• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Nintendo win back marketshare with their next home console?

Catdaddy

- Take advantage of their longer time in this gen and kick out a hybrid bridging this gen and next gen. Forcing Sony and MS to shorten their next hardware.

-More third party -

-Target a more mature audience and keep the family-friendly image - they are known as the family/kids console (thats the info I get from my co-workers that don't play games)

- Not sure about their dev kits but align with Sony/MS so devs will port to it easier (I don't know much about this, but from what I've read and seen here seems an obstacle)

JordanN

Banned
IMO, Nintendo can't win.

They're in the same spot SEGA was in 1999. Their hardware releases too late and are outmatched in every way (Dreamcast), and arcades were going out of style (handhelds).

This is not saying "Nintendo is going to die" but I can't see them ever coming in 1st or 2nd place again unless Sony messes up so hard like PS3, or they catch another miracle like Wii.

Edit: And their marketing continues to be the worst there is. "new 3DS" is actually a thing despite DS/3DS confusing everyone under the sun.

Petrae

I'm not sure how-- or even if-- Nintendo can do it, unless Sony and Microsoft both make mindbogglingly dumb decisions with their next machines.

Third parties aren't coming back. Unless Nintendo goes through a change of philosophy, Nintendo isn't going to dig into the company pocketbook and make payments to third-party publishers to persuade them to jump on board whatever the next console is.

This means continued gaping holes in Nintendo's software lineup for whatever machine is next. No licensed sports games. No major successful third-party IP like Call of Duty or AssCreed. The other consoles will have those games, and that makes them instantly more attractive to the average gaming consumer. Nintendo's console, meanwhile, will be another secondary or tertiary machine for those who have the spare cash to spend on another box just to play Nintendo's games.

Perhaps there's some new gimmick that Nintendo will invent, kind of like what we saw with the Wii almost 10 years ago, that will shock everyone into buying a new Nintendo machine. If lightning strikes twice and Nintendo defies the odds to regain popularity, perhaps third-party partners will come around. I don't see the probability of this series of events occurring as being anything but remote, but stranger things have happened in console gaming history.

Pac3y

New naming scheme
Purchases tied to accounts
Raw power with the machine
Achievement system, stamps etc
Online integration handled better
More third party support
Standard control system

Just a few that I believe to be important, some people don't care for achievements, fair enough but plenty do for progression tracking etc. A console design that's highly powered should entice more third party games.

Purchases to an account is a must really, it's not fun having to re-buy the same shit on each new Nintendo console.

If they got their act together they would be unstoppable imo, Pokemon, mario, Zelda and the rest on a powerful machine, with none stop third party support. it'd be amazing.

Focus on being a good secondary console to go along with the main console, and price it accordingly. Also, go to GameStick/NVidia Shield route (With a console and a handheld dock for the main component) would also be nice. One console, two optional form factors.

Delio

IMO, Nintendo can't win.

They're in the same spot SEGA was in 1999. Their hardware releases too late and are outmatched in every way (Dreamcast), and arcades were going out of style (handhelds).

This is not saying "Nintendo is going to die" but I can't see them ever coming in 1st or 2nd place again unless Sony messes up so hard like PS3, or they catch another miracle like Wii.

This is how I feel and I LOVE Nintendo. They just need to make a more solid package next gen and keep putting out the 1st party games they are. Make it easier for third parties to port to the thing and get the online account in order. That is all I want.

(oh and region free of course)

Kusagari

Without a comparable online service Nintendo will never win back marketshare in the marketplace of today.

And that will never happen. Nintendo has the capabilities with the Wii U to do online features that they outright avoid using because they just don't get it.

Kriken

Either go all in with 3rd parties and hardware against Sony/MS or <$200 secondary, Nintendo machine at launch

fester

Banned
Basically.

Nintendo will need to spend the war chest and put themselves out of business to match Sony and Microsoft's tactics. The industry darlings have both lost their companies billions of dollars. The plus side is that they will likely go out with a bang.

I think Nintendo needs to just find themselves a comfortable, profitable niche and continue making games for the people that enjoy them without worrying about the hardcore crowd. They can't afford to loss-lead hardware unless QOL can be their Sony Insurance or Microsoft Windows.

This point gets lost in every NPD thread. Sony and Microsoft games division are bleeding money. Has Xbox ever been profitable? They are huge companies and can afford that strategy for a while, but eventually the day will come when MS pulls the plug. Nintendo has a long, long history and I'd prefer they stay "small" and profitable and keep making fun games long after the big players are gone.

I don't think of the Wii U as a failure. In fact, it's my favourite of the current gen systems. However, there's no denying that it's not nearly as successful as Nintendo's previous consoles.

I think doing these things might help their next system:

-ditch gimmicks, focus on traditional controls
-make similar hardware to the competition for more 3rd party support akin to the GameCube
-more online features, the stuff on Wii U was a great start

I think Nintendo trapped themselves in a niche where only the hardcore gamers will buy their home consoles. It might be profitable, but I don't see why Nintendo shouldn't be a little more aggressive in the console market.

WiiU is a massive failure considering how much ground and mind share it lost to the competition.

Their next console just needs to be a gamers device. Invent a proprietary VR controller.

And of course they need to push it harder with new ip, investing a lot more than they actually did (marketing wise but not only) and make those new games ready for launch or near, trying to appeal other players.

Because with Mario and Zelda on console you end up with WII U sales, maybe CG if your schedule is better and third party support still somehow a bit here.

Innolis

Its a bit of a catch 22...even if nintendo comes out with similar hardware as the other 2, how would they convince people that their machine is the one to go to for 3rd parties instead of PS5 or whatever the next xbox ends up being called?

Having to develop for 3 consoles again would put a strain on developers in general and seeing how poorly 3rd party tittles sell on nintendo consoles, it would cause a gamecube effect and still leave the machine without 3rd party support.

Besides, nintendo loyalists have already demonstrated they're, in general, not willing to buy anything that is not made by nintendo.

I think they can still keep going their own way, ignoring the other 2 and making loads of cash out of portable devices.

Mory Dunz

They need to do something outside the box. They nailed it with Wii. They failed miserably with Wii U. They need some kind of unique "hook". It doesn't have to be a hardware gimmick like the Wii-motes were, but they need something that allows them to stand out. Trying to chase what Sony and MS are doing will only lead them to further ruin. This idea that all they have to do is make a console that's as powerful as PS4 and it will magically have tons of third party support and win "core" gamers over is pure fantasy.
Take your sense out of this thread.

Moar power, 5 GCs taped together

KingV

I'm not sure they should want to after looking at SCEAs financial performance in that other thread. Spending 1.5 trillion yen to make 50 billion yen is a pretty crappy operating margin. Bad enough to make me think that trying to be the #1 console is actually a really crappy business to be in.

Nintendo very well might be better being the weird Japanese and kids console and selling in 10 million consoles Ina lifetime and coming out with a couple million sellers each year.

4Tran

Nintendo needs to win over the dude bros. They can only go so long in ignoring the most important gaming demographic if they want to keep building consoles.

They need to do something outside the box. They nailed it with Wii. They failed miserably with Wii U. They need some kind of unique "hook". It doesn't have to be a hardware gimmick like the Wii-motes were, but they need something that allows them to stand out. Trying to chase what Sony and MS are doing will only lead them to further ruin. This idea that all they have to do is make a console that's as powerful as PS4 and it will magically have tons of third party support and win "core" gamers over is pure fantasy.
This is a great idea, but there's very little chance that Nintendo will be able to pull it off. It's more likely that Nintendo will try to release a console with a new gimmick to entice the masses and fail at it. And then they'd be looking at a sub-Wii U sales.

Whatever they do, it needs to be very different than what Sony and MS are doing.

In a modern console cycle with three "me too" systems, Nintendo will always come out in last place. Most gamers looking for that type of experience will pick MS or Sony every time.

Without a comparable online service Nintendo will never win back marketshare in the marketplace of today.

And that will never happen. Nintendo has the capabilities with the Wii U to do online features that they outright avoid using because they just don't get it.

Nintendo doesn't get it because it's the only company still letting their Japanese staff run their gaming division. The Japanese just have a vastly different gaming ecosystem and as a result they will never be able to outdo Sony and Microsoft in gaining the western gamers. They simply don't have that type of online design experience.

Nintendo needs to stay eclectic and different. It's foolish to think that making them go head to head with Sony and Microsoft is the way to go. However, unless they discover Wii-like niche there's not much they can do to gain significant market share.

televator

I don't think they can in any significant sense. Nintendo currently exists in a declining niche all alone. They put themselves there for a reason, because they know direct competition with MS and Sony will be messy and ultimately unsuccessful. Right now they try to stand out apart from that market, but they also become detached in many ways from core gamers and end up making lots of decisions that piss people off -- if not outright confuse them.

It's a shit sammich for Nintendo.

D.Lo

It's pretty difficult to compete with companies who are willing to lose billions and have lost billions on their consoles in order to win.

Nintendo has made some bad/dumb decisions but in context they haven't lost billions like whole Xbox business over its lifetime or the PS3.

How do you compete with companies who are literally cheating by not requiring a net profit on their products?

