• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come capcom getting pass on all these unfinished RE remakes?

The last RE games are critically praised and while i agree 2 remake is one of the best games capcom made as good as original its only 50% complete. Scenario B is just a item switch mode but play 90% as same as A scenario.

Don’t even get me started on 3. Its smaller than the original game which came out 22 years ago now. Downtown section is like 3 large rooms. Nemesis is a joke and barely pose any threat. He is very scripted most of the times. I know he was scripted in the original game too but a good job was done to mask it. Clock tower cut, park and zoo cut. Multiple bosses and enemy types cut. Gone are the choices for branching paths. It was garbage remake imo.

what you guys think?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
It's not just Capcom. FF7REMAKE is the same story. Honestly I'm not concerned about a 1:1 remake if the new game is an improvement in visuals and playability. If it's really upsetting, speak with your wallet.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
RE3 is that bad? I finished RE2 but RE3 is collecting dust now (too many backlogs x.x)

lachesis

Well, they are not getting a pass for me - not because how short they are or whatnot...
I bought RE3 on day1, but haven't even played yet.
As much as I love the series, I still have several that I need to play before to catch up... so I'm passing on the Village at launch.
(I'm on RE7, but still too scared to move on, and busy playing some other games.. after that, RE2 and RE3 that I need to play)
By the time I get to it, I think it will be either on GamePass or severely discounted like all the RE games tend to become.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
In a perfect version of RE2R Leon and Clare's scenarios would be more different from each other, and add together to tell the full story of what happened in Raccoon City that night. As things are, when you play as Clare, you erase things you did with Leon and vice versa. There are some interesting little changes that make it worth playing through both scenarios, but it's not ideal. Still a great game, but it's a missed opportunity for it to be amazing.

Yeah maybe they did cut shit out but added stuff too like Jill's apartment , the subway part..anyways i loved Re3 remake ...even if they cut stuff out , great game
I only like the new dodge system which should become permanent on all 3rd person RE games imo.

Last edited:
So you din't like the atmosphere? The graphics ? The fact that it feels like a Resident Evil game ? So the only good part of the game was dodging nothing else ? Lol
Not really man. Nemesis sucked, atmosphere died down after intro, brad died off screen, downtown area super small, nemesis evolution were wack, barely any cool set pieces like re3 orignal, alleyway, basement, news station, gas station etc. bosses cut, enemies cut, locations cut, small downtown area. overall an average action game but garbage remake imo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RE3 is that bad? I finished RE2 but RE3 is collecting dust now (too many backlogs x.x)

It's well made for what it is, but just extremely light on content.

Not really man. Nemesis sucked, atmosphere died down after intro, brad died off screen, downtown area super small, nemesis evolution were wack, barely any cool set pieces like re3 orignal, alleyway, basement, news station, gas station etc. bosses cut, enemies cut, locations cut, small downtown area. overall an average action game but garbage remake imo.

Damn. Fair enough. I never played the original and enjoyed the remake in that context, but it definitely felt lacking overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

kunonabi

REmake2 adapted the old survival horror gameplay to a standard 3rd person perspective effectively, moreso than RE7's pitiful attempt at adapting it 1st person, and for the most part it completely fixed some of the worst parts of the original such as Claire's game and the overall art direction and tone. Now it fumbled Leon's campaign badly and went backwards in terms of the bigger mechanics instead of fixing and fleshing them out like they needed but at least it still felt like they were putting some real effort into it and much of it did work.

REmake3 was a straight up abortion and never should have been released the way it did. There was much less that needed fixing in the original so they should have had an easier time with it but they somehow made every single incorrect decision possible with it. Absolutely infuriating.

Last edited:

Pachi72

I want the RE1 Remade. Imagine playing the scene where you land on the property and get chased by dogs before entering the mansion. Man I want Part 1 the most.

Kuranghi

If you are a fan of the original then yea its really bad. The dodge mechanic was amazing though in the new one.

I don't think its "really bad" even compared to the original, I wish it had more puzzles because I like that in RE but it also wouldn't have fitted what they were trying to do, sure it has problems they obviously didnt have a ton of money or time to get everything right but I found the boss battles awesome and the dialogue/characters really fun. I definitely would've liked the clocktower to be in there I'm not going to complain its not there because I like everything else thats there, better to be too short and great all the way through than longer and and some bits aren't as good or drag on.

It felt like a horror film in terms of pacing once you ran through it a few times, which I think is what they were going for, because even with watching cutscenes it could be completed in 1hr45m easily. I loved the shop, because it helped the game go even faster on subsequent runs, cutting out the backtracking for items and making it into one big long chase sequence.

The first time I played it through and took my time it took me about 9-10 hours including cutscenes, but afterwards I felt incentivised to replay the game a ton because of the records, shop and different difficulties, which adds a small new event to the game, enemies are faster and more aggressive rather than just doing more damage and changes boss behavior.

Its totally bizarre to me to say RE3make is "really bad" after you said the 2nd remake was "one of the best capcom made". Its not as good, but RE2make is a masterpiece so I call RE3make amazing. I know its a letdown if you love the original because its more a reimagining than remake but the og game still exists and I'm sure it'll get remade shot for shot with future-graphics at some point, so not to worry.

fart town usa

Gold Member
RE2 remake is just fine. Scenario B definitely has plot holes but it was nice of Capcom to even include it. It was clearly an afterthought cause it wasn't supposed to be there in the first place.

3 definitely cut too many corners though. It could have been something truly amazing but settled for being a great game.

I have no qualms with Capcom, they are the best they've been since the PSX/PS2 era. No complaints from me.

Capcom could sell a downloadable turd and I'd buy it at this point, they just putting out bangers. I don't like you OP.
This is true for me, too. Not just now, but always: Capcom has always been my favorite gaming company.

To the OP: Who says Capcom is "getting a pass?" RE3 remake got slammed to hell and back. It's got an 84 on Metacritic, compared to RE2 Remake's 91. Everybody acknowledges that there's a lot of cut content in RE3.

My take:
RE2 is great not just as a game, but as a Remake as well. It's a fantastic Resident Evil 2. What people don't remember is that, even in the original, most of the locations were shared between the A and B scenarios.
RE3 is actually a great game. Problem is, it's not a great Resident Evil 3 (i.e., when compared to the original). But the weapons are great, the dodge mechanic is godlike, Jill, Carlos, Nikolai look fantastic and have great voice acting. Hell, even Tyrell, who was a 2-second throwaway character in the original, is done REALLY well in this game. Boss battles are very well designed.

Astral Dog

Its a shame, but i let RE3 pass because its that team's first game and as long as the main RE7 and REmake2 teams are doing good i don't care what the B team does, at least it was very pretty, good soundtrack and the first half fun.

I think REmake2 is well made but a little overrated,soundtrack, B story etc. RE 7 was awesome and Village looks fantastic, good horror direction. Its gonna be fun to see how Capcom is gonna handle REmake 4 🤭

Capcom has been on point these last years, but their games aren't without flaws, i still love them

MiguelItUp

RE2's remake was incredible. That being said, I still enjoyed RE3's as well. Sure, it was short and I wasn't to keen on some of the mechanics and differences. But the price and quality of the game was still worth it for me in the long run.

Stoked about RE8.

TonyK

I loved Resident Remake 3. Instead of playing making comparisons with the original I simply enjoy it. I hated Nemesis in the original game so this new scripted, spectacular and easy Nemesis is more than welcome for me.

Lalilulelo1981

Neo Member
Besides some minor missteps (re3 beeing light in content and a whatever mp mode that trys to compensate), i think capcom is a brand that delivers on that "capcom seal of quality" feeling i got, whenever i saw ther logo popping up back in my, less formed childhood days.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I know what you mean but it had a complete A and B scenario which remake doesn’t. Wats up with that? Why even include the B scenario?
Because of the demand for it. B scenario wasn't planned originally. For many months ever the Remake announcement Capcom even said that there won't be a B-scenario. IIRC even by the time it released it was still unclear if there really is one. Kind of remember asking around in forums if it's true.

I also think that B-scenario was half-assed and they should have just included the Mr.X bossfight in the normal playthrough but whatever. It's still a bloody amazing Remake.

As for RE3... Yeah, it was short and they cut out stuff from the original. But the original was also extremely short and as others mentioned some other parts were acutally added in the Remake. So, who cares? Loved it honestly and finished it twice back to back.

SkylineRKR

RE2 Remake is bigger than the original game.

