• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do we feel about actors playing characters of other races?

Kimahri

Banned
I'm norwegian, and we're usually portrayed by germans, swedes and australians.

I don't care, I just roll my eyes a tiny bit when I hear them butcher our language.

Unless it's a swede though. That's not cool and is cultural appropriation at its worst. Swedes are the worst.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Apocalypto is one of the best films of the 2000’s. In fact, it is one of the few recent western films that is worth watching. I would take a well told story in any culture of the garbage we are being fed. Moreover, I would take a well told story about any race or mixture of races as long as I don’t feel I am being preached to. I think the reason Apocalypto worked so well is the Hollywood production value and pacing.

Foisting other races into these stories is ridiculous, but IT IS INTENTIONALLY RIDICULOUS. They want to destroy these stories as they milk them for cash. Destroying a people’s culture is a way of taking their strength, their will to resist.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

It's shitty, because race swapping works only one way. People are upset if a fictional character like Motoko is suddenly played by a white actress, but they don't have a problem with swapping races for actual (white) historical characters.

Last edited:
Smarter, score better, and are a pain in the ass from "everything is racism" perspective, (women) have better earning stats, and lower incarceration rates than whites.
Everytime I bring asians up in a discussion about systemic racism, it suddenly feels like this:

140044286_5c4552af8e_edit2-1400x788.jpg

They got no answer on why asians do so well.

Dacon

Banned
I intensely dislike it, whether with fictional characters or people who really lived.

We have enough black historical figures, folk heroes, and comic book characters to choose from that there is absolutely no reason to race swap, instead of utilizing them. It aggravates me to no end.

Not only are you sending the message that the only good black character is a white character with black skin, but youre robbing plenty of REAL black characters the chance to shine.

Race matters, not because of some kind of inherent personal characteristics that it endows a person with, but because it's a part of who we are. If it didn't matter, we wouldn't make such a big deal about the lack of diversity, or feel the need to change races in the first place.

Last edited:
So Jesus is now culturally inappropriate to all races

What a guy
Religion is a tricky one though isn't it? It's like Buddha, is the slim Asian Buddha more correct than the fat oriental Buddha? It's certainly more likely to be historically accurate, but like with Jesus, it's his teachings and moral/spiritual code that's important, not what the guy looks like.

Ones relationship to the divine is both personal and social more than anything, so the validity of the argument for historically accuracy seems a little pointless to me.

INC

Religion is a tricky one though isn't it? It's like Buddha, is the slim Asian Buddha more correct than the fat oriental Buddha? It's certainly more likely to be historically accurate, but like with Jesus, it's his teachings and moral/spiritual code that's important, not what the guy looks like.

Ones relationship to the divine is both personal and social more than anything, so the validity of the argument for historically accuracy seems a little pointless to me.

Not really, it's all make believe, so u want an Asian Jesus, well thats fine, its only a fairytale after all.

Mohonky

Depends on context.

In the OP, Anne Boleyn being played by a black women is a big cringe. She was white. Like its not really a choice, its just historically inaccurate.

In that regard, I find stuff kind of weird; or when a character has been portrayed forever in some form of media as looking a certain way, and then you gets this really jarring choice of actor that is nothing like the source material.

If its historically inaccurate, dont fuck with it. If the character is already a known quantity, dont fuck with it.

Cravis

For historical people I want a realistic depiction. If they were white, get a white actor. If they were fat, get a fat actor. Fictional characters are fair game.

I can’t help but look at the picture in the link of her on set and just laugh. Especially the face she is making. 🤪

While we are at it let’s get Peter Dinklage to play Andre the Giant in a biopic.

Actually that might be pretty damn good. They should do it but play it straight. Like no one pays attention to his size and still acts like he is this mammoth giant of a man 🤣

tichamac

Banned
It's a very strange thing. Society has decided that the majority of its population, the ones who built and maintained this nation for centuries, have become problematic. Open racial hostility towards them is not only acceptable, but enthusiastically promoted and even codified into law. Personally, I'm curious to see what happens in 10-15 years when whites become a minority in their own lands and the US become a far-left, single party state.

As everything with intersectionality, the game is infinite, and therefore one cannot win, but one can make everyone lose.

If you're gonna hire an actor for say Abe Lincoln, you can complain about his color, about his face, about his hair, about his EVERYTHING.

You're at the mercy of the person that whines loudest. This is not a good game to play. I've called all this nonsense a DDOS on the West before. Still holds up.

This is all not a good thing to spend energy on, actual problems demand attention.

Fbh

-For historical figures or movies/shows set in actual historical settings I like them to try and represent the characters and setting as faithfully as possible.
-For fictional characters it's the double standard more than the actual race swapping that bothers me. IMO either it's ok to swap races or it's not, the "it's ok only as long as the character was originally white" is stupid.
- Even if you race swap a fictional character, I think you should still try to stay faithful to the overall features of said character (personality, backstory, attractiveness, etc). If the character was originally a hot redhead and you are going to race swap her, at least keep the hotness (cough Triss in the Witcher cough)

Last edited:

Romulus

The other skewed aspect is mixed race characters. And theres various degrees to what some think is ok for that, can someone from either race play that character? Or only black people? I've seen several arguments and it basically seems like it's ok as long as, you guess it, a white person isn't doing the voice acting.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

The other skewed aspect is mixed race characters. And theres various degrees to what some think is ok for that, can someone from either race play that character? Or only black people? I've seen several arguments and it basically seems like it's ok as long as, you guess it, a white person isn't doing the voice acting.

Yet it's okay for a black man to voice a white guy.

f734d40f99d20838b9867a2d62d06809.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
The real problem is that hollywood keeps going back to the same story well over and over. I'm sure we will get a black Robin Hood soon. The problem with this isn't that Robin Hood shouldn't be played by a black guy/gal, its that they should STOP MAKNG ROBIN HOOD MOVIES and go to a new source if they want a black hero story! I gotta think there are lots of them if screenwriters would read a book every now and then.

INC

The real problem is that hollywood keeps going back to the same story well over and over. I'm sure we will get a black Robin Hood soon. The problem with this isn't that Robin Hood shouldn't be played by a black guy/gal, its that they should STOP MAKNG ROBIN HOOD MOVIES and go to a new source if they want a black hero story! I gotta think there are lots of them if screenwriters would read a book every now and then.

Robin hood would be fine, since he's a frictional character

Also I bet there's a "Robin Da Hood" movie somewhere, I bet he even holds his bow sideways and says "break thy self fool"

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Fiction I couldn't care less and its just victim hood, virtue signalling.

Non Fiction it is a lot harder to swallow because a lot of the time they try and thrust other races where they shouldn't be.

OrtizTwelve

First, I understand this topic may seem controversial. I am not here to stir the pot. I would like an adult and rational conversation about the issue if possible, but I understand the subject matter may be difficult to discuss.

Today, while eating my breakfast, I came across this article.

As you can see, Jodie Turner-Smith is a black actress, but she is taking on the role of Anne Boleyn, who was the white wife of 16th century English king, Henry VIII.

Now, I personally want to see a world where nobody is judged by their skin colour and we're all treated equally as humans, yet I know for sure that if this was the other way around, for example a white/Asian person playing the role of a historical black person, then this would be deemed as totally unacceptable and racist.

This seems odd to me. It seems that if the person of history is white, then anybody of any race can play them. However, if that person from history is any other race beside white, then only a person of the same race can portray the individual.

Does that not seem wrong to you? It does to me because it is not treating everyone equally.

However, I did also remember how the situation has taken a bizarre turn recently.

Last year, Will Smith landed the role of Richard Williams (Father of Serena and Venus Williams), but there was backlash to this casting.

Yes, both Will Smith and Richard Williams are black, but according to some people, Will Smith should not have been given the role because his skin is too light. They called it an example of Colourism.

This seems equally bizarre to me. Both are black. Yeah, Will Smith may have lighter skin than Richard Williams, but they are both black men.

One hand, we're saying Will Smith isn't black enough to play Richard Williams, but on the other end, we're saying it's totally fine for people of any race to portray historical white people?

