• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did 2020 screw, fuck or break you?

Go_Ly_Dow

The bad:
-Cousin's husband died of a heart attack, aged 43. 3 kids without a father now.
-My best friends dad died of cancer in his 40s. I grew up with him living next door and saw him in hospital a few days before he died. I'll never forget that.
-My long distance partner who lives in America, haven't seen her for nearly a year now and we nearly broke up. She was going to come visit me in the UK this week, but we had to change the flight to Feb due to all the big covid scares and new restrictions.
-Barely being able to see family and friends.

The good:
-Working from home, not perfect, but it beats the commute and tedious office relationships.
-Saved a lot of money for the future
-Maintained good relationships with family and friends despite the global and UK covid mess.
-Worked out a lot of issues with my partner which has made us seemingly stronger.
-Got back into regular exercise patters with weights at home and jogging outdoors

Not that the good makes up for the bad, because really it's been an awful and shocking year, but feel it's important to note some positives.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I guess I should be grateful I have a safe job where I can go work anywhere but then I think to myself about all these fucking people who've been sitting at home collecting checks every two weeks (some of whom haven't worked in 15 years and are collecting unemployment) and think to myself how nice it would be to take a break and get paid.
That's what happens in western countries with generous social assistance/welfare/progressive taxes.

People at the bottom get artificial boosts to keep them in the game. And that boost comes from your taxes working your ass off. Their lifestyle won't be anything great, but it's still a life style to live, which some people are ok with. They can technically live a pauper's life doing absolutely nothing till the day they die and still collect money.

You'd think the government would force them to do anything productive and get off their ass. Grab a broom and sweep street curbs so water can drain down the sewer. Anything. Hey, it's winter here and snow and ice build up can lead to build up and street flooding if there isn't a clear path for melted snow to drain down the grate. Get those lazy fucks to clear a path. Yet, government just doles out money like it's nothing with zero obligations back from dollaro-grabberos.

Last edited:
2020 was horrible, there are no words. I don't want to get into why but it's been as bad as can be.

Well, if you're going through hell, keep going.
This has been an absolute roller coaster from Hell. It destroyed my work, destroyed my friendships, made my mental health worse and more.

It's been a fucking nightmare.

Though I have to layoff complaining here because it just results in a "oh shut up and pick yourself up by your bootstraps" and there's no point.

All I can say is I hope things get very much better for you. I've seen you here and you seem like a good person who doesn't deserve all this.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
2020 was probably the single best year of my life. It's crazy how the world is falling apart and so many great things happened for me or my family. The hardest part of the year was kind of figuring out how to better use our money as I was out of work for a while, but other than that, it's been an amazing year for me.

Mondai

Gold Member
2020 was mostly good except for my lease not being renewed , that part sucked (actually I made a topic about it here) but going forward now , I am moving back to my home island and my lease not being renewed was a blessing in disguise (and I get to save a lot of money where I am moving too) :)

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well no, 2019 broke me, and it boils down to that liver transplant or rather what happened before that out of that. But I raised like a Phoenix, more or less. Without it, I would never have chance to recover and if the things would go as with normal people I would be dying at age 40 without chances of any help. Fairly sure about it, pretty grim.
In several ways but there's people in worse positions than me, and that's generally how I look at all problems that fall on my lap.

Also, this helps:

Fuck the millenium was like 2000x better, same synths are is simply don't matter. Scooter died with leaving Rick J. Jordan for me.

T8SC

Fuck the millenium was like 2000x better, same synths are is simply don't matter. Scooter died with leaving Rick J. Jordan for me.

The period with Jay Frog was my personal favourite, but FCK2020 & Paul Is Dead have started the "God Save The Rave" album off well.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The period with Jay Frog was my personal favourite, but FCK2020 & Paul Is Dead have started the "God Save The Rave" album off well.
I saw them when Jay was there, but still back to the Heavy Weight Jam and We bring the noise are my favorites.

Crazy as it sounds this was my best work year I've ever had.
This is me. I have to be thankful for quite a lot coming out of last year. Friends and family all good, live in a mostly Covid free state and business basically doubled the second half of last year continuing throughout this year (signed some great contracts). So we're putting in a pool and decking with landscaping in the next few months from how well it's gone.

I've basically been quite humble about it as I don't want to upset friends as I know a few that had hard times last year. Posting in this thread even feels like being an asshole TBH.

Aarbron

One of the worst years I have been through .

