• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Graphics worked on the Nintendo DS

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Nintendo DS launched in 2004, with its Dual Screens it was a smash hit for Nintendo, selling over 150 million units. It's graphics subsystem is a combination of Nintendo's proven 2d tile based renderer and for the first time on a Nintendo handheld, introduced 3d graphics in hardware. How does it all work? In this episode we take a closer look.

You produce this series?
Duck Reaction GIF

Last edited:
I really like Nintendo handhelds so this is interesting. Thanks for posting.

That the DS had a hardware feature to easily apply toon/cel-shading is pretty cool. Also, while Super Mario 64 DS didn't feature bilinear filtering, mip-mapping and sub-pixel precision, just being able to play a 3D Mario on the go was impressive and I personally like the dual screen implementation with most games that continued with the 3DS.

Last edited:

Hugare

The last trully amazing handheld from Nintendo, imo

Love the Switch, but the DS was the last one to truly blow me away in terms of new tech for gameplay

"2 screens? You can TOUCH one of them?"

And despite the weak hardware, the library was freaking amazing, with some of my favorite games of all time in it

Will watch

I didn't know 2D graphics were a default on both screens at all times. I also had no idea it could render so few polygons. I could've sworn it could draw a little less than the PS1, but seeing the actual number really surprised me. I guess that contextualizes why the character models look so blocky in some games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's almost amazing how such low tier trash HW can sold so much and honestly the graphic in that Zelda looks abhorrent. Nintendo, not even once.

In 2004 ~ 2006, on a tiny screen, it really didn't look bad at all.

PSP obviously looked way better, but man, fuck those discs.

Pidull

I hated how the 2D in the DS was so capable and developers instead decided they wanted to do shitty 3D limited to 2048 polygons. What on earth were devs thinking?

Sure, it was impressive what the system could do, but I'd rather look at something visually appealing than a blocky model with shit smeared textures.

It's almost amazing how such low tier trash HW can sold so much and honestly the graphic in that Zelda looks abhorrent. Nintendo, not even once.

I love my PSP *battery dies*

But seriously, the PSP was great, but the DS just had a wider variety of B-level games, which is right where I like them. Interesting ideas that were right at home on an easy to develop-for platform, relatively cheap platform. You didn't see stuff like Soul Bubbles or Henry Hatsworth on PSP - it got safe console-style games with very traditional gameplay because of the additional effort needed to make the games profitable. And TBH the hardware (control-wise) wasn't ready for some of them - the PSP needed an actual stick, and two of them at that.

Pidull

I love my PSP *battery dies*

But seriously, the PSP was great, but the DS just had a wider variety of B-level games, which is right where I like them. Interesting ideas that were right at home on an easy to develop-for platform, relatively cheap platform. You didn't see stuff like Soul Bubbles or Henry Hatsworth on PSP - it got safe console-style games with very traditional gameplay because of the additional effort needed to make the games profitable. And TBH the hardware (control-wise) wasn't ready for some of them - the PSP needed an actual stick, and two of them at that.
Good point on PSP's lack of dual analog. After playing Dreamcast vs the other 3, I'm not sure what Sony was thinking with the PSP and going back to single analog.

DS has a treasure trove of unique game ideas brought to life, it introduced many new styles of games and was great for it. The simplicity of the system also meant many of those games were cheap, most games were only $20 early in it's life.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Good point on PSP's lack of dual analog. After playing Dreamcast vs the other 3, I'm not sure what Sony was thinking with the PSP and going back to single analog.

DS has a treasure trove of unique game ideas brought to life, it introduced many new styles of games and was great for it. The simplicity of the system also meant many of those games were cheap, most games were only $20 early in it's life.

Pretty sure most games were $34.99 on DS.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Alright i received warning, so I feel bad, I guess I really need to get some sleeping pills, because I could be quite...ehh...agressive about stuff, when no sleep. It's still my fault tho and I did not type anything since morning, because I genuenly feel bad, because I've been dumb yesterday

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
DS has some surprising limitations - like polygons per frame or the need to be at 60 FPS. It also has 1 bit stencil buffer.

It is, in many ways, a N64 without its filtering, leading to games looking like a PSX. But it is impressive nonetheless.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

The Nintendo DS launched in 2004, with its Dual Screens it was a smash hit for Nintendo, selling over 150 million units. It's graphics subsystem is a combination of Nintendo's proven 2d tile based renderer and for the first time on a Nintendo handheld, introduced 3d graphics in hardware. How does it all work? In this episode we take a closer look.

Duck Reaction GIF

that is the cutest fucking nope ducky i have ever seen in my life

SantaC

The DS would been better without the touch and 2nd screen.

The DS was a success because of its library of games, not its gimmicks

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everybody loves the DS but me, 3D graphics on the PSP were just more intriguing to me.

mcjmetroid

The last trully amazing handheld from Nintendo, imo

Love the Switch, but the DS was the last one to truly blow me away in terms of new tech for gameplay

"2 screens? You can TOUCH one of them?"

And despite the weak hardware, the library was freaking amazing, with some of my favorite games of all time in it

Will watch
The DS is a fantastic handheld and in my opinion it is better than the Switch in library and original ground breaking titles but we can't take away from the Switch's concept.

Taking console games on the go is amazing and just as good and jaw dropping in my opinion as motion control and 2 screens.

mcjmetroid

Maaaaybe the second screen. Of course if we didn't have the second screen we could have had a more powerful handheld.

But not the touch screen. It basically pioneered those style of games for the future especially in mobile games. I know maybe not the best thing thing but its influence is mighty non the less.

And without touch screen it's unlikely we would have got Professor Layton, trauma centre and plenty more.

I hate to say it as well the DS would not have been quite as successful without Nintendogs and then brain training which brought in the casuals.

The difference here though is the DS managed to balance casual and regular gamers perfectly. The Wii didn't.

zoeyfan69

Banned
The DS is really interesting as pretty much the last console to come out that worked the best with, and had a large amount of games be completely pixel art. You see that in like, indie games now, but the DS was specifically built to be *really* good at 2D games, and Nintendo was still having hand drawn 2D sprites in their games. That pretty much completely disappeared after the 3DS came out.

Impotaku

If nintendo had done that it would have been nothing but a fancy gba and probably would have flopped, what made the ds special and such a hit was exactly because of all those features. At first devs really didn't know how to best use those features but by the end there were some incredible games for the ds, add in wifi multiplayer gaming that only needed 1 cart a lot of the time and things got even better. The ds was the last time a gaming device would ever get such a unusual & varied mix of software released the library of games was insane yes there was a lot of shovelware but there was also hit after hit, very unusual & fun games were released just because devs wanted to take a chance & experiment it was like going back to the heyday of the japanese PS1 where they used to take chances on experimental quirky stuff. It also had a library of what i class as utility software, the stuff that were not games like the cooking books and the exam studying revision carts and even stuff like teaching japanese kids how to learn sign language there were a lot of these pieces of software released. Even ones for nurses to take courses in how to look after the elderly, i love this side to the ds too it wasn't just a gaming device it also had other functions.

even in 2021 i still play my ds as much as i ever did, i have been enjoying it ever since that morning it launched when i was online chatting to my friend in japan to keep him company as he waited at the toys r us near his house to open to pick up his and my launch unit. This was the start of my DS collection, i still kept the pics i took of when my launch unit arrived from japan and what games i picked up on it's release. I still have everything in this pic.
XItzuaU.jpg

10 plus years later my collection exploded into this, this pic is a few years old now there's a lot more games been added since then. I passed the 400+ games point about a year back, even now i'm still finding games i missed. Also been picking up more hardware too as i want to make sure i have enough spare backups of various ds models & colours to last a lifetime. My collection is uncommon as i pretty much focused on japanese games but there are some euro & usa exclusives i never got around to getting i'll expand upon those regions at some point.
T9bHOzf.jpg

8NJAnPM.jpg

My most recent pickup was finally getting my hands one one of the single screen ds units used to relay the nintendo zone wifi service in games shops. As the servers are long gone i can't use it for that anymore however i can still use it as a ds download station with the complete usa set of demo download carts, would love to get the pokemon distro carts but they are just too expensive.
lGduIpN.jpg

liykYYA.jpg

damn i miss talking about the ds since the official thread got sent into the archives and locked on here.

CamHostage

...the PSP was great, but the DS just had a wider variety of B-level games, which is right where I like them. Interesting ideas that were right at home on an easy to develop-for platform, relatively cheap platform. You didn't see stuff like Soul Bubbles or Henry Hatsworth on PSP - it got safe console-style games with very traditional gameplay because of the additional effort needed to make the games profitable.
Naw, there were tons of B-level games on PSP well worth playing. (I still plug mine in sometimes for some of the PSP Minis I have on there, as well as a couple disc titles worth playing still.) Games like Crush and Gripshift and Gunpey and LocoRoco and Patchwork Heroes are plentiful, those kinds of games just never pulled out of the traffic of the mainline titles the way they managed to on DS (although the creators of Soul Bubbles or Henry Hatsworth I'm sure could look at their DS sales and tell you why you didn't see such unique titles tried on anything but the biggest-selling gaming platform of all time, and even then...)

