• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

How did Final Fantasy VIII become so hated ?

Jun 16, 2019
I loved it, and the junction system despite how easy it was to abuse. Triple triad is also addicting af, but if you know what you are doing it completely breaks the game since you can refine them into magic And use the cards to unlock squalls best weapon before the end of disc 1

You can also get squall strong enough to 1 shot everything before the seed exam, and can keep him that strong until you basically reach hell island, all by refining cards Lol

But a first time player wont know that so i dont see it as a huge problem

Reactions: K2D and Vier

Dostodavesky

Neo Member
Apr 24, 2021
It’s as good as any of the classic Final Fantasy games on a first playthrough. It also introduced at the time one the best mini-games in gaming history with Triple Triad. Once you become aware how easy it is to overpower your characters with the junction system though it’s nowhere near as fun on following playthroughs unless it’s for a one off nostalgia sitting. Also in retrospect now the map does feel a bit empty in comparison to VII and IX.

In recent years it’s faced a lot of backlash on the internet for the twist nearer the end of the game, however I feel it was never so much a problem as I think it ties into the games themes of fate, synchronicity I guess and the overall motives of the antagonist.

I don’t think it would benefit a remake like VII did though, maybe a sequel or some type of reboot where they can keep the lore and universe intact but work on telling a much better story, improving the motives of each character and having more creativity in making the world map feel much more larger and lived in. There Is some great potential there with the SeeD / Garden stuff if they introduced some Persona like gameplay to it.

Reactions: Vier

Platopus

Neo Member
Aug 13, 2021
Ff8 is my favorite game. I thought the story was fantastic although I didn't understand all of it way back then. Honestly, I still don't. But that aside, it drew me in because I loved the mystery of it all. Who is Laguna? Why do they keep calling Squall that name?
The romance was lovely mostly between Laguna and Julia/Raine. These characters felt the most genuine although they were mostly background characters.
Squall and Rinoa's thing grew on me and by the near end I bought it and loved it.
As someone who has forgotten most of their childhood I quite liked the twist and found it believable enough. Also an intriguing twist to the GF junction system.

I still wish Rinoa = Ultimecia was real. I think by far my favorite fan theory ever.

Triple Triad was a hoot until you got screwed over by the random unintelligible new area rules.

Great game. 9 never managed to hook me with its characters although they were so charming. 7 was fine back then. Not much left of its essence now.

Vier

Jun 7, 2019
Dallas, Texas
I still wish Rinoa = Ultimecia was real. I think by far my favorite fan theory ever.
Agreed.

• Strength
Reactions: Platopus

EruditeHobo

Jun 5, 2013
San Francisco, CA
A lot of people have mentioned some of the obvious reasons -- like it followed 7, the enemy scaling, and the junction system (which while interesting isn't as satisfying as many other progression mechanics in lots of other FF games, almost by design).

The biggest and most obvious reason for me is the failed focus of the story. This game doubled down on this central romance in a way that... doesn't really happen in other FF games. There is always that element somewhere, but it's not so overwhelming, usually. On top of that, this is probably the weakest supporting cast of characters in the entirety of the disc-era FF games until... 13 maybe? 13 and 15 IMO aren't great in this regard, but 8 did not do this well. The entire convincing thing about the story in an FF game is there are multiple side characters that are interesting and worth spending time with. I don't think that's the case in 8, and the fact that you're engaging with fewer characters makes that feel even worse.

That's my takeaway, personally. There are big sections of the story that are really entertaining... I loved the build up to the garden battle, for instance. And cloying though it was, I was so beaten over the head with Squall & Rinoa that I eventually succumbed to caring about their relationship. I don't think it was very interesting, it felt at the time to be a real double-down on FF7 and a Cloud-Aeris 2.0 over the course of a full game... however, in spite of all that I think it worked to get the gamer to buy-in, it's just overwhelming over the course of an entire 40 hour story or whatever it is.

That said the ending of the game is strong, and delivers on that happy ending better than many FF games.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Vier

EruditeHobo

Jun 5, 2013
San Francisco, CA
People who's first Final Fantasy was 7 didn't realize the games change every iteration and were disappointed when FF8 didn't have the same system as FF7 and the bad taste remained. I think that's where most of the hate came from. Most people I talk to that were on the bandwagon before 7 might have had differing opinions, for better or worse, expecting things to not be identical from game to game allowed us to embrace it for what it was.

Junction/draw is inferior in many ways to materia, though. So even for those expecting change, the issue here is... that's a bad one.

Cutty Flam

Dec 3, 2019
I loved it, and the junction system despite how easy it was to abuse. Triple triad is also addicting af, but if you know what you are doing it completely breaks the game since you can refine them into magic And use the cards to unlock squalls best weapon before the end of disc 1

You can also get squall strong enough to 1 shot everything before the seed exam, and can keep him that strong until you basically reach hell island, all by refining cards Lol

But a first time player wont know that so i dont see it as a huge problem
Would it be best to abuse the game and take full advantage of breaking the game in that way if a new player figures it out? Still confused as hell about FFVIII since some say it’s broken but then some say you can get fucked over if you play the game like it’s your typical RPG and try to level up a bunch. Is there a middle ground for FFVIII?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019
Would it be best to abuse the game and take full advantage of breaking the game in that way if a new player figures it out? Still confused as hell about FFVIII since some say it’s broken but then some say you can get fucked over if you play the game like it’s your typical RPG and try to level up a bunch. Is there a middle ground for FFVIII?

I would say so, but unless a new player is being coached or has read up in it, they won't figure it out to quickly and one could play several times and not realize just what you can do at the very start of the game.

The first is knowing just how good card mod is. Before the seed exam you can fight the monsters at the beach to grind out the card mod ability, this is essential and a new player wont know this.

Next is knowing how the queen of cards works, and how to spread trading rules to maximize your winnings. Sure you can still do it without changing the trading rules but will take much much longer.

Then learning triple triad, building a deck and who at the garden will play what cards. This can be a challenge at the start since you will only have a few high level cards. You can however win quistis right at the start and is a great card to add to your deck.

One also needs to know what cards are the ones you want to win for the best magic.

It is broken in the sense that if you know how you can be completly OP, there are alot of ways to get high level magic, but if you dont and just try to level up like a normal rpg you wont get far later in the game. Its a bit counterintuitive

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Cutty Flam

Green_Eyes

Jun 10, 2019
FFVIII had a lot of gameplay flaws, and tbh it felt incomplete story wise, and there weren't enough locations or enough enemy variety. However...the characters, music, cutscenes, art and locations were all really memorable and so the game still has a big place in my heart...it would greatly benefit from a remake imo (if it's done right, which I doubt it would be). I like it more than 7 for sure.

K2D

May 31, 2021
It's good. It deserves the same praise as VII and IX. You can 'break' the fighting aspect of the game, but it doesn't mean you have to. First time I played it 15 years ago I did so without grinding and beat it just fine. The story is a bit more out there than 7, but that made me appreciate it even more. It's NOT FF13 style convoluted dialog.

The soundtrack is the best of any game ever made. Period.

The graphics have aged more poorly than any of the other mainline titles, which is a damn shame because it deserves more recognition than it's getting. VIII is the installment most deserving of a graphical remaster and a new english localization(!) - also seems like the option that most easiely translates 1:1 into a remake.

Last edited: