• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did Fire Emblem Three Houses end up?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Curious on GAFs opinions on this game since it has been out awhile now. I am about to wrap up DQ11 and I am thinking of starting that next from my backlog. I bought it when it came out but haven't had a chance to play it yet. It would be my first FE game.

Saber

Gold Member
Seems like a decent game. Nothing to be glorificaded though, could be a little less overrated.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I played like 6 hours of it and stopped. It is so unbelivably bloated that it's just not fun anymore. All I really wanted to do was the strategy RPG stuff, but there's so much bullshit between missions that I stopped caring before long. And they took out the rock-paper-scissors mechanic, so even the combat sections feel kinda watered down. It is not what I wanted at all.

Gamecube game remains my favorite by a huge margin.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I LOVE it, I'm currently doing NG on Golden Deer route, originally this game was my 3rd favorite game after Astral Chain and Sekiro and now I'm thinking this game easily tied with those two as my favorite game this year.

I enjoyed it alot. The school/time off parts aren't as good as say persona 5, but still enjoyable. It was the first fire emblem game I ever played, makes me want to go and try previous entries.
As huge Persona 5 fan actually kind of disagree with that. Honestly Three Houses did much better job with character interaction. In modern Persona games characters usually just interacts with MC in their S.link in Three Houses Support system characters just not interacted with MC but also each other, Atlus could really learn something from Three Houses for next Persona game.

Last edited:

Kawika

I played like 6 hours of it and stopped. It is so unbelivably bloated that it's just not fun anymore. All I really wanted to do was the strategy RPG stuff, but there's so much bullshit between missions that I stopped caring before long. And they took out the rock-paper-scissors mechanic, so even the combat sections feel kinda watered down. It is not what I wanted at all.

Came to say a similar thing. Going from DQ11 to this isn't going to be enjoyable. FE3H is very bloated and not what I expected from a fire emblem game. If you haven't already played the 3DS games, I would say do that instead (if you have and haven't played Path of Radiance, do that before its too expensive). If I wanted Persona, I would play Persona. The strategy isn't there for long time fans and I wish I skipped it outright. I could tell from the earliest videos covering the game that something was going to be off. Now with people regarding this as one of the best in the series (and it selling so well) I have no chance of getting any new fire emblems in the vein that I loved. If they kept the strategy deep I could have dealt with the mind numbing social/school aspects but this game shouldn't be anyone's favorite FE.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Looking at the early negative takes in this thread, I feel justified for waiting out the hype to see what the real opinions were. Should be interesting to see where the thread goes, both negative and positive.

Something about this game, and series as of late, screams not-for-me. I feel like this franchise has lost it’s identity, both in great storytelling and characters, and the polish and focus on gameplay. It feels more like a random third party PS Vita anime game ever since it hit the 3DS.

I do have to admit that the newest story looks more mature and well-done than past installments, so that’s something in it’s favor.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
My mini review from the 52 Games in 1 Year thread:

Quite simply, this is a great game. It has enough to please both veterans of the Fire Emblem series and newcomers alike. I pumped over 100 hours into it and it flew by. That’s a sure sign that this game is something special. The story is surprisingly compelling. The gameplay is typically addictive in that Fire Emblem fashion. The new school elements are a surprisingly smooth and enjoyable addition. The music is great, although more tracks would be welcome. Some people seem to state that the game is too easy, though I found it to be suitably challenging for a decently experienced Fire Emblem player such as myself. The only negatives I can seriously attribute to this game are that not all of the games mechanics are comfortably explained in the early game and that it has one of the all-time underwhelming endings I’ve ever seen. Not unusual for video games, but after such an epic journey, it’s a bit stark and disappointing. Anyway, if you enjoy games, you’d do yourself a disservice not to play this.

Hudo

I LOVE it, I'm currently doing NG on Golden Deer route, originally this game was my 3rd favorite game after Astral Chain and Sekiro and now I'm thinking this game easily tied with those two as my favorite game this year.

As huge Persona 5 fan actually kind of disagree with that. Honestly Three Houses did much better job with character interaction. In modern Persona games characters usually just interacts with MC in their S.link in Three Houses Support system characters just not interacted with MC but also each other, Atlus could really learn something from Three Houses for next Persona game.
Basically this. I would also say that it did a much better job with the social stuff than P5. And it is still a Fire Emblem game, so the strategy parts are as fun as ever and streamlined at the right places. I also like that they were trying some new approaches with the story and with the school setting. I liked Three Houses more than Fates and Awakening (which I also liked quite a lot).

Last edited:

Katsura

I love it. Way better than Echoes. I enjoyed the school stuff. It's a nice change of pace between battles and i definitely prefer it to just the conversations like in Awakening

Mista

Banned
Seems like a decent game. Nothing to be glorificaded though, could be a little less overrated.
Exactly this. It’s a good game and I destroyed the hell out of it but come on now, it’s overrated and sadly this happens by the wrong people.

Last edited:

Sakura

It's a solid 7/10 for me.
Full voice acting for Fire Emblem is a first, and adds a lot to the game in my opinion. I'm really happy they did it. I really like some of the characters as well. Music is also really good.
The story though is kind of weak. All the routes feel largely the same, and the story/writing within those routes is generally on the poor side, though it does have its moments.
The gameplay/systems outside of the combat (basically the school stuff), isn't very well done either, and neither are the support convos.
I think the base of what is there is pretty good though, and if they build and expand on it, then the next game could be pretty good.

IKSTUGA

It was my first Fire Emblem and I would give it a 10/10. Everything is great, school, music and combat. Just superb.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Looking at the early negative takes in this thread, I feel justified for waiting out the hype to see what the real opinions were. Should be interesting to see where the thread goes, both negative and positive.

Something about this game, and series as of late, screams not-for-me. I feel like this franchise has lost it’s identity, both in great storytelling and characters, and the polish and focus on gameplay. It feels more like a random third party PS Vita anime game ever since it hit the 3DS.

I do have to admit that the newest story looks more mature and well-done than past installments, so that’s something in it’s favor.

Arcadia from the few interactions we've had I would say our taste in games are pretty similar. I do not usually play Fire Emblem or SRPG's but I picked this one up because of the release hype and my priorities are out of whack buying nintendo switch games.

that being said I really really enjoyed the first half of the game there was a lot to do, I enjoyed exploring the classes and leveling my troops and raising my ranks and planning my team and recruiting. Then I felt like the second half of the game really slowed down for me.. the story was good but it was just difficult to get through doing the same things over and over again in between the rest periods. Though I did really enjoy most of the battles and they were a lot of fun. I would really say it's worth a playthrough

Fbh

This is the main reason I haven't picked it up yet.

I really liked the older fire emblem games and Awakening but this one seems to go too far with the whole relationships stuff.
The best implementation was indeed the gamecube one where you could talk to party member in between missions but the focus was mostly on the missions themselves. Awakening was fun too in that it expanded on some of these idea while still keeping the focus on the combat/missions (the whole "kids" element was fun too)

But every review and impression I've read about this makes it sound like half the game if not more is spend outside of combat doing classes and the whole persona like relationship stuff and it completely killed my interest.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This is the main reason I haven't picked it up yet.

I really liked the older fire emblem games and Awakening but this one seems to go too far with the whole relationships stuff.
The best implementation was indeed the gamecube one where you could talk to party member in between missions but the focus was mostly on the missions themselves. Awakening was fun too in that it expanded on some of these idea while still keeping the focus on the combat/missions (the whole "kids" element was fun too)

But every review and impression I've read about this makes it sound like half the game if not more is spend outside of combat doing classes and the whole persona like relationship stuff and it completely killed my interest.

Yeah, last Fire Emblem game I liked was Awakening... which I loved. The one after that (Fates?) was a trainwreck. Between the abysmal writing and pointless base stuff between missions, it felt like the series was headed in the wrong direction. I am honestly surprised they've doubled down on all that stuff. Like, what does it even add to the game that wasn't already there in a more streamlined capacity?

My favorite part of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was the forest mission that takes place at night that's basically 4 missions one after another, where you're increasingly constrained on resources and the game just keeps throwing more obstacles at you. That was awesome - there was so much tension there, and the flow of the game made you just want to sit there for hours playing through it. That's Fire Emblem. Three Houses would rather have you spend that time picking up junk and returning lost items to your dunderhead students, like you're the fucking janitor.

That said, Three Houses has some great music. So, I guess there's that.

Shaqazooloo

Game of the year for me. I love nearly everything about it.(don't like that abilities were nerfed and weapon Triangle being gone). The characters are good, it's fully voiced, lots of custimization to units, the story is interesting, the lore is good, going around the monestary is a good time and the grind is awesome.

I plan on doing 5 playthoughs plus the DLC. It's definitely the type of game I don't mind having to playthough again and again.

I understand some might not like the non battle sections of the game but they are fun imo and even when you just want to get it over with (I've only really had that happen at a few points where I was way too interested in what was gonna happen next) it's easily skipped without sacrificing too much.

Shaqazooloo

Yes and no. I also appreciate the fact that you can either automate classes or even skip entire weeks and months even. But unfortunately, you ARE kinda punished for doing so.
Some useful and actually basic stuff is locked behind monastery-activities like smithing or batallions to name a few. If you do choose to just skip all monastery stuff, you unwillingly handicap yourself.
Outside of buying materials (which I didn't realize you could do until my 2nd playthough), you can do all of it through the preparations screen, unless you are talking about the actual unlocking of them? I see those as non-issues since unlocking them only takes a few minutes when you're prompted to do so.

Heck, there are even two segments where the game forces you to play the monastery-part and won´t let you jump to whatever day you want
Theirs 20+ chapters for most routes a few segments where you do have to go around the monestary seems like a minor inconvenience to the overall package..

Top Bottom