You're right that there was nothing about the PSP's control design that you couldn't do on another console, which I do agree led to fewer developers trying things that had never been done anywhere else. (I do wish Mercury had shipped with the planned motion sensor, but then again, is that not just kind of a gooey version of Kirby's Tilt n Tumble?) And as far as "cheap platfom", I'm not sure that was the case? Printing a DS cartridge versus a PSP UMD probably favored UMD unless you had a very small cartridge (which most very small developers did,) and then once online distribution came in, I'm guessing PlayStation was the better financial partner if the game could sell (and given PSP MInis could also be PS3 games, there was a chance there as well, though nobody would be caught dead playing a sub-480p game on a big screen.) PSP dev kits were also I believe cheaper, and you could use familiar middleware like Renderware and UE2 to build titles. Developers liked making DS games because there were things they could do with it not possible anywhere else, but publishers only let developers do it because the platform was massively successful, and they still kept the reins on developer's costs (including ordering only lower-end cartridge sizes) to make sure their production quality ambitions didn't keep pace with their creative ambitions.

Love my DS, and I really enjoy the tasteful picks of titles that show why the system deserved all the success it earned (albeit 99.99% of that success was for the mainline games, it's just that the DS redefined "core games" with mainstream titles like Nintendogs and Brain Age that came about thanks to the DS input technology,) but I have to stand up for my beloved PSP sometimes too. As long as you had enough room in your backpack to not need to choose between the two, it was a great time to be a gamer!

Last edited:

Unknown?

At the time it was the only handheld with an analog stick though. I thought it was nuts even having one back then.

If nintendo had done that it would have been nothing but a fancy gba and probably would have flopped, what made the ds special and such a hit was exactly because of all those features. At first devs really didn't know how to best use those features but by the end there were some incredible games for the ds, add in wifi multiplayer gaming that only needed 1 cart a lot of the time and things got even better. The ds was the last time a gaming device would ever get such a unusual & varied mix of software released the library of games was insane yes there was a lot of shovelware but there was also hit after hit, very unusual & fun games were released just because devs wanted to take a chance & experiment it was like going back to the heyday of the japanese PS1 where they used to take chances on experimental quirky stuff. It also had a library of what i class as utility software, the stuff that were not games like the cooking books and the exam studying revision carts and even stuff like teaching japanese kids how to learn sign language there were a lot of these pieces of software released. Even ones for nurses to take courses in how to look after the elderly, i love this side to the ds too it wasn't just a gaming device it also had other functions.

even in 2021 i still play my ds as much as i ever did, i have been enjoying it ever since that morning it launched when i was online chatting to my friend in japan to keep him company as he waited at the toys r us near his house to open to pick up his and my launch unit. This was the start of my DS collection, i still kept the pics i took of when my launch unit arrived from japan and what games i picked up on it's release. I still have everything in this pic.
XItzuaU.jpg

10 plus years later my collection exploded into this, this pic is a few years old now there's a lot more games been added since then. I passed the 400+ games point about a year back, even now i'm still finding games i missed. Also been picking up more hardware too as i want to make sure i have enough spare backups of various ds models & colours to last a lifetime. My collection is uncommon as i pretty much focused on japanese games but there are some euro & usa exclusives i never got around to getting i'll expand upon those regions at some point.
T9bHOzf.jpg

8NJAnPM.jpg

My most recent pickup was finally getting my hands one one of the single screen ds units used to relay the nintendo zone wifi service in games shops. As the servers are long gone i can't use it for that anymore however i can still use it as a ds download station with the complete usa set of demo download carts, would love to get the pokemon distro carts but they are just too expensive.
lGduIpN.jpg

liykYYA.jpg

damn i miss talking about the ds since the official thread got sent into the archives and locked on here.

That's beautiful :messenger_loudly_crying:

I've got somewhere around 200 DS games now. I actually played a good and beat a good chunk of them too, because it was my main console in most of college because of how cheap the games were. I got a lot of them for $10-$15. I've got mostly US, though I have some Japanese imports (stuff like the Ouendan and AAI2, although I actually have that AA1 LE and Ni no Kuni DS too) and Europe-only releases (Last Window, Inazuma Eleven). Once I get into a decently-sized place I'm going to have a wall filled with games lol.

I've started buying some extra hardware too - I've got an extra OG DS and a spare DSi. I want to get another DSL at some point too because mine's shoulder switches are shot. I probably