• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can gaming customers be fixed?

terrene said:
So as long as we're trading stereotypes, douchebags who sell RPG strategy guides for a living aren't exactly Living La Vida Loca.
Once again.. Im not a counter monkey at gamestop..

I work at gamestop but I do not work behind a counter..

I make good money too.

usux go watch some naruto filler

I read the manga, its pretty good :)

SaggyMonkey said:
If you end up in Orange County, I'll show you at least two. (and am aware of others, but tend to stick to the two closest ones)

But in general, continuing to go to Gamestop reinforces on a corporate level that their employee behavior works. (for ex. asking if i have trade-ins, if i'm holding no bag, box, anything... where does he think i keep them?) If you don't have locals, hit-up Target or something.

The asking about trade ins is to assure the every customer knows about the ability to trade in games. Yes I know its likely they know anyway. Yes I know its on stickers all over the store. Its just another one of those small things that people online have hate-ons about and its meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Just reply "I like to keep my games" or something similar and be done with it.

the.tutelary said:
Just reply "I like to keep my games" or something similar and be done with it.

Doesn't work out here. The same people would recognize me and continue to badger. You can only tell people so many times that you never trade in games. The local stores don't hassle me (despite having large used game sections), and they get a shitload of my money now.

Odysseus

Banned
I find the original post a very pleasant change of pace from the weekly "I hate EB they are teh sux0rz" posts.

I think one or two folks in here could perhaps lighten up.

privately owned stores just arent very numerous, regardless of your location. Its not like that in the rest of the country, I can assure you. As stated "they arent getting rich off it". People enter business to make money, and good money, a gaming store is not a worthwhile establishment for an individual to open.

the.tutelary said:
privately owned stores just arent very numerous, regardless of your location. Its not like that in the rest of the country, I can assure you. As stated "they arent getting rich off it". People enter business to make money, and good money, a gaming store is not an worthwhile establishment for a individual to open.

All the more reason to support the ones you find!

SaggyMonkey said:
All the more reason to support the ones you find!

yeah, sorry I cant drive over an hour to the only one in my state, simply not practical.

put it this way, they are far more rare than even dedicated comic book stores.

Geez, which state? Even still, I'd pick Target or Best Buy over Gamestop. Target employees don't feel compelled to tell me about their filthy alliance paladins.

Juice

bdoughty said:
* Put the freaking game box back where you found it. Were some of you raised in a barn?

In my experience, people raised in barns are far more likely to come from traditional conservative farming families, and as a result more--not less--likely to be courteous in such dealings.

bdoughty

Banned
Juice said:
In my experience, people raised in barns are far more likely to come from traditional conservative farming families, and as a result more--not less--likely to be courteous in such dealings.

Yet they leave their barn doors open. Who woulda thunk it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wafflecopter said:
Yes, the people who are bitching about customers.

too bad the internet does not have an option to smack you. Why don't YOU work for EB for a year and see how you feel about customers.

SaggyMonkey said:
That's the way it should be at big stores! When it comes to games, I don't need any of their information or their opinion.

Well thats not going to happen. In any store the employees must ask if customers need any help or even have to pitch whatever offer sale, crap the store has because it is there job to do so. When I walk into GAP, I usually know what I want to buy, but i don't become an asshole if some clerk asks if i need help or even pitch some sale to me, I politely say no thanks and be on my way.

I don't get why you people have to be assholes to clerks. Its their damn job to help you and/or try and get you to buy more. You think these people are doing this because they love it? If people did what they love, there would be no customer service anywhere especially when dealing with customers in sales jobs.

bdoughty

Banned
Zyid said:
Come say it to our faces next time we step into your sorry store instead of shoving used shit down our throats.

OUR? As in you are part of a crew of people?

Yea I can just see that.

Cedar%20Point%20005.jpg

Can your "possy" put down their GBA's long enough to hear me say it to your faces?

neojubei said:
WRONG. Work doing customer service for a while. If sucks ass every ****ing day.

i did. then i quit and got a job that didn't suck. i also quit a shitty retail job and got a much better one.

if you don't like your job, get a new one and stop bitching about it. do GS employees not choose to work there? i was not aware that it was some form of slavery.

AniHawk

Another requirement should be to SPEAK ENGLISH.

A Chinese woman came into the store today and tried to haggle with me on the prices of games.

Me: Uh, that's 15 dollars.
Her, covering the ".99" part of the price tag: 14.
Me: Uh. FIFteen.
Her: 14. *picks up another game.* 7?
Me: EIGHT.

It went on like that for a while. I was being as polite as possible, but I was surprised she was actually trying to talk down the price. Eventually she picked out four games that totalled to $25 or something because apparently the price stickers were old.

Shogun

bdoughty said:
Ahh RPG guy who shops online because of that whole girls/cooties scare. I feel you man. Stepping outside is not for everyone. God bless e-commerce and the people who sell Magic the Gathering cards online.

I find it odd you would be so openly hostile to the one guy who wasn't openly hostile to you at the start. As for the topic, I think people over react to all the shit at gamestop like being asked questions, but when it comes to gutted copies it's mainly that if a person doesn't catch that, they are purchasing something for more than it's worth, and thats worth complaining about. And it's not a viable excuse to say that your boss makes you do it so don't get angry at you, you are employed at will, you decided this is the job you wanted to do, and you can quit at will, continued employment is implicit consent, so I have no sympathy.

That argument doesn't work for telemarketers, it doesn't work for you.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
AniHawk said:
Another requirement should be to SPEAK ENGLISH.

A Chinese woman came into the store today and tried to haggle with me on the prices of games.

Me: Uh, that's 15 dollars.
Her, covering the ".99" part of the price tag: 14.
Me: Uh. FIFteen.
Her: 14. *picks up another game.* 7?
Me: EIGHT.

It went on like that for a while. I was being as polite as possible, but I was surprised she was actually trying to talk down the price. Eventually she picked out four games that totalled to $25 or something because apparently the price stickers were old.

It's common in other countries, I used to see it a lot when I worked in gamestop.
Just say we don't haggle... of course that does not always work :lol

bdoughty

Banned
Shogun said:
I find it odd you would be so openly hostile to the one guy who wasn't openly hostile to you at the start. As for the topic, I think people over react to all the shit at gamestop like being asked questions, but when it comes to gutted copies it's mainly that if a person doesn't catch that, they are purchasing something for more than it's worth, and thats worth complaining about. And it's not a viable excuse to say that your boss makes you do it so don't get angry at you, you are employed at will, you decided this is the job you wanted to do, and you can quit at will, continued employment is implicit consent, so I have no sympathy.

That argument doesn't work for telemarketers, it doesn't work for you.

Apparently the obvious failed to bite you in the ass. Here was his first post, which was directed to me.

----------------------

Originally Posted by Wafflecopter:
I don't think I like you. Condescending people deserve a special place in a basement.

---------------------

AniHawk

Suikoguy said:
It's common in other countries, I used to see it a lot when I worked in gamestop.
Just say we don't haggle... of course that does not always work :lol

I did say that, but she would reply, "No Englishu, Only chinese."

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jesus christ. :lol
I think most of us realize that these workers /have/ to do this stuff. Hell I worked retail for 3 years and did it a lot, but I respected people when they said no. That's the main annoyance I have with clerks is they lack the respect for me that I have up to that point been giving them.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wafflecopter said:
Stop crying

i guess some of the assholes i've spoken about also post here. who da thunk.

I guess I do not enjoy being an asshole to someone doing their job. I only become one if i know some store/clerk.manager is trying to rip me off, being rude, or not helping me, if i do need some. Then again, I am the kind of person that walks into a store because I already know what i want to buy and i get it and leave.

zabuni

If it is part of a store's policy that a person be a dick to their customers, are they still a dick?

HELL YES THEY'RE STILL A DICK!!!

Just because corporate tells you to ask every single damn time whether a person has any games to trade in does not make it any less of an example of being a dick. If your job is a source of misery to this many people, shouldn't you get another job?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Oh yes, I worked at TRU three years because I wanted to.
Look, we don't always get to have every job be a life changing, world improving one, but we do it to ****ing get by. But I think people on both sides of the counter have a lot to learn, and people like bdoughty aren't helping the situation.

