• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Capcom's Dead Rising Studio Fell Apart - Game History Secrets

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Today on Game History Secrets we talk about the secret history behind how Capcom's Dead Rising studio fell apart. Dead Rising 3, Dead Rising 4 and Dead Rising 5 all had troubled developments that ultimately led to the closure of Capcom Vancouver. Troubles at the studio also contributed to the cancellation of at least 7 other games including new Dino Crisis and Onimusha games, as well as a side-scrolling title using the Mega Man IP.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
"a side-scrolling title using the Mega Man IP"
I can't wait to watch the video and find out why they used this wording, instead of "a Mega Man game."

LiamR

"a side-scrolling title using the Mega Man IP"
I can't wait to watch the video and find out why they used this wording, instead of "a Mega Man game."

Because it wasn't much like your typical Mega Man game, hence the distinction.

MiguelItUp

This was actually a really cool and really sad video. So many cool (and not so cool) canned projects. Also pretty wild hearing so many folks throwing ideas into Dead Rising that weren't really, well, Dead Rising-like. Doesn't surprise me though, in my experience the folks that usually pitch or okay ideas from higher positions don't have a great understanding of video games. Though they swear they do. They just go to, "Well, it would be cool if we did X" rather than thinking "Well, X sounds cool, but really wouldn't work in this game or universe". I remember being a QA Lead and there were multiple scenarios where the directors/producers came to us to pitch an idea they loved and thought sounded great and the QA team immediately replied with NO, lmao. A lot of the time it was because it was something that was straight up P2W-like, or didn't work with the gameplay, etc. But if we didn't exist in decent numbers to turn their idea away then it probably would've come to fruition.

I really loved the Dead Rising series, but man, it went downhill fast after 2. I at least completed 3, but 4 really did feel like a shallow shell of a Dead Rising game compared to every other iteration.

Last edited:

LiamR

This was actually a really cool and really sad video. So many cool (and not so cool) canned projects. Also pretty wild hearing so many folks throwing ideas into Dead Rising that weren't really, well, Dead Rising-like. Doesn't surprise me though, in my experience the folks that usually pitch or okay ideas from higher positions don't have a great understanding of video games. Though they swear they do. They just go to, "Well, it would be cool if we did X" rather than thinking "Well, X sounds cool, but really wouldn't work in this game or universe". I remember being a QA Lead and there were multiple scenarios where the directors/producers came to us to pitch an idea they loved and thought sounded great and the QA team immediately replied with NO, lmao. A lot of the time it was because it was something that was straight up P2W-like, or didn't work with the gameplay, etc. But if we didn't exist in decent numbers to turn their idea away then it probably would've come to fruition.

I really loved the Dead Rising series, but man, it went downhill fast after 2. I at least completely 3, but 4 really did feel like a shallow shell of a Dead Rising game compared to every other iteration.

I'm glad you enjoyed the video! Thank you for taking the time to watch it unlike some other people here.

Jubenhimer

This is almost exactly like what happened with Nintendo Software Technology and Project HAMMER. An American Studio owned by a Japanese company is trying to make a radical new idea for a game. Yet they constantly have their work shot down and cock blocked by the studio's incompetent management who never really knew where the project needed to go creatively. This results in a perpetually delayed project that tests the stamina of the developers, and the patience of the Japanese parent company. The game ultimately gets cancelled, most of the development team leaves, and the Japanese Parent company is finally sick of the studio's shit that they cut their loses, and close/restructure the studio.

D.Final

Banned

Today on Game History Secrets we talk about the secret history behind how Capcom's Dead Rising studio fell apart. Dead Rising 3, Dead Rising 4 and Dead Rising 5 all had troubled developments that ultimately led to the closure of Capcom Vancouver. Troubles at the studio also contributed to the cancellation of at least 7 other games including new Dino Crisis and Onimusha games, as well as a side-scrolling title using the Mega Man IP.

I really like Dead Rising.
And I wish for a return

Camreezie

Dead Rising 5 sounded interesting with the shift back to Chuck and Mexican styling with day of the dead theme. Sounds like they really lost it when they tried to make something to capitalise on The Last Of Us popularity.

Dead Rising 1 was made by a Japanese team right? Maybe Capcom reboot the series or make another one internally and the series goes back to basics properly with a Japanese team and lead that understand they dont need to make a massive open world zombie game.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Honestly Blue Castle/Capcom Vancouver output was awful. Dead Rising 2 rode the coat tails of Dead Rising, and that's the only reason is was halfway decent. Dead Rising 3 was alright, but the physics were awful. Didn't play Dead Rising 4, but no reason to after seeing how they butchered the character design for Frank.

In any case, can't believe Dead Rising 4 took all those other series down with it. The dev team should feel bad for killing any hopes of Dino Crisis and/or Onimusha ever coming to fruition if what OP said is true.

Tiamat2san

I love the dead rising series.

But as for dead rising 4 (even if some gameplay stuffs are great):
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: LMJ

Angelcurio

Really good video. It's really interesting when we finally discover what really happened with some games behind the scenes. I always wondered why DR4 was so different, but never imagined that they would try to go after The Last of Us public. It would have been easier to go that route with a Resident Evil spin off.

Last edited:

LiamR

Really good video. It's really interesting when we finally discover what really happened with some games behind the scenes. I always wondered why DR4 was so different, but never imagined that they would try to go after The Last of Us public. It would have been easier to go that route with a Resident Evil spin off.

Thank you. I'm glad you found it interesting.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I enjoyed both forms of Dead Rising 2, but when I looked at and read about sequels they didn't seem anything like what 2 was, so I stayed well away. Shame really, they were fun games and with some refinement they could have done quite well.

Really cool video, didn’t realise that the games all started out to be something different, from the last

But all that change at the top, really shows what no clear vision for a game can do

Also watched some other videos. The Nintendo hardware one is cool, as is the ‘this Vegas’. Another game sank by meddling and no clear direction (poor engine choices for $ reasons)

Thanks for posting

LiamR

Really cool video, didn’t realise that the games all started out to be something different, from the last

But all that change at the top, really shows what no clear vision for a game can do

Also watched some other videos. The Nintendo hardware one is cool, as is the ‘this Vegas’. Another game sank by meddling and no clear direction (poor engine choices for $ reasons)

Thanks for posting

Awesome and informative video as always.

I really enjoyed part 3. Hated 4. I know why now.

Thanks for the positive feedback. If you have any suggestions for cancelled projects I could tackle next, I'm all ears.

Thanks for the positive feedback. If you have any suggestions for cancelled projects I could tackle next, I'm all ears.

The dd drive from Nintendo wasn’t cancelled, but I remember it was going to be a ‘big thing’, then like the M2, it vanished

Maybe there more info out there about the 2 competing consoles, that fought to became the Dreamcast (one powered by powerVR and the other by supposedly a 3dfx chip)

Or even what happened to the ps3 that was meant to launch with 2 cell chips (I think it was terrible and not what they thought. But I am sure there’s still a story In there as well.). Kinda like the change you mentioned to a Nintendo console that took a serious downclocking near launch

But no pretty great videos and well presented. Kept my interest and didn’t go into adds or sound like just filler and droning on

Pretty awesome

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
How does it get like this. Same with Lionhead Studios. Why just close them rather than revamp?

I still mourn the loss of Lionhead. There was a great quote from Garnett Lee on weekend confirmed along the lines of (paraphrasing) "would you rather have someone shoot for the stars and stumble on the way or just have someone settling for what every other company is doing?"

It's a great description of Peter Molyneux.

I've recently rediscovered Fable 3, which I loathed at release and I admit I'm really enjoying it now.

Cravis

I would be interested to see more of the cancelled Metallica car combat game. All I remember getting was a teaser then it quietly disappeared.

One game that always intrigued me too is the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse that 3DO was working on before they went belly up. I seem to remember Stan Winston was somehow involved too.

LiamR

I would be interested to see more of the cancelled Metallica car combat game. All I remember getting was a teaser then it quietly disappeared.

One game that always intrigued me too is the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse that 3DO was working on before they went belly up. I seem to remember Stan Winston was somehow involved too.

Metallica might be a good shout. I have always wanted to cover that. I remember having a CD with a trailer for that on back in the day.

Top Bottom