• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you game with your family?

hxcmuziq

Banned

What are your favorite games to play with your kids / parents / siblings / lovers?

I recently had to move away from my kids for work. Gaming is one of the few things I can still regularly do with them. It makes me really glad the ps4 has a share play feature, it allows me to play Lego games with my youngest. I got PS Now while it was on sale for $40 and love how many ps3 family friendly games have online co-op. I'm replaying Ratchet and Clank all 4 one with my kids and gf.

I wanted to make this thread about gaming together remotely, but I'm interested in everyone's experience in gaming with their families.

I want to know how other systems (xbox, switch, pc) handle playing remotely together. What am I missing out on? Tell me about your favorite features.

Writing this is somehow making me nostalgic for tetris and contra marathons with my parents / sister on the nes.

Dark Star

The only game my whole family can really enjoy is Monopoly Deal. Best card game IMO.

PS4? My sisters aren’t very good at using the controller, so we usually play walking simulator stuff or easy games like Until Dawn or Detroit Become Human.

My nephew really enjoys Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman, Arkham Asylum, and racing games likes Burnout Paradise or Drive Club.

Too bad very few modern games are couch coop split screen 2 player. I’m going to have to get THPS remake soon. My sisters also quickly lost interest in Mortal Kombat and Harry Potter collection, which is a shame because those are nice games that I play with my friends all the time.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Wish I could but I don't. Some of them think video games are uniquely bad among all forms of media for undefined reasons. Though they'll play the worst tier of games, freemium mobile ones. Used to play together growing up but now I hear things like "Can you imagine playing games in your 30s?" "I wouldn't date a guy who games". That's as stupid as me saying I wouldn't date someone who watches movies.

I did try to trojan horse some of them with Ring Fit Adventure and they seem interested.

Last edited:

Fbh

My family isn't into gaming.
The only games they've enjoyed playing with me are those interactive movie ones like Until Dawn when we are making decisions together and all that.

My mom also played, beat and loved Journey (with a bit of help from me on some of the slightly tricky parts) which will forever make it one of my favorite games.

hxcmuziq

Banned
My family isn't into gaming.
The only games they've enjoyed playing with me are those interactive movie ones like Until Dawn when we are making decisions together and all that.

My mom also played, beat and loved Journey (with a bit of help from me on some of the slightly tricky parts) which will forever make it one of my favorite games.
My son who is 11 now watched my play Journey when he was around 3. The soundtrack made him cry. I so looked forward to him playing it himself, but now he won't because it's not Fortnite. Fucking kids man.

The only game my whole family can really enjoy is Monopoly Deal. Best card game IMO.

PS4? My sisters aren’t very good at using the controller, so we usually play walking simulator stuff or easy games like Until Dawn or Detroit Become Human.

My nephew really enjoys Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman, Arkham Asylum, and racing games likes Burnout Paradise or Drive Club.

Too bad very few modern games are couch coop split screen 2 player. I’m going to have to get THPS remake soon. My sisters also quickly lost interest in Mortal Kombat and Harry Potter collection, which is a shame because those are nice games that I play with my friends all the time.
The only reason I don't have THPS yet is I refuse to buy any games full price, my backlog is too big, but I can not wait to play it with my boys, I hope they love it as much as I did.

No one in my family likes gaming. Forever alone.
I'll play Lego games with you if you have a ps4

Wish I could but I don't. Some of them think video games are uniquely bad among all forms of media for undefined reasons. Though they'll play the worst tier of games, freemium mobile ones. Used to play together growing up but now I hear things like "Can you imagine playing games in your 30s?" "I wouldn't date a guy who games". That's as stupid as me saying I wouldn't date someone who watches movies.

I did try to trojan horse some of them with Ring Fit Adventure and they seem interested.
I was able to get my low IQ in laws to play some games through Kinect and Wii. They were always bitching because my kids would rather play games than watch football. Personally I think watching sports is the lowest IQ thing one can do. (No offense!)Personally, I can not be entertained passively. I can hardly watch movies without falling asleep.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I have three girls in our house and I introduced to them the glory of the Yakuza series.

They finished Yakuza 0 and Kiwami and I’m planning to buy Kiwami 2 for them to play.

The rest of the time, they’re either playing GTA Online or Fall Guys. We all take turns playing while the others are watching

For my mother, I guess she only plays mobile games herself but she does egg me on to play Vanquish a lot. She said it’s nice that all my enemies are just robots so no blood spilled.

My father is an RTS nerd and a big fan of Diablo 2. He mostly plays old school RTS like Red Alert 2, Age of Mythology and Age of Empires. We have two laptops so we play coop if he’s not busy with work.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I was able to get my low IQ in laws to play some games through Kinect and Wii. They were always bitching because my kids would rather play games than watch football. Personally I think watching sports is the lowest IQ thing one can do. (No offense!)Personally, I can not be entertained passively. I can hardly watch movies without falling asleep.

"Video games make you violent!"
*watches murder mysteries all day, falls asleep listening to murder podcasts*

Hypocrisy is not their strong suit, what can I say

hxcmuziq

Banned
I have three girls in our house and I introduced to them the glory of the Yakuza series.

They finished Yakuza 0 and Kiwami and I’m planning to buy Kiwami 2 for them to play.

The rest of the time, they’re either playing GTA Online or Fall Guys. We all take turns playing while the others are watching

For my mother, I guess she only plays mobile games herself but she does egg me on to play Vanquish a lot. She said it’s nice that all my enemies are just robots so no blood spilled.

My father is an RTS nerd and a big fan of Diablo 2. He mostly plays old school RTS like Red Alert 2, Age of Mythology and Age of Empires. We have two laptops so we play coop if he’s not busy with work.
I hope they're older, My 11 year old has been begging to play GTA, and even share played it off a friend when I told him no. It's the last forbidden fruit. He even played TLOU2, because him mom bought it for him, because I don't buy game full price. I would not have let him play.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
I think I've played more games with my cousins than my actual family. :messenger_confused:

I once tried getting them into Monopoly & Chess but it never went anywhere.

My cousins though had NES, PS1, Gameboy Advance & Original Xbox. I was sooo jealous everytime I went to their house.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I hope they're older, My 11 year old has been begging to play GTA, and even share played it off a friend when I told him no. It's the last forbidden fruit. He even played TLOU2, because him mom bought it for him, because I don't buy game full price. I would not have let him play.
Oh they’re either 18 or over 18 or else I wouldn’t allow them to play it.

Meowzers

My 6yr old nephew plays on my Xbox X console with me, until I get his mum to buy it for him as a Xmas present and I get a Series X. We seem to play mostly Streets of Rage 4 and Battletoads. Tried him on Breakpoint and Red Dead 2, but he's still better at side-scrollers. He still wonders why Blood, Bullets and Bananas isn't a 2P game. It really should be!

V4skunk

Banned
Just online with my dad and brother a few times a month.
Warthunder on PC only though when I play with dad, he is 63.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My mother had a DS Lite that I talked her into getting. Once it died she she never replaced it. I had gotten her Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and she seemed to enjoy it. What’s weird is my mother’s interests in video games. She would play SNES when I went to school. I had a TV in my room as a kid, so she’d play it before picking me up from school. Then years later she would use it against me. She would say a very negative comment and then months later tell me that she’d like to play again. I remember one time I took her to her job and she told me “you’ve done that gaming thing for too long”. It got me down because here I am excited about gaming in my mind. I don’t ask her about the video games she plays at all. She soured the whole mother and son game thing. I know she plays stuff on her phone though. My sister doesn’t like fiction at all. She hates video games, so she’s not someone to talk to about them. Even as a kid she never played her Game Boy. My dad bought me consoles, but he never played. He was from an older generation though. They mainly think it’s for kids. The people my sister and mom married put games and gamers down pretty hard, so it’s not really a good thing. I’ve gotten to that point where it’s not even worth bringing up. We don’t talk anyway, so it’s not like it’s an option. I’ve already done the mental therapy for this stuff and lol they are very dysfunctional.

I’m happy that my current family enjoys games. My spouse loves Horizon and she finished Ghost of Tsushima. I got her to play more and try newer games. She’s playing Avengers. We do co-op with classic side scrollers and we played through Diablo III together. I had already played a ton, but I wanted her to play it. It sucks when women only have bad memories of ex’s playing games. They know about the games, but they can’t mention it without mentioning their ex. I want her to have experience and some fond memories.

My kid plays my Switch, she plays a ton of Roblox, and her own tablet. We’ve had to ground her several times because that is all she wants to do. I just bought her Animal Crossing and honestly that’s all she wants. We explain to her why, but kids are still kids.

