• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you hook up your retro systems?

TexMex

So I've been re-buying my entire collection that I had to sell off years ago to make ends meet. It sucked - and seeing how much stuff is worth now that I sold for pennies on the dollar has turned my stomach.

That said - I did this before HDTV's were a real mass market thing so I always had a CRT. For those of you who still have your retro consoles hooked up - how do you have them hooked up to your modern displays without them looking like total ass?

I did go out and get a huge (50 inch) CRT - which is very nice. But man, takes two people just to lift it. The thing is a total beast so if I could make good use of some cheap 720p/1080p displays out there and still have my N64/Gamecube/etc not look terrible, I'd love to be able to.

Any tips?

Tschumi

I wanted to get a PS2 slim to work once, on a modern tv... I gave up. But I've still got a freemcboot memory card which I'm afraid to sell because i think it's got my ip and network details all entered into it, and that feels kind of risky heh

More on topic, i think there are converter boxes you can use to boost image, but you need things like an ideal tv make and special type of obsolete lan cable

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
it depends on the system.

I have, NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast and NeoGeo NeoGeo CD.

for NES I modded mine with Hidef NES Kit
SNES, I don't have 1-chip so I just got Analogue's Super NT

Genesis, I have Analogue Mega SG but for original hardware you have to mod it with Triple By-Pass kit and then get a SCART RGB Cable.
NeoGeo Same ... Tweak/MOD RGB and then SCART to OSSC

Then scale them 4 to 5 Times the resolution for HDTV (240p x 4 or 5)

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I wanted to get a PS2 slim to work once, on a modern tv... I gave up. But I've still got a freemcboot memory card which I'm afraid to sell because i think it's got my ip and network details all entered into it, and that feels kind of risky heh

More on topic, i think there are converter boxes you can use to boost image, but you need things like an ideal tv make and special type of obsolete lan cable

Serious ? you private IP Address ... R O F L .. no one gives a shit about your IP address.

Komatsu

My Dreamcast has its output going through a Berharbris Akura HDMI box - looks amazing on the big screen. My Nintendo 64 has the eon64 HDMI adapter, which is great. My Sega Saturn and Master System are hooked through an upscaler. The Saturn looks good, the Master System less so.

TexMex

My Dreamcast has its output going through a Berharbris Akura HDMI box - looks amazing on the big screen. My Nintendo 64 has the eon64 HDMI adapter, which is great. My Sega Saturn and Master System are hooked through an upscaler. The Saturn looks good, the Master System less so.

Looked up the Eon and not sure I want to drop 150 on an adapter, at least not yet (I've spent nearly a grand this week alone just buying the games) - any clue if these actually work?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
RetroPieWebsiteLogo.png

HE1NZ

Banned
I use RetroTink2X for PS2, N64 and Saturn. Plug component or S-Video into it and output to TV through HDMI. Zero input lag.

New version can pass through 480p so you can also use it with Xbox and Wii/GC (and 480p supporting PS2 titles), but my version is old one so I plug 480p consoles directly to TV, which has component input.

I tried plugging PS2 directly to TV to play 480i games and the added input lag is horrific. Picture isn't scaled correctly too, I think it has to do with PS2 running games at less than 480i internally. Through RetroTink2X it's fine except interlacing creates a little jitter, but that's nature of the beast.

Komatsu

Looked up the Eon and not sure I want to drop 150 on an adapter
Pricey, yes, but a lot better than the alternatives besides actually modding the console’s output and trust me, I have tried them all.

I have the cable you just linked and I thought the images it posts to be muddy. Not my cup of tea.

cireza

Banned
I haven't found a satisfactory solution to plug them on HD TVs. Always looks like ass by my standards, even with an upscaler. Scrolling is the main problem here. Movement blur kills it for me.

They are plugged to my CRT through SCART RGB.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
I haven't found a satisfactory solution to plug them on HD TVs. Always looks like ass by my standards, even with an upscaler. Scrolling is the main problem here. Movement blur kills it for me.

They are plugged to my CRT through SCART RGB.
Sounds like the issue is the TV.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I use Hyperkin HDMI adapters for the Xbox, Dreamcast, and N64. I went with Hyperkin because it’s a lot cheaper than other solutions and it’s “good enough” for as often as play my retro consoles. The only one that doesn’t look great is the N64 but that’s probably my least favorite retro console

Then I’ve got a “WiiHD” HDMI adapter for the Wii for Wii and Gamecube games. The PS2 uses a component to HDMI adapter.

Finally I have the Super Retro Trio Plus clone console which does NES, SNES, and Genesis over HDMI. It’s not terrible but it doesn’t do high pitched music very well like some of the Chrono Trigger soundtrack which sounds distorted even to my ears.

Anyway, all that and my 360, PS3, and TG-16 mini are hooked up to two Kinivo HDMI 5 to 1 switches which are then connected to my two non 4K120hz ports.

I think this stuff is kinda like audio equipment where you can spend a ton of money having people solder stuff or buying very expensive HDMI adapters or buy huge and heavy CRT TVs for a premium since the market has caught onto this retro gaming thing.

Alternatively you can be cheap like me and recognize that you don’t need the absolute best picture because you don’t play retro consoles as much as you want to or think you will want to.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Sounds like the issue is the TV.
Maybe OLED TVs would give better results, but I don't have the room available to put such a huge panel.

I play on a 32 inches HD TV, and don't want to move to anything bigger. My current TV is a Samsung Frame, good picture, good colors. But there is a very noticeable doubling of the picture with fast scrolling. My previous TV was a Sony 32 inches, also a TV that has good reviews : scrolling was extremely blurry. Its BFI was a joke, picture was awful, duplicated and incredibly dark.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Maybe OLED TVs would give better results, but I don't have the room available to put such a huge panel.

I play on a 32 inches HD TV, and don't want to move to anything bigger. My current TV is a Samsung Frame, good picture, good colors. But there is a very noticeable doubling of the picture with fast scrolling. My previous TV was a Sony 32 inches, also a TV that has good reviews : scrolling was extremely blurry. Its BFI was a joke, picture was awful, duplicated and incredibly dark.
I have a cheap 1080p Sony TV and don't get a lot of doubling. If I'm not mistaken these Frame TVs are more expensive.

You should check the settings, turn off every "enhancement", reduce sharpening and all that dumb shit.

cireza

Banned
You should check the settings, turn off every "enhancement", reduce sharpening and all that dumb shit.
I spent hours in the settings trying stuff, but I actually don't have many settings available. This doubling effect I see, it's simply like this on this TV, can't do anything about it. The 32 inches model has very few settings compared to the bigger models.

Will check again though, thanks.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I hook em up to a CRT.

I delved into the world of converters and SCART and upscalers and it's all really fancy, but in most cases exceeds the price of the games + gaming hardware.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have a cheap 1080p Sony TV and don't get a lot of doubling. If I'm not mistaken these Frame TVs are more expensive.

I've noticed that the newer my TV's get the worse my older systems work with them. I suspect that most TV manufacturers today don't really care whether the process of upscaling the analog 256x240 output from my NES that was designed to drive the photon gun of a CRT to the 3840 x 2160 resolution of my modern TV that prefers to receive and display entire frames of digital image data at once works particularly well.

I tried external converters and signal processors and they actually work ok. But ultimately I found the best way to enjoy these old systems, pretty much everything up to PS2 anyway, was just to get a CRT for them.

TLZ

Banned
I've got rid of my CRT. Too bulky and takes too much space. Not worth it. Got a couple rad2x cables hooked up to my HDTV instead. Much better this way.

P.Jack

No mention of the OSSC? You might want to look into that OP, depending on which consoles you want to play. I’d say using a OSSC is the next best thing to a CRT. It only supports RGB, so PS1-2, Dreamcast, Saturn, SNES among others works on stock consoles with the right cables. But NES and N64 does not output RGB without modification, so if thats what you are looking for you might be better off with a RetroTINK. If you are just hooking up one or two consoles, check out the RAD cables for an easy solution. If display lag is important to you (it should be), I’d recommend you to avoid pretty much all other options.

The OSSC is a great device with lots of options and no lag. I highly recommend it and it is well worth the price. You wont regret buying a device like that.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
The OSSC is a great device with lots of options and no lag
I have this. It does not help with movement blur though, which is inherent to our current TV technology.

Also, even if the OSSC integer scales the signal, this one is upscaled by the TV to fit screen, so you lose the integer scaling.

Last edited:

P.Jack

I have this. It does not help with movement blur though, which is inherent to our current TV technology.

Also, even if the OSSC integer scales the signal, this one is upscaled by the TV to fit screen, so you lose the integer scaling.
Well I always recommend pairing the OSSC with a monitor since those usually supports a wider range of resolutions.

As for the movement blur thats your display, it has nothing to do with the OSSC. I wouldn’t say it’s ’inherent to current technology’ at all. Maybe you should try hooking it up to your pc monitor if you have one?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i only have a PS2 and my current TV doesn't support it (LG CX).

I guess i could buy a HDMI converter but haven't bothered. i just hook my PS2 up to the old TVs which still have component/scart connections.

cireza

Banned
Maybe you should try hooking it up to your pc monitor if you have one?
Anything based on LCD has a lot of movement blur. PC Monitor can be good if it is OLED, I suppose (not even sure that they made any of these in the end). Or if it has some good black frame insertion tool. Some of these are covered on Blur Busters, and there aren't many that are satisfactory at all.

Last edited:

P.Jack

Anything based on LCD has a lot of movement blur. PC Monitor can be good if it is OLED, I suppose (not even sure that they made any of these in the end). Or if it has some good black frame insertion tool. Some of these are covered on Blur Busters, and there aren't many that are satisfactory at all.
Well I think our definition of problematic motion blur varies. There are good displays out there. And this has nothing to do with stuff like the OSSC, other than when compared to a CRT. Like I said, it’s the next best thing to a CRT.

Enzo88

Homebrewed Wii-U covers most of my retroconsoles in hdmi outside of the playstation stuff.
Xbox one covers the xbox family.
Homebrewed vita and hdmi adaptor for my japanese ps2 cover the playstation family up to ps2, portables included.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’ve got a small 720p set (22 inch hdtv) with component, RGB scart and HDMI on it if I need it.

Wouldn’t try to set up anything PS1 or older on my new 55” 4K set, just not worth it in my opinion.

cireza

Banned
And this has nothing to do with stuff like the OSSC
Indeed, as I stated above. OSSC does not help in this topic, it is entirely related to the TV/monitor.

I have a CRT next to my HD TV, so the problem is pretty big to me. Most people don't have CRT anymore, so they don't remember the great motion clarity we had with these. I a way, it is better for them not to remember... I have been wanting to switch on HD TV for my old consoles, but still haven't found a good enough solution, sadly.

sadmaker

Dreamcast VGA box, xbox component cables both connected to LCD

Every other retro system through snes/genesis generation via emulator on the trusty Wii U

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Classic games represent the hobby so I get mine everywhere (PS Store, Wii U store, dedicated TV etc.) my game room is loaded with classics.

cireza

Banned
As stated several times already, Wii U is a great console to emulate all these old machines and get HDMI out. Also fantastic for GBA with interger scaling x3 on the Gamepad.

I use an upscaler. I have both an OSSC and a Framemeister. I bought the Framemeister back when they were available widely/easily -- I think it's out of "print" now, unfortunately. I have to say, even though it was NOT a cheap purchase, I have absolutely ZERO regrets of purchasing the Framemeister. One of the best gaming purchases I have ever made.

After that, I bought a SCART cables for my Super Nintendo and Saturn off of that store on eBay with that lady who makes all those cables. I forget the name of their eBay store, but the cables are high quality and made for a good price.

For Wii and PS2 I bought "D" cables (I guess the Japanese variant of Component?) off eBay.

I generally have only one console hooked up at a time. So right now it's the Super Nintendo hooked up to the Framemeister with RGB, and the Framemeister to my HDTV via HDMI. Image is beautiful, clean, and no lag that I can really tell (I usually test lag with fighting games and some of the tighter-timed platformers I like to play). I have found that OSSC can lose its signal to the the Super Nintendo specifically, when connected over RGB (this issue doesn't happen with other consoles). I haven't bothered to do too much research into it yet.

Lucky8BB

Banned
Some people say there's no point playing PS2 games without CRT, so I have decided to make this comparison and share my impressions.

Component 480i (on 32inch sony W705)
component-480i.jpg

Component 480p
component-480p.jpg

scart RGB - 21'inch SD CRT
rgb.jpg

CRT s-video
s-video.jpg

C 480i
component-480i-11.jpg

C 480p
component-480p-11.jpg

CRT RGB
rgb-11.jpg

CRT Svideo
svideo-11.jpg

Component 480i
2-component-480i.jpg

Component 480p
2-component-480p.jpg

CRT RGB
2-rgb.jpg

CRT Svideo
2-svideo.jpg

I think these photos shows very well the difference in sharpness, however colors are innacurate (cold and washed out compared to what my eyes can see in real life), so keep this in mind guys.

My observations in regards to CRT:
Pros
+Picture is very bright and contrast is extremely impressive (bright objects next to dark areas look almost three-dimensional). I had to tweak these CRT pictures in lightroom (lower exposure and highlights settings) because otherwise you guys would see just blown out pictues.
+Picture on CRT is very clean and it's almost like playing with AA.
+Picture sharpness look the same during motion.
+Perfectly saturated colors in RGB scart input and very natural white balance (picture isnt to cold or warm). Black color is pitch black even in dark room.
+Zero additional lag

Cons
-Very noticeable blur. Objects in the distance blend together making certain games (especially racing games like NFS Underground 1) much harder to play, because you just cant see incoming trafic and react just in time.
-flickering (it's noticeable at first, however after a while my eyes adjust and I cant see flickering anymore)

On my particular CRT there are additional cons because I cant use advanced picture settings (including sharpness settings) on scart RGB input, so picture is way more blurry than S-video. On s-video colors arnt as impressive, however picture is reasonably sharp because sharpening settings works as it should.

My observations in regards to my LCD:
Pros
+ PS2 games are clearly sharper even at 480i, and at 480p the difference in clarity is just MASSIVE. On my LCD PS2 games that supports 480p look really sharp from normal viewing distance (even sharper than some sub 720p games on my PS3!). I was blown away when I saw games like Gran Turismo 4, Black, Ghosthunter, Tekken 4-5, burnout 2-4 at 480p!!
+ colors arnt perfect however I still like what I'm seeing. Saturation is very good and not that far from RGB scart on my CRT. Before I bought my sony 32W705 in 2016 I was using samsung LCD (26R41B from 2007, I bought it with PS3), but colors on this LCD were just washed out compared to CRT. On 32W705 I dont need to complain.
+there's no flickering
+shadow details in dark scenes are even better than on my CRT TV, although not perfect compared to my old panasonic 42GT60 (it's broken now, so that's why I'm playing on sony for now).

Cons
-motion blur, but I can live with that
-contrast isnt as impressive compared to my CRT and also black is not pitch black in dark room (although MUCH better than on my old samsung r41b and sharp quatron).
-16ms input lag is acceptable, but I can still feel very slight difference compared to CRT
-480i on my sony LCD looks clearly sharper compared to CRT, however there are some "stairs" on diagonal lines (I'm guessing it's from deinterlacing). These stairs arnt noticeable to me from normal viewing distance, but I'm playing on small LCD.

component-480i-2.jpg

There are some TV's with AI upscaling and I'm wondering if such upscaling can fix these "stairs"?

Overall I must say I'm really happy with how PS2 games looks on my current LCD. Yes, on CRT there's no motion blur and colors are just perfect, but only on scart cable, and I dont want to use it (lack of sharpness just ruins everything for me, picture is way too blurry). S-video on my CRT look somewhat sharp thanks to sharpening filters, but s-video colors are washed out.

What's interesting God Of War 2 on PS2 runs at 512x440, so not even 480p. PS2 use linear upscaling and because of that this game is much more pixelated than native 480p. Ghosthunter runs at true 480p and there's no pixelation (there's aliasing, but that's normal considering low resolution and no AA).

Also some games on PS2 look even worse than others. I have tested Haunting Ground and this game is blurry even at 480p. I'm guessing this game is running at sub 480p but also with some blur filter on top of that. I have even tested this game on PCSX2 emu, and even here picture is extremely blurry.

And the last thing... I dont want to start console war😂, but I must say PS2 component output is supperior than xbox classic. Picture from PS2 component output is sharper than xbox and I dont know why, because xbox games supposed to run at 480p as well (and BTW. I'm using original component cables on my xbox classic that works very well even at 1080i unlike cheaper ones that I was uaing before). Pixels edges are literally perfectly sharp on PS2, while on xbox pixel edges are somewhat soft, and it looks like too strong edge contrast sharpening (I'm using the same settings on my tv, and only xbox has this ringing around the edges).

PS2 480p
ps2.jpg

xbox 480p
xbox.jpg

Dont pay attention to exposure difference, because colors and contrast looks the same in real life. Even on this photo it's possible to see difference in sharpness. From normal viewing distance it's not a problem, but picture from PS2 component output is simply sharper (and BTW. I have xbox 1.6 version, so it supposed to have better video converter compared to previous revisions).

480p from PS2 is not perfect either, but unlike xbox component video output is not to blame. The thing is developers were extremely VRAM limited on PS2, and most of the time they were lowering (trading) color depth in order to run their game at higher resolution (progressive scan). As a result there's a color banding in PS2 480p games that's masked with dithering, so you can see square and dot artifacts if you look for it (for example on skybox texture in my outrun 2 photo). Xbox has worse sharpness but picture has no artifacts unlike PS2. In some 480p PS2 games dithering is noticeable that much, but in "Black"(this game has many grey textures) I can see dithering artifacts everywhere.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
So I've been re-buying my entire collection that I had to sell off years ago to make ends meet. It sucked - and seeing how much stuff is worth now that I sold for pennies on the dollar has turned my stomach.

That said - I did this before HDTV's were a real mass market thing so I always had a CRT. For those of you who still have your retro consoles hooked up - how do you have them hooked up to your modern displays without them looking like total ass?

I did go out and get a huge (50 inch) CRT - which is very nice. But man, takes two people just to lift it. The thing is a total beast so if I could make good use of some cheap 720p/1080p displays out there and still have my N64/Gamecube/etc not look terrible, I'd love to be able to.

Any tips?
They made 50" crts? I thought the biggest was 36"?

Fredrik

I’m using a DVI hardware mod on the Amiga 1200, Indivision AGA. There is a super minor tear happening since my PC screen is updating at 100hz and the Amiga through the mod is updating at slightly less than 100hz. But things are still nice compared to my old Philips 8833 phat monitor that sounds like it could fry your brain when you power it on.
1LaZl54.jpg

sCqZrC9.jpg

LHOcEx6.jpg

Top Bottom