• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do console gamers justify having to pay for multiplayer?

do you like paying an additional fee to get access to multiplayer on consoles

• yes

Votes: 17 12.0%
  • no

Votes: 52 36.6%
  • no but I have to

Votes: 52 36.6%
  • something else (I will elaborate in my post)

Votes: 21 14.8%

• Total voters

Pejo

I just cancelled my PS+ in December, had it since it launched. Their selection of """free""" games got so much worse in recent years, as well as less numerous. I always evened out the cost of playing online with the games I got from the service, so since it wasn't worth it anymore, I cancelled.

GriffinCorp

No, I really wished that I did not have to pay for online gaming in the console realm. I ended up skipping PlayStation Plus for a couple of years. I really only purchased online access if I found one of those 2/3 times a year sale with a year of Xbox Live for $40. I found a sale on PS Plus at thanksgiving but nothing for Xbox. I enrolled in Game Pass but honestly I'm thinking of cancelling and going back to Live. I like to "own" what I purchase and not have to worry about a pay wall.

Miles708

I used to play a lot more online on PS3 compared to PS4, exactly because it was free.
I don't play online very often so I really can't justify a subscription, but on PS3 at least I was able to have some fun on The Last of Us or GT6, at my own pace, 1 or 2 hours every couple of weeks. I have the feeling that this subscription model somehow kills the online population on smaller games.

It would be nice if, at the very least, every user had an amount of free hours of online play every day/week/month, just to be able to play online on a less intense scale, without feeling bad about it.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'm no longer paying for Ps+ as there's no multiplayer game that interest me right now and I'm mostly focusing on single player stuff. Rocket league having cross play on PC helps too as that's the only MP game I play consistently with friends on Ps4.

The years when I pay for it I don't like it but I just don't think it's as big of a deal as people make it out to be. You can get a 12 month subscription on sale for like $30-40, that's somewhere between $2.5 and $3.3 a month and I still end up playing 2 or 3 of the games they hand out every year. I know tons of people that spend more than that on coffee or some snack almost every day.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Who's this thread catering too? M$ manipulated the multiplayer community and SONY followed despite PS3 being free. Everyone wants Backwards compatibility and it's discussion all the time but what about free PS5 PSN online?

Bogey

Banned
They pay it because.. What's the (free) alternative?

Only PC gaming. And if people made that consideration mainly for financial reasons, they wouldn't buy consoles anyway - given you'll often get similar pc hardware for the same price or cheaper than consoles, and games are considerably cheaper.

In other words, I don't think the main factor for choosing consoles (including online gaming on consoles) is their price.

Last edited:
Do I want to pay for it? Obviously not, but it's only a few quid a month and the microsoft rewards I get every month more than cover it. Even if they didn't, though, I'm not a pauper.

Pallas

Gold Member
On occasion I pay for it but rarely full price, you do get small little perks though when you do subscribe like additional discounts, monthly free games, built in voice chat support and parties, plus the headache of worrying about running into someone cheating isn’t nearly as consistent. Granted certain old multiplayer games had them but usually the newer games on consoles don’t have them except on rare occasions from my experience.

As to rather I like it? I mean who whole heartily enjoys spending money on services?

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I pay for online and don’t play online. But gamepass ultimate is too good a deal to miss up on for all the free stuff and functionality. Which I guess isn’t free, seeing as I’m paying for it 🤣 But it’s pennies per month so, yeah.

How do pc players justify paying for broken unoptimised ports and early access ?
I almost never touch early access games. Maybe an ocassional demo here and there. Early access is cancer imo.
As for the rest of your question, I don't pay for broken ports. If it's really that broken I won't play it. Or if it's so broken but I absolutely must play it, I'll then pirate the living bejesus out of it and feel zero remorse.
Unoptimized ports, that's a different beast. Having op hardware and brute forcing your way through unoptimization is my solution.
But this is a thing of the past. Most console ports are laughable to any modern cpu.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I don't like it but the free games works out for me. The ps+ discounts usually cut it in about 1/2 as well.

It sucks, but I think it's about a wash for me, if not, in my favour. I'm ok with that.

Also, I find way less hackers than when I was on PC. They were everywhere.

Bryank75

Banned
Well, Xbox introduced paid online.

I subscribed to PlayStation Plus before it included online play because you got cloud storage, 2 or 3 free games and maybe some other stuff... like items for FTP games.

SO when it started including online play, I didn't even notice. Some months go by and I don't play anything online... then another month I play almost only online. The only time I get annoyed is when all the free games are things I already have.

The online is pretty cheap, considering how many games and things you get in the year. between 24 to 30 full games a year for 60 euro...

Fox Mulder

Its an irrelevant cost if you have a job and only like $50 a year. Millions of people pay it and don’t care.

People have $20 monthy gym memberships they don’t use or spend like $10 a day for coffee. I get some bonus games I may occasionally play and don’t think about it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why? Because they did

Xbox_Live_Logo.png

That's fucking why..
Why give something for free when your competitors of bragging about how much they make off their userbase?

Last edited:
I almost never touch early access games. Maybe an ocassional demo here and there. Early access is cancer imo.
As for the rest of your question, I don't pay for broken ports. If it's really that broken I won't play it. Or if it's so broken but I absolutely must play it, I'll then pirate the living bejesus out of it and feel zero remorse.
Unoptimized ports, that's a different beast. Having op hardware and brute forcing your way through unoptimization is my solution.
But this is a thing of the past. Most console ports are laughable to any modern cpu.
Fair enough. I have a gaming PC RTX 2080 and prefer the console experience. Paying for online allows me to not deal with hackers on the whole. PC feels scattered with the billion launchers. I also feel steam is littered in indie clones. I can also relate to the frame pacing of pc games feeling utter trash in quite a lot of recent games.

Multiplayer just feels better for me personally minus mmorpgs but they are dead in the water these days

Last edited:

GV82

I’m sad enough to pay just for the free games bundled in, don’t do online except maybe have a go once a year or something.

Last edited:

sn0man

I used to play a lot more online on PS3 compared to PS4, exactly because it was free.
I don't play online very often so I really can't justify a subscription, but on PS3 at least I was able to have some fun on The Last of Us or GT6, at my own pace, 1 or 2 hours every couple of weeks. I have the feeling that this subscription model somehow kills the online population on smaller games.

It would be nice if, at the very least, every user had an amount of free hours of online play every day/week/month, just to be able to play online on a less intense scale, without feeling bad about it.

I would personally love this. As an adult my online multiplayer is sporadic. My friends all have kids now or are local. To dip my toes into GT7 here and there or even to get an online-based achievement would be really great if they gave everyone 5hours a month or something.

for me personally. During the 360 days the 360 was light years ahead of all the other consoles as far as multiplayer and parties and voice chat and this that and the other. My friends and I all had 360s. I personally bought into the whole “it’s paid so less griefers and bs and the infrastructure”

now I realize there aren’t always dedicated servers and cheaters also can pay $40 on sale to grief and cheat quite a bit.

so I pay 0 for console multiplayer and enjoy some nice coop and split screen games on the couch with friends and family. As consoles remove that stuff I turn to PC more and more.

Aion002

I don't have other options, since I still play Sony exclusives that have MP.

I think it's bullshit, since Ps plus offering's for me are terrible(the games I want I just buy them) and plus discounts these days are garbage.... Like real garbage, on ps3 almost every week there was plus discounts... These days they are extremely rare.

So yeah! Fuck Ms for creating this shit and fuck Sony/Nintendo for copying it.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I don't play multiplayer anymore. I think the last time I did was with Destiny. Got tired of playing the same game over and over with events that I often missed because of schedule conflicts. So never played or bought MP driven games like Overwatch, Titanfall, Division, etc.

Stopped using PS plus and didn't think their "free" game was worth the montly fee on top of never using multiplayer services. I stick to single player games.

Last edited:
There is no justification. It's been around for years, people have started to accept it. This is the sad reality.

What I find more offensive is paying for Cloud Saves. Like, Sony... wtf?

TUROK

I can afford 80-90 dollars a year lel

I'll probably stop paying it soon since I don't play much MP these days, though.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I don‘t pay I cash in some MIcrosoft rewards points every year. I only have 144k saved up.

Even if I did pay it would be less per month then most people pay for coffee per day. 🤷‍♂️

Gargus

Banned
As a long time playstation plus member I will chime in.

Every year around black Friday I pay 40 dollars for another years. Less than 4 bucks a month so that's not much.

I get several games i can add to my digital account a month at no extra charge. A few days i added bioshock collection and sims 4 which are 20 dollars each on Amazon now so I'll get to play them both and save 40 dollars. I also get it for my stepson which means I dont have to buy him many games as he always plays the games that come out each month. He only gets retail games on his birthday and christmas.

I get discounts on the playstation store which is nice, especially when i get that discount on top of a sale price.

100gb for online save storage.

Access to demos and trials and betas others dont.

And several other features I dont use.

So to me it's easy to justify just on the games I get to add to my account every month I normally wouldn't pay to try out.

How do pc players justify paying for broken unoptimised ports and early access ?
How do console players justify paying for low framerate, low resolution games and early access, as they exist on console as well....

See how that can be turned around? Btw if rumors are true, say goodbye to the handful of exclusives, with lower resolution, lower framerate on next gen consoles, compared to pc.

Banned
Microsoft has to drop XBL Gold next gen... it's ridiculous on PS4 already but it is beyond ridiculous on Xbox.
you can buy the exact same game on PC (let's say Gears 5) and play online for free... and that's different from just other multiplatform games that release on PC as well, no here we are talking THE SAME FUCKING GAME, as in you buy it once and have it on both.
so you are getting penalized for playing on their console instead of a PC.

at least cloud saves are free on Xbox One/Win 10

and now with their other subscriptions like GamePass Ultimate which include XBL Gold, just getting Gold on its own is pretty much a waste of money IMO, since it's not that much more expensive to just get GamePass Ultimate.

Microsoft has to drop the Gold subscription because there is absolutely no excuse for it anymore. Windows 10 players use the exact same Xbox infrastructure and the exact same Xbox servers and games, yet play online for free, and since they want Xbox and Windows 10 to grow closer and closer this is the logical next step towards that.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Bloodborne, Nioh (I also have on pc, but I have more hours played on ps4) and Uncharted 4.... Also soon Nioh 2.

Old games? Sure, but I still play them.
But Bloodborne and Nioh are singleplayer games!

Banned
People co-op in Bloodborne I guess?

and Ni-Oh also has coop, and it has that feature where you summon the ghost of a player that died for a chance to get some of his gear if you beat the AI.
all of that will not work without PS+

also messages etc.

Aion002

People co-op in Bloodborne I guess?

Souls online community is the biggest
aspect of the game for many players, pvp and pve, creating builds to invade at low level or for helping other players... Without online, for me, souls is just half of the game.

and Ni-Oh also has coop, and it has that feature where you summon the ghost of a player that died for a chance to get some of his gear if you beat the AI.
all of that will not work without PS+

also messages etc.

Nioh also has arena for pvp and online specific missions.

Top Bottom