Honestly, gaming with family will never be 1:1 on par with what you imagine it to be. I also can’t be as excited as I am sometimes about games in front of family. It most always is read the wrong way. I’m glad I married a gamer versus a non-gamer though. I didn’t want to quit because of some stupid spousal idea of what the form of entertainment is like.

Last edited:

hxcmuziq

Banned
My mother had a DS Lite that I talked her into getting. Once it died she she never replaced it. I had gotten her Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and she seemed to enjoy it. What’s weird is my mother’s interests in video games. She would play SNES when I went to school. I had a TV in my room as a kid, so she’d play it before picking me up from school. Then years later she would use it against me. She would say a very negative comment and then months later tell me that she’d like to play again. I remember one time I took her to her job and she told me “you’ve done that gaming thing for too long”. It got me down because here I am excited about gaming in my mind. I don’t ask her about the video games she plays at all. She soured the whole mother and son game thing. I know she plays stuff on her phone though. My sister doesn’t like fiction at all. She hates video games, so she’s not someone to talk to about them. Even as a kid she never played her Game Boy. My dad bought me consoles, but he never played. He was from an older generation though. They mainly think it’s for kids. The people my sister and mom married put games and gamers down pretty hard, so it’s not really a good thing. I’ve gotten to that point where it’s not even worth bringing up. We don’t talk anyway, so it’s not like it’s an option. I’ve already done the mental therapy for this stuff and lol they are very dysfunctional.

I’m happy that my current family enjoys games. My spouse loves Horizon and she finished Ghost of Tsushima. I got her to play more and try newer games. She’s playing Avengers. We do co-op with classic side scrollers and we played through Diablo III together. I had already played a ton, but I wanted her to play it. It sucks when women only have bad memories of ex’s playing games. They know about the games, but they can’t mention it without mentioning their ex. I want her to have experience and some fond memories.

My kid plays my Switch, she plays a ton of Roblox, and her own tablet. We’ve had to ground her several times because that is all she wants to do. I just bought her Animal Crossing and honestly that’s all she wants. We explain to her why, but kids are still kids.

Honestly, gaming with family will never be 1:1 on par with what you imagine it to be. I also can’t be as excited as I am sometimes about games in front of family. It most always is read the wrong way. I’m glad I married a gamer versus a non-gamer though. I didn’t want to quit because of some stupid spousal idea of what the form of entertainment is like.
It sounds like the good luck you had finding a gamer girl makes up for the shit you had to deal with about games growing up.

My gf's favorite game is Horizon. She's a curly haired ginger, so she thinks Aloy is her spirit animal.

How does she like avengers? My 6 year old loved the demo but some parts were kinda tough for him. I'm hoping the price will drop by the holidays.

Last edited:

OldManNoob

Neo Member
As a family my two boys and I play Minecraft split screen and Mario Kart. Other times I play Fortnite and Minecraft dungeons on the switch with my oldest son.

hxcmuziq

Banned
That's cool that your dad still games. I can't get my parents to anymore, even though they kicked my ass at my own games when I was a kid. All they play now is Pokémon go, which I won't touch.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It sounds like the good luck you had finding a gamer girl makes up for the shit you had to deal with about games growing up.

Yea, thanks. My wife even says I’m lucky that she likes them so much. My gf's favorite game is Horizon. She's a curly haired ginger, so she thinks Aloy is her spirit animal.

How does she like avengers? My 6 year old loved the demo but some parts were kinda tough for him. I'm hoping the price will drop by the holidays.
She thought it was hard to get into at first. She kept looking at her phone during the first hour. It got better once the game opened up. She likes it more now than she did. That first hour or two is very cheesy. My daughter is the same age and she can’t wait to play it. She loves my Black Widow mini-PoP figurine. The day we were going to play it together she had to go to her dad’s. She was super down about that. Just my luck she gets into some major trouble with them when she returned. We still haven’t played it together. What’s funny is my wife is also a red head, but not natural. lol I think the same way.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

First off I game 🎮 mostly alone on a PS4.

Wife likes 80s arcade games like Mrs Pac-Man. Daughter loves PSVR like beat saber.

teezzy

Banned
My family sucks ass dude

I have an older cousin who I grew up gaming with but now he's in his late 30s and lives with his mom and dad still. Pretty sure hes either gay or a virgin too. Maybe both. We dont talk much.

My wife and I actually met playing D&D and play a lot of COD and 7 days to die together recently. My oldest (17) daughter and my wife run a WOW guild together so that takes up a lot of their times. My other 4 play a pretty wide variety of games but my youngest got ahold of my 3ds not long ago and has become a giant fan of the cooking momma games. We've also been running a family tabletop night on sundays and are currently playing a Mutants and Masterminds campaign.

TLDR: We are an incredibly geeky family and gaming is a pretty core activity that we love doing together.

Codes 208

I just got done playing smash bros online with my sister and some friends. We play on Nintendo but chat on either the xbox app or discord

Hakiroto

I play games on my PC or PlayStation 4 Pro while my wife plays my Switch (recently, she's been playing Two Point Hospital). That's pretty much how it goes these days. I used to play quite a lot online with my brother but he only has an Xbox these days so we're limited to cross-play games like Warzone. I'm looking forward to Apex Legends finally getting cross-play as we both enjoy that.

Oh, finally... my wife and I have played together a bit and the most recent game was Overcooked. Whew, that's a real test of relationship strength.

Falcs

Banned
No one in my family likes gaming. Forever alone.

d99.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I have kids so I am often playing "dad tells the kids to share or games get taken away entirely".

But seriously, we do get a lot of opportunities to play. Last night my son asked if we could play 1v1 CoD4 MW on the PS3. I let him pick the map and we had a great time. My daughter loves Rhythm Heaven and Hatsune Miku so I got her hooked on DDR. Now she's always asking me to play a few rounds (can't remember the last time we played fewer than 10 songs in a session, though). We don't orbit around specific games. Instead, I try to find common ground w them and introduce them to fun games without worrying if they pick them up or not.

Sometimes they play stuff like Stardew Valley, Little Big Planet, or Animal Crossing and I just watch, spending time hanging out with them. I remember my parents never really cared about the games I was into so even if I'm not playing w them, I figure that being in the room and hanging out is probably a nice gesture.

My wife and I have played games since we met. We got into Minecraft on PC and bought a PS3 and a Wii together, and we also built a decent boardgame collection together. So, the gaming we spend with our kids is an extension of a habit we both enjoyed/enjoy.

hxcmuziq

Banned
That's cool that your dad still games. I can't get my parents to anymore, even though they kicked my ass at my own games when I was a kid. All they play now is Pokémon go, which I won't touch.

poodaddy

What are your favorite games to play with your kids / parents / siblings / lovers?

I recently had to move away from my kids for work. Gaming is one of the few things I can still regularly do with them. It makes me really glad the ps4 has a share play feature, it allows me to play Lego games with my youngest. I got PS Now while it was on sale for $40 and love how many ps3 family friendly games have online co-op. I'm replaying Ratchet and Clank all 4 one with my kids and gf.

I wanted to make this thread about gaming together remotely, but I'm interested in everyone's experience in gaming with their families.

I want to know how other systems (xbox, switch, pc) handle playing remotely together. What am I missing out on? Tell me about your favorite features.

Writing this is somehow making me nostalgic for tetris and contra marathons with my parents / sister on the nes.
I'm sorry to hear about you not being able to be around your kids brother, seriously. I know it makes me sound weak or whatever, but goddamn I don't think I could do it, so I have immense respect for people when I hear they had to move away from their kids for work; that just takes an incredible amount of strength that I simply don't possess. When my wife was away for basic training about six months back I felt like I was losing my mind, got incredibly depressed, but if my daughter wasn't here? Oh my god it would have been VASTLY worse lol, I would have been completely wrecked, so hats off to you.

On topic: My daughter likes the silliest games imaginable, that's her thing. Think of the silliest game you can imagine, that's her jam. Games like Undercooked, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Minecraft, Roblox, Goat Simulator, and Grounded are her jam. Now those aren't exactly my thing, but she also loves Rayman Legends, a game I personally think is one of the best platformers of all time, so I'll definitely play the hell out of that game and Lego games with her. She also loves Streets of Rogue, which is just an unbelievably fun game on co-op, though it feels like we're always babysitting my wife when we play lol. Beat em ups are a given as well, but kids have to play on low difficulties as they generally can't play those games on hard difficulties. Oh and racing games, Mario Kart is the obvious fun button when you're playing with the kids.

I hope you get to enjoy some game time with your kids brother, and I hope this time away from them flies by so you can be back with them soon.

Top Bottom