Cynn

I think doing these things might help their next system:

-ditch gimmicks, focus on traditional controls
-make similar hardware to the competition for more 3rd party support akin to the GameCube
-more online features, the stuff on Wii U was a great start

So you want Nintendo to make a PS4? It won't work. The X1 and PS4 are both essentially the same console, selling the same games. Their only ammo are exclusives and power differences. Typically people choose one or the other and that's it. Having a third console in this model won't win Nintendo any wars.

Nintendo needs to continue being "quirky and unique" so they can win the second console spot for people. Doing that at a power level that would allow third party ports would be good of course but Nintendo needs to be cost effective and present a unique core experience. The Gamepad was a miss but the Wiimote and Amiibos were right on target. If the hybrid console rumors are true it might be the next big thing. We'll see.

A bolt of lightning or one of Sony/Microsoft exiting the market. One of those two.

The Wii happened, such a phenomenon could theoretically happen again. I wouldn't bet on it, however, as that was the figurative equivalent of a bolt of lightning.

Yamauchi

Banned
Instead of spreading resources between two platforms, create a single one. Basically, a handheld with Wii U-level hardware. The home console can be a docking station that allows for rendering at higher resolution and the use of gimmick devices like the wiimote or whatever. Have a good OS and emulation capabilities to allow Nintendo to port over its entire library.

Chindogg

They can't win. They aren't mega conglomerates that can throw endless amounts of cash into a fire until it works like their competitors. Their best bet is to establish a foothold in the market and model their business around it.

They can grow in other aspects, but they will never be able to spend the amount of money it would take to bring them to the entertainment box territory that Sony and Microsoft established. It's just not possible for them.

mclem

I think Nintendo needs to just find themselves a comfortable, profitable niche and continue making games for the people that enjoy them without worrying about the hardcore crowd. They can't afford to loss-lead hardware unless QOL can be their Sony Insurance or Microsoft Windows.

Yeah, I think this is the way. Become the logical second choice system. Make it an appealing home for developers who don't want to dive fully into the AAA marketplace.

JordanN

Banned
A bolt of lightning or one of Sony/Microsoft exiting the market. One of those two.

The Wii happened, such a phenomenon could theoretically happen again. I wouldn't bet on it, however, as that was almost literally a bolt of lightning.

Another thing is Apple exists. They took the casual audience that was on Wii/DS so they're just as likely to copy or do whatever it takes to keep them.

Edit: There's even an interview somewhere where Iwata admitted Apple was their biggest threat.

Derpyduck

Banned
Catch lightning in a bottle again with another gimmick. It's the only chance they have. They're too incompetent when it comes to online architecture and user account systems to ever pull the hardcore audience, and without the hardcore audience they'll never get the love of third parties.

I think they would do better with trying to get another Wii success than they would trying to go hardcore. I can't imagine very many people switching from Sony and Microsoft to Nintendo unless Nintendo actually blew the other companies out of teh water. Parity would not be enough. The Wii Market has less competition.

Sandfox

They just need to come up with a good and well focused system, get their target audience interested, and build on that.

Another thing is Apple exists. They took the casual audience that was on Wii/DS so they're just as likely to copy or do whatever it takes to keep them.

That really depends on what they do.

Kozak

Banned
laughs.jpg

Oh man..some of the responses here...

cant speak for the other responses but whats wrong with the tablet?

Nintendo just needs to incorporate more media compatibilities. Make it so that I don't need to buy a Nintendo console AND a Playstation/Xbox to get the best entertainment experience.

It would be really, really tough. I don't think it's possible. There are two routes

1 - Find another great gimmick that resonates with casuals (i.e. Wii. this is likely their course of action)

2 - Have the most powerful console by a significant enough margin with a good standard controller and online infrastructure. Convince 3rd parties to make the best console versions of games for it. Just having equal ports won't cut it. They have to look/run significantly better. I guarantee they could get a lot of hardcore to buy with this. (This plan will never happen).

If they have no gimmick, or the gimmick fails, and they have weaker hardware than their competitors, then there is no reason to buy it unless you are a Nintendo faithful, which is a segment they already have in the bag anyway. (i.e. Wii U)

Catch lightning in a bottle again with another gimmick. It's the only chance they have. They're too incompetent when it comes to online architecture and user account systems to ever pull the hardcore audience, and without the hardcore audience they'll never get the love of third parties.

Their brand is already too far gone to capture the hardcore audience anyway, especially with the brand loyalty of most gamers. What Sony/Microsoft hardcore gamer is going to go out of their way to switch to buying a Nintendo console when all of their favorite games and their gaming ecosystems already belong to one of the other two, regardless of what the specs of the Nintendo console is?

Robcat

Banned
The wii u is a massive failure for Nintendo. I'm sure they expected it to at least be as popular the wii and it's no where even close. If they just put out a console with equal specs and equal third party support as the ps4 or Xbox one there will be no reason for me to buy any other console.

Chindogg

Their brand is already too far gone to capture the hardcore audience anyway, especially with the brand loyalty of most gamers. What Sony/Microsoft hardcore gamer is going to go out of their way to switch to buying a Nintendo console when all of their favorite games and their gaming ecosystems already belong to one of the other two, regardless of what the specs of the Nintendo console is?

While I agree with most of this post, the migration from Xbox 360 to PS4 proves that brand loyalty means practically nothing at this point. That said, Nintendo doesn't have the ability to throw money endlessly into the fire in hopes that people will flock to their system.

Pandy

By staying in the business for, let's say, 10 years.

With MS and Sony pursuing convergent strategies which lead towards a service on any device, I wouldn't be surprised if PS5 and XB Two are the last home console products from these two. (Assuming they even need to release those.)

That would give Nintendo virtually 100% market share in the dedicated games console business. Though it might be next to worthless by that point.

HardRojo

Go hardcore
Release a powerful console, advertise it as such, get same architecture as the others, make some exclusivity dlc deal with a few big 3rd party games
Ditch gimmicks, Pro controller only

Yeah, their games were very fun without gimmicky controllers so I hope they go back to regular controllers and focus on something else.

Improved online infrastructure, at least on par with the other companies.
Strong first party line up with constant releases.
Ditch the stupid name and market your console right, Wii U was one of the stupidest ideas for a name... and they went with it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Probably not by that much. There's a lot of rebuilding of their brand they need to do. They always have a strong base of reliable first party titles, but they need to build ontop of that.

Make something that's easy to develop new ideas on and easy to develop for. Make it extremely easy for lower tier developers and indies. Nintendo needs games though they'd need to have quality control that's better than the wiiware and nintendo 3ds. There is too much shovelware

I do think its needs some type of gimmick that differentiates it but not too onerous. I think whatever they are thinking about doing with merging the handheld and console market is good. Cross buy kind of stuff is a good gimmick that doesn't impact developers too negatively.

And they need to have games ready to go. A steady stream of games in the beginning that sells new ideas is crucial to get early adopters who spread the word of mouth.

They need to be lookin at what sony has been doing with the indie community, like with helping them with development as well. Have nintendo shoulder some costs to get big games on the system. They need to pay attention to what's going on in communities like steam and theother console makers to better see where the market is going. There is a place for their do what they want game making but the business of selling hardware requires more than the creative minds that create great software.

I can't stress how important a good launch is needed. It killed the WIiU and VIta.

Carl7

?!?!?!?

Even if Nintendo's next console is identical, spec-wise, to the PS5, with the same exact controller and a comparable online infrastructure, 3rd parties will not support it, because Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo games!!!

That's not exactly true, i actually buy a lot of Non-Nintendo games............ to play on my PC.

JimiNutz

Banned
Nintendo should pay Apple to design their hardware for them.
Make the hardware look cool and have Apple branding to attract widespread marketshare. Nintendo left to focus on making quality games.

MikeyB

I think they need to make a low cost, high-storage machine that focuses almost entirely on the virtual console. Make it shaped like a SNES or NES and market hard on nostalgia. Make their old games super cheap and see the steam effect. People amass huge libraries that doesn't cannibalize their interest in buying more games.

Get that into people's homes as a family-friendly nostalgia machine. From the store interface market a hardcore companion machine that is essentially the beast that people have been describing above.

I don't think you can sell the PS/MS competitor machine without the nostalgia box being popular first.

Mael

Never go upmarket, ditch the dying traditional gaming paradigm and go get that blue ocean.
Going back into the red ocean where the competition is entrenched is costly for little return,
what was true in 2005 for them is still true now.
Attract people that wouldn't buy a traditional console anyway, they're more of them out there than the other way round.

Scum

Hardware this. Hardware that. Sod that. Take a leaf out of Valve, Google & Apple's book and have a storefront with a universal OS as the platform.

NintendOS. Nintendo eShop.

The hardware(s) can play second fiddle.

digdug2k

Heh. I'm surprised at the weird console/gimick nay-sayers. That seems like their best way forward to me. If they want the hardcore market, they'd have to make something that was clearly more powerful than competitors products, but sell it at the same price point as their competitors. i.e. bleed lots of money.

The alternative is to make strange/interesting/quirky consoles and hope they nail something cool enough that either non-gamers buy in or that gamers themselves buy in. TBH, that's more interesting to their core constituency as well, and is more likely to play well with families too (i.e. the people who are now thinking "My kid has an iPad and an iPhone. Why does he need a console?"

Right now they've been doing a much better job courting/promoting/funding indie dev titles to help pad out their lack of third party stuff. I like that as well. "No third parties, we'll just make our own". Its basically what Apple has done as well.

Top Bottom