• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about reproduction games?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
What do you think about the retro reproduction games? Normally, I prefer getting the original games, which is no problem as I have a Japanese Saturn and many Japanese games are very cheap. But with some story driven games, buying an English version would be the better choice.

By coincidence I found out that etsy offers lots of Saturn reproduction games I would be interested in.

PS: I know in theory I could also just burn my own games if I am into reproductions, but I do have to equipment of doing it, and besides that the covers of the etsy games look very nice. They have some artistic value for myself so I am willing to assist this people.

Do you have some experience with the repro games already and would you recommend going for it or rather not?

I mean the only ones that really care are HC collectors. Repo gets you the original content in original casing. I get the collecting mindset but i also find it ridiculous someone would buy a game for $500 and never play it..just kind of slip it in between the other 300 titles.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fake shit
Might as well pirate.

or just buy a decent flashcard for cartridge based systems. Krikkz makes some decent ones. Or get build yoursef a MiSTer. (FPGA based)

i have a system that i will never pay more for a game then the original msrp. (60 euros or so for zelda 4 sword gamecube for example)
not paying 500 for that one game on ebay. To some fat bastard. not helping the devs at all ever.

whenever a game becomes available digital legaly i still get it anyway.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
I prefer originals, but if it's something that's not available from primary sources I have no problem with repros. I prefer to keep them as legit as possible, though - for example, my translated English version of Tengai Makyou Zero is made from an original Japanese cart of the game.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Just use a flash card and, if you are a collector, buy the games you really want. Do not spend hundreds (sometimes thousands ) of dollars just to have something you will never, very likely, touch. There is a trend going on in the retro community with prices skyrocketing... Even for games that aren't that rare or interesting. Also, there are a lot of companies trying to surf on this trend offering poor quality/unlicensed reproductions. In my case, what I do is to only buy what I am really interested in playing (like it would be back then - original or licensed products) and after I have a physical copy of it I would just use a flash card due to it being more practical.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I could see a repro of a domestically released game, or a version already in English, being worthless. Like if someone built a repro of, say, Phantasy Star IV, because they couldn't find it cheap enough... yeah, that's worthless to me.

But games never released in the form you own it in? Like Starfox 2 or an English Secret of Mana 2? That definitely not worthless to me, as the big reason I collect isn't to simply own them, but to experience the game on real hardware.

And, just food for thought - how many reproduction carts of games like Starfox 2 do you think there could be out there? Probably less than 1000, I'd assume. Anyone want to weigh in on that?

I also think SNES repros have more lasting value since there are multiple levels involved normally: the mask rom, finding a proper donor cart, wiring up funky stuff to get everything going correctly. Conversely, the only thing involved in Genesis repros from what I've heard is burning the replacement EEPROM, de-soldering the old one, and soldering the EEPROM on.

Ikutachi

I make do with a flash cart if I'm playing on original hardware.

For the Saturn, you can check this out.

I hate repros. They flood the market and take advantage of ignorant people by dishonest sellers. Some of the fakes have gotten pretty decent. It makes me have to spend so much time checking for authenticity on old, expensive games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
By reproduction you mean straight up bootlegs, right? Because they're just DVD's some guy burned in his rec room.

anti repros. theres a reason why original authentic hardware is sought after and valued

if you support repros you might as well be bending the knee to China

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Only one I played was the Jenna Jameson one and I just spent all my time massaging the black guy's nipples with cucumbers and laughing like a right luna- oh.

I'll be leaving now.

Naked Lunch

I bought a repro of GBA Fire Emblem for $10. Someone stole my real cart years ago.
I aint paying $100+ for the real cart.
- but this was before I knew about flashcarts.

Fbh

I thought this thread would be about:
220px-Conception_~Ore_no_Kodomo_wo_Undekure%21~.png

Seriously though. I'm not too familiar with this concept, but from your description it just sounds like fancy pirated copies? So I don't really see the point.
It doesn't have collectors value since it isn't a legit copy, and if you just want to play the game and don't care about piracy then just download a rom and burn it yourself

Top Bottom