RE3 Remake is a different game. Its more focused on combat and has extremely tight pacing. I can't say I like it more than the original (which is in fact my number 1 classic RE game) but its certainly fun to speedrun a few times a day. I think its gameplay is amazing and with that they are faithful tot the original which had amazing gameplay when compared to 1 and 2.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
there is a reason I’m not sure why though ? ... a big reason.
elvira mistress of the dark halloween GIF

TexMex

RE2 isn’t even remotely unfinished. No clue what you’re on about there.

I’d agree about 3, but no one is giving Capcom a pass. It received tons of criticism over it.

Weird thread.

Soodanim

Gold Member
2’s B scenario barely had any point, and it’s fair to say the B scenarios weren’t finished. But they were only shoehorned in late in the game because of fan pressure as far as I’m aware, which is why both scenarios could easily have played out with the final boss in scenario A and nothing would have been different. B scenario changes minor things to make it a bit quicker, but that’s all. No real remixing went on, and there’s an argument to be made for either including it or not including it as a result. A fully fleshed out B scenario just wasn’t the plan, so it wasn’t budgeted and planned for.

3 had so much potential. But the product ranges from deceit brought on by the demo making you think the game by actually has exploration for half of it, to the intro that’s good once but every time after you realise everything past Nemesis hitting the wall to Carlos showing up could and should have been a skippable cutscene instead of 3-10 second sections of running broken up by cutscenes, to things ripped straight out of RE4, to two entire areas of the game being ripped out, to another area being replaced with a cookie cutter 2R lab, to Resistance being bundled to soften the blow of cut content. I don’t even want to get into how badly they ruined Nemesis, the whole reason for the damn game.

3 also improved the hospital section massively making it one of if not the best part of the game (lobby aside) and the VA absolutely shines.

In short: good game, bad remake. I agree that this one was unfinished.

Edit: fucking Mercenaries, man. Not including that is a fucking crime.

Last edited:

Skifi28

RE2 was nearly perfect. RE3 was lacking in areas/length but what was there was amazing, the characters/dialogue were even better than RE2. If my only complaint about a game is that I wanted more of it, I think they did pretty good.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
RE2 actually has some substantial content, RE3 is just stripped the fuck down and it's a shame cuz the base mechanics are amazing. The dodging is fun as fuck.

cireza

Banned
That's what happens when you ask for remakes. They don't have to try that hard, so they deliver stuff that looks good, is reminiscent of the original, and don't really have to put the same efforts as if they had to conquer the audience.

Remakes/remasters suck. Wasted money, wasted resources. Always a disappointment, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

SCB3

RE2 Remake was great, it added and refined things from the Original and was a pretty damned good remake if not the best (REmake may still be though)

REmake 3 though, I dunno, I liked the looks of it, it was a good game and still worth a playthrough, but it was clearly cut short in places (no park area, no clocktower section) and I cannot believe how bad Nemesis was considering how well Mr X was implemented, seriously, Mr X was a better Nemesis than the OG

Hopefully the 4 Remake will be better than 3, but thats a tough one to remake and I'd much rather they did CV and revisited the Outbreak series which the world just wasn't ready for yet

ShadowNate

It seemed like Capcom was pushing that multiplayer mode for RE3 first and foremost. That was a waste of resources right there. Probably a major factor for why the single player experience was stripped down and suffered -- not only as compared to the original, but also to the RE2 Remake, which was pretty unexpectedly amazing.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
It's hard to narrow this next point down, but the remakes feel so empty compared to the originals. I think the botched A/B scenarios is definitely part of that, but also the environments don't capture the personality of the Classic RE2. I expected this being a remake in a more realistic style, but I didn't expect the soundtrack to be nearly completely removed. Worst of all, most of the changes to the environments, like the factory/sewer and the lab, made them feel so generic. They are thankfully well-designed in terms of layout and puzzles, but aesthetically, they suck compared to the original. Oddly enough, the orphanage, the one original area in the game, was full of personality. I'd say that's an improvement over the Sherry segment in the original (even though I hate stealth segments in horror games).

I'm being harsh, but RE2 remake has to be judged against the original. As it's own RE game, it's the best one since RE4, and I really do love the game, but as a remake to RE2, it's fully of missed opportunities, and I don't think the team prioritized the right things, choosing "realism" over making things more interesting. I wish critics and fans were a bit more critical, especially when the remake of RE1 was handled so much better. I understand that the game is still in the middle of its honeymoon phase, and that had a big part of my initial reaction to the game being much more positive, but playing through all four scenarios, the flaws are very clear. I'm happy we got a RE game THIS FUCKING SOLID, but I'm sad that this is the remake of RE2 we ended up with.

skneogaf

Resident evil 2 remake is a masterpiece in my eyes and the only complaint is that the two scenarios are way too similar. It definitely would have been better if A & B interfered with each other more so if you don't pick up an item it's still there for Claire etc.

Resident evil 3 remake wasn't done by the same people exactly so stupid things like zombies being untouchable before they start to move is there and the absolutely useless multiplayer thing too, I'd much prefer to have some mercenaries or the same thing as 2 remake.

Both games were supposed to be in one package though so I can understand 3 being bare bones but the two of them should have been exactly the same people making them and some extra campaign stuff added that tied them together even more.

I really want another game with Leon, Claire and Jill featuring set in the presidents Whitehouse just like the new Netflix animation movie as that is an absolute great idea as you could have loads of tunnels and secret stuff etc.

I can only dream!

3rd person resident evil in the same way as 2 remake is the best way though and I hope resident evil village has an unlock mode for 3rd person.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
While RE3 "felt" lacking and short, people seem to forget that in terms of hour length, it's basically as long as the original. RE3 on PS1 was short as fuck with no B scenario. Sure, you could replay and choose the different live events, but it wasn't the same as RE2's entire second playthrough. It also probably relatively more expensive back then while containing no MP element.

GymWolf

Because they are greedy fuckers? I had to buy the original soundtrack for re2 remake because the new one was purposely shit and you don't play re2 without the original ost.

I expect a complete shitshow for re4 remake.

Last edited:

SSfox

They did amazing with 2 Remake but fucked up hardcore with 3 remake, it could have been one of the best game/remake ever but Capcom really fuck up, looked more like an Activition game than Capcom game(i don't give A fuck about COD), too short, too many iconic moments cut, and man those first 30 minutes of the game where you do nothing outside of some qte and hold stick up, i suspect Fabiano has something to do with it, this dude seems more like a businessman than a true passionte resident evil guy unlike the other Capcom guys.

After what they did with 3 Remake i'm def not gonna get RE4 remake at full price, will wait for sales for 10 or 20 bucks (depends on how it will actually end), can't help but i suspect Fabiano is gonna cut the hell out the shit of content from this game considering the original RE4 is even bigger contentwise than original RE3.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Aggelos

The last RE games are critically praised and while i agree 2 remake is one of the best games capcom made as good as original its only 50% complete. Scenario B is just a item switch mode but play 90% as same as A scenario.

Don’t even get me started on 3. Its smaller than the original game which came out 22 years ago now. Downtown section is like 3 large rooms. Nemesis is a joke and barely pose any threat. He is very scripted most of the times. I know he was scripted in the original game too but a good job was done to mask it. Clock tower cut, park and zoo cut. Multiple bosses and enemy types cut. Gone are the choices for branching paths. It was garbage remake imo.

what you guys think?

Biohazard Remake of 2002, the best remake par excellence. Biohazard RE:2, was pretty amaze, but some minor issues here and there (like you pointed out) - issues that loyal fans wouldn't let slide like that, and they would grumble and murmur about them. Biohazard RE:3, on the other hand, left much to be desired.
Bottom line, just focus on Biohazard Remake HD Remastered. Shinji Mikami and chums just killed it back in 2001-2002. They made a remake that was just the thing to write home about.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
They did amazing with 2 Remake but fucked up hardcore with 3 remake, it could have been one of the best game/remake ever but Capcom really fuck up, looked more like an Activition game than Capcom game(i don't give A fuck about COD), too short, too many iconic moments cut, and man those first 30 minutes of the game where do nothing outside of some qte and hold stick up, i suspect Fabiano has something to do with it, this dude seems more like a businessman than a true passionte resident evil guy unlike the other Capcom guys.

After what they did with 3 Remake i'm def not gonna get RE4 remake at full price, will wait for sales for 10 or 20 bucks (depends on how it will actually end), can't help but i suspect Fabiano is gonna cut the hell out the shit of content from this game considering the original RE4 is even bigger contentwise than original RE3.
I doubt they'll dare to cut anything from the RE4 reamke considering how much of a holy grail this game is. RE4 reamke, if it really coming, will probably be the best game Capcom has ever made. Otherwise they'll be ripped to shreds.

Top Bottom