I'm not sure where I stand with any of it. I think that we need to either go beyond race and let any actor play any historical person, even if the race of the actor and historical figure is totally different. Or we go the complete opposite direction, but we can't have one rule for some races and different rules for other races as that for me is discrimination.

Discuss

My opinion is that it I don't think it really matters, but it does take away from a film if it is intended to be historically accurate, based on history, etc.

Movies are make believe anyways, so not a big deal. I guess it's all about intention. Is the filmmaker trying to be accurate? If so, then cast according to history. If not, it doesn't matter.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Robin hood would be fine, since he's a frictional character

Also I bet there's a "Robin Da Hood" movie somewhere, I bet he even holds his bow sideways and says "break thy self fool"
Well, then I would say it depends on the setting. 13th century england would make a black protagonist or antagonist very unlikely IMHO, especially if Robin is part of the nobility himself.

But change the setting and a race/gender swapped Robin could work.

Same with this Anne Bolyn thing. Change the setting to a modern period and I have no issue with it. But if you are supposed to be recreating the actual historical people, it is poor form and we all know it only goes 1 way these days.

I would rather see NEW stories featuring minorities than recasting of well trodden white stories, personally.

INC

Well, then I would say it depends on the setting. 13th century england would make a black protagonist or antagonist very unlikely IMHO, especially if Robin is part of the nobility himself.

But change the setting and a race/gender swapped Robin could work.

Same with this Anne Bolyn thing. Change the setting to a modern period and I have no issue with it. But if you are supposed to be recreating the actual historical people, it is poor form and we all know it only goes 1 way these days.

I would rather see NEW stories featuring minorities than recasting of well trodden white stories, personally.

EHYYibr.jpg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
My opinion is that it I don't think it really matters, but it does take away from a film if it is intended to be historically accurate, based on history, etc.

Movies are make believe anyways, so not a big deal. I guess it's all about intention. Is the filmmaker trying to be accurate? If so, then cast according to history. If not, it doesn't matter.

Yeah. It shouldn't matter, but at the moment it's all very confusing.

White person would never be allowed to play the part of a non-white historical figure, but non-white people can play white historical figures. Then there is the whole colourism debate where people like Will Smith are getting roasted for not being black enough for a part?

I just want some fair consistency.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Having a voice actor play a cartoon character that doesn't match their own color is fine. Having a real actor play the role of somebody that's not traditionally their own color is annoying, especially if it's done for woke points. And face it, even if it's not virtue signaling (I don't think things like The Wiz would fall into that category), it usually comes across that way nowadays.

And the argument that white actors are "taking jobs" from everyone else when they accept roles that aren't traditionally white is bullshit. Did anyone have a problem with Christopher Judge (Kratos, new God of War. Also, black.) taking a job from somebody? Nope. How many gays in Hollywood take straight rolls? I'm willing to bet it's a lot more than the other way. And more power to them! Is Cucklefish doing a 'blind' voice audition for War Groove and hiring based on talent and how well the voice matches the creator's image of the character wrong? Apparently, as they have vowed to only hire voice actors that somewhat match their digital in-game appearance.

In general, I'm not down with inaccurate portrayals in the name of inclusivity for projects that strive to be historically accurate. Kingdom Come Deliverance got it right, and took heat for not having enough "people of color". Total War (fuck you, Creative Assembly) got it wrong, but they finessed the issue with the excuse that there was a difference between being "historically accurate" and "historically authentic". And it's even more annoying in works of fiction. We don't need (or judging by ratings, usually don't even want) a reboot of a franchise in the name of inclusivity.

What really bothers me (and seems to be a bigger deal than the actual color of the actor) is the double-standard. Nobody seems to have a problem with things like Hamilton or White Chicks. But if the shoe were on the other hand, watchout, because racism! I think that's what bothers most people more than the shoehorning, virtue signaling, and a woke agenda.

Ho Ho Ho and Merry Christmas!

151223152331-real-black-santa-dee-christmas-lemon-intv-nr-00002806-super-tease.jpg

O-N-E

Depends on how absurd the difference is.

