• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you meet your significant other (gf, bf, wf, hb)?

Relativ9

She was the friend of a very close friend of mine, we hit it off, I told her I liked her and would like to get to know her better, she reciprocated. And the rest is history.

We were in the same class in high school but nothing happened. 10 years passed and we ran into each other at work, turns out she was in the same company as me (we both had no idea) and at the same client.
We started going to work together, one thing led to another...

lil puff

The friend of a coworker worked on another floor.
My coworker started dropping hints, always bringing her friend up.
I read between the lines and just became more forward and friendly.

Actually most girls I meet have something to do with previous jobs.
I have become close with a couple of girls over work email (which was probably a bad idea) ... the correspondence grows over time, until you are going out after work and inviting her over.

Walking up to a stranger and starting conversation is definitely not my style.

I was at a local venue. It was David Bowie night (a yearly tradition since he passed), and it was really, really cold. I hadn't wanted to go out that night because I was being very depressed, mostly because I was lonely at the time and dealing with an ex who had tried to come back into my life and all the feelings that that brings, but a good friend of mine had pushed me to go out. There were some people I didn't like inside, so I decided to try my luck standing by the fire instead while I waited for my friend's band to start.

I stood there for about an hour talking to this guy about movies (he thought that he was supposed to see Fire Walk with Me before the Twin Peaks series, and had no idea that he'd basically ruined it for himself!), and then this girl suddenly appeared, wearing shorts despite it being like 30 degrees out and standing over by the fence. Some other girl who was in the circle around the fire asked her to come over and warm herself up and introduce herself, and we ended up bonding over a mutual love of Metal Gear and Internet culture.

Turned out she lived down the street from me! Which was strange because the venue was quite a ways away from our neighborhood. She added me on social media and I put my arm around her and she came over a week later to play Project M and the rest, as they say, was history.

I didn't even see my friend's band that night. I just talked to her instead.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

I was on a family vacation in Las Vegas and met a girl out there at a timeshare in the pool area. She rocked a bikini really nice and the rest just kinda went from there :p I lived in Arizona at the time while she was in Wisconsin, but after hooking up and visiting each other for about a year I moved down there and began traveling for work. Since then she started doing the same work I do and we live in a new state, but it has been over 10 years now :)

VAL0R

Banned
"Met" her in a Christian AOL chat room back when chat rooms were a thing. Started talking a lot online, then the telephone for hours and hours. I finally met her at her college campus in person. We fell in love and graduated together. Now it's 15 years of marriage later and 7 beautiful kids. She's waiting for me to bring our Pizza Hutt order home now. :)

We met in a bar. It's a bit fuzzy because we were both drunk, but I recall standing outside with her and a few other random people having a smoke, and the next thing I remember is she kicked me in the balls. About three days later, we found out that we went to the same college and became good friends. Seven years I can happily say I've never been more happy that I got kicked in the nuts by this wonderful women.

Havoc2049

Now it's 15 years of marriage later and 7 beautiful kids. She's waiting for me to bring our Pizza Hutt order home now. :)
Seven kids, wow! You don't see couples having that many kids in this day and age.

I met my wife in Georgetown in Washington, DC. My friend was a bouncer at this one bar and I was talking to him at the entrance when my future wife walked by with a friend of her's and we chatted it up for a while and I asked her if she wanted come on in, dance and have a few drinks. She said yes, and we proceeded to dance and talk the night away.

I walked her back to her car and we ended up being parked right near each other at the top of the Exorcist steps (from the movie). She was a Poly-Sci major and I had a politicians bumper sticker on my car and she thought it was cool, because she actually worked on his campaign. We talked some more, exchanged numbers and had our first kiss at the top of the Exorcist steps...lol.

We dated for about six months, got married and have been together ever since.

I met my wife on OKCupid. I saw her comment on the Facebook post of an acquaintance and used that to introduce myself. We went out twice and at the end of the second date she asked me to meet her parents. This freaked me out as I wasn't sure I wanted to date her so I told her I justed wanted to be friends. Then we didn't speak for 5 years. Things went (slightly) better the second time we dated.

Susurrus

Was stationed in Japan near Tokyo at the time. Used an online meetup site that I can't find anymore but found through HiraganaTimes to meet locals and hang out in the city. She was one of said locals, after a bit we ended up dating and traveling together (domestic & internationally), ended up proposing to her on a vacation to Hawaii after about 6ish months, were engaged for 2 and a half years, but she still moved to Germany with me during that time frame when I got relocated. Ended up getting married after I finished a 6 month deployment, and 3 and a half years later we're still together with a 2 year old son. Also we're still in Germany. Son is half American and half Japanese, and born in Germany (where he'll have spent 3 years of his life by us leaving). Also we're still traveling a LOT, the birth of our child only slowed us down for a few months and he enjoys trips as well, even if he doesn't understand what's going on exactly.

