• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you deal with noisy neighbors?

OZ9000

Banned
It's a duplex (i think that's how it's called in English). It's my house, i don't pay rent. But theres another duplex attached to one side. We share the same floors with a single wall separating us. Not sure if there's any insulation in that wall. But even if there is, it can't do anything with knocking sounds that travel through the building itself. Not sure if there's anything i could do to my side of the building to improve this.
Is this a set of 2 properties which share a cavity wall i.e. a semi detached house?

Reactions: Gp1

nkarafo

That's just something that comes with apartment life. Let it motivate you to own a house.

Problem is, this is not an apartment and it's my own house.

Is this a set of 2 properties which share a cavity wall i.e. a semi detached house?

It's something of this style:

9oK3w4e.jpg

And the funny thing is mine is on the one of the end sides. My parents back in the day specifically chose that so we can have only one house attached. I imagine the others in the middle have it worse. I need to ask the person living on the other side of my neighbor's house since he has to deal with the same family and whoever lives on the other side.

Last edited:
As for sleeping wear earplugs. Stick em in your ear and not your anus.
I think there are construction noise solutions like foam on the wall, special sound absorbent paint etc. Google it bro.

nkarafo

How far apart is your house from theirs?

See above, i edited my post.

As for sleeping wear earplugs. Stick em in your ear and not your anus.
I think there are construction noise solutions like foam on the wall, special sound absorbent paint etc. Google it bro.

I do use foam earplugs but they are painful if you wear them all day. Plus, i don't like the solution of becoming deaf. I still like to hear my own stuff. Guess i'm asking for too much here. I grew up in a single detached house and never had to deal with stuff like this. And it's only the last few years that i realize how bad this kind of shared life is. Those kids didn't exist before that.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
See above, i edited my post.

I do use foam earplugs but they are painful if you wear them all day. Plus, i don't like the solution of becoming deaf. I still like to hear my own stuff. Guess i'm asking for too much here. I grew up in a single detached house and never had to deal with stuff like this. And it's only the last few years that i realize how bad this kind of shared life is. Those kids didn't exist before that.

Stop It Mark Duplass GIF by Tully Movie

And I do mean this with all respect. They are kids, this is during the day, and you are making mountains out of molehills. This is not an issue in any way, shape, or form and you are coming across as very entitled and petty.

If you struggle to focus at work because of a few bumps nad noises, then get some comfy noise cancelling earphones to wear while you work. Most come with mics if you need to chat with folks over skype or other kind of similar video/voice service.

lifa-cobex

Other than talking to them, your options are move or hope they move.

Dealing with noisy neighbors is a fucking nightmare.
I've been lucky this past 3 odd years with that kinda shit but for the previous 5 years is had to deal with obnoxious bastards.
From parties all night to screaming matches in the day. I went from asking them politely to screaming in their face.
It was one part of why I ended a 10 year relationship. It was the tipping point for me and I just had to escape.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Other than talking to them, your options are move or hope they move.

Dealing with noisy neighbors is a fucking nightmare.
I've been lucky this past 3 odd years with that kinda shit but for the previous 5 years is had to deal with obnoxious bastards.
From parties all night to screaming matches in the day. I went from asking them politely to screaming in their face.
It was one part of why I ended a 10 year relationship. It was the tipping point for me and I just had to escape.

There is a world of difference between late night parties/screaming matches during the day and... kids playing during the day.

And I do mean this with all respect. They are kids, this is during the day, and you are making mountains out of molehills. This is not an issue in any way, shape, or form and you are coming across as very entitled and petty.

If you struggle to focus at work because of a few bumps nad noises, then get some comfy noise cancelling earphones to wear while you work. Most come with mics if you need to chat with folks over skype or other kind of similar video/voice service.
That doesn’t sound very respectful at all. Here’s a little free feedback for you: you frequently come across as extremely condescending. Kids running around all day will get on anyone’s nerves, no need to be so haughty when someone is venting about one of their life’s little annoyances. It’s reasonable to expect some level of peace in your own home, and understandable to be annoyed when it is constantly disturbed.

daffyduck

There’s also a difference between kids playing inside with outdoor shoes vs slippers. Don’t get me wrong, he took his chances by purchasing an attached house, but ”it’s just kids“ can’t be an excuse for everything.

Kenpachii

Learn to sleep on your back, have hypercloud 2 noisecanceling headphones, put on some chill music and get some sleeping pills from your doctor, a airplane can crash next door and you will still be sleeping through it. once u get used towards it cut the sleeping pills.

I spend 3 weeks in a hospital with 3 other people making noise + tons of sound everywhere, and i slept like a baby this way.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That doesn’t sound very respectful at all. Here’s a little free feedback for you: you frequently come across as extremely condescending. Kids running around all day will get on anyone’s nerves, no need to be so haughty when someone is venting about one of their life’s little annoyances. It’s reasonable to expect some level of peace in your own home, and understandable to be annoyed when it is constantly disturbed.