KINGMOKU

If I knew what store you worked in, I would come to you like the Anti-Christ, only to destroy you.

I would first call and want prices on all my games, and movies.

Zeed

Banned
bdoughty said:
OUR? As in you are part of a crew of people?

Yea I can just see that.

Can your "possy" put down their GBA's long enough to hear me say it to your faces?
Or I was referring to the collective customers who tolerate you retail dickheads long enough to get a game - no I would not like a subscription to your ****ing magazine, no I would not like to trade in any used games, give me my product and stfu?

Thanks.

border

zabuni said:
Just because corporate tells you to ask every single damn time whether a person has any games to trade in does not make it any less of an example of being a dick. If your job is a source of misery to this many people, shouldn't you get another job?
If being asked to if you want to trade in any games is how you define "misery", you must lead a pretty charmed life. I don't see how Best Buy is that much better, given that if they're not trying to sell you a product replacement plan, they're pushing their Rewards program.

AniHawk

Zyid said:
Or I was referring to the collective customers who tolerate you retail dickheads long enough to get a game - no I would not like a subscription to your ****ing magazine, no I would not like to trade in any used games, give me my product and stfu?

Thanks.

Well aren't you wise beyond your years.

RevenantKioku's most recent post should be the end of the thread.

This thread is not laced with enough bitterness for it to truly be good. I am coming from ten years retail experience, most of it around movies and gaming. All my previous jobs had websites run by anonymous employees for us to whine and bitch about customers, and today driving home right before writing this I was thinking of making a similar thread.

I think there should be a sticky thread somewhere for us retail slaves, and have all posts limited to just bitching and moaning about customers. Would make for some interesting stories. There is more than enough bitching about employees, its time to see both sides.

RevenantKioku

AniHawk said:
RevenantKioku's most recent post should be the end of the thread.
You and I both know it won't be :lol

neojubei said:
i guess some of the assholes i've spoken about also post here. who da thunk.

I guess I do not enjoy being an asshole to someone doing their job. I only become one if i know some store/clerk.manager is trying to rip me off, being rude, or not helping me, if i do need some. Then again, I am the kind of person that walks into a store because I already know what i want to buy and i get it and leave.

I already stated I shop online. Learn to read before trying to make a point that doesn't fit.

zabuni

border said:
If being asked to if you want to trade in any games is how you define "misery", you must lead a pretty charmed life. I don't see how Best Buy is that much better, given that if they're not trying to sell you a product replacement plan, they're pushing their Rewards program.

I never said they were better. In fact, the magazine crap that Best Buy pulls is much worse than anything game stores pull. That's outright deception.

bdoughty said:
It's "posse".

Working retail sucks, regardless of sector.

Dealing with the lowest common denominator is to blame.

Most gaffers don't fit into that category.

EB/GS employees are trained/forced to:

A) Harrass/Annoy customers by:
-pushing mag subscriptions
-pushing disc doctors
-pushing extended warranties
-pushing used copies of new product brought up to counter
-asking customers if they have any trade-ins and if not, remind them that it's a valid transaction possibility
-pushing pre-orders

B) Gut product and:
-place sticker ruined case on shelf to get further ruined by shelf damage and customer abuse
-carelessly place disc/manual into baggy or sleeve, and usually causing minor disc damage in the process
-don't offer a discounted price on the "store copy" unlike just about any other kind of store that has to open product to display on floor
-show attitude to customers not willing to buy open product and/or are asking for a sealed version

EB/GS employed gaffers do (because it's their job) fit into the customer complaint category.

Have a nice day.

RevenantKioku

I just don't see why it's so hard to politely smile and say "No." That's what I do. But I don't take abuse either. One time, the guy kept bugging me and I said "I'm sorry, but I already told you no. I'd like you to cancel this sale and I'll take my business elsewhere." And I did.

border

zabuni said:
I never said they were better. In fact, the magazine crap that Best Buy pulls is much worse than anything game stores pull. That's outright deception.
I hate how the girls there give me this corny "You must be crazy if you don't want a free magazine!" look.

At any rate, I just meant that if being asked a question by a cashier causes such misery, then where do you shop for games?

Top Bottom