• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do console gamers justify having to pay for multiplayer?

do you like paying an additional fee to get access to multiplayer on consoles

• yes

Votes: 17 12.0%
  • no

Votes: 52 36.6%
  • no but I have to

Votes: 52 36.6%
  • something else (I will elaborate in my post)

Votes: 21 14.8%

• Total voters
Never been happy about it but I willingly paid it to join the ecosystem that is Xbox live. I would have been fine playing on ps3 but it always seemed lesser even if I had no experience with it because it was paid. Also, my brother was on 360, so that's where I was going to be no matter what. In time the value grew for me with the free games so now I pay for it with the mind set of, thanks, continue keeping things the same or make them better but don't give me less. Also, I figure that I'm still coming out ahead after 10 years of paying 60 bucks is still much cheaper than building, maintaining, and upgrading a pc. Today's top end TI card alone is still more than the 10 years of Live and the consoles I've bought combined. I'm happy to pay.

Humdinger

Like others have said, I haven't paid for online gaming in many years. I lost interest in it.

If I were interested in it, I wouldn't mind ponying up $60/year for a closed, secure, well-maintained system.

I remember having this argument when XBL first came on the scene. Bottom line, people had so much fun with it, they didn't mind paying. At the time -- back when I was into it -- I thought $50/year was a cheap price to pay. I didn't mind at all.

Justin9mm

The problem is simply that we have no choice, once Xbox started doing it, Sony also followed to capitalise on it.

If you are a console gamer, besides building/buying a PC, where are you going to go? They have everyone against the wall. It's not like everyone can rally and protest and just stop console gaming.

I honestly think that if either Sony or Microsoft could come out and say guess what, we are going to make it free again.. They would win some people over very quickly. Imagine Sony saying when next gen is released, guess what, we are making online multiplayer free again because we care about you and what you want. That would hurt Microsoft really bad.

How do console players justify paying for low framerate, low resolution games and early access, as they exist on console as well....

See how that can be turned around? Btw if rumors are true, say goodbye to the handful of exclusives, with lower resolution, lower framerate on next gen consoles, compared to pc.
Thing is I would choose Zelda links awakening at its measly frame rate and low res any day over League of Legends or any popular pc title.

On the subject: Paying for multiplayer Is worth it alone to not deal with hackers. It ruins online for me personally. PC gamers always downplay it but it’s rampant in every popular multiplayer game on pc. And the lucrative thing about monthly sub is the free games.

Thing is I would choose Zelda links awakening at its measly frame rate and low res any day over League of Legends or any popular pc title.

On the subject: Paying for multiplayer Is worth it alone to not deal with hackers. It ruins online for me personally. PC gamers always downplay it but it’s rampant in every popular multiplayer game on pc. And the lucrative thing about monthly sub is the free games.
Hackers exist on every console. Ever play COD, Apex, GTAV, or any other competitive multiplayer game on console? Full of hackers and modded lobbies, using all kind of exploits. Very disingenuous comparison, as hackers will be on every platform. So essentially paying to play with hackers, vs free online gaming with hackers. And there are thousands upon thousands of free titles on pc, compared to the "free" games you paid for with the monthly subscription.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Simply put, gamers will kowtow to any bad industry practice, especially if it’s their fave doing it. Even, in my experience, the ones who complain about this stuff.

Everything bad in gaming right now, we as a plurality willingly voted for with our wallets. It really is quite astonishing.

Flintty

1. Lets not turn this into a console Vs PC thread.
2. Lets not turn it into a ‘shit on console peasants who pay for online’ thread.

It’s obvious the majority will say they don’t like to pay for it because surprise, we’re human and like free shit. But this is capitalism and you do get what you pay for. I get online console gaming for peanuts which is free from cheating and for the majority of the time, a decent service. I waste more cash on booze and other useless shit I don’t really need.

I sometimes play on PC and take the hit on what comes with that but the majority of my online time is on Xbox. Just gotta suck it up.

Flintty

The problem is simply that we have no choice, once Xbox started doing it, Sony also followed to capitalise on it.

Lets be clear though. MS didn’t see what people were doing and decide to monetise it. They started the whole online console gaming gig (Dreamcast doesn’t fully count). And it was fucking years before Sony followed suit, and whilst I never played PS online, I remember a shit ton of people complaining how bad it was. MS channeled the profit into improving the Live service and took features like those used in Halo 2 and made them standard. It was worth the entry price for all of the above.

But like I said earlier, at this point, paying for it feels out-dated. I think MS know this which is why they Bundle games with it and have Gamepass Ultimate.

DarkestHour

Banned
They talk about "free" games from sony or M...
I mean, have you ever seen a free games on pc? Cmon...

Are you being sarcastic? There's actually plenty of free games on PC. Epic Store has been giving them out and sometimes Steam does too. These are free to keep. No bullshit fee you have to pay to play them again like PSN.

Hackers exist on every console. Ever play COD, Apex, GTAV, or any other competitive multiplayer game on console? Full of hackers and modded lobbies, using all kind of exploits. Very disingenuous comparison, as hackers will be on every platform. So essentially paying to play with hackers, vs free online gaming with hackers. And there are thousands upon thousands of free titles on pc, compared to the "free" games you paid for with the monthly subscription.
Much harder to hack on console. Modded lobbies are mostly a ps3/Xbox 360 era issue on console. Considering if you jailbreak a PS4 you cannot play it online. It’s going to be an issue on cross play games that’s why I turn crossplay off when I can.

If I have to pay monthly to keep away from the amount of hackers I endured on PC last year then so be it.

Yes hundreds of free games. Big library. And the endless backlog of Steam games. And quality over quantity for me as it’s been years since I’ve personally played a solid PC exclusive. Steam sales have not been the same for years and don’t even get me started on the fragmented game launchers.

I find it funny because when pc gamers say free they usually mean pirated. They are after all the communists of the gaming community 😂

Jokes aside I could care less which platform someone plays on but I always laugh when I see threads like this because it’s always just pc vs console. Always someone having a dick measuring contest. Of course it’s usually the derp pc mustard race.

I have a decent gaming PC and I still choose to play on console. The sub costs less than a brand new game if you get it during Black Friday.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What's the difference between "No" and "No but I have to"? No one has to pay for multiplayer and obviously no one likes paying for anything. Actually that makes the whole poll pointless.

I think XBL and PS+ need to offer more than a few free games a month to justify the cost. Gamepass Ultimate is doing it right and has great value, but not everyone will want or need all that it offers, so there should still be lower cost options.

There really is no reason they should be charging for multiplayer, but they sure as hell will happily continue to take our money as long as we keep handing it. I do believe these services will evolve into offering cloud gaming and futher value and I can see them having to be more competitive as more players jump in the game.

Justin9mm

Lets be clear though. MS didn’t see what people were doing and decide to monetise it. They started the whole online console gaming gig (Dreamcast doesn’t fully count). And it was fucking years before Sony followed suit, and whilst I never played PS online, I remember a shit ton of people complaining how bad it was. MS channeled the profit into improving the Live service and took features like those used in Halo 2 and made them standard. It was worth the entry price for all of the above.

But like I said earlier, at this point, paying for it feels out-dated. I think MS know this which is why they Bundle games with it and have Gamepass Ultimate.
I've had every Playstation since day 1 of each release. I played a lot of online multiplayer from PS3 forward. Those complaints whilst true are exaggerated and so is justifying the price of entry for improving service and features on Xbox. I'm not against Xbox, I currently own an X as well as the Pro, but you sound like you'e just defended Microsoft for doing what they are doing. It was greedy for them to charge and it was Greedy for Sony to follow suit. Let's not sugar coat it.

GymWolf

Are you being sarcastic? There's actually plenty of free games on PC. Epic Store has been giving them out and sometimes Steam does too. These are free to keep. No bullshit fee you have to pay to play them again like PSN.
Of course i was being sarcastic. :lollipop_squinting:

Connxtion

I don’t mind paying a one off fee a year for no aim bots and wall hacks you get on most PC MP games now a days.

Now this is becoming an issue though with cross play, COD for example I have been killed a couple times now with some one running about and some how flipping round and pinging me in the head from miles away almost instantly.

Note: I tried recording said thing but for some reason it only recorded 7 seconds of footage and it was borked. Two times in the 1 game, so unless PC folk can arse up XB1 folks screen cap I haven’t a clue.

Also I don’t have a choice lol, but I have always found XBL more stable than PSN, can’t say how PSN is now as I haven’t used it since it pay wall.

Last edited:

vkbest

I remember when online gaming was free on PS3 but I still liked MP on the 360 better.

Dont think that is because PSN. Most companies are using their own servers or even using some console like host. PSN is better than old times but I think companies are using more dedicated server now, instead using a host (PC, Console,etc) like last gen.

I don’t think anyone likes paying for something that should be free. Especially that shit PSN network.

People like to rag on about steam’ 30% cut, but they basically made the publishers pay for the infrastructure for their multiplayer games instead of offloading that on the consumer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like it, but I understand why we have to pay for this. Microsoft has to build all these services themselves and this costs time and money. It has to come from somewhere, right?

Shiken

The same way they justify writing off a good game that is exclusive to a different console than the one they choose to play on.

INC

Having moved to pc after being a console gamer since the atrai
There is no justification

U could argue free games, but with deals like humble bundle, and low cost of pc games overall, there's no excuse

PlayStation online service is meh, don't know about Xbox, bit neither are worth a monthly fee, and I see that now.

Plus games I've bought become locked when my subscription runs out too, so it's a rip off

One of the reasons I didn't move onto newer consoles is due to mandatory online subscription. Paying to access your internet is ridiculous to me and I don't get people who justify buying into it.

I think the free online on PS3 has actually matured well, I still meet people online regularly. Some folks on my friendslist have started to reappear after a long time of absence.

