• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does NeoGAF deal with anger issues?

Forgive me for the Google-type of the question, but Google has only off-surface opinions that are either outdated or simply not relevant to a specific example such as myself, who doesn't know where to even begin with solving this issue of mine. A little bit of context: I am a 24-year-old male who for the past 2 years have been dealing with exposure to anger, I noticed how it became much easier for me to get angry, all it takes is for something minor to happen and I will start yelling to the point of losing my voice, not right away of course, but over the course of a couple of days I will be slowly losing my voice, my face will be burning, and that alone makes me even angrier, I tend to break things, it used to be something minor until recently where I almost broke my window, I made a small hole in it by throwing my old hard drive at it, I wasn't trying to break the window, I threw it out of frustration and it happened to hit the window, I say the most horrendous things, not because I actually want to say them, but because if I don't let my anger out I feel like I am going to explode, I simply have to do something, but for now there is no better option rather than yelling or throwing certain objects. I am desperate, and going to a therapist is not an option, which is why I hope to hear some of the stories of NeoGAF users that went through a similar experience and found a way to deal with anger issues.

greyshark

I’m sorry to hear that you’re going through something like this. Why is going to therapy not an option? Trying to get to the deep seeded causes of your anger is not something a group of strangers are going to be able to help you with.

Hearing our stories will help your catharsis I’m sure, but they won’t give you the tools you need to solve your specific problem.

G-Bus

Banned
I was on Mertazapine for chronic anxiety issues. Some of the other effects were helping with anger and sleep.

Due to life and general stress I was becoming easier agitated. Fly off the handle and yell.

The medication definitely helped a bit with it.

I would also suggest exercise and practicing mindfulness.

Wife has notice s huge improvement in my mood. I rarely flt off the handle now.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to hear that you’re going through something like this. Why is going to therapy not an option? Trying to get to the deep seeded causes of your anger is not something a group of strangers are going to be able to help you with.

Hearing our stories will help your catharsis I’m sure, but they won’t give you the tools you need to solve your specific problem.
Thank you for your concern. Seeing a therapist is not something that I can afford, plus I am currently staying in a place where there are no therapists available, it is a small town.

I was on Mertazapine for chronic anxiety issues. Some of the other effects were helping with anger and sleep.

Due to life and general stress I was becoming easier agitated. Fly off the handle and yell.

The medication definitely helped a bit with it.

I would also suggest exercise and practicing mindfulness.

Wife has notice s huge improvement in my mood. I rarely flt off the handle now.
I started exercising recently, and around two years ago I started practicing meditation, it is not something that I do often, but when I do it, it gives me an experience that I am missing in my everyday life. I generally try to avoid any medications because they always put me to sleep, but I appreciate your response either way, it makes me feel that I am not alone who has to deal with this.

greyshark

Thank you for your concern. Seeing a therapist is not something that I can afford, plus I am currently staying in a place where there are no therapists available, it is a small town.

There are online therapists that you can video chat with. I get FB ads for BetterHelp, their website says the cost can be as low as $60 per week.

I’ve personally struggled with anger issues in my life, one thing I’ve noticed is a lot of it came from negative self-talk. I would berate myself for mistakes and let that anger seep out to others around me when I was having a tough time. I had all the patience in the world for others but none for myself.

It’s ok to make mistakes, and you are never alone. You can get help, whether it’s from the people close to you or professional support. There is no need to feel ashamed for struggling.

dr_octagon

Banned
I go onto twitter and complain about the world.

Speak to people you trust, therapist if required, to understand why. Continue to take positive steps, exercise as mentioned.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Give the source of the anger a name, understand where it comes from. It’s mostly fear, so try and see what is it that you fear that makes you so angry.

Your spirit may need a bit of guidance, so try to look up on how to strengthen your spirit, so that you can build peace of mind and the ability to be more fearless.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I dress up as a bat and beat criminals to a bloody pulp.

….more seriously OP, I think a therapist might be good for you if you can source one that you can afford. I would put my efforts into at least finding someone to talk to who can offer decent advice. Online forums aren’t really the right place.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Gotta hit the gym.

pr2ijodc4yt11.png

QSD

Forgive me for the Google-type of the question, but Google has only off-surface opinions that are either outdated or simply not relevant to a specific example such as myself, who doesn't know where to even begin with solving this issue of mine. A little bit of context: I am a 24-year-old male who for the past 2 years have been dealing with exposure to anger, I noticed how it became much easier for me to get angry, all it takes is for something minor to happen and I will start yelling to the point of losing my voice, not right away of course, but over the course of a couple of days I will be slowly losing my voice, my face will be burning, and that alone makes me even angrier, I tend to break things, it used to be something minor until recently where I almost broke my window, I made a small hole in it by throwing my old hard drive at it, I wasn't trying to break the window, I threw it out of frustration and it happened to hit the window, I say the most horrendous things, not because I actually want to say them, but because if I don't let my anger out I feel like I am going to explode, I simply have to do something, but for now there is no better option rather than yelling or throwing certain objects. I am desperate, and going to a therapist is not an option, which is why I hope to hear some of the stories of NeoGAF users that went through a similar experience and found a way to deal with anger issues.
Excercise, like others have said, and don't just move some weight around, put your aggression into it

Also, explosive anger like this doesn't just happen, it's usually because it's been building up throughout various situations in your life and you've been dealing with it in an unhelpful manner (i.e. you're trying to suppress it or sweep it under the carpet). Maybe you need to learn to pay attention to your emotions more, find out what situations actually arouse anger in you and set about trying to fix those situations. (which is also often quite difficult) One of the reasons mindfulness and meditation is recommended so often is people aren't aware of the emotional reactions they're having or they misattribute them. Learning to pay attention to your inner landscape is not just for yoga hippies, it's necessary for all of us.

I do, but it's not as severe as it could have been, I learned to live with it, it doesn't bother me every waking hour.
You probably have a damaged limbic system from it. I don't want to tell you what to do, but I only offer a suggestion. Many with similar (neurological NOT wholly psychological issues) have benefited from neural re-programming. There are a variety of options, and to be fair, they can be a bit pricey, depending upon your means, but this type of approach has helped many with *many* different, but similarly rooted issues.

Here's the link for a few, if you choose to consider it.

one
two
three

They are not necessarily marketed to your problem, but the root, if it involves any limbic system problems, especially where you are *stuck* in the fight/flight/freeze response, is the same. The idea behind these programs is the neuroplasticity of the brain. But please don't take my advice without doing your own research to see if it resonates for you.

Good luck. I hope you can find some peace and resolution.

BigBooper

Maybe you should try not letting the anger out and exploding. You might just be trying to find an excuse to keep acting the way you do.

poodaddy

Gotta hit the gym.

pr2ijodc4yt11.png
For the most part I agree with this, as lifting has helped me with various mental problems for the better part of twenty years, but I knew people in the Army who became obsessed with lifting, and it only made them much bigger assholes. For what it's worth, my wife is kind of an example of that unfortunately. I wanted my wife to get into lifting around ten years ago, and I kinda wish I never got her into it. It's all she talks about now, and it seems to be all she cares about, and it seems to have made her much more irritable in general. For example, if she misses a lift that she's convinced she should have been able to get, she turns into a complete asshole about it, throws a fit and everything. I get it, I mean I used to do that too when I was younger, but we ain't young anymore. I miss a lift and I go, "well shit, guess I should get a little more consistent with my sets and reps, no big", but some people turn into complete assholes when all they care about is strength and lifting. It also tends to be a hobby that somewhat encourages narcissism, which I think is, without exception, always terrible.

Again, I'm huge into lifting, have been for a long time, but I don't think it's the catch all cure all that many people say it is, though I certainly used to believe that. Health is more than just gym time, it's also taking care for your mental health, taking time for yourself, realizing your value and self worth, (I'm still working on that), realizing the importance of laugher and fun to a balanced human being, and attempting to maintain a balanced diet, (balanced being the key phrase here, anyone who tells you that the path to health is an omission of any of the three macronutrients has fallen prey to agenda and marketing and should not be listened to any further), and being sure to always strive for self improvement in some region, or several regions at once. While striving for that self improvement though, you must carefully balance striving for your goals against being a self absorbed asshole, which I have been in the past.

OP, I still struggle with anger today. I just got into a minor shit fit over thinking about how ridiculous the politics over here in the Seattle area are and how lawlessness is basically being encouraged here, and I had to just take a minute and breath, just realize that there's no reason to be mad over things I can't control. You have to learn to divorce yourself from things that are beyond your touch; realize that the world is so much larger and more untouchable than we will ever truly comprehend, and that everyone in the world has to deal with their issues in their own particular way. If you have the power to change something that causes you ire, then set about doing it as soon as possible, if only for your peace of mind. If you lack the means to change these things, stop allowing them to cause you ire. Delete them, do not let them interfere with your happiness and your daily life.

It's advice that I'm trying to take too, and it's easier said than done, but that's my two cents in any case.

Last edited:
Have you looked into taking an antidepressant? I remember having feelings of rage around the age of 19 before taking them. I'm 30 now and, I don't know if it's a combination of getting older and the medication, but I don't get as angry as before.

It probably won't hurt talking to your doctor about it.

Kaachan

Exercising

That's the one thing that helps me when I'm feeling mentally unbalanced

Running, boxing, or lifting

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Oh yeah, and nutrition too. You‘d be surprised of the effects the food we eat has on our emotions and feeling. Cut away the crap.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I got rid of sugar, distanced myself from highly competitive video games, adopted the count to 10 rule, and also learned that edibles are an incredible resource when it comes to controlling your temper.

I got rid of sugar, distanced myself from highly competitive video games, adopted the count to 10 rule, and also learned that edibles are an incredible resource when it comes to controlling your temper.
I actually considered doing both of these things, but then I realized that avoiding certain things is pointless as they can come back into my life at any moment and under different circumstances. I want to limit my consumption of those things, but I don't think that I can eliminate them from my life completely.

Have you looked into taking an antidepressant? I remember having feelings of rage around the age of 19 before taking them. I'm 30 now and, I don't know if it's a combination of getting older and the medication, but I don't get as angry as before.

It probably won't hurt talking to your doctor about it.
Yes, and maybe I just haven't found the correct one, but most of them put me to sleep, this is something that I personally don't like because I went through a somewhat of an uncomfortable with medications that were supposed to help me to deal with the headache, and all they did was not only put me to sleep to the point of me trying to resist the effect but also gave me a sense of fear and paranoia for some time, it was a horrible experience.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
It's also beneficial to recognize that anger is like breaking into a run.

It may have a slow build up or an immediate burst, but once you're up to speed you can't just stop immediately, it takes time and is a process. Anger is the same so the best methods are learning to identify when your anger is just beginning to build and addressing it then, or accepting that coming down is a process and isn't something that can just be done in an instant. Thinking (or being told) you can just stop in an instant is counter productive, only leads to frustration and makes it worse.

Gym and boxing. Hitting a guy actually feels good and it's in a legal setting.
I know it's cliched to say "hit the gym," but in this case it's truly 100% applicable and effective.

Especially if you work out in the morning, I've had workouts for which the endorphins have lasted me all day long. Although in general I no longer have anger issues compared to when I was younger, working out has always helped keep me level.

OP, have you been getting good sleep too? That matters a lot as well.

Driving a semi and carrying a gun on me everywhere I go has forced me to eliminate my anger issues. I hold more lives in my hands in a single day than any doctor does in a year, I'm not allowed to get angry.

I can feel the anger with the amount of commas there are in the opening statement. You must have been bottling this up for some time eh?

Top Bottom