• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you think Gamepass will affect gaming?

Huh? There is plenty of exclusive stuff on Netflix or other services that you can't get anywhere else.

Only a matter of time until we get the same in gaming.

But you said that gamepass will cause shovelware, so you don't really need to worry about games being exclusive to the service, unless that's the kind of games you like?

Last edited:

mxbison

But you said that gamepass will cause shovelware, so you don't really need to worry about games being exclusive to the service, unless that's the kind of games you like?

I said the exact opposite. That you'll need several different services to play all the good games.

Chukhopops

You hear a lot about GP but you don't hear about how bad most of the games are. I had Sega Channel back in the day and when it worked it was great for a couple of months. After that I sat waiting for the new games. 95% of them sucked and it became more economical for me to just read the game mags and get something that really interested me.
You don’t hear that often because it’s bullshit, 26% of GP games are in the yellow or below area on Metacritic. The vast majority are 75+ and 45% are 80+.

Every thread has the same assumptions without any data to back it, eventually you get used to it but the truth still there.

I said the exact opposite. That you'll need several different services to play all the good games.

Apologies I confused you with another poster.

That said... I don't really think there will be several competitors that you'll need to sub to. There arnt that many industry players and stadia has failed right out of the gate.

Even IF more and more enter that market, you can just go back to buying the games. Your not in a contract for life. The day I have to get several subs is the day I go back to buying games individually.

Last edited:

pasterpl

The concept will impact gaming the same way as Netflix impacted viewing.

It’ll be the thing you do when there’s nothing else better to do. If there aren’t any real AAA games around you’ll surf GP for some indies or the tired rotation of old games.

After a few years you’ll realise that you’ve spent money on a subscription, don’t own the content and could have bought and owned many interesting pieces of software with the money instead.

But then apathy will set in, you’ll keep paying and enjoy yet another indie game for 6 hours while waiting for real AAA games to come. Which strangely will become less and less frequent...

Renting anything is basically a waste of money - the only people who rent are those too poor to afford to buy and they usually recognise it’s a bad deal. If that’s you - so poor you can’t afford buy games - I’d suggest you limit gaming to older stuff (you can buy cheaper than a subscription anyway) save the subscription fee and focus on saving your money.

I don’t subscribe to anything these days. Maybe once every few months I’ll sign up to HBO or whatever and catch up on any new stuff. Otherwise just get rid of it - waste of money and time. Game subscriptions are the same.

The secondary problem will be that subscriptions become shoe horned into places they don’t fit ... ultimately you’ll end up paying more to only rent. Yesterday Paradxo said they’re making CK2 a subscription service! $5 a month! Crazy.

it is an idiotic take, you are also contradicting yourself

Thirty7ven

Banned
Can you name one industry that this hasn't happened in? It's alright saying this, but can you put a rough date on it, because if its endless or 50+ years your guaranteed to be right at some point.

Why isn't there the same level of prices rise concern for PS first party games and Netflix/HBO, Disney+ subs, all of which have gone up in the past few months.... But god forbid MS does it with GP in the next decade we will get endless 'told you so' posts.

There’s nothing wrong or unexpected about price hike. The problem will be having to go with multiple subscription services, and games that don’t get discounted nearly as much as before.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
For now it's good.

When you need like 6 different subscriptions to play all the good games, it's gonna really suck.

No way Sony ,Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc. are not joining in sooner or later and paying big for exclusives. Only one I could see still doing their own thing is Nintendo.
You guys are laughing at him, but he's right.

Look at Disney. They've redrawed all their stuff from other platforms to only show it on Disney plus. Imagine if Ubisoft, Sony, etc make all their services.

Look at ea access as well. Its already 2 subscriptions. Game pass includes ea access as well, but will it be the case with new services as well?

Regarding if it will change the industry, no. We will still be able to buy our games.
The only thing I would be worried by would be if its possible to buy physical games in ten or fifteen years.

nush

I think it's the perfect platform for episodic games. Say for example, you take Alan Wake and chop it up for Gamepass but the "Boxset" is the full game you can buy anytime.

Game Pass is a proven breeding ground for mediocrity.
Fable, Hellblade 2, Avowed, Perfect Dark, Ori 1 and 2, Forza Horizon 4, MCC, Gears 5, Sea of Thieves, Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield, DOOM Eternal, Wolfenstein 2, and more.

Oh God the mediocrity..... /s

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
You can't really judge gamepass until a few years down the line and Microsoft have delivered their big new IPs on it. Right now it's still fledgling but already has a lot of worth and some of that is obviously based on their support of BC.

The danger is if it leads to market fragmentation and we end up with EA Play, GPU, Ubisoft+, SQEnix forever, Rockstar etc. then it becomes very difficult to see how anyone can afford all games. Having said that as long as the original purchase model is preserves (buy a single game at retail), then it's just a service that will appeal to a lot of people.

If Sony started Sony Play for £15 a month and you got Miles Morales, Ratchet and Clank, GT7, Horizon: Forbidden West, Demon's Souls on day one without needing to drop £70, as well as access to all their 1st party previous titles that would also be a great deal (with a lot of filler). The only thing gamepass is missing at the moment is the big first party IPs. Whether they deliver or not is another thing but they are on the way. GPU also ensures that there is longevity in its titles as well. At any one time you have 15 million people with access to an online mode. Without people needing to buy the game -we see what that does for games like Among Us, Fall Guys and Secret Neighbor.

But players still have the option to just purchase what they want when they want. No one is obliged to take GPU, they can still buy Cyberpunk at release, they can still buy Destiny 2 and Call of Duty and play them as normal. They can also do that with Halo Infinite. I really dont get the obsession with gamepass - there have been like 6 threads on it in the last 3 days or something.

You guys are laughing at him, but he's right.

Look at Disney. They've redrawed all their stuff from other platforms to only show it on Disney plus. Imagine if Ubisoft, Sony, etc make all their services.

Look at ea access as well. Its already 2 subscriptions. Game pass includes ea access as well, but will it be the case with new services as well?

Regarding if it will change the industry, no. We will still be able to buy our games.
The only thing I would be worried by would be if its possible to buy physical games in ten or fifteen years.
So are you saying that gamepass isn't good now or that it possibly might could not be in the future?

You do know that you could cancel it at any time and your not in a 150 year contract with gamepass

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
So are you saying that gamepass isn't good now or that it possibly might could not be in the future?

You do know that you could cancel it at any time and your not in a 150 year contract with gamepass
Game pass is a good deal. But it's not a good deal for everyone.

Also, the benefit of game pass can change if too many pulls the plug and make their own service like Disney did.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
You hear a lot about GP but you don't hear about how bad most of the games are. I had Sega Channel back in the day and when it worked it was great for a couple of months. After that I sat waiting for the new games. 95% of them sucked and it became more economical for me to just read the game mags and get something that really interested me.
Yep, the excitement about getting these 3$ games on Gamepass is not normal. If this was a Steam or Fanatical bundle with these old Bethesda titles there would be no reaction at all (like the yearly Quakecon sale or weekly Bethesda sales).

It's always the same posters hyping GP. I see right through it.

Top Bottom