• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How could the He-Man / Masters of the Universe license be used?

What could be done to make a good game with this IP?

He's supposed to be the most powerful man in the universe, so I kind of shudder at the thought of you having to unlock his abilities, as in the Spiderman game a couple of years ago.

But without that there may be a lack of progression.

So, I don't know, maybe a Dynasty Warriors game, with Beastman, Evil-Lyn and of course Skeleton as bosses. Nevertheless, I'd be disappointed if a MOTU game was announced, and it turned out to be a Musou clone.

Any ideas for good use of the license?

NahaNago

Just have he-man as some timed power up. The other time you can use him fully is when you are fighting certain bosses as well. I thought he-man was just the reincarnated power of powerful warrior from long ago , so he wouldn't be unstoppable but more like peak human capabilities.

Chittagong

Gold Member
A Dark Souls type of a game. Imagine the NPCs on your side.

NPCs

Sorceress - leveling up
Man at Arms - upgrading gear
Orko - learning magic
Fisto, Rio Blast - summonable

Enemies in stages

Horse troopers
Modulak
Kobra Khan
Two Bad
Stinkir
Blast Attack

And boss fights

Beast Man
Skeletor
Snake-Man
Hordak
Jitsu

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
An emotional adventure where he faces adversity and deals with an identity crisis. Because of the pressure he puts on other men and the picture he portrays. Where is his feminine side? As a straight white male, how does he deal with his white privilege? What about animal rights?

Would be quite interesting I think.

An emotional adventure where he faces adversity and deals with an identity crisis. Because of the pressure he puts on other men and the picture he portrays. Where is his feminine side? As a straight white male, how does he deal with his white privilege? What about animal rights?

Would be quite interesting I think.
Either that or he could start off as a straight white male but when he holds aloft his magic protest sign says 'No Justice, No Peace' his melanin increases and he develops special powers. He could then go around vanquishing the Evil Forces of Patriarchy.

Would be quite interesting.

This probably isn't what you meant, but it made me think of a Persona type game. As Prince Adam, you have day-to-day life around the castle, and you have to balance your chores with maintaining social links with Teela, Man-at-arms, Orko etc. Turning into He-Man is the equivalent of going into the TV world / Tartarus. You have to rescue Man-e-faces, etc from the dungeons.

Tartarus / TV World is represented by Snake Mountain.

Going to chat with the Sorceress is the equivalent of the velvet room.

but-why.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Considering how media cross-overs are currently used and the target-market for such things, we'd get a She-Ra Netflix game (a full release, not one of the ubiquitous mobile games that always get released) first. If it sold okay, it would get He Man as a DLC or spin off.

Tschumi

Could someone who is geeky about this series explain why he has such a seemingly goofy name? Not trying to poke fun, i guess it has some canon explanation... Would like to finally learn it :)

Edit: as a potential game, i suggest an animal crossing clone

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

Could someone who is geeky about this series explain why he has such a seemingly goofy name? Not trying to poke fun, i guess it has some canon explanation... Would like to finally learn it :)

Edit: as a potential game, i suggest an animal crossing clone
Whole thing was dumb as fuck even back in the early 1980s - they weren't going for parody though.

My memory of it was just letting it wash over you, the stupid names, the atrocious non-animated animation, all of it. It was actually ok to watch

Possibly it was aimed at 8 year olds. That's the real reason. It was never 'art' - just a corporate invention by Mattel to sell plastic toys to kids.

Last edited:
A side scrolling beat em up, the Streets of Rage 4 guys could do a good job with it perhaps.

A Gears Tactics/X-Com style game, use the full list of characters potentially

A Shadow of Mordor type game, BattleCat as your mode of transportation and Skeletors army could be used as a type of Nemesis system

FStubbs

I think the C64 game had the right idea for the limited tech available at the time.

Action game. You don't have to make him power-level accurate.

AJUMP23

They could make a He-MAn Mushu game. You fight countless enemies and then at some point you get the power to turn into He-Man. I wouldn't buy it it.

Top Bottom