in stock and ask if i can get a hold on it as I know they carry a fairly small number of copies. The people ALWAYS give me shit about holding it. One time when i came in to pick up a title the guys then said, "you know, you're lucky i even held that for you. if someone came in to buy it i would have sold it to them instead. Putting things on hold and answering the phone is a real hassle for me." I've never been back.

Of course, not all employees are total tools. There is a GameStop about 25 minutes out of the way for me and, if i have time, I go to that store instead of the 4 different stores that are near my house because the staff at the other store are actually great guys. They even do the whole sales spiel you guys have to do without being an abusive asshole. Just a quick, oh btw did you bring in any used games." me: no i don't really trade my games. "oh, okay." no bullshit needed.

MrToughPants

meltpotato said:
one big problem i have as a customer is that I can't get to the store until about 6:30 or so because I work a job that doesn't suck balls. So I usually call ahead to make sure a title is in stock and ask if i can get a hold on it as I know they carry a fairly small number of copies. The people ALWAYS give me shit about holding it. One time when i came in to pick up a title the guys then said, "you know, you're lucky i even held that for you. if someone came in to buy it i would have sold it to them instead. Putting things on hold and answering the phone is a real hassle for me." I've never been back.

This has happened to me about five ****ing times...it's so ****ing annoying. The guy talks shit on the phone like he wants to make his presence felt until I show up at EB games and you can literally smell the fear as the pale white pencil neck ass shits his pants.

I'm sorry...i'll ****ing pre-order a video game a year in advance netx time like it was a relic sports car manufactured for only a dozen people.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ZombieSupaStar said:
i used to rub the games on my sweaty crotch when id get customers in i didnt like.
infact most of us did.

That's charming -- the plastic wrap on games is there to protect us from game store employees, it seems.

DavidDayton said:
That's charming -- the plastic wrap on games is there to protect us from game store employees, it seems.

Unless it's the last one.. then they've unwrapped it, covered it in stickers... THEN wiped their crotches all over it. (for no discount of course)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I know I'm late responding to the first post, but I've got one more hour to waste at work. :)

I also did my part in retail; I worked at the same game store for nine years (high school through college), while continuing to shop at other game stores as well. The bottom line is that there are problems on both sides of the counter. People are going to be stupid no matter where you work or go shop.

That said, (and I posted this once before in another thread) it's amazing how game stores are run and how people act where I'm living now (Japan). No bullshit pre-order/magazine subscription crap pushed on you, no stupid kids or "thugs" hanging out, just people looking for an item, buying or selling, and leaving. The clerks will not ask you if you need help; instead you have to go to them, but they are ALWAYS at the counter and ALWAYS ready to answer whatever questions you might have without any attitude. Huge difference.

bdoughty said:
* Just bring your lazy ass in and stop making calls with a list of 30 games you need pricing on. Seriously most of the smaller EB/GS stores only have one or two people working the counter to begin with, trying to do the work of three.

Yup, this was always quite annoying, especially after I would tell them we didn't give out price quotes over the phone, which was always followed with the same "But I live an hour away!!!!!" whine. And what happens when you tell them the price? If they like it, they show up...

...10 minutes later.

* Smokers, if you trade in your system at the very least rub it down to get goo from your tar ridden fingers off everything.

I don't know if you could get away with this at an EB or Gamestop, but at my store, if one of the owners or "disctrict manager" (we only had four stores) wasn't around saying to "take everything, we can clean it up," I would just flat-out refuse to buy the really filthy crap. Especially systems covered with tar stains or with the body parts of little insects coming out of them. :x

* Put the freaking game box back where you found it. Were some of you raised in a barn?

It would be nice if everyone did this, but when it boils down to it, they're the customers; it's the clerk's job to keep the store looking neat and in order.

* If you don't want the magazine just say no and do it with a simple. These guys are forced by their managers to say this stuff and if you knew all the crap they dealt with. Working retail and dealing with consumers just flat sucks. Understand that and don't make their life any more miserable then it already is.

It sucks that you have to push this on customers, but I also don't like saying "no thanks,"a and then having the clerk CONTINUE to push this garbage on me, or have another clerk start up the same crap after the other stops talking.

* Check your NeoGaf at the door....Please for the love of all things round and full of dough, do not use "internet speak" at the counter.

Definitely. It depended on the customer though; some guys were actually pretty cool, and I didn't mind chatting with them, or even showing them the latest game that I had just picked up. I didn't mind a bit of a chat with customers, as long as they bought stuff, and the store wasn't busy.

One of the easiest ways to stop these people from talking to you, however, is to just say "Oh, I don't play games." If this turns into them trying to "teach" you about them, just start doing something like pretending to check inventory, or tell them you have to call another location to check on something. One guy I worked with used to have a clever method of calling his cell phone from the store phone, then pretending to talk to his friends until the (ultra-annoying) person finally walked away. :)

* If you do not want a gutted game, simply ask to see if there is an unopened copy. If one is not available then you can declare this practice unacceptable and move on to another store.

Why does the shop gut games in the first place? Why are you offering me an opened game for full price? If I bought the same game and tried to return it after having opened it, the store wouldn't take it back. That's a crappy policy; the stores doing this are essentially selling used titles for new prices.

* Do not ask where you can get a game cheaper.

Yup. Although if we didn't have an item in stock and I didn't think we'd get it anytime soon, I would tell them where to find it elsewhere. But usually, just saying "I don't know" worked well enough.

* Turn your cell phones to OFF or STUN the balls. This should be implied when you walk into any place of business.

It IS annoying, but there's no law against doing it. The most annoying thing was the guy talking to me AND the person on the phone at the same time, or the guy that got a call mid-sentence and just stomps off not buying anything, but whatever.

* Yea you only get 50 cents for Madden 2001 for the PS2. Deal with it you broke ass chump. :D

This was always good for a laugh. "MAN WTF I PAID LIKE $59.99 FOR THIS MANG!!11" was usually the reaction. Usually just saying "this game already has 5-6 sequels" and then showing them how MANY copies we already have unsold, or making up something like "we have 200 copies still in the warehouse brand new that we can't get rid of!" shut them up.

terrene said:
I wasn't even referring to you, retard. See post #41. Not that being a manager at Gamestop is super-cool, either. (Let me guess, first you make sure your halfwit employees are shoving used games down everyone's throat, then you supervise game re-sealing, then it's off to snort coke out of a Brazillian stripper's asscrack, right?)

Uh what?

Excuse me.. A manager would be a counter monkey as well.. Think about it. Do you think managers dont work behind counters.

I work at Corporate not behind a counter. Grow a brain dumb****.

Top Bottom