• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can I get back into gaming?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Buy a WiiU.

Ha, all jokes aside. Revisit some classics! I swear by that. I pay attention to modern games but I rarely play them. I legit only play games that I want to play and never force myself to play anything I'm not engaged in. I usually am chipping away at anywhere from 3-5 games at a given time. For instance, I'm playing Twilight Princess HD and am loving it but I haven't touched in in a few weeks cause mentally I'm just not there. I only want to play it when I know I'm going to be engaged and absorbed in the world.

Don't turn gaming into a chore. Reward yourself with it. For me I always clean up after work, eat dinner with the wife, walk the dogs or go for a hike. It's not until I complete my "tasks" when I then think about sitting down and gaming.

I also never rage because it's like if I'm doing something difficult and lose interest, I just turn it off and come back to it later. Life's too short to be frustrated over videogames. I try to keep it 100% enjoyment.

Last edited:

Rubik8

I’m married with four kids, two of them are young. I have a career and lots of responsibilities that keep me away from the time-sink games I used to enjoy. So I find myself playing Switch these days. There are lots of smaller, pick up and play experiences that keep me happy. The PS5 is reserved for the occasional late weekend night. So try some mobile games or play the Switch.

Grechy34

Funny thing I just noticed that I come to this damn forum (it's a good forum) every single day (religiously open up GAF while I'm in bed when I wake up) to see discussions, updates for stuff, new announcements and leaks etc but I haven't really played a game properly (ie been invested in it properly) for ages. We're talking possibly a year or two.

It might be because I live with my girlfriend and the time after we finish work seems to be "us time", but even when she's not here I don't actually feel that much of an urge to play video games.

Am I "growing out of" video games? Is that even a thing? Literally a couple of years ago I was the type to do all-nighters playing stuff like FIFA and Battlefield 4. Last thing I did was do a full playthrough of Half Life 2 over the space of about 2 weeks.

I don't even know what this post is... I'm starting to feel a bit confused. I don't even know why I come here if I don't play games anymore.

Help? Please?

I completely understand your position.

As you get older gaming just becomes a more difficult hobby to add into your day. I've realised that I can't play games the way I used, so I choose games that I feel I can manage. I do feel guilt though because of the amount of quality that is out there that I haven’t played. Just remember it’s impossible to play everything so pick things you enjoy and can manage.

supernova8

Banned
It seems you're just a casual gamer who plays only fifa and cod/bf. It makes sense if that's the case. Age, job, kids shouldn't impact gaming, besides time limitation.

I suppose yes at the moment I am more a casual gamer (I'd say I'm a casual casual right now though, hardly playing anything). I used to be really into stuff that wasn't quite as casual. Wargame AirLandSea, C&C, Rise of Nations, Commandos Behind Enemy Lines (old school), Rainbow Six before it became the Siege Esports bullshit (Rogue Spear yes please). I also used to love Arma (or Operation Flashpoint as I really call it before Codemasters soiled the name) and more recently Squad.

I probably don't feel like I can devote hours upon hours to gaming anymore, so I appreciate the sort of games where I can pick up play a bit and then put it down. No more all-nighters on WoW.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I suggest trying Death Stranding if able....

Things were feeling quite monotonous for me there for awhile till I broke out of my comfort zone and experienced something different.

I did actually consider it, it seems like the type of game that you could find therapeutic after a while.

Shmunter

I did actually consider it, it seems like the type of game that you could find therapeutic after a while.
It’s the closest to a great outdoors experience while sitting in front of a screen. Having a propensity for trekking and discovery may be a benefit. Worth a shot.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Buy these games:

1) The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

2) The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

Write a page in diary by candlelight every night at 11:30pm about every moment you wish to recall during a gaming session. On the 80th day, travel across the seas and enter the cave in which I will mark on your map (the map and its marking will appear to you in a dream) and I will be there, guarded by a Lapras, a Gyarados, a Dragonite, and sixteen Gengars

Ceadeus

Funny thing I just noticed that I come to this damn forum (it's a good forum) every single day (religiously open up GAF while I'm in bed when I wake up) to see discussions, updates for stuff, new announcements and leaks etc but I haven't really played a game properly (ie been invested in it properly) for ages. We're talking possibly a year or two.

It might be because I live with my girlfriend and the time after we finish work seems to be "us time", but even when she's not here I don't actually feel that much of an urge to play video games.

Am I "growing out of" video games? Is that even a thing? Literally a couple of years ago I was the type to do all-nighters playing stuff like FIFA and Battlefield 4. Last thing I did was do a full playthrough of Half Life 2 over the space of about 2 weeks.

I don't even know what this post is... I'm starting to feel a bit confused. I don't even know why I come here if I don't play games anymore.

Help? Please?

Neogaf is becoming more and more toxic. I would suggest taking a break from video games and this website for a while. Just disconnect from any source of video game for long enough that when you decide to boot one, you'll be enjoying it and be satisfied with what you got.

Shmunter

Neogaf is becoming more and more toxic. I would suggest taking a break from video games and this website for a while. Just disconnect from any source of video game for long enough that when you decide to boot one, you'll be enjoying it and be satisfied with what you got.
Neogaf toxic? You wouldn’t want to look at the splinter forum then.

kiphalfton

How long have you been going out with your girlfriend? Just give it more time and you'll probably go back to gaming eventually, probably later into the relationship or when you're married and stop getting sex regularly.

Humdinger

I agree with others who're saying it's due to lifestyle changes and time constraints. I'll add that it could also be due to changes in you and in gaming. Re. the first, it's possible that, like me, you've changed over the years, and you're no longer as excited or stimulated by many games, the way you used to be. You've played a lot of games, so you know what to expect. Instead of feeling like things are exciting and new, it's a "been there, done that" feeling, a sense that you've seen it all before.

There are changes in the gaming landscape, too. With bigger budgets comes more mainstreaming for wide appeal and sales. That contributes to the "been there, done that" feeling, since games tend to stick to the safe route. And there are fewer big releases now than there were 10 years ago, so there just isn't the variety and volume of big new titles anymore. We are also in a slow period.

I've had difficulty getting deeply engaged in games for a couple years now, so I can relate. For me, it's not lack of time. It's just that I don't find most games that compelling anymore, for the reasons mentioned above. I have other things I'd rather do with my time. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I don't try to fix or change it. I just pay attention to the games that are coming out, and I look for ones that truly interest me. Occasionally I find one. Then I wait a couple more months, until another one comes along.

Last edited:
Quit your job, dump your girlfriend and buy a Vita. Vita means life.
Who are you to steal my post? Please report this dude! 😂

Get a Vita and hack it. It's just by far the best thing in gaming history. I could sell my all collection butI'll never sell my vita (and SegaSaturn). You can do PSvita (lots of 540P 30fps PS3 ports), PSP, PS1, PS2 remasters, Retroarch, Indies and Android ports. Controls, screen everything is perfect. And it's never hot, don't do a sound.

The cool thing is you can play home or everywhere, the rest mode is perfect. You don't look like a freak playing Vita, unlike well you...

Last edited:
Top Bottom