• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you rank the non-FROM "Souls-likes" from this generation (poll for the best one)?

What is the best Souls imitator from this generation?

• Code Vein

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Nioh

Votes: 53 65.4%
  • Remnant: From the Ashes

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • The Surge

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Ashen

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Lords of the Fallen

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
(as a disclaimer, I am sticking to third person action-RPGs that at least somewhat resemble FROM's Dark Souls franchise. So, games that might loosely be called "the Dark Souls of [genre]" like Salt & Sanctuary or Castle of Heart are excluded. I'm also excluding games that are more "roguelike" than "Soulslike", so a challenging game like Risk of Rain 2 is out, too)

I love FROM's Soulsbornkiro games, but I also love when an outside developer rises to the occasion and gives a niche subgenre their own twist. Which ones do you think actually meet -- or exceed -- their original inspiration? Below are the ones that come to mind but if I have omitted any please bring them up.

Code Vein

Nioh franchise

Remnant: From the Ashes

The Surge franchise

Ashen

Lords of the Fallen

bati

Of the ones listed I have by far the most hours in Nioh but I didn't enjoy it as much on higher difficulties. Far east/oriental/samurai setting also does nothing for me, which was probably also one of the reasons why I bounced off Sekiro. When it comes to pure fun/enjoyment it's a tie between The Surge and Lords of the Fallen for me, with LotF being slightly in the lead due to its setting. Both brought some new interesting concepts to the genre and solidly executed their gameplay loop and thankfully didn't try to stretch out content with needless filler - these games are smaller than Souls worlds but still a blast to go through.

Phase

If I'm honest, the only game I don't think is trash in this list is Nioh.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Darksiders 3 is #1 for sure! It might not be too Souls-like but that just means it was creative, it's a better game than most and does share traits like the interconnected world and backtracking and what not, 3D Metroidvania style (but with actual new skills and shit that enable you to reach and traverse new areas, rather than just acquiring keys and activating switches or whatever as in the Souls games, that's the one thing they didn't properly translate from 2D Metroidvania when they made those games), even though it was unfairly bashed as too Souls-like in its combat (it really isn't). It's more Souls-like than Nioh though, that barely qualifies with the bite sized areas and Diablo-like loot/stats being way too important (at least for normal players, maybe some zen master out there can complete the game naked with the starting weapon or whatever, I wouldn't know about that).

Last edited:

Shrap

The Surge for me. Targeting limbs in a souls game is one of the most satisfying combat mechanics and an awesome way to loot gear. Some of the moments in the executive forum were incredible too. Top notch environmental storytelling.

Nioh had its moments but it really dragged and Sekiro was just so much better. Still gonna check out Nioh 2 though.

Belmonte

Nioh is outstanding. Level design, monster variety and lore are not as great as From but the combat mechanics are solid as hell. And the more you play, more it distances itself from Soulsborne games. Nioh 2 will be a monster in terms of quality since most "cons" the first one have seems to have been fixed.

I need to play more the other games to have an informed opinion but I liked them also. From releases so many high replayable classics that it is hard to have time for all the others!

Souls-like is the healthiest genre in gaming right now IMO. The greatest ones are must-play classics, the others are fun games which deserves to be played.

SpiceRacz

Darksiders 3 is #1 for sure! It might not be too Souls-like but that just means it was creative, it's a better game than most and does share traits like the interconnected world and backtracking and what not, 3D Metroidvania style (but with actual new skills and shit that enable you to reach and traverse new areas, rather than just acquiring keys and activating switches or whatever as in the Souls games, that's the one thing they didn't properly translate from 2D Metroidvania when they made those games), even though it was unfairly bashed as too Souls-like in its combat (it really isn't). It's more Souls-like than Nioh though, that barely qualifies with the bite sized areas and Diablo-like loot/stats being way too important (at least for normal players, maybe some zen master out there can complete the game naked with the starting weapon or whatever, I wouldn't know about that).

Well, you sold me on Darksiders 3.

Nightrunner

Well, you sold me on Darksiders 3.
+ The actual combat is also reminiscent of Castlevania. I'm talking about the default combat mode where the emphasis is on dodging and counter attacking with that whip - Darksiders 3 feels like what a modern Castlevania game in 3D might be gameplay wise.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
These are 2D, but still my favorites if you consider them part of the same genre:

salt-and-sanctuary.jpg

blasph2.png

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
How is Blasphemous? I am really intrigued by the design but wasn't sure.

I loved it! It's pretty much a bleak-atmosphere Metroidvania title mixed with Souls. (It is thankfully not a 'rogue-like' type title). It's pretty hard, although not on the same level as say, Hollow Knight...and I found it pretty fun figuring out how to counter each enemy type.

I highly recommend it if you like tough yet fair Metroidvania titles. :)

Last edited:

pr0cs

I haven't tried Nioh so I can't comment on it but of the others Ashen I thought was really good, had an interesting story, unique world and art design. It was challenging but not unfair. If you haven't tried it you do yourself a disfavor.
You can play it on gamepass, the xbonex version runs great even in 4k.

Hmmm well why bother with these when I can play real souls games over and over like I usually do.

On the other hand, I do have Nioh for Free-oh....maybe I could check it out.

Should "Let it Die" be on this list? I never played it but I heard it was a souls-like.

mcz117chief

I loved it! It's pretty much a bleak-atmosphere Metroidvania title mixed with Souls. (It is thankfully not a 'rogue-like' type title). It's pretty hard, although not on the same level as say, Hollow Knight...and I found it pretty fun figuring out how to counter each enemy type.

I highly recommend it if you like tough yet fair Metroidvania titles. :)
Tough and fair is my favorite combo. I love a good challenge where I can feel like I have earned my victory.

I'd say Immortal Unchained, which isn't listed. I quite enjoyed it.

Though to be fair I have Code Vein just need to play more of it. I like the Surge in concept, it looks cool, interesting setting, but it didn't click quite like Immortal Unchained did. Despite being on the janky end, Immortal Unchained was a lot of fun for me personally.

Last edited:
I think this is a pretty easy win for Nioh but I personally like The Surge more cause of the setting. Mecha and sci-fi always gets bonus points for me.

noqtic

Nioh. The level design, story, monster variety, and other things were not great but the combat is so satisfying.

Nioh and it's not close. Nioh has it's problems as other posters have already mentioned but overall it's a great game that stands out as more than a Souls wannabe. Some of it's bosses are just fantastic. The rest of the games range from mediocre and forgettable to straight trash.

Top Bottom