In January, lost an uncle in the US to cancer. A week later, lost an auntie to a shocking car accident in Greece.

I was let go from work in the first wave of lockdowns (teaching and research) as physical presence of students were down from international markets.

Making the transition back to industry from the tertiary education sector is tough. Employers here seem to runaway when they see the Ph.D qualification.

For the entire year, I remained unemployed but never took any government unemployment benefits, and relied on savings, cutting spending and selling items not needed. Only receiving a piddly income from an academic book that I have authored. It has been tough. Some days, I just put my head down and felt totally broken.

But thankfully, I still have my health, and my immediate family are in good health.

Plan for 2021 is to either move interstate or even overseas, and/or retrain and slowly start to rebuild.

Aarbron

This is me. I have to be thankful for quite a lot coming out of last year. Friends and family all good, live in a mostly Covid free state and business basically doubled the second half of last year continuing throughout this year (signed some great contracts). So we're putting in a pool and decking with landscaping in the next few months from how well it's gone.

I've basically been quite humble about it as I don't want to upset friends as I know a few that had hard times last year. Posting in this thread even feels like being an asshole TBH.

Nah, it is good to read this. Gives me hope (y).

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Been working from home since March 2020. Live on my own. Work hide behind a disclaimer that as long as they are saying make some time for yourself blah blah they are covering themselves. Easily doing 10 hour plus days, move from one room in my house to another or could spend about 20 hours a day in the same room if I don’t make the effort.

Then the icing on the cake yesterday they are considering now furloughing certain departments in the organisation. So another mighty kick in the bollocks. They say they are considering it which anyone who can tell company speak knows they’ve already decided.

Wvrs

I was kind of lucky to move to another country where things aren't so bad at the start of this year. And got a public school teaching job which has been stable.

But half the reason I moved here was to use this country as a jumping off point to vacation and travel other countries in Asia. And considering I'll probably stay here two years max before I feel age necessitates I move home and get on with my career, I'm kind of bummed I've not been able to go anywhere else.

It's a good situation compared to many but personally it's been a downer.

Also due to spending all my holidays and weekends in the same city, I wound up dating (I'd absolutely not planned to) and entered a relationship with a local, which has complicated things regarding thinking of my future. She's great and I'm happy but I hadn't planned to be so ... embedded ... here.

highrider

Banned
I try to look at every setback as an opportunity. I took the extra time I had and my iPhone and started doing videos of the sporadic work at the time. I’ve gotten a lot of praise and positive feedback for them, and more importantly sponsorships from 4CR and LUMAIII. It’s also shown me that Maryland isn’t the place for me, America in general might not be.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
- After 2 years of trying to conceive I was told I was sterile
- Wife got pregnant on Donor sperm
- At first check up we are told the baby doesn't have a heart beat
- Wife is forced to abort a child she wanted more than anything in the world
- months later she is still destroyed and hasn't been able to get pregnant again.
- Due to COVID and the above my mental health has declined to abysmal levels

2021 started out with our house flooding, costing us over $3000 so far.

fuck everything

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- After 2 years of trying to conceive I was told I was sterile
- Wife got pregnant on Donor sperm
- At first check up we are told the baby doesn't have a heart beat
- Wife is forced to abort a child she wanted more than anything in the world
- months later she is still destroyed and hasn't been able to get pregnant again.
- Due to COVID and the above my mental health has declined to abysmal levels

2021 started out with our house flooding, costing us over $3000 so far.

fuck everything
That's sad to hear.

Have you and the wife ever considered adopting?

I know many people who have. Some of them even adopted both kids (one couple adopted two young brothers a year apart, and the other adopted twin girls).

I know it's not the same as having your kid, but from what I see and hear, the parents and kids all love each other, and it makes no difference it's adoptions. And some of them adopted kids of a different race, so it's not like they could even trick the kids they are the biological parents.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
That's sad to hear.

Have you and the wife ever considered adopting?

I know many people who have. Some of them even adopted both kids (one couple adopted two young brothers a year apart, and the other adopted twin girls).

I know it's not the same as having your kid, but from what I see and hear, the parents and kids all love each other, and it makes no difference it's adoptions. And some of them adopted kids of a different race, so it's not like they could even trick the kids they are the biological parents.
I would totally adopt if it wasn't so expensive in the US. The wife wants a newborn so she can have the full experience and that costs $$$. Personally, I would adopt an older child so I don't have to go through months of hell that newborns bring, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom