• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Do I Do This? Selling a PS4 with a Digital Library

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I'm looking to sell my PS4 and include the digitally downloaded games as a bonus, including PT.

A) Can I delete my account, CC info, etc and still allow the purchaser to play the games on the console?
B) I intend to eventually get a PS5 - for those games that are compatible/upgradable, can I still play those games without repurchasing them?
C) What kind of price should I expect to get? It's a launch model base PS4 and includes probably about 20 downloaded games, including PT

Thanks guys.

th4tguy

You don't. The games are tied to your account. Not the system. When you sell the system, you can't sell the games with it.
There are ways to fudge it and sort of allow it but you would have to leave your account associated with the system but eventually the person who buys it will have to relog into your account to keep using the games.

So just don't

ManaByte

Gold Member
Your games are linked to your account. Accounts are not transferable and Sony can (and will) ban accounts that are sold. When that happens the person you sold it to will come after you for their money, not Somy.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm looking to sell my PS4 and include the digitally downloaded games as a bonus, including PT.

A) Can I delete my account, CC info, etc and still allow the purchaser to play the games on the console?
B) I intend to eventually get a PS5 - for those games that are compatible/upgradable, can I still play those games without repurchasing them?
C) What kind of price should I expect to get? It's a launch model base PS4 and includes probably about 20 downloaded games, including PT

Thanks guys.

You can't extricate your account from whatever you used to set it up. You should be able to change your email (to something generic), but not sure how that would work overall (or if SONY has measures in place to prevent this exact thing).

. . .honestly just sounds like you should sell the PS4 and just keep the games for when you're getting the PS5.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Off course, it is against the terms of their service.
Okay thanks, didn't know that since honestly, I've never read any "terms of service" in my whole life. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Still kinda shitty tho. It's your account, you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

Fbh

As far as I know your only 2 options are:

- If it's someone you really trust just leave your account on there and set the console as primary so they can play the games with their own account. Keep in mind they'll have access to your account, can make purchases (if you have a CC associated with it), use whatever balance you have on your account, play as you online, etc.

- Remove your CC information from it, make a new email adress and change it to that (maybe change the billing address to a dummy one) and hand over access of the account to the buyer. Of course this means you'll no longer have access to your digital games or username and you'll have to start fresh with a new account when you get a Ps5.

You can leave your account on the console, just make sure that your password is complex enough that the buyer can't buy stuff with it.... also there are issues with this method:

• The other person can gain trophies under your name (unless they play from a different local account I guess)
  • They can impersonate you in chat and online games
  • You are still sharing an account that belongs to you with someone else, make sure that they know that if the console dies you will not give them your password so help them log back in (I assume that if you ever change your password they will loose access to everything)
So digital baby!

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Okay thanks, didn't know that since honestly, I've never read any "terms of service" in my whole life. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Still kinda shitty tho. It's your account, you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

If your transaction isnt visible online, the chances of sony banning that account are null. How dafuk they gonna know its a different person behind that account lmao? They're not going to check out of all millions of users that you're in a different location(maybe u moved or w/e).

jaysius

Banned
Funny story, I was at an EB Games once, and an elderlyish mother came in and asked them if their WiiU's came with any games, the scum bag store workers said "the only ones we have are used, but they come with games most times already on the system." they made a sale and gave each other a high five and the lady walked out with a machine... fucking dirt bags.

As for your question, selling a PSN account is against the TOS, if the person you sell it to understands this, they'll get you into trouble.

sainraja

Thanks guys.
So, if you want to include the digitally downloaded games, you'll need to basically "sell" your account. If you do that, you won't have access to the library anymore so you won't be able to download games from your library to the PS5 and play them. But selling your account being allowed? Probably not.

I sold my PS4 Pro recently and I got about $300 for it and it sold fast (so even the old consoles are somewhat in demand). For a launch model, you can probably expect to get $150 to $200 depending on its condition, etc.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Is not lol
artworks-VMxaNLZVRzUTNtoc-njQMQg-t500x500.jpg

You can just let go of your account and start a new one on your new machine if you want to retain the value of your games and PT. Depends what you can get for it but I guess with PT it might be worth just starting a new account and getting the money. You just remove any details possible like bank cards, email addresses, edit the account with a new email that you hand over to the buyer and put in their home address, and let your PSN ID go.

T-Cake

I left my account on my old PS4 when I gave it a family member. I set it up with the 4 digit PIN so if they try to log in, they won't get anywhere without it. There is an option to reset PIN but that requires you to log in with your PSN account, which they also won't have.

Thanks guys.
Ah, is anyone still wondering about the benefit of not going to an all digital future? You get anywhere from a 40% to 60% resale value for games (higher for Nintendo) for physical on eBay. Let’s keep physical alive, particularly given how expensive games have become recently.

DJ12

As far as I know your only 2 options are:

- If it's someone you really trust just leave your account on there and set the console as primary so they can play the games with their own account. Keep in mind they'll have access to your account, can make purchases (if you have a CC associated with it), use whatever balance you have on your account, play as you online, etc.
You can set a pin on the account. I sold mine to someone I know so told them if/when the games stop working, tough luck on them. I didn't include any of the digital games when telling them what they were purchasing though.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

and this is why I WILL NEVER buy digital games unless I really have to

and with physical games retain/appreciate their values like right now, why the fuck do people buy digital
They'll come up all sorts of BS reasons but at the end of the day it's cause they're too lazy to get off their ass to change the disc.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
and this is why I WILL NEVER buy digital games unless I really have to

and with physical games retain/appreciate their values like right now, why the fuck do people buy digital

I mean, the OP wants to sell his digital games while still being able to keep them and play them himself. You can't do that with physical games either.

(I also still buy physical in most cases, so I'm not arguing against that.)

I mean, the OP wants to sell his digital games while still being able to keep them and play them himself. You can't do that with physical games either.

(I also still buy physical in most cases, so I'm not arguing against that.)

you don't understand, with physical, your games still have monetary values, some even appreciate

with digital, you can't re-sell them

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Probs just change your email address and password to the buyers, remove any stored card details then start a new PSN account yourself - think you can do that?

But as others have said you’ll lose the games.

sainraja

I mean, the only reason to consider selling your PlayStation account is if you know you will never need to access it again — be it because you are switching ecosystems, or because you are giving up gaming altogether. You could get a good sum depending on the # of games associated with your account but ofcourse the legality of it is something you will need to get clarity on or you could simply say that you are selling the system with your account with digital games (charge what you would want but don't advertise the cost includes the account lol.)

Last edited:

Banned
A complete rundown of how the Licensing system works:

1) if you wanna sell that system including all of your games,
that means that person will also get every future game you will purchase as the system will be permanently tied to that PSN Account unless you disconnect it at which point the person you sold it to will lose access to all the games as well.

2) you can have both 1 PS4 system and 1 PS5 system set up as your "home console" or "primary console" at once.
meaning if you only plan to ever use your account again on a PS5 then there will be no conflict.
should the person who bought that PS4 at any time want to upgrade to a PS5 he will not be able to transfer the games over or use any of them on his PS5

2b) you will be able to use your account on other PS4 systems and play all your games on that PS4, but you can not set that PS4 as your Primary Console without taking away the games from the person you sold the PS4 to.
meaning if you plan to use the account on another PS4 only YOUR ACCOUNT will be able to use YOUR games on that other PS4.

3) you would need to keep your account on the PS4 you sell and hope that your account is not in any way accessible by the person who buys your PS4.
meaning you need a strong password and a 2 factor authentication at least to feel save.
And even then I know a person whose PSN account got compromised twice even tho he had 2 factor authentication on.

4) if Sony gets wind of what's happening, your account is at risk of getting banned

TL;DR
•it is possible to do, but you need to set the PS4 you sell as your Primary Console and keep your account on it which is dangerous.
•The buyer will never be able to transfer those games to another system (other PS4 or PS5).
•You can in the future use that account on a PS5 yourself without issue. And even set that PS5 as a Primary Console without interfering with the PS4
•Sony can ban you if they find out

Last edited:
PS5 and switch have made me see the value in physical again. i can buy them and sell them for near the same price on ebay. my PS4 library is mainly digital because the sales were so good i didnt need to worry about reselling them. full priced digital games is daylight robbery. £70? fuck that.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Your games are linked to your account. Accounts are not transferable and Sony can (and will) ban accounts that are sold. When that happens the person you sold it to will come after you for their money, not Somy.
The digital future. Yikes! And I'm sure Nintendo and Microsoft have the same type of restrictions as well.

That is why I will stick with physical releases until that is no longer an option.

They turn people into sheep and later on they will also shear them for moar profit.

yep, they keep telling consumers, digital is the future.....and people will follow without questioning what they're losing ......meanwhile physical games continue to appreciate in second hand market just like any other collectibles during pandemic; comics, cards, toys,

Last edited:
Top Bottom