• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How close are you expecting GOTY to be?

cormack12

Gold Member
It's the first time in a few years we haven't got a standout winner or an educated guess at the top 3/4. While there are other threads to bring the creds, how close are you honestly expecting this to be? Which do you think will occur?

A clear frontrunner will emerge
A bunch of 5/6 tightly clustered games seperated by single/double digit points, then the pack drop away
Hard to seperate any of the top ten until the last vote

giphy.gif

nowhat

Which GOTY (The Game Awards is hardly the only one handing out them) and how would we know afterwards?

It's been a pretty tame year for games. My vote goes to RE2. Everything else this year has ranged from disappointing to decent.

ethomaz

Banned
Right, but they don't show how close the votes were do they?

I mean, we can just speculate wildly, but it would be even more baseless than the next-gen hardware thread, and that's saying something.
My bad I thought the thread was talking about the number of awards like some games dominated in previous years like The Last of Us in 2013, Zelda in 2017 or God of War in 2018.

Last edited:

nowhat

My bad I thought the thread was talking about the number of awards like some games dominated in previous years.
That... is also a valid interpretation. I'm not sure which the OP meant. But yeah, in terms of how close any given vote was, I don't think the majority (or any even) of the GOTY awards give out voting breakdowns.

ethomaz

Banned
That... is also a valid interpretation. I'm not sure which the OP meant. But yeah, in terms of how close any given vote was, I don't think the majority (or any even) of the GOTY awards give out voting breakdowns.
I never see one doing that too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm hoping its Sekiro from those nominations but the problem is that game doesn't have the mass appeal to win VGA.

Elenchus

Banned
It’s Geoff’s show at the end of the day and he can do as he pleases. Visibility of the show will improve with Norman on stage and this is ultimately a business. There’s a chance the show’s credibility takes a hit but memories will be short on this kind of stuff and if I’m Geoff I’d probably do the same. Is what it is.

I don't think it will be close at all. Control is getting lip service but I don't think it has a shot win any GOTY awards. DMCV is getting shunned despite being as well received as RE2. Death Stranding is a divisive game that is getting nominations and probably a few wins solely on Kojima's name. Fallen Order is a supremely average game but will be carried by it's ip and the fact that it's not filled with monetization bullshit. Sekiro will be shunned as well, just like Bloodborne was.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely the closest it's been for my personal vote. Resident Evil 2 remake, Sekiro, and Death Stranding are all right up there for me.

Arachnid

RE2 and Sekiro are the standouts this year. Sekiro is more niche I think, so RE2 will likely be the winner.

Unless Smash pulls some bs anyways.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’ve played a lot of good games this year. There hasn’t been one or two games that really blew me away like most years though.

Ohh for this year I dont care who's up for grabs, but NEXT year!..CyberPunk wiping the floor across 50 states(facts!) and my Euro broskis ofcourse🤭💪🙏

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What mass appeal? The game is praised by the same sites that are going to vote in TGA
I hope I’m wrong but those stupid complain about this game not be “accessible” because it’s difficulty when it first came out might prevent this game from winning VGA.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I hope I’m wrong but those stupid complain about this game not be “accessible” because it’s difficulty when it first came out might prevent this game from winning VGA.
These “journalists” can’t even play a super Mario game bro. They can’t take away how awesome Sekiro was they’ll get bashed.

Top Bottom