• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Nintendo hasn’t been able to get any notable 3rd party games on (S)NES for Switch?

Tg89

This is something that really detracts from the value for me, and now that pretty much all of the big Nintendo published games are available there’s not much to look forward to.

Has anyone from Nintendo commented on this? The SNES library in particular just feels so incomplete without games like FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Super Castlevania IV, SMRPG (this ones a weird omission, doesn’t Nintendo own this?? I guess licensing issues with specific characters?), etc. Surely they can at least get some of these games if they wanted to? I mean all of those were on the Wii VC if I remember right, and outside of Chrono Trigger they made it to SNES classic.

There’s a few notable things from Capcom, Super Ghouls N Ghosts/Breath of Fire being the big ones, so it’s not like they’re trying to keep this exclusive to their own games. Are they just too cheap to cough up the money? Seems strange considering they did so for SNES Classic/Wii VC.

Also signals to me that N64 on Switch is pretty unlikely as when you remove 3rd party stuff + the things Nintendo has already (or is probably planning to) rerelease there’s not a whole lot left...

I assume those companies would rather sell their games on the eShop themselves. Castlevania IV for example is part of some collection Konami put on the eShop for 20 bucks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- Nintendo systems are low power, so many devs don't bother making games. And if they do they come years later and totally gimped

- The target audience cares about first party Nintendo games and family friendly games. Lot of key third games are big, complex and more gritty. Just to prove this, when Wii U came out, it actually had tons of big third party games. Probably the first Nintendo system in a long time to get heavy hitters at the same time as 360 and PS3. And the Wii U versions were solid.... FIFA, Black Ops 2, Batman, Mass Effect 3, Darksiders 2, Ass Creed 3. Yet nobody cared about them, they sold crap, and I think the only games that sold great were first party games and Zombi U. The WIi U gamer didnt even want to bother supporting the system with good versions of new games They either totally avoided it, or decided to buy it for PC or the other consoles

- Nintendo reinforces the family friendly image by only making family friendly games, so it will go on perpetually

(Shit: I typed too fast. You were talking classic systems. LOL)...........

I'd say one reason for missing classics is because many of the games are in third party collection packs. There's got to be tons of Namco, Capcom, Konami compilation packs out there.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
- Nintendo systems are low power, so many devs don't bother making games. And if they do they come years later and totally gimped

- The target audience cares about first party Nintendo games and family friendly games. Lot of key third games are big, complex and more gritty. Just to prove this, when Wii U came out, it actually had tons of big third party games. Probably the first Nintendo system in a long time to get heavy hitters at the same time as 360 and PS3. And the Wii U versions were solid.... FIFA, Black Ops 2, Batman, Mass Effect 3, Darksiders 2, Ass Creed 3. Yet nobody cared about them, they sold crap, and I think the only games that sold great were first party games and Zombi U. The WIi U gamer didnt even want to bother supporting the system with good versions of new games They either totally avoided it, or decided to buy it for PC or the other consoles

- Nintendo reinforces the family friendly image by only making family friendly games, so it will go on perpetually

Perhaps misreading the OP? :pie_thinking:

Tg89

(Shit: I typed too fast. You were talking classic systems. LOL)...........

I'd say one reason for missing classics is because many of the games are in third party collection packs. There's got to be tons of Namco, Capcom, Konami compilation packs out there.
Man, I’ve heard of people not reading the post but this guy couldn’t even read the topic!

It’s late though my guy so I understand.

Banned
the fact that they didn't just expand on their original Wii Virtual Console library instead of rebooting it on Wii U and then completely throwing it out the window on Switch is the biggest WHAT THE FUCK moment Nintendo ever had.

third party devs could sell their games easily, Nintendo would sell a bunch of games and everyone could get the most wanted NES, SNES, N64, NeoGeo, TurboGrafX etc. games on a modern system through a modern store...
how this is not a thing right now is beyond me...

the best anti piracy measure is EASY AVAILABILITY ... this way you're literally better off getting a Series S and putting Retroarch on it... I literally got EVERY SINGLE Super Nintendo, Nes, MegaDrive, TurboGrafX, NeoGeo (and some more systems) games on my Series X, and I still would probably buy some SNES games on the Switch if they were available for the handheld factor and simply because it feels better to play legit copies of a game (maybe that's just me)

Last edited:

Tg89

I assume those companies would rather sell their games on the eShop themselves. Castlevania IV for example is part of some collection Konami put on the eShop for 20 bucks.
I actually didn’t realize that was available. It makes sense in those cases no doubt.

personally I’d be fine with there being some premium titles (ie. you gotta pay 5-10$ to add it to your collection) if it meant being able to have more of the library on my switch.

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
It took nintendo for fucking ever just to get their own SNES shit on there, I have no hope for them getting other companies' stuff on there.

Banned
Because they don't want their fanbase to argue over 2 frames per second during cut scenes.

Answer #2:
PS and Xbox are generally the same hardware/specs (boxed PC's) so it's not a lot of working making a game for both of them and PC, Where the switch (and last few consoles) would require almost a completely seperate game developed to fit the hardware.

we have a second winner of the "I didn't even read the title" award. 2 winners on page 1 everybody!

:messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Nintendo burned 3rd parties too many times. By the end, publishers like Square Enix utterly and totally abandoned VC.

Meesh

Nintendo burned 3rd parties too many times. By the end, publishers like Square Enix utterly and totally abandoned VC.
I dont buy that.
Why would Square release so many other JRPGs on the eshop?
They didn't abandon anything, I think there's both a business and online reason, licensing as well.

Because most of them are already in collections.
This is accurate, and likely a big reason why Nintendo retro digital offerings will never get anywhere near the Wii Virtual Console glory days.

The Wii VC had Genesis games, but I'm sure Sega would much rather sell its Genesis mini or its own "Sonic's Genesis Classics" type collections. The Wii VC even had TurboGrafx-16 games, but there's a mini for that console too (not to mention that there may not even be that much of a market for TurboGrafx-16 games in the first place, so dealing with licensing and other administrative things might not be a good investment by Nintendo's measure...)

As a consumer, I don't mind. If I want to play Street Fighter II, I'd much rather play the infinitely superior arcade version found in the SF 30th Anniversary Collection, than the gimped Super Nintendo version.

If I want to play Contra, I'd rather play any of the Contra games in the dedicated collection by Konami, rather than the offerings from the Switch service. Why? The ones in the Contra collection feature several Contra games across multiple consoles (NES, SNES, Genesis, even Game Boy) , rather than wait for Nintendo to trickle the games in their usual slow fashion.

Emedan

Some valid points in regards to the publishers wanting to release their own collections of these games (Castlevania IV as mentioned).

I think it's the licensing with regards to it being part of a subscription. I have no idea of how that would work in practice but I can see it be a question of payment/share. See GamePass - third party games comes and goes. Nintendo might not want or might not have been able to create a model they or the third parties are satsified with. Pretty sure MS is more willing establishing a service by throwing cash around than Ninentdo.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Nintendo's online is $20 a year.
Konami and Capcom have Megaman, Street Fighter, Castlevania and Contra collections available, each for the price of one year of Nintendo online.
Do the math.

If you still had to pay $5 for a NES ROM and $8 for a Super Nintendo ROM that you won't be able to carry on to Nintendo's next-gen system, SQEX would be there with their old FFs so fast.

Ozzie666

Greed and profits.

But also, there are a lot of Nintendo first party games missing from the on line service, no excuses. It's pure greed and saving these games for more profitable ventures. It's not just 3rd party games missing. I also get the feeling Nintendo doesn't want to pay companies to put games on their service, even cheap old retro classics.

Nintendo doesn't 'money hat' to the extent of Sony and Microsoft, not sure we can call it that. Maybe just more frugal.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's got Crystalis at least. That game is a fantastic Zelda clone. Developed by SNK too so you know it's worth trying out.

Top Bottom