Like Dev Patel playing White people... it's strange, but can still be somewhat ok. He's believable as a Meditteranean type White. I'm sure those existed to some extent in England.

In other words, I really want to see this movie.

Papa

Banned
If everyone could just laugh at themselves, the world would be a better place.

look at haxan7 haxan7 . The guy’s an absolute sack of shit, but he’s secure in his shittiness and can have a good laugh about it.

if we were all more like haxan and less like that self-important prick, Papa Papa , we’d all be better off.

how very dare u sir

Batiman

Banned
Doesn’t bother me at all TBH. Colour never makes a character. The only thing that bugs me a bit when race affects the story. For example, I’m not too happy with the cast of the new wheel of time series only because race sorta plays a big part in the characters origins and where they’ve come from. Im
Sure I’ll get over it pretty quickly because those little concerns don’t really make a difference in the bigger picture of the story.

Like the poster above me posted. James Bond for example could be any colour or race because it doesn’t really matter for his character

Last edited:

BigBooper

Indifferent usually. When they suddenly make a character black or gay or deer for the sake of wokitude, it's disgusting. It's a sign of society giving up and celebrating retardation.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Playing a [label] card worsens double standards, it doesn't make them better. People are not as stupid as disingenuous hypocrites would like them to be.

It depends on scale and context.

Small productions, theatre shows, children's TV, anything that's not going for accurate portrayals of history, that's fine.

Anything with a decent budget and that is trying to be a serious work and portraying real people and events, then that really shouldn't be casting people who are completely different than what the role is meant to be. Black Anne Boleynn just looks laughably stupid.

The exception to this would be portrayals of real people, who are alive, and can choose who plays them. If a Japanese woman wants Scarlett Johansson to play her in a biopic, then that's who should be cast.

Fiction is tricky. Suspension of disbelief is a finicky thing to maintain, and so as such, having black people in medieval northern Europe, or a ginger in an 11th century Indian village, is going to just be distracting, reminding you you're watching a bunch of poncy actors running about playing pretend.

If you've got wizards running around with teleportation, dragons and demons though, then trying to keep to a basic grounding of 'people from a hot sunny places are darker skinned, while people from cold dark places are lighter skinned' helps, but isn't a deal breaker IMO.

Race swapping established characters, like many comic book adaptations do, seems completely arbitrary to me, but not anything I'm against on principle.

I just don't trust the reasoning behind the decisions to not be made out of racism. The weird anti ginger trend of making redheaded characters black, is certainly too consistent to not be deliberate, and born out of some form of malice and racial bias, for instance.

All of that is kind of moot though. The current fetishisation media types have for black people is driving most of the race swapping and race baiting casting decisions now, both out of hatred of white people and contempt for black people. It's pure virtue signalling, causing resentment and division and yes, it's inarguably hypocritical.

I will be writing an updated version of Shaka Zulu for the big screen...In the name of progressive ideas i have invited anyone of any race or ethnic background to try out for any role. This should go down good right?

Also to save money i will be filming and casting the entire thing over in the czech republic and hiring locals

Last edited:

Greedings

fictional characters? Don’t care.

historical figures? It’s retarded. This latest case is ridiculous. Why even bother havingperiod costumes and sets? Just put everyone in trainers and shoot it in the desert

Devonshire

Banned
This seems odd to me. It seems that if the person of history is white, then anybody of any race can play them. However, if that person from history is any other race beside white, then only a person of the same race can portray the individual.

Does that not seem wrong to you? It does to me because it is not treating everyone equally.

Aside from issues of representation, I think the point is that the talent pool for non-white actors is smaller than it should be and Hollywood needs to find more.

Ideally, when things are more "equal", no one will really care if a black actor plays a white character and vice versa. Hopefully that will quell the social media mobs and the need to attack even the slightest racial inequalities.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I mean, they are actors, they act. They act people of different race, gender, orientation, mental condition.

It is up to the director to determine the casting, judging how well they believe the actor can create the illusion of being the character.

A black Anne Boleyn probably doesn’t help in suspending disbelief as much as an autistic Dustin Hoffman did. Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs certainly hurt the immersion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom