• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you prefer your release date for video games?

How do you prefer your release date for video games?

• Total voters

levyjl1988

Banned
Just wondering how do you prefer video games releasing?
Do you need time to prepare for it, like save up, organize finances and time, or do you prefer sudden same-day drops.

ViolentP

I sincerely don't care. Releasing 5 years from now, or released yesterday, it's all the same to me.

Fbh

I wouldn't mind if every game just got announced and launched on the same day. Like: "Hey so our new game is Elden Ring, you can go buy it right now".
But I understand games usually need some time to build up hype, which is why being more realistic I like when games get announced and released within 12 months.

What I dislike the most is when games get announced years upon years in advance.
One of the main reasons I've yet to sell my Switch is SMTV, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4. And there's probably going to be a better, sleeker, faster console to play them on by the time they actually release.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

I don't really care as long as they release a finished and polished game with need for patches unless it's an unexpected problem that needs to be resolved. Waiting on a good game is not a problem, there are so much media to consume in the meanwhile any ways. But when it releases it better be damn finished and good.

Last edited:

GMAK2442

It's a lot of fun to get the announce even years earlier but. But I think it's when the development can offer it that is the best time for me.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Whatever Atlus is doing, but the total opposite.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
When I see a "is launching today" I get really excited. Nintendo does that a lot

But I also like to wait a little and plan a bit. Six to a 12 months are nice to me

FeldMonster

I voted for same day release, because that would probably be the most exciting. Realistically though, 3-6 months is probably the best compromise between the immediate excitement for consumers and marketing/distribution for IP owners/retailers.

Pantz

2-3 years, I like the build up.
Preferably with an in-game teaser at the start and more sprinkled over time.

Jeeves

Anywhere within 3 months is good, because I know it won't be delayed.

I am also perfectly fine with a game being launched the day of announcement. I don't need time to set aside funds for it, and my decisions are more based on user impressions than marketing anyway.

I do not see a point in announcing a game that's more than two years away, and announcing a date that far out is ridiculous because you know the date won't stick.

johntown

Banned
I'm good with almost all the choices. I think I like the surprise ones that I was not expecting coming out in a few months the most.

PooBone

It varies, of course. My most hyped games were usually announced years in advance, but I'm with the majority here when I vote 6-12 months.

Considering all the release date fuckups this past year, I'd rather devs/pubs wait until they're 110% positive when it'll release, even if it's only a month or so.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I liked the way Astral Chain was announced. It was announced with gameplay footage and released date and got released 6 month later with getting delayed.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A big AAA won’t ever be launched on the same day of its announcement. I do enjoy same day because it’s some unique title. I remember buying Entwined after Sony’s E3 experience. That was the same year we got to play the Destiny Alpha. 6-12 months is good for a classic collection or remaster. 1-2 years is sometimes a good wait if you’re looking forward to a big budget title. That fall/winter release window use to be super interesting, but we’ve seen awesome games come out Jan-June. It really doesn’t matter what part of the year if you ask me. I’ve reserved games since the PS1/Dreamcast and I’ve got two games preordered now. I remember when we first saw those screenshots of RE Village. It told us nothing outside of the setting and even then it was a rumor. I remember the rumor before that was that RE8 was going to be on an island. Which didn’t really make much sense. That type of anticipation where rumors are taking over the actual hype of what will be revealed really sours the wait. I like a decent announcement with a good 1-2 year wait.

I look back when the PS3 was relatively new to the market and we had stuff like the secret ending in Kingdom Hearts II and the Final Fantasy Tech demo. That was like 06-08 and we didn’t actually get those games until 9+ years later. That kinda hype sees major changes in the industry and in the people you’re around who play.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I'd say 1-6 months is perfect for most. Enough time to think about it without too much time to think about it.

What I've noticed is that most of the games that exist in hype mode for several years don't get received all that well. Too much time for players to build and then settle into their own ideas of what the game "must be" and then being disappointed when the product released isn't what they envisioned from all the trailers, etc. And then there are the games where they show you so much in the build up that you feel like you've played it already before it's released. LOL

Top Bottom