Last edited:

Flintty

I've had every Playstation since day 1 of each release. I played a lot of online multiplayer from PS3 forward. Those complaints whilst true are exaggerated and so is justifying the price of entry for improving service and features on Xbox. I'm not against Xbox, I currently own an X as well as the Pro, but you sound like you'e just defended Microsoft for doing what they are doing. It was greedy for them to charge and it was Greedy for Sony to follow suit. Let's not sugar coat it.

Fair comments. Honestly though it was less me defending corporations and more my personal take/reasons for being OK with paying for it. I’m no shill. Quite happy to throw shade at any corporation when they do stuff I don’t agree with 🤘🏻

dilbag

PSPlus and Xbox Live Gold have put me off console gaming as well. If there's no cross-platform play for PS5 and Xbox Elite Series (or whatever it's called) then I'll just stick to PC gaming.

Going forward I think Cross play should be a must. Division 2 would be way better off with cross play, it helps keep populations alive. Plus it sucks having platform walls keeping me and my friends from gaming together. Some of them are pc guys and some are console players.....

G-Bus

Banned
Wouldn't say I like it, but I certainly don't care enough to not buy it?

$70 for a year is nothing. 19 cents a day? Oh no.

I wanted to play online, paying for the service was the only way so I did that. Unfortunately a lot of people feel the same way because it's a thing that works for Sony

The "free" games are a nice touch to it all.

I've had the service tied to my credit since the PS4 launch and haven't thought about it since.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't pay, so I simply don't play multiplayer games on consoles. I do have a Nintendo Online subscription I got through Twitch, but have never used it.

GreatnessRD

It's one of the most absurd cost, but I do it to play with family and friends. We're older in life, so we can't meet up like in our early 20s. But I still despise Microsoft because they started this garbage. If I was a big business I'd do it too. Especially since folks are willing to pay.

But.
Do you like paying an additional fee for a water supply so that you can survive to play multiplayer games on your console?
But,
do you like paying an additional fee for your cell phone so that you can call for help in case you get sick while playing multiplayer games on your console?

Cranberrys

I have trouble understanding the problem? I am a Xbox Ultimate Game Pass subscriber (so Gold + Gamepass), it's 12,99€ a month which is cheap considering the offer, before that I was a Gold subscriber since 2003 or 2004 and it costed 59,99€ a year so less than 10€ a month, so pretty cheap too. PS3 was maybe free but the online experience was nowhere near Xbox Live back then. I don't see how paying 13€ a month is a problem considering that a videogaming experience at its core is a costly one (you need at least an HDTV ou Monitor, a console, some kind of sound system or headset, a house to put all that stuff in, an internet access and of course electricity) so 13 or 10 a month (I don't know how much PS+ costs) doesn't seem excessive in that regard.

I have trouble understanding the problem? I am a Xbox Ultimate Game Pass subscriber (so Gold + Gamepass), it's 12,99€ a month which is cheap considering the offer, before that I was a Gold subscriber since 2003 or 2004 and it costed 59,99€ a year so less than 10€ a month, so pretty cheap too. PS3 was maybe free but the online experience was nowhere near Xbox Live back then. I don't see how paying 13€ a month is a problem considering that a videogaming experience at its core is a costly one (you need at least an HDTV ou Monitor, a console, some kind of sound system or headset, a house to put all that stuff in, an internet access and of course electricity) so 13 or 10 a month (I don't know how much PS+ costs) doesn't seem excessive in that regard.
It's something that should be free. You pay 60 usd for a game and that should cover single player and also multiplayer.
I don't know the exact number Sony takes through royalties, but let's say it's 10 percent. I believe it's in this ballpark, maybe even more.
Sony's online infrastructure costs should be covered through this royalty. Let's say you play Battlefield V. You're not playing on Sony's servers, you're playing on EA's servers.
It's a fee that is just there to take your money, imo.

wolffy71

Banned
I could build a gaming pc, wish it was as simple as just plugging a console into my tv, give up playing with my friends online, or I could just pay $60 for a year. Not to mention the other perks of online console services.

johntown

Banned
The only slight advantage I have seen for this is a much larger cut down on hackers in multitplayer games. Some PC games this can be annoying.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
I have a PSN subscription on auto-renew and have completely forgotten about it. At this stage, i don't give a crap, every month i add two free games (that -for some reason- i never wanted to spend money on) to the library... And that's it :messenger_winking:

With all the expenses that people incur nowadays, such small things are lost in time and space. It's like one extra dinner per month. I can't determine if it's a good or bad thing.

sublimit

Banned
The time to have said "no" for having to pay for multiplayer was last gen but people instead showed that they loved having to pay for MP.

When i was telling people that they were nuts for paying monthly subscriptions to MS just for MP they were telling me that i was wrong and Sony should have done the same in order to have better online play and for the PS store to perform better (which was the stupidest thing i'd ever heard).

Now you reap what you sow except that the same people who were justifying MS for having to pay for MP last gen are the same ones who blame Sony now for not having free online play.

Basically gamer hypocrisy at its finest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom