• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come developers haven't announced shutting down their studios yet during this Covid-19 Pandemic? (DO NOT GET ITT!!!)

It seems really odd that developers haven't announced anything regarding their plans to move forward with the official WHO guidelines to self-quarantine and social distance themselves from other fellow human beings.

Do developers consider themselves an essential part of society that needs to keep on functioning? Or are they all playing the role of Sam Porter Bridges and delivering these games to us for the sake of connecting the United Cities of America together?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I think a large number of studios are allowing their developers to work from home, they probably just haven't gone the PR route with it. This is actually the third result I see when searching "Ubisoft" on Bing, which includes that "Like numerous other game developers, Ubisoft is allowing its employees to work from home in an attempt to stay safe and healthy."

Here's EA (buried under financial results), but they wanted employees back on April 1st. Surely they'll have to push that back a bit further.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm going to venture a guess that like the rest of us who work in development, they are completely comfortable with working remotely and talking with teams around the world on Slack and Zoom.

You all are new to this.

We were born in it. Molded by it.

jira and bitbucket (git) know no worldly boundaries.

As long as our RDS and EC2 instances play along. Otherwise we're screwed!!!

Last edited:
I'm going to venture a guess that like the rest of us who work in development, they are completely comfortable with working remotely and talking with teams around the world on Slack and Zoom.

You all are new to this.

We were born in it. Molded by it.

jira and bitbucket (git) know no worldly boundaries.

As long as our RDS and EC2 instances play along. Otherwise we're screwed!!!

giphy.gif

ExpandKong

Banned
“We have to do it, boys.

I know there’s a viral plague sweeping the planet and to leave your house is almost certain death, but the world needs us now more than ever to get this done.

The world needs Peggle 3.”

Or they’re working from home.

CAB_Life

It’s possible that people are doing work remotely, too, especially in the tech industry. Without proper compensation for time off in many countries (Canada hasn’t even rolled out their emergency funding yet), why would you stop working if you can still do stuff from home?

ZywyPL

Banned
IT software is the safest sector right now, it doesn't matter if people write the code from the office or at home. The communication is crippled a bit obviously, but other than that work continues like almost nothing happened. If anything, people are forced to stay at home anyway, so people are even willingly working more than 8h.

Inviusx

50% of my office is wfh with more to follow. Any respectable modern work place that isn't customer facing should be fully capable of operating off-site.

I've been home for over a week and it's been business as usual the whole time.

Top Bottom