• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you go about picking your Game Pass games to play?

Dory16

Banned
The weekend is about to start and even though I haven't bought a game in I don't know how long, I have an unthinkable number of new games to play on Game Pass, as all members know.
I tend to take a long time to finish games. I still haven't completed the Witcher 3 which I got on sale before it came to GP, Jedi Fallen Order or AC:Odyssey which I got as Xmas gifts.
I partially blame GP for this. I will often be in the middle of completing a game that I have paid a lot of money for and get a notification that PES2020 is now on Game Pass. Or Life is strange 2 episode X. Or the Outer Worlds. And I'll drop everything to go and get a taste and never come back to a game I've invested some serious time into.

How do you guys approach your game pass backlog? I have to admit that the categorization is far from Netflix like, even though the offer itself is. Just focusing on the "recently added" section and playing everything you like as it gets added, or do you go gem hunting through the other sections, or is there any other methodical approach that I could use to maximise the value of this service?

Thanks

stitch1

I try to limit how many games I am playing at any one time. Recently I finished The Wicher 3. However, while playing it I would only allow myself to play shorter indie games like Oxenfree and Inside. That was a way that I could focus on Witcher but still allow myself some breaks so that I didnt get burnt out.

Now that I completed Witcher I am working on my back catalog as Witcher took me quite a while to complete. I am playing through Hellblade currently and will start on The Outer Worlds once I have completed that.

I guess I mostly just prioritize based on my desire to play but set boundaries so that I don't get too distracted.

Often I'll look for sequels to games I liked but failing that I'll watch a trailer when the boxart catches my eye out if I've heard good things about it.

Just based on what looks interesting. Games I would have never bought but I heard about are usually first on the list like Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Celeste.

Pantz

Gold Member
Usually when there's a game I was waiting on a sale to get and it show's up on Game Pass. Feels good to download and play those.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Game Pass PC client has a built in "choose a random game for me to play" option.

GbmW0hA.png

This user has been removed from the thread. If you have no interest in Gamepass, then stay out of a thread where a question is centered around those who are subscribers. Use the "ignore thread" feature.
Why would you even pay for gamepass when you can get free game on the Epic games store? ... and you get to keep them even if you never pay at all.

I mean, if we are to push for an alternative game store that has less features than Steam, why should we pick the one with recurring fees? especially since most of the games on it are worth less than the price of one month of service.

I think you guys aren't trying hard enough, we should have at least 5 Game Pass threads per day.

kiphalfton

Most the stuff on PC game pass sucks, so that helps narrow it down. From there I check how long it takes to beat (shorter is ideal) and then see what the general consensus was of the game.

Also one thing I have to keep in mind with free stuff is, would I pay money for this game. May be free, but only have so much time in a day, and dont want to waste it playing a game that isnt worth that time invested.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Why would you even pay for gamepass when you can get free game on the Epic games store? ... and you get to keep them even if you never pay at all.

I mean, if we are to push for an alternative game store that has less features than Steam, why should we pick the one with recurring fees? especially since most of the games on it are worth less than the price of one month of service.

I think you guys aren't trying hard enough, we should have at least 5 Game Pass threads per day.
You’re the first person I hear saying that GP isn’t the best value in gaming. I was thinking “interesting take, I should look into the epic game store”, then you complained about the number of game pass threads. There really aren’t that many. Mine is the only one on the first page right now. There goes my respect for your opinion but thanks for contributing.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I currently do a podcast where we alternate between picking something we think looks interesting and then the other times spin the randomizer on PC.

Mista

Banned
Its mostly games I wanna play but was hesitant to pay the full price. Game pass got a great library and the additions are always great

You’re the first person I hear saying that GP isn’t the best value in gaming. I was thinking “interesting take, I should look into the epic game store”, then you complained about the number of game pass threads. There really aren’t that many. Mine is the only one on the first page right now. There goes my respect for your opinion but thanks for contributing.
Don’t know why you even wasted your time to respond on such bullshit

Animagic

Banned
I finally canceled my gamepass. While I enjoyed my time with it, and exploring games I otherwise wouldn’t have tried, I wasn’t playing any of the games there enough to justify keeping it. My favorite games I discovered there were Grip Combat Racing, Agents of Mayhem, and Ruiner.

and to answer OP’s question, I saw a game in the list and would look it up on YouTube to see if I would like it or not.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

Pro Tip:

G9IUipe.png

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I finally canceled my gamepass. While I enjoyed my time with it, and exploring games I otherwise wouldn’t have tried, I wasn’t playing any of the games there enough to justify keeping it. My favorite games I discovered there were Grip Combat Racing, Agents of Mayhem, and Ruiner.

and to answer OP’s question, I saw a game in the list and would look it up on YouTube to see if I would like it or not.
Me too. I used gamepass for a little under 2 weeks. Gears 5 was really good but I prefer to own my games so I'd never get hooked on a service like gp

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I tried to get into Ruiner and I got overwhelmed for some reason. Did you play it on PC or Console?

Diddy X

I suck at choosing what to play, I have like 200 games + the ones at GP, I've finished like 4 or 5 so far LOL

I just roam the catalogue and if I see something that marks my interest I look it up on YouTube.

So far I've played:
Gears 5
Bloodstained
Forza Horizon 4
DMC5
Metro Exodus
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
PES 2020
D4
Quantum Break

Outside of Gamepass I've only purchased 3 games:
RE2
RDR2
Hitman 2

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
If I want a game, I go to the store and buy it. My time is too valuable to waste playing mediocre games just because they're on a monthly subscription service and I feel like I have to play them since I already paid for them.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Xbox One. It does get crazy. I didn’t finish it
Part of me thought it was the menus. I remember the sheer amount of just stuff in the tree and I was like...I feel like I should have a mouse. Maybe I'll try it again on pc.

When I had Game Pass, I'd try out things I normally wouldn't purchase, it was pretty neat actually. I got to try out Doom 2016, Crackdown 3, Gears 5, Monster Hunter World. And other oddball choices too like Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark Zero and other stuff too like Ori and the Blind Forest, which I downloaded but never got around to playing lol. I spent a good chunk of time in the Halo MCC reliving Halo 3 online, which was fun for the time. I had way more stuff downloaded but I forgot most of them. Game Pass was great while I had it, but things like the eventual rising of the price after you stay subscribed for a while and the loudness of my Xbox One made me eventually cancel it. In the future I might re suscribe, but for now I like to purchase physical copies when I can.

Arkage

Banned
Check how long it takes to a beat the game, especially for indie types. Played through Blair Witch, SuperHot and Tacoma all pretty quick, and all pretty decently fun.

As for longer games I really only download stuff as if I'd spend money on it. If I think it's a game I'd never actually buy I just won't bother with it. Then after playing it if I still lose interest anyway after an hour or two I uninstall. Happened with Guac 2, Bloodstained, Horizon 4.

Still have a bunch of stuff installed though waiting to be tried. Darksiders 3, Dishonored 2, Halo Wars 2, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Outer Wilds, Outer World, Pathologic 2, Rage 2, Shenmue 2. Bunch of stuff, really, which kind of stresses me out but I'll get to it when I get to it. And if it slips off the gamepass list so be it.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Usually I get the genre season effect. So now Im playing lots of sims and rpgs on my pc. After finishing AOE campaign, probably will try to finish Guacamelee 2 on the X1X.

Kagey K

Banned
I download all the ones I have even a passing interest in, then I float up and down my games list with choice paralysis.

I usually start dedicating time to one of I see it hit the leaving soon page and I know I only have 15 days to complete it.

Dory16

Banned
If I want a game, I go to the store and buy it. My time is too valuable to waste playing mediocre games just because they're on a monthly subscription service and I feel like I have to play them since I already paid for them.
The thread was more for the intention of game pass members but more power to you. I don't think that Gears 5, the Witcher 3 or the Outer Worlds are mediocre games.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Me too. I used gamepass for a little under 2 weeks. Gears 5 was really good but I prefer to own my games so I'd never get hooked on a service like gp
Except when you have GamePass you can buy GamePass games on sale (in duration the game is on the service), it's pretty good I buy games which I am interested in, not sure how this detract from the fact, you can play them before you buy them.

Sussoloc

I try games that i never heard of. The last 2 games I had very much fun with were Untitled Goose Game and Operancia. Great games that i would have missed completely without game pass. Next game will be Frostpunk. Looks good.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Except when you have GamePass you can buy GamePass games on sale (in duration the game is on the service), it's pretty good I buy games which I am interested in, not sure how this detract from the fact, you can play them before you buy them.
I'm mostly physical so the discount wouldn't help me

Mista

Banned
OP question is VERY clear. He’s asking about game pass as nobody gives a shit about what you do by the way

Reactions: JLB

LostDonkey

New question! How do I go about picking which achievement I want as my PC desktop background now they just made that feature available!!!!

I may be here for days.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom