• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Elder Scrolls 6 And Starfield Are Shaping Up

Bullet Club

The Elder Scrolls VI is being designed to play for a decade or longer.

Two of Bethesda's major upcoming games, The Elder Scroll VI and Starfield, are not coming to E3 2019, but that doesn't mean the company is keeping quiet about the projects. Bethesda boss Todd Howard spoke briefly about both projects in an in-depth interview with IGN this week.

Starting with The Elder Scrolls VI, Howard said Bethesda is designing the game to be played for a decade "at least." He wants the game to have longevity in the way that Skyrim has. That game was released in 2011 and it remains popular and sells well on every platform Bethesda brings it to, Howard said.

LOpUwXK.png

He gave no indication as to when The Elder Scrolls VI will release, but he says you will understand why it's taking so long once Bethesda finally shows it off.

"On one hand, I think it's good to miss things. I think that makes people come to it with really really fresh eyes," he said about the gap between Skyrim and The Elder Scrolls VI. "When you eventually, eventually see the game and what we have in mind [you'll] understand the gap more in terms of technology and what we want it to do."

The only piece of media for The Elder Scrolls VI released so far is the briefest of teaser trailers from E3 2018. The game will likely release on next-generation platforms, Howard has said in the past and mentioned again in the IGN interview.

As for Starfield, Howard talked about how it's important for the game to have its own tone to help it stand apart from the numerous other sci-fi games on the market.

"[Starfield will have its] own tone in terms of there is so much science-fiction in the same way that Fallout has its own tone in post-apocalyptic," he said. "Elder Scrolls has found its own tone, but originally didn't. It was very generic fantasy."

Howard wants Starfield to be the "be all, end all science fiction game that everyone's always wanted to play." He clarified that it is his own personal be all, end all sci-fi game, and not necessarily yours.

Whatever the case, it's a bold ambition for Starfield, but Howard thinks he has put the pieces in place to make it happen. "We could be the ones to pull this off," he said. "We have enough talent and experience and technology; we need to write a whole bunch of new technology that we're doing [for Starfield]. But we think that we can pull it off."

Also in the interview, Howard said Bethesda knew it wanted Starfield to be its next game after Fallout 4 and that development is now underway across the developer's North American studios.

But when will we see more of Starfield? "Everyone should be very patient," Howard said.

Like Fallout 4, which was announced in June just five months before its release in November 2015, Howard said he wants to have a short announce-to-release window for Starfield. The five month window for Fallout 4 was the quickest turnaround the Bethesda's sales team would allow, he said. Howard acknowledged there are complexities related to announcing and releasing quickly, due in part to allowing retail partners to prepare for release.

In terms of a release schedule, Starfield is coming first and then The Elder Scrolls VI, at least according to the current plan.

While Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI will not appear at E3 this year, Bethesda is still holding a briefing where it will announce other games and make additional announcements.

Source: Gamespot

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
"[Starfield will have its] own tone in terms of there is so much science-fiction in the same way that Fallout has its own tone in post-apocalyptic," he said.
Did Todd have a stroke here or is this just butchered writing from IGN?

Like Fallout 4, which was announced in June just five months before its release in November 2015, Howard said he wants to have a short announce-to-release window for Starfield.

...but your already announced the game last E3???

One the one hand, I can't help but feel excited for Elders Scrolls IV, especially with the way Todd described its sheer ambitious scope.

On the other hand, Todd and his team have lied big time with fallout 76 and used similar rhetoric when describing that game.

My answer to this dilemma?

image.jpg

The Elder Scrolls VI is being designed to play for a decade or longer.

So...another live service game to look forward too....ugh. The only reason skyrim has lasted so long is modding, and if they don't have that with ES6, it won't last a decade.

Saber

Gold Member
Well, they could at least state what part of Tamriel gonna be this time instead of saying a bunch of nothing.

mcz117chief

One the one hand, I can't help but feel excited for Elders Scrolls IV, especially with the way Todd described its sheer ambitious scope.

On the other hand, Todd and his team have lied big time with fallout 76 and used similar rhetoric when describing that game.
Exactly. What they did with Fallout 76 is just beyond terrible. I have never seen a AAA developer flop so massively. I am, of course, looking forward to the next Elder Scrolls game but I will remain cautious and absolutely positively will not pre-order even if it comes with incredible bonuses.

Inviusx

He's right about F76, it had a tough launch but it's improved immensely since then. A live service game is ultimately about what it becomes, not how it started.

Teslerum

said. "Elder Scrolls has found its own tone, but originally didn't. It was very generic fantasy."

Uhhh uh yeah suuu.......

FUCKING TRIGGERED

Who the fuck do you think you are Todd. You know what the most interesting part of Elder Scrolls is Todd??? Its the lore!

And do you realize where this lore is from? The games you directed? NO. Its from Daggerfall and Arena.

And please do tell me who it was again that turned Cyrodill from a interesting jungle into the most generic looking fantasy land ever.... Oh it was you!

So in the words of Dave Chappelle

tumblr_mpnsntBO2D1st3xfjo1_r1_500.gif

Zaffo

They already said that the new games are going to use the Creation Engine, so we can all expect Skyrim 2 and Fallout 77 levels of quality.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Certainly it will happen eventually though, right? Though maybe not until.... the 2030s....

However I'd settle for one region provided it's both a great game and looks amazing.

Well if that doesnt happen they could at least choose some parts of it, like 3 region at same time.

But I'm kinda with the fellow member there...not sure this will be a thing.

Shifty

This does not fill me with enthusiasm. I want to see genuine innovation and improvement, not 'the same but more'.

The creation engine and Bethesda's single long-suffering QA guy are going to buckle under the strain sooner or later.

Airbus Jr

Banned
This does not fill me with enthusiasm. I want to see genuine innovation and improvement, not 'the same but more'.

The creation engine and Bethesda's single long-suffering QA guy are going to buckle under the strain sooner or later.

Were talking about an all time record over 30 million copy sales at TES V Skyrim, name other RPG game that can reach that number

Bethesda would be foolish not to extend that lead and use their strongest brand to the core

I get that is risky job at investing new ip like Starfield but theres nothing wrong with making sequel of your best selling franchise

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
After 76? I'll give both games a few days after launch to make sure it's not broken or just plain bad. I pre-ordered Fallout 4 (not smart) and then 76 soiled the little trust I had left in Bethesda as developers.

If these games will use the same engine as 76 then i'm not interested.
Yeah, if I see the same ugly Gamebryo engine foibles that we've had to suffer through for decades again then I'll only buy the game when it becomes absolutely dirt cheap. When I finally finished Fallout 4's main story I decided I didn't want to play any DLC because I was fed up with the atrocious graphics, game mechanics & horrible NPC's which was surprising to me because I enjoyed nearly everything in Fallout3/New Vegas but for me Fallout 4 was a game too far on subpar tech base like the Gamebryo engine.

It's about time Bethesda reinvests some of the huge profits from Skyrim back into create a modern open world game engine instead of constantly suckling the teat of Gamebryo long after the milk has run dry.

ymoc

Uhhh uh yeah suuu.......

FUCKING TRIGGERED

Who the fuck do you think you are Todd. You know what the most interesting part of Elder Scrolls is Todd??? Its the lore!

And do you realize where this lore is from? The games you directed? NO. Its from Daggerfall and Arena.

And please do tell me who it was again that turned Cyrodill from a interesting jungle into the most generic looking fantasy land ever.... Oh it was you!

So in the words of Dave Chappelle

tumblr_mpnsntBO2D1st3xfjo1_r1_500.gif
Uh....you might want to sit down for a second or two.

Airbus Jr

Banned
They already said that the new games are going to use the Creation Engine, so we can all expect Skyrim 2 and Fallout 77 levels of quality.

You might want to reconsider that

These graphic engine are an evolution that constantly upgraded

Look at old game like old cod game like MW2 and compared it with any recent cod game like Infinity War or BLOPS3 or Uncharted 2-3 with 4 same engine with enhanced technology

Last edited:

Xenon

Once Peter molyneux left someone had to fill the void. Coming off such a major disaster you figure they would be smart enough to keep people's expectations lowered.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Sir, I want to believe them.

I want to.

It s not about what you believe or what you want to believe or any other kind of make-believe wanabe fantasy from gamers but what they stated/ official confirmation.

Its an entirely two separate things from each other

Last edited:

Belmonte

I'm holding out hope it's going to be all of Tamriel, that would be appropriately "next gen" enough and explain why it's taken them so long.

It would also explain his "at least a decade" comment.

Would be awesome but it won't happen. Even the ridiculously ambitious Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall didn't try all Tamriel.

Well...they can make everything smaller, with 3 houses for each city I suppose.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

It s not about what you believe or what you want to believe or any other kind of make-believe wanabe fantasy from gamers but what they stated/ official confirmation.

Its an entirely two separate things from each other

Right, but what if they're lying? What if, tomorrow, they announce Elder Scrolls VI as online only? Can I take them to the promise police? Can I sue them? Will big men tell them can't be a company anymore cause they lied? Do they get thrown out of the industry?

No, nothing happens to them. As long as they make money, they can say what they want.

"Official confirmation" means absolutely squat if people are buying what they're selling.

I'm actually starting to think you're one of Todd's personalities, like in that movie Split. Except you don't eat people, you eat lies.

Stafford

We are going to have to be very patient is what he says about whether Starfield will be a E3 2020 game. That wording kinda makes me scared it won't be a 2020 game.

However, he also reveals that the game has been in development for 3,5 years now and let's say it IS launching alongside the new consoles, the game will almost have been in development for five years and I don't believe any BGS game has been in development that long.

Plus, launching your game with brand new consoles, that is a huge plus. They even spoke about that regarding Morrowind and how it missed the launch of OG Xbox.

But I'm not getting my hopes up, let's just wait and see. It's entirely possible it is a 2021 game.

Can't get excited for anything this dev does. They're on the Square Enix plane of announcing games too early. And on top of that, everything they release is a buggy mess. Yes, the world is huge and so much to do, but shouldn't be an excuse. Use a more stable engine.

Bethesda has a LOT to prove at this point. They are no longer a developer you can count on.

Best to assume they will be horrible disappointments and if by some miracle they aren't... enjoy.

There was a time where they were ahead of the curve for open world games. But then they stagnated and rested on their laurels while many in the rest of the industry surpassed them. They have yet to demonstrate that they have improved. I think maybe they were never really excellent but just first. Can they really make an open world game that can compete with the best that's out there now? I doubt it. It's easier to imagine ES6 releasing and seeming horribly dated.

Prove me wrong Bethesda, if you can.

Riven326

Banned
You might want to reconsider that

These graphic engine are an evolution that constantly upgraded

Look at old game like old cod game like MW2 and compared it with any recent cod game like Infinity War or BLOPS3 or Uncharted 2-3 with 4 same engine with enhanced technology
Yeah. But those games worked.

Stafford

Bethesda has a LOT to prove at this point. They are no longer a developer you can count on.

Best to assume they will be horrible disappointments and if by some miracle they aren't... enjoy.

There was a time where they were ahead of the curve for open world games. But then they stagnated and rested on their laurels while many in the rest of the industry surpassed them. They have yet to demonstrate that they have improved. I think maybe they were never really excellent but just first. Can they really make an open world game that can compete with the best that's out there now? I doubt it. It's easier to imagine ES6 releasing and seeming horribly dated.

Prove me wrong Bethesda, if you can.

Wait, only because of 76? Because personally I quite enjoyed all their games since Oblivion and 76 isn't even a proper BGS game anyway.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Right, but what if they're lying? What if, tomorrow, they announce Elder Scrolls VI as online only? Can I take them to the promise police? Can I sue them? Will big men tell them can't be a company anymore cause they lied? Do they get thrown out of the industry?

No, nothing happens to them. As long as they make money, they can say what they want.

"Official confirmation" means absolutely squat if people are buying what they're selling.

I'm actually starting to think you're one of Todd's personalities, like in that movie Split. Except you don't eat people, you eat lies.

Based on previous main fallout and elder scroll game combined with the failure of F76 theres nothing to sugest that the next game going to be online so chill out

Also you need to sit back with the personal attack

Last edited:

Stafford

Based on previous main fallout and elder scroll game combined with the failure of F76 theres nothing to sugest that the next game going to be online so chill out

I doubt that's gonna happen as well and the game is so far away from us, I really can't be worrying about that. However, Todd Howard didn't specifically say singleplayer RPG. Last year during E3 he said they would go back to their big open world games. I believe he did specifically mention Starfield being SP but called TES VI their big open world RPG or something.

But as for Starfield, in the trademark listing stuff like online and tournaments or whatever was mentioned too. This was before the game was officially announced last year. It's odd.

johntown

Banned
Not sure how I feel about the designed to be played for a decade. This could be good or bad. It it too vague and with no real information or footage on the game it is hard to determine what that actually means. I'm sure that phrase will turn into a meme at some point.

Starfield give me hope for a new fresh sci fi RPG. I cannot wait to see more on this as a sci fi/post apocalyptic genere is what I prefer.

Please don't release either of these games when Cyberpunk releases either as I don't want to have to make a choice on which game will occupy my life.

Fuz

Banned
I'm holding out hope it's going to be all of Tamriel, that would be appropriately "next gen" enough and explain why it's taken them so long.

It would also explain his "at least a decade" comment.
There are either TESO or Daggerfall for that.

Top Bottom