• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How evil is Google opinions rewards?

longdi

Banned
I been giving Google my views and such. Getting paid in cents, but over time, i gotten from it 'free' apps, movies and even books.

Nothing is free imo, im afraid i have gone too far down Google rabbit hole. Should i stop this evil app or continue getting paid for using it?

thief183

I don't have a google account on my Android phone. I use third party pc software to install apps on my phone, Duckduckgo browser on phone and firefox on pc. Dropbox As a cloud service and proteon As a mail service. And open maps. The only social I use is neogaf... it takes a while to get used to it, but it is worth it.

Bullet Club

Keep getting paid. You're in now, no point in stopping.

I've been using it for a couple of years. It just keeps asking the same questions over and over. Got $70 from it.

Brizzady

Banned
Been using it for 3 years. 289 dollars earned so far. All of it went towards HBO subscriptions and movie rentals. My elderly father signed up last year and already made 160 which he used on YouTube TV. Couldn't care less if Google is monitoring me. I aint that interesting.

Stitch

Gold Member
It's asking me the same dumb shit over and over again and I give different answers every time. I still get paid so thanks google.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don't have a google account on my Android phone. I use third party pc software to install apps on my phone, Duckduckgo browser on phone and firefox on pc. Dropbox As a cloud service and proteon As a mail service. And open maps. The only social I use is neogaf... it takes a while to get used to it, but it is worth it.

Worth it how? What have you gained?

thief183

Worth it how? What have you gained?

To be fair I did it more As an experiment than everything else. The only real difference I noticed is that my internet search are more allround and it feels a bit more like the "older" internet. For example I used to open my browser just to brows around and find new stuff, It wasn't the case anymore due to the selective results of google. Having my research pondered for me is not so awesome As I expected. Going back reignite my interest for other things.

Another difference is the inability to check twitter (can't watch it if you are untrackable), and without it the world started to look a good place again.

In the cons side is the navigator.... damn that is a huge cons. Nothing comes closer to Google maps.

Was it worth it? Maybe, it has been only a month, I Plan to do it for at least 6 month and than decide. I'd suggest to setup a second phone and start from there, even a chip phone becoms ultra fast wothout the google apps ^^

I'm on mobile and is a pain to write in english cause it keeps correcting me, I'll correct the errors when I get home;)

Fox Mulder

Who cares what they get from it, they just ask the same dumb questions for years and I get free money.

I just use it for movies that are Movies Anywhere compatible so I can watch them in Vudu.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
You as a data provider, are more of a signal that the machine learning models consume. There is no explicit harm to you. At least no more than if you continue using Google products and services.

Google in general does harm to people because they shape the behaviors of their users in ways that are against their best interest. They use the data that they collect and use it to influence the decisions of individuals by orchestrating search results and advertising. Seeing ads for fast food just as you started feeling hungry? Looking to make extra income and only seeing dead end gigs that are only benfitial to the employer and a negative for the worker? Researching news and only finding results that corroborate your opinions? Blame Google.

Full disclosure. I build these systems, so I am not taking a moral stand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom