• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Nintendo win back marketshare with their next home console?

Derpyduck

Banned
While I agree with most of this post, the migration from Xbox 360 to PS4 proves that brand loyalty means practically nothing at this point. That said, Nintendo doesn't have the ability to throw money endlessly into the fire in hopes that people will flock to their system.

Yep, I'm proof of that. Easily jumped from PS2 to 360 and now PS4. I'd gladly choose a Nintendo system over a Sony/MS if all other aspects were equal. They have the best first party. But unfortunately for them all things aren't equal, so now they suffer until they learn to adapt.

18-Volt

They can't. 3rd party has abandoned them for good and they're not coming back. They need to bring them by for force: They need to buy a whole 3rd party publisher. Take Two seems to be best option for that, exclsuives like GTA, Red Dead, WWE and NBA could sell millions of consoles.

If they choose not to buy out any of the 3rd parties, they're good as dead. Wii U has proved that nobody buys consoles just to play Mario and Zelda games. Those franchises does not matter to the masses anymore. Microsoft has strated to play aggressively by buying Mojang and making Minecraft a in house franchise, Nintendo should do their best to counter an action such like that to stay alive. Spamming Mario games only would bring their demise early.

Robcat

Banned
Ditch hardware altogether and become a third party developer. Make a Nintendo app that they can launch all the software and virtual console on ps4 Xbox and pc and make billions.

This is no way ever going to happen

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I'd honestly be down with them hooking up with Google. Would make a nice account system that a lot of people are hooked up to anyway.

Anth0ny

First and foremost, they need the best versions of every big third party game. If you don't have that, no one will want your console. Make a third party friendly console, like the PS4.

First party software alone isn't enough, barring a miracle like the Wii.

I think a good start for Nintendo would be to get more western 2nd parties (or at the very least exclusives). Third parties may be more willing to come back to Nintendo if they can see that those genres can sell well on Nintendo hardware and being exclusive seems to be a big incentive to buy for a lot of Nintendo customers.

-decent name
-FULL BC, wii, wii u, and wii U VC.
- hardware and controller support + pc like architecture making it easy for 3rd parties to port.
- work with indies
- keep it unique
- launch it with the newest, freshest Mario
- show off and name drop lot of upcoming nintendo titles

Idk basic stuff.

Pay activision to help make a nintendo exclusive CoD with Nintendo supervising quality? Sounds crazy but if it launched with an exclusive CoD, i think it would be huge. Could release along side the annual multiplatform game. Like CoD2 and Big Red One, except the spin off one is good lol

Nzyme32

Better online capabilites, accounts and service policies between devices / hardware, along with additional services / streaming. A good start though, would probably be as simple as actually having what they lacked this time round:

KxVoruq.png

Follow Sony's model:

-Release powerful hardware at a good price
-Build a console for devs
-Double down on the core gamer
-Foster strong third party and indie relationships

Canucked

Drop the wii branding.

Don't introduce it with wii fit and sports and stuff that's a holdover from wii.

Keep going after the kids. Make some new fans.

It's definitely not an easy solution. Nintendo needs to keep their current userbase, but they also have to bring in new fans. A lot. To do this they need to be aggressive.

They need a traditional console that is powerful enough to be competitive. That doesn't mean bleeding edge, nor does that mean the most powerful. It just needs to be powerful enough so it isn't an issue for third party developers. Also, they should adopt an architecture that is similar to the competition as well.

They need to make sure they have at least a few great first party titles ready at launch. A great Mario title, sure, but also maybe a Metroid game or another game the hardcore fans would appreciate. They also need a new IP (completely new) with a AAA Nintendo budget from one of the bet development teams. I also think they should have something like a Diddy Kong Racing or some other good Kart/Party game substitute. Then comes the hardest part: they need a revolutionary game for the launch window of the console. I don't know if a Pokemon MMO would actually work as a game, but they need something like that.

Nintendo needs something similar to Nintendoland to come pre-installed on each console, and they should use that as a platform for Amiibos. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have Duck Hunt and Mario Bros. Installed as well as a throwback, but that's more wishful thinking than a necessity - but it would still be a good idea.

They need to repair the third party support. I don't know how they do it, but they have to.

They need a good launch price. $250-300.

They need to have deals in place for a good variety of media apps. Netflix, Amazon, HBOGo, Crunchyroll, etc.

They need strong marketing. They don't have to spend a ton of money all the time, but they do have to find a way to make an impact.

Nintendo also needs to stop trying to protect people from themselves online. Put in parental controls, make them more in your face if you need to. But at the end of the day basic things like party chat needs to be implemented. Basically, they need to be a modern player in the online space.

And, at the end of the day, Nintendo needs to find a way to do all of this and still retain the Nintendo quirks. I'm not a big fan of Miiverse, but if they can incorporate a better version into their next console, great. Find a fun and creative way to connect all of the first party games.

If Nintendo does all of this, they have a Great chance to be a real player next generation. Nintendo may luck into another Wii situation, but they need something more sustainable.

Jims

I actually don't think Nintendo going high-end for their next console would actually help them that much. One of the problems with the Wii U right now that I've observed from people (like my nephew) is that it's too expensive for his parents to want to buy one for him. It falls in that, "it would be nice to have, but for now, he's happy just using the iPad" category. The only thing going high-end that gets Nintendo is easier third party ports. But it's been well established already that third parties generally hate publishing on Nintendo platforms. So doing that just pushes the price farther out of gift range.

The main thing I would like to see Nintendo do for the next console is use their own hype machine to support third parties. They're getting better at this lately (via Nintendo Directs) but they need to do it more.

They're great at getting Nintendo fans excited about things like Smash Bros. or even Splatoon. They're not good at getting fans excited about, say, Rayman Origins. Why is that? Why did Nintendo gamers care about New Super Mario Bros. Wii but not Rayman Origins? They're pretty much the same type of game.

I think it's because Nintendo fans have been conditioned to automatically view Nintendo products favorably and pay attention to them. And why shouldn't they? Nintendo's first party output is FANTASTIC. But it has the horrible side effect of making everything else seem less important. Now, it should obviously be Ubisoft's job for making us care about Rayman... But if they're going to walk into a party of Nintendo fans, they could use Nintendo saying, "Don't worry, they're cool."

And they have been doing this, so I don't want to say Nintendo is blind to the concept. They throw little Mario nods and stuff to all sorts of games now (Bayonetta 2, Sonic Lost Worlds, etc.). But I think they could emphasize this a little more. I think about how they used to have Nintendo Power build hype for their own games, but at the same time build enormous hype for the new Mega Man or Castlevania. It's obviously not the same circumstances in today's world but I'm using it as a general example of a platform holder creating third party hype.

In a post-magazine world, I don't know exactly how they can achieve this, but they need to send the message out to third parties. Release your game on our console and you get the entire force of the Nintendo hype machine behind it.

yurinka

Buying Xbox and changing their mind to a modern, targeting a worldwide user: the traditional core gamer. Not their lifetime fans that are the ones buying WiiU and 3DS.

New system would be high end tech to compete with PS5 and modern PCs, and would update Nintendo in all the features and services they have been missing or getting late in Wii and WiiU: proper multiplayer with non-game dependant voice chat, trophies, proper digital games pricing, region free, big ass HDD, cross-buy, cross-save, cross-play, VR, streaming games, better (even more) approach to 3rd parties and indies, etc.

If they are smart, they would release it as a powerful handheld that can also be connected to a tv and use it as console merging both of their markets since in handhelds they are still alive doing a good work.

But this never will happen. They will continue releasing Mario 125, Mario Cricket, Mario Mountain Bike, Zelda 42, Donkey Kong 24, Smash Brosh 9 in an outdated enough machine that makes impossible for 3rd parties to release multiplatform games there, etc.

Most traditional players, who want sports games, shooters and open world games with modern features and the best posible visuals will continue ignoring them, kids will continue playing Minecraft/Skylanders/Disney Infinity/etc and casuals will continue in mobile. They will continue being alonw with their fans, and they won't care because they have a lot of money.

Log4Girlz

Be a PS5 but with Nintendo games along with mature titles.