Sure Jan GIF

I live with noisy neighbors who have kids too. I am just not so entitled to think that it should be quiet during the day time when they are playing. To repeat what I just stated:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Thy have 3 kids and they run around the house most of the day. I only have peace during their night sleep.

The problem isn't their screams, it's the constant "tok-tok" sound of their shoes hitting the parquet (because their whole house is covered with ir, even the stairs) which travels through the floors and walls. So, it's impossible to insulate.

What are my options here besides abandoning my home or wearing earplugs? I tried covering them with some music but it has to be loud.

I'm just wondering how others deal with such an issue. Homes that are attached to other homes is the worst human invention ever.

I never suggested that. But you continue to argue.

Sure Jan GIF

Also, I gave you an option.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I once had a couple of wild neighbors that would fuck all day and all night long. Especially on weekends. I was too embarassed to talk to them, so I had to learn how to tune them off with my brain.

That continued for the longest time, at least a year.

mitch1971

Learn to sleep on your back, have hypercloud 2 noisecanceling headphones, put on some chill music and get some sleeping pills from your doctor, an airplane can crash next door and you will still be sleeping through it. once u get used towards it cut the sleeping pills.
Hey! That might solve his problem. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just want to say I feel you OP. I've been in similar situations (and worse!) so many times. People don't understand unless they are in a similar situation themselves and when you've been annoyed for an extended period of time then it gets far more grating on the nerves.

As for actual solutions, you have 2 options:
1. Move. Talking to them will not help. If anything they could get spiteful and make it worse.
2. Try to learn to deal with it as best you can. Have some soft background music playing during the day, the TV on at a low volume, just something to try to take your mind off things. Sleep with the ceiling fan on. Give it a month and see how you feel. If you feel yourself miserable every day then start working towards moving.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Hey kids stop being kids...
Hey parents make your kids stop being kids...

You know, people could teach their kids some fookin' manners for fuck's sake, the "kids being kids" is not an excuse, what next ? "Dogs are dogs" if your canine won't stop barking at all hours ?
"Bikes are bikes" if you got a 1200cc V2 motorcycle ?
"Well, I'm a musician" if you want to drum /strum on your your guitar 24/7 ?
What about if you wear dr.scholls inside your house 24/7 ? What's the excuse ? that they're anatomic and that they're good for your feet so everyone else (your neighbors) have to suffer ?

When will people fucking understand that everything has to do with basic human decency ? The usual "they're just kids" /"it's a dog ! "/insert noise excuse here doesn't cut it, they're just that - excuses - to a known problem.

In the meantime, try to be normal human beings, try to subside your egos, teach some good values and manners to your offspring/dogs and stop trying to be above it all, people have a problem for a good reason, a house is a sacred place, a place which should provide comfort and quietness, no one should care about his neighbour's spoiled brats/constant dog barking or what have you, just like you think that you have the right to have noises emanating from your residence just 'cause "kids" or "dogs" all the time, the same goes for your neighbors having the right to have some peace and quiet in their own home.

The sooner people understand that, the better the neighbor relations will get - who are we kidding though, am I right ? Most people think that they're the only ones having the right to do whatever they want - excluding all the others in vicinity of course.
Had a neighbor once which would barbecue each fucking day and also had a dog which wouldn't stop barking all day long and yet...motherfucking troglodyte would have a problem with a girl playing the piano 1 building away where the sound was only audible during the Summer months (open windows) and she would usually play 1 time a week...
THESE are the same people that will tell you to fuck off and present you with the holier than thou "buT theY're just kiDs" excuse.

No respect , no human decency whatsoever unfortunately.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Pffft, four of these set up with a Pioneer amp and a more than sufficient bass tube normally settles disputes with my one neighbour

aSBGUbt.jpg

...Glad i'm on the end house.

mxbison

Move to a country where people don't wear shoes indoors.

Seriously though, not much you can do I guess. You can still talk to the parents so they are atleast aware of it. Maybe they'll tell their kids to keep down the noise a bit.

Toots

Gold Member
Seduce the mom, make her leave her husband and move in with you, and then make love to her everytime you hear the kids playing next door.
You'll have peace, and a nice warm spot in hell waiting for you ;)

Griffon

Had a similar issue during lockdown, I bought noise cancelling cans. It worked nicely and I could work again.

See if you can get some Bose QC45 or Sony WH-1000XM5.

Last edited:
I kind of feel your pain, OP.

I have a downstairs neighbor who walks around like an elephant. I can picture his entire walking routine when he is moving around the house.
He also sometimes has his kids over who run around the house in the early evening but that is mostly happening 1 time in 2-3 weeks tops.

