• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come capcom getting pass on all these unfinished RE remakes?

Big RE fan but I still haven't played R3make. But I've played through RE2make like 6 times. I think it's because I never liked the original RE3 all that much, and since the remake cut too much and made Nemesis scripted it just didn't seem worth it for me. I'll get it eventually though.

The OG RE2 is one of my favorite games ever and the Remake is great. The A/B are worse, which is my biggest complaint as well, but it also expands on stuff like the sewers and of course the graphics and overall level design are just as good as the original and mostly faithful.

RE7 was a good game, but got worse further in. The opening section with the house is amazing, having to do puzzles and exploring, but then after the Greenhouse it gets too linear. It's like the first half of the game is classic RE then it turns into RE3/4 pacing. I would have liked another large area to explore. Like the ship section should've been way bigger.

Still it's a solid 8/10 I'd say and helped reinvigorate RE (leading to RE2make happening), so I'm overall happy where RE is right now and Village will be a day 1 for me. If they do remake 4 though they cannot cut corners; it needs to be basically a 1:1 remake (with modern controls), camp and all. Anything less would be an injustice.

Reactions: Isa
RE2 isn’t even remotely unfinished. No clue what you’re on about there.

I’d agree about 3, but no one is giving Capcom a pass. It received tons of criticism over it.

Weird thread.
2 is only 50% finished. Scenario B is non existent in Remake. In original scenario B was completely different and completed the story.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hyperbole: The Thread. “The game is an abortion” “should never have been made” “ff7remake is the same”.

Y’all love to exaggerate the issues of these games.

Hyperbole: The Thread. “The game is an abortion” “should never have been made” “ff7remake is the same”.

Y’all love to exaggerate the issues of these games.
ffvii remake is different. Ffvii will be complete right now theres a 30 hour padded version of a 5 hr segment exists. Re2 on the hand is 50% incomplete due to B scenario not being finished. Looking at it from a remakes perspective. If anything ffvii gave you more than the original. Where re2 or 3 doesn’t.

Last edited:
RE3 Remake plays amazing, and it's a great video game.

Biggest sins, as far as I'm aware:
- No Clocktower -- OK, this one hurts :messenger_tears_of_joy:
- No Park
- No worm boss (eh, it's OK, that boss kind of sucked anyway)
- No "best ending" where like in OG RE3, Jill and Carlos get picked up in a helicopter by a certain somebody
- And one of the biggest sins -- Jill says her iconic "You want STARS!? I'll give you STARS!!!!!" line at the wrong fucking time. That was a royal fuck up.

But man does this game play like a charm. For me, out of the remakes of the first 3 RE games, RE3 remake is the most fun to play. Like everybody else, I wish there was more.

Final thing: While the Remake of the first game is godlike, and I absolutely love it (and it's one of my favorite games of all time) I do feel it's slightly overrated by the fan base. The two main active things you do in the game -- combat and traversal -- are infinitely superior in both RE2 Remake and RE3 Remake.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
ffvii remake is different. Ffvii will be complete right now theres a 30 hour padded version of a 5 hr segment exists. Re2 on the hand is 50% incomplete due to B scenario not being finished. Looking at it from a remakes perspective. If anything ffvii gave you more than the original. Where re2 or 3 doesn’t.

Except neither game was ever billed as 1:1 remakes and are not “incomplete”. They are complete games that take aspects of the originals and brings a new twist to them.

Anyone who says otherwise are just fanboys spewing hyperbole and looking for reasons to be angry and throw tantrums.

ACESHIGH

Banned
They should bring proper horror games (fixed camera) back instead of this over the shoulder crap. You can play gears of war to get that fix.

Scenario B definitely has plot holes but it was nice of Capcom to even include it. It was clearly an afterthought cause it wasn't supposed to be there in the first place.
...and I'd rather it wasn't. It was fucking insulting how little effort they put into it, playing through Leon's 2nd run competely and utterly killed any urge I had to continue playing RE2make.

Except neither game was ever billed as 1:1 remakes and are not “incomplete”. They are complete games that take aspects of the originals and brings a new twist to them.

Anyone who says otherwise are just fanboys spewing hyperbole and looking for reasons to be angry and throw tantrums.
What? So scenario B being incomplete is a new twist now? And your calling us fanboys..... what a world we live in.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What? So scenario B being incomplete is a new twist now? And your calling us fanboys..... what a world we live in.

Strawman arguments.

Mr X chasing you from the get go. Third person perspective, heavily altered progression and pathways. Those are the twists. That was stated from the outset from the devs. Never was it suggested this game was a 1:1 remake so no: scenario b isn’t incomplete as this isn’t Resident Evil 2. This is a different game, a reimagining of the events.

Thst isn’t to say you can’t be disappointed or feel that there was missed opportunities. I am strictly criticizing the fanboy hyperbole I mentioned before.

Last edited:

Keihart

I mean, they both are better than RE5 so they've come a long way.
3 got shit on by everyone, the game was obviously rushed.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The thing i found with the newer res evils including the remakes is that the controls move fluidly and its easy to shoot and get around. With the originals they had clunky controls and shooting was a bit harder, i could that this added to the the game as it was more terrifying when stuff was happening. With the remakes its just a bit more like a shooter action game than horror

When PS6 comes out Capcom will sell you, Resident Evil ³ ReRemake Gaiden Alpha +.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
2 is only 50% finished. Scenario B is non existent in Remake. In original scenario B was completely different and completed the story.
It wasn‘t completely different in the original either as there were some riddles you had to do with both Leon and Claire.

2 is only 50% finished. Scenario B is non existent in Remake. In original scenario B was completely different
This is all factually wrong.

Let's take Leon, for example, and let's tally up the differences between the A and B scenarios:
  1. A very brief area at the beginning leading up to the RDP
  2. Some minor story beats (the way Ben dies, the way Ada "dies", etc. Their overall fates are still the same regardless of scenario, though)
  3. Enemy placement, and the addition of Tyrant in B scenario
  4. The "Sherry gets infected by G-virus" storyline is exclusive to Claire A/Leon B, so in B scenario Leon has to do some minor extra tasking related to Sherry
  5. The power area to the lab in Scenario B, which itself is kind of brief (admittedly, this was the one area they skipped in REmake altogether)
So beyond those -- the MAJORITY of everything else -- the RDP, sewer, factory, and lab areas, and associated puzzles; the secondary characters they meet (Leon: Ada, Ben, Annette; Claire: Sherry, Chief Irons, Annette) are the same and experience similar fates with arguably negligible changes; and the general progression are all the same. By some measurable metric, these similarities account for upwards of 80% of a character's scenarios.

I don't know what your definition of "completely different" is, but I suggest you revise it. That, or provide some evidence to back up your claims so that you may appear a little more... informed?

rapid32.5

Capcom has no competition in the horror genre so their games viewed decent by default.

Last edited:
Setting aside people making up shit out of thin air, I will admit this:

No matter how seemingly minor, in the original RE2, the general feel for continuity/planning/etc between the A and B scenarios felt much tighter than in REmake 2. As some have already explained, that's explained by REmake 2 not even having a B scenario planned, and tacked on at the very last minute. Also remember, original RE2 was close to 80% complete before they completely scrapped it and started from scratch; I'm sure REmake 2 couldn't afford such a luxury.

Some of the original game's A/B consistency that was kind of nice:
  1. Depending on what the A scenario character did (let the zombified Marvin live, or kill him), it would change some things in the "Marvin room" for the B scenario character
  2. If the A scenario character used the cord to shut down the shutters, it would be reflected in the B scenario
  3. The weapons room is an overt A/B plan: If the A scenario character takes one of the items (e.g., the side pack), they will literally, out loud, say they need to leave the other item for the B scenario character. (Which the B scenario character can come claim during their playthrough)
  4. The A character opens up an area for the B character: Leon A opens the RDP basement/Ben area for Claire, Claire A opens the chief's office for Leon (in both cases, the B character has to get the crank from the newly opened area)
  5. In the Leon scenario, Ada and Annette struggle, Ada slaps Annette so hard that Annette falls to the sewer water a couple of levels below. In the Claire scenario, Annette is "just recovering"/climbing back from the sewer water immediately after the struggle with Ada. That's kind of neat
  6. In one of the configurations (I think it's Claire A/Leon B), Sherry and Ada end up meeting, briefly, if Ada goes to the optional room to get extra ammo for Leon. Sherry gets startled, runs away, and drops her pendant, which is how Ada comes into the G-virus sample in Sherry's pendant
  7. If the A scenario character doesn't kill the alligator using the gas tank, the B scenario character will also have to fight the Alligator.
  8. The A scenario character fights even-numbered Birkin mutations: G2 ("still humanoid"), and G4 ("doggie"), as well as the G-adult. The B scenario character fights odd-numbered Birkin mutations: G1 ("pipe"), G3 , and G5 ("blob"/final). For each Birkin fight, the character fighting him watches, in real-time, Birkin's transition from his previous form. That's kind of neat, and I admit a HUGE missing part of REmake 2, where both Claire and Leon fight G1, G2, and G3 (G4 is exclusive to Claire).
  9. [EDIT]: In Leon A, when Leon and Ada take the tram to the lab, Birkin wrecks Ada by pushing his claw through the side of the tram. In Claire B, when Claire and Sherry take that same tram to the lab, you can see the hole left by Birkin's arm.
  10. The "wrecked lab experiment" room is obviously a thought-out, well-planned A/B scenario deal.
I'm sure there are some others I'm forgetting, but those come to mind immediately.

(Source: I have played OG RE2, way too fucking much... I mean, it's right there in my avatar :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Last edited:
Top Bottom