This isn't going to happen.

Cheap, cheap console that is capable of playing all of their handheld games. Keep the pointer/motion controls. Profit.

fhqwhgads

So long as it means Nintendo keeping a solid identity. A console market where we have three companies making the exact same style of console is going to end up being a very boring scene.

Not that that would happen anyway, this is Nintendo we're talking about. They're no doubt thinking up another gimmick to be the next big thing, hoping to get that Wii effect all over again. Even if it isn't the same sort of power, so long as they learn from the Wii U and not be confusing at launch, they'll be fine.

MilesTeg

Banned
It's all about games and Nintendo is going to have to pump them out big time. They were way too slow on Wii U and really didn't have software to sell the console in the first year.

The unified development proposition is what should help them here. There is room for a Nintendo console if it is receiving a constant flow of first party titles. Not the typical drought you see on Wii U where it's 3-6 months between releases.

Let the first party titles sell the box. If they can release 10-15 games or so a year they are all set.

Of course there are other important factors (brand name, price, power etc) but in my opinion it's all about Nintendo pushing out more software at a higher rate.

cant speak for the other responses but whats wrong with the tablet?

Nintendo just needs to incorporate more media compatibilities. Make it so that I don't need to buy a Nintendo console AND a Playstation/Xbox to get the best entertainment experience.

The tablet proved to be a failed gimmick (motion controls are also a gimmick, but proved to be successful in the short term).

Right now the next hot thing is VR and who knows,maybe tomorrow AR.I totally agree that Nintendo needs to incorporate more media capabilities on their next console,but relying on "the next hot thing" won't be strategically efficient for them. They are primary a gaming company and should focus on more important issues such as online infrastracture,marketing,third-party relations,etc.....but who am i kidding,none of these will happen!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Partner with Steam, release games on PC and also make a Nintendo steambox for retail.

This makes no sense.

- For one Nintendo isn't one to partner up. They certainly arent going to give Valve a cut of their sales! Might as well be a third party to Microsoft and Sony if you're going to be one for Valve.

- Nintendo probably isn't keen on having their games pirated to kingdom come. Putting their games on PC will mean lost sales.

- Nintendo likes to keep that brand value, and not lowering the prices of your games sure as shit isn't going to fly on PC where users brag about how cheap the games are.

- Their systems are cheap enough as it is! If you're too tight to buy a $250 Nintendo box for their exclusives then oh well.

What Nintendo really needs is to be on par in terms of power, with Sony and Microsoft. Not only that, but they need the same third party support as the competition, and maybe even a few moneyhats. They need to be thought of as a "go to" system that gets the latest big name releases, and that won't happen in a single generation. Even if they're doing everything right. Their image needs repairing.

Getting third parties on board this time.
This is their biggest problem, bar none. Don't see it happening unless they pay them to develop on their platform and/or give them insane royalties.

The Wii was a great system in terms of the idea; it's the fact it lacked on horsepower that held it back. They need to watch what happens with smart watches and I don't know, maybe smart clothing or something. Make their next system's controller a wearable body-fit spandex suit with 1:1 tracking precision and physical feedback. That'd be pretty cool I think.

Nintendo's not concerned with market share; they're all about profits.

That said, they need to regroup and focus hard on core gaming like Sony did with the PS4. The most damning thing they did with the Wii U was illustrate the Game Pad's potential by shrugging and assuring that it would be useful someday.

Freeman

Banned
Other than coming up with a new gimmick that has a widespread appeal(very unlikely) there is not much they could do.

I think that the best option would be to consolidate their platforms so that they share the same architecture and run the same games(likely with a different performance).

It would be something like having a 540p handheld, a 720 larger version and a console able to run those games in 1080p.

Stove

Banned
Come out with powerful, easy to develop for hardware that will attract 3rd parties and market the damn thing properly. The problem isn't that the Wii U has no games. The problem is that nobody knows what the hell it is.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think this idea of a unified library for console and handheld is going to be very good for them. They'll still need third parties to truly hit it big, but their output will be getting a nice boost.

Develop a modern system with modern features that gamers want and will attract developers long-term. Their higher-ups need to get their heads out of their own asses and give gamers a system that isn't bogged down with casual-bait gimmicks and a half-assed online infrastructure. They desperately need to get with the times and modernize, from top to bottom.

Ansatz

- They can use the brute force strategy MS used to directly compete for the western AAA multiplatform gamer, but I only see them burning massive amounts of cash going in this direction with not much of a long term outlook. VR is the next big thing everyone is investing in and all the big companies will make sure it is successful and the next thing you need to have. I think VR is very unlike Nintendo, it will only increase the gap between them and the rest. AAA gaming has strayed waaay too far away from what Nintendo is about, it's pointless to move in that direction now.

- They can try the low end route by offering affordable systems / games, the same principle as Wii and DS. But mobile fucked them in that regard. You just can't compete in terms of convenience. People want those devices for non gaming purposes, and the games have watered down gameplay because people nowadays have extremely low attention spans.

Miyamoto has said they are not chasing the iOS audience, who probably were formerly known as the Wii/DS expanded audience, it something about the casuals are expected to be entertained by a game without putting in any effort, which contradicts Nintendo's software philosophy. Also there is just no market for premium pet sims or brain games due to the change in perception of quality. For them any random app they download for free works just as well as a $40 product.

- They can't. Expand into non gaming sectors (QoL) while you launch a gaming platform meant for people who like Nintendo 1st party titles, and of course dominate Japanese retail sales. Your account isn't tied to any hardware, the hardware is essentially a portable system but you also have the option to play up-ressed versions of the same games if you buy the stationary console SKU instead. Many fans would also doubble dip. So it's like a niche platform for fans of Nintendo properties and their style of games. Their competition here is indies, who are available on PSN, XBL and PC. They make comparable games, but on a much lower scale. Nintendo is unique in terms of offering traditional mechanical based games on the AAA level. That's their niche.

They will never, ever get me to buy another console...unless

- they create a free multiplayer service with easy to use navigation
- they create a seriously powerful system that outperforms the ps4 and x1 easily
- they lure the hardcore crowd with more mature titles
- they stop the gimmick controls

I don't that would be good for them.

Why not? I think they lost a lot of the "casual" audience from the Wii and it feels like the people who are buying WiiU and Nintendo games now are hardcore gamers like GAF.

I think focusing more on that audience would be a great move.

Phreak47

People would say they'd never just "be like the other guys" (to calls for power and 3rd party support), but that's actually what Nintendo used to do. It's only in the last 8 years they've changed that tune. It has been going downhill since SNES, but it's far worse now.

But with Gameboy continuing to dominate the handheld market steadily, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new gameboy that you can also dock to a TV. Basically same idea as Wii U only it's portable first, TV as an option.

I'm going to catch flak for this but unless they catch lightning in a bottle, it just isn't going to happen. The market will be even more competitive next generation in terms of electronic devices competing for peoples time. I think Sony and Microsoft, the two relevant players in the business, will have a hard enough time, let alone Nintendo.

I don't think people are taking Nintendo's dire future outlook as seriously as they should. Their only current viable platform belongs to a rapidly shrinking market, and they've done irreparable damage to their home console business. No amount of good selling Pokemon and Smash Bros releases will change that.

Basically at this point, I feel as though Nintendo, as much as I like their games, is just futilely patching a sinking ship...delaying the inevitable.

Now watch people not discuss this properly and resort to the 'LOL Nintendo is doomed retort'.

sniperpon

"They need to make a console exactly like the Xbone and PS4!!"

I get why people are saying that-- it would be cool to have a "cutting edge" platform, but with Nintendo's games on it. But I still think they can be successful with a differentiated, unconventional approach.

Then again, there is "that" chart... the one that clearly illustrates that with every Nintendo home console (aside from the tickle-me-elmo Wii), their market share keeps shrinking and shrinking...

jcm

The Wii is the only time Nintendo hasn't been losing market share for like 20 years. They need to find another way to broaden their base again.

Dunlop

Follow Sony's model:

-Release powerful hardware at a good price
-Build a console for devs
-Double down on the core gamer
-Foster strong third party and indie relationships

So pretty much the opposite of what they normally do then?

The only way I see is if they pull another Wii "innovation".

The company is just to inflexible to compete realistically otherwise

I'm going to catch flak for this but unless they catch lightning in a bottle, it just isn't going to happen. The market will be even more competitive next generation in terms of electronic devices competing for peoples time. I think Sony and Microsoft, the two relevant players in the business, will have a hard enough time, let alone Nintendo.

I don't think people are taking Nintendo's dire future outlook as seriously as they should. Their only current viable platform belongs to a rapidly shrinking market, and they've done irreparable damage to their home console business. No amount of good selling Pokemon and Smash Bros releases will change that.

Basically at this point, I feel as though Nintendo, as much as I like their games, is just futilely patching a sinking ship...delaying the inevitable.

Now watch people not discuss this properly and resort to the 'LOL Nintendo is doomed retort'.

Probably should have at least read a portion of the thread before responding, as many people agree with you.

Demmi

Neo Member
-decent name
-FULL BC, wii, wii u, and wii U VC.
- hardware and controller support + pc like architecture making it easy for 3rd parties to port.
- work with indies
- keep it unique
- launch it with the newest, freshest Mario
- show off and name drop lot of upcoming nintendo titles

Idk basic stuff.

Pay activision to help make a nintendo exclusive CoD with Nintendo supervising quality? Sounds crazy but if it launched with an exclusive CoD, i think it would be huge. Could release along side the annual multiplatform game. Like CoD2 and Big Red One, except the spin off one is good lol

And how will this work, exactly? Emulation is out of the question, and including Wii U hardware will only drive up prices to an unreasonable degree. It's best that they start fresh at this point... they've been tied to previous generations for too long now.

Nintendo needs to make their next console third party/indie friendly and have it be the most powerful console on the market. That way they can attract more third party devs to the system and get sales.

They also need to improve the online mode and make it similar to PS4/Xbox's. Have party chat, user friendly invites, and no gimmicks this time.

Nintendo needs to get the momentum going for their next console so they have to ditch the wii brand name and show people that its a truly new console up to par with the competition.

Sandfox

Why not? I think they lost a lot of the "casual" audience from the Wii and it feels like the people who are buying WiiU and Nintendo games now are hardcore gamers like GAF.

I think focusing more on that audience would be a great move.

Focusing on that audience in a meaningful way would mean Nintendo completely changing their output to fit the kind of games that sell to them among other things.

I personally think Nintendo would be better of targeting families rather than doubling down on the core.

Mulgrok

wii 3

tablet with controller buttons that can be hooked up to a tv, and support additional wireless controllers/tablets for local co-op on or off tv.

Make their next console be also their next handheld. 2 birds, 1 stone

Whatever crazy idea they come up with they need to commit to it and show why the experience can't be found on any other system.

The Wii kept shoehorning motion controls into games that didn't need it and few games fully captured the potential of the Wiimote. While the Gamepad never seems to be utilized for unique gameplay but as an off-screen after thought or interactive map.

Offer something that Microsoft and Sony can't seem to get right or won't even try. Handheld integration with a console is an idea they have been toying with since the the GC/GBA era. If you create a compelling experience makes everyone want to own both your console and your handheld you'll be fine.

Jigorath

Banned
I think it'd be smarter for them to just create a cheap but profitable console that sells mainly on 1st party releases. They won't win. They won't even finish second. But they should make money.

Sterok

Build on motion controls again. The Wii was a good first step, but the tech wasn't advanced enough to do some of the stuff we really wanted. Even the Motion+ had limits. If they can nail it down next time they'll be able to once again provide truly unique experiences and innovative concepts. Is it risky considering that many consider motion controls a fad? Yes, but so is striving for top tier hardware and paying all the third parties to release their games on the console, where they would probably bomb anyway just like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed already did on the Wii U.

If they do go this route, then they need to package it with both a super Wiimote and a Pro controller. Make sure everyone has access to the shiny new tech, but also make sure they have a traditional controller so that third parties can easily ignore the motion controls/other new tech if they don't want to use it.

Top Bottom