Still. I am glad I live above this dude. I can not imagine living under such a person who literally stomps around his living space.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You know, people could teach their kids some fookin' manners for fuck's sake, the "kids being kids" is not an excuse, what next ? "Dogs are dogs" if your canine won't stop barking at all hours ?
"Bikes are bikes" if you got a 1200cc V2 motorcycle ?
"Well, I'm a musician" if you want to drum /strum on your your guitar 24/7 ?
What about if you wear dr.scholls inside your house 24/7 ? What's the excuse ? that they're anatomic and that they're good for your feet so everyone else (your neighbors) have to suffer ?

When will people fucking understand that everything has to do with basic human decency ? The usual "they're just kids" /"it's a dog ! "/insert noise excuse here doesn't cut it, they're just that - excuses - to a known problem.

In the meantime, try to be normal human beings, try to subside your egos, teach some good values and manners to your offspring/dogs and stop trying to be above it all, people have a problem for a good reason, a house is a sacred place, a place which should provide comfort and quietness, no one should care about his neighbour's spoiled brats/constant dog barking or what have you, just like you think that you have the right to have noises emanating from your residence just 'cause "kids" or "dogs" all the time, the same goes for your neighbors having the right to have some peace and quiet in their own home.

The sooner people understand that, the better the neighbor relations will get - who are we kidding though, am I right ? Most people think that they're the only ones having the right to do whatever they want - excluding all the others in vicinity of course.
Had a neighbor once which would barbecue each fucking day and also had a dog which wouldn't stop barking all day long and yet...motherfucking troglodyte would have a problem with a girl playing the piano 1 building away where the sound was only audible during the Summer months (open windows) and she would usually play 1 time a week...
THESE are the same people that will tell you to fuck off and present you with the holier than thou "buT theY're just kiDs" excuse.

No respect , no human decency whatsoever unfortunately.
Bruh, young children aren’t dogs and it sounds like OP’s neighbors are quiet during normal quiet hours, and the problem is their shoes/flooring situation.

I’m extremely conscious of how my kids can annoy others when they’re with me on planes or in stores or whatever, and do everything I can to keep them well behaved, but at some point “human decency” goes both ways and people realize that even when parents are doing their best to corral children they can’t get it 100% every time and have some tolerance for it.

If you live somewhere with shared walls though? Good luck, it’s a game of roulette, wait until the kids grow up a bit or find somewhere else to live. I’ve had to complain about rats in the apartment, call the cops on a guy beating up his girlfriend at 2AM, and bang on a door to tell some college kids to keep it down before. None of those situations involved kids. My solution was to keep working my way up professionally so I could afford a place without shared walls, and I did.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Bruh, young children aren’t dogs and it sounds like OP’s neighbors are quiet during normal quiet hours, and the problem is their shoes/flooring situation.

I’m extremely conscious of how my kids can annoy others when they’re with me on planes or in stores or whatever, and do everything I can to keep them well behaved, but at some point “human decency” goes both ways and people realize that even when parents are doing their best to corral children they can’t get it 100% every time and have some tolerance for it.

If you live somewhere with shared walls though? Good luck, it’s a game of roulette, wait until the kids grow up a bit or find somewhere else to live. I’ve had to complain about rats in the apartment, call the cops on a guy beating up his girlfriend at 2AM, and bang on a door to tell some college kids to keep it down before. None of those situations involved kids. My solution was to keep working my way up professionally so I could afford a place without shared walls, and I did.

Perfectly fine response friend, you worded your thoughts extremely decently, don't have a problem with that and I also agree.
You're one of the "good ones" and you apparently "get it"...

Having said that, my reply wasn't exclusively about children but being noisy and/or annoying to others in general , hence the "being a decent human being" thing and the example with one of my ex neighbors (which was one of "those" types that just don't get it).

Cheers

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Bang the wife, they divorce, move out, new neighbors come in, if they're loud, repeat process.

don't do this

Last edited:
I'm on the other side of this.

My wife and child are outside most of the day and I work from home, quiet as a mouse. The people in the upstairs flat scream at each other and swear at their kid to the extent that I once nearly called the police. Also, the husband practices the drums in the evenings lmao.

Yesterday they put a note through our door asking us to stop shouting at each other and slamming doors (I haven't raised my voice in 20 years) with a threat to call management if not.

Talk about projection...

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Problem is, this is not an apartment and it's my own house.

It's something of this style:

9oK3w4e.jpg

And the funny thing is mine is on the one of the end sides. My parents back in the day specifically chose that so we can have only one house attached. I imagine the others in the middle have it worse. I need to ask the person living on the other side of my neighbor's house since he has to deal with the same family and whoever lives on the other side.
Look on the bright side; at least you life in Arafo, and not in Añaza or Ofra sin ley :D

Top Bottom