Blam

I mean he's not wrong. I've met quite a lot of people online. As bad as it sounds I've met even more people in VRChat, since my social anxiety pretty much disappeared while on it. So I've made many friends, and a just one that I'm sure will grow into something more since we aren't really that far away.

goldenpp72

You say that like its easy
I did download Tinder once....but then I realized that I'm terrified of actually messaging anyone on it. So I just wait hoping for someone to message me first, but nothing ever happens.

This is most likely useless to state but, just remember that if you don't risk rejection you'll never get acceptance. Maybe 10 ladies would say no, doesn't mean number 11 wouldn't give it a shot. You might need to burn some bridges to get it worked out but it will work out if you try. I didn't date for a few years prior to my current and had I not approached her, we never would have met. Never know what can happen, people aren't always cruel :p I wouldn't imagine tinder of all things is the best place to find a relationship though, but perhaps my thought process is outdated.

Last edited:

matt360

We met at Starbucks. I was a regular customer and she works there. She'd always make a point to come over to my table and ask what I was studying or reading on that particular day, so we had a pretty friendly relationship for a while before I asked her out on a date. We've been married now for 6 years.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
My friends gf hooked me up with her friend, been with her for over a year, we’re living together and she has a kid on the way

Met in college, I knew she liked Sonic so I talked about that. We hung out a lot in her dorm room playing through pretty much every Sonic game, including 06. One day she was working on a project at like 2 am so I went to Taco Bell and got her Chalupas because I knew she liked them. I dropped them off and as I was leaving, I poked my head back in and said "do you wanna go out?"

The first time we kissed I think I was playing Animal Crossing Wild World on her Wii. We also made out while playing Cubivore. Weird games to form the foundation of a relationship on. Still dating 5 years later.

WarpedPixels

Neo Member
We met through OK Cupid a year ago, and kind of just hit it off immediately, we had a mutual interest in video games and the same kind of humour as each other. Was a little awkward when we did eventually meet up with each other though due to us both being shy by nature, but we eventually relaxed around each other and we've been together ever since. I recently moved towns too so we're both living together now.

It's not a super interesting story really, though I did meet a previous partner through a Twitch stream of Broken Sword 2, I was having it on as background noise whilst doing some work, and I heard her cursing at the game during a particular puzzle, and we just spent the night talking to each other about our fondness for the game and point-and-click genre in general. We only dated for a short period though, she lived in London and I lived on the other side of the country in Manchester, and I guess outside of a few things we had in common, we didn't really hit it off in a meaningful way.

Orpheum

Was stationed in Japan near Tokyo at the time. Used an online meetup site that I can't find anymore but found through HiraganaTimes to meet locals and hang out in the city. She was one of said locals, after a bit we ended up dating and traveling together (domestic & internationally), ended up proposing to her on a vacation to Hawaii after about 6ish months, were engaged for 2 and a half years, but she still moved to Germany with me during that time frame when I got relocated. Ended up getting married after I finished a 6 month deployment, and 3 and a half years later we're still together with a 2 year old son. Also we're still in Germany. Son is half American and half Japanese, and born in Germany (where he'll have spent 3 years of his life by us leaving). Also we're still traveling a LOT, the birth of our child only slowed us down for a few months and he enjoys trips as well, even if he doesn't understand what's going on exactly.

This is a really awesome story! Are you raising your son trilingual?

Susurrus

This is a really awesome story! Are you raising your son trilingual?

Thanks. Not trilingual, my wife and I do not know German apart from what we picked up since being here, and she took a class when she first got here and had more time, and we'll be leaving in about a year from now. That being said, he does play with German kids from time to time, watched German TV, and of course hangs out with us when we do interact in the German we do know (basics that help us get around) so I have no doubt he's picked up some even if he doesn't say it; we're certainly not shielding him from German.

We are, however, raising him bilingual. We try to keep it where I talk to him in English and she talks to him in Japanese so that he picks up natural accents for both languages. My wife is fluent in English and I have a pretty firm grasp of low level Japanese (still working on it daily...) so we can understand him of course since he can't differentiate yet, but we can tell he knows words in both languages, since he'll often bounce back and forth or straight say both back to back, as well as understands both of us when we tell him the same thing in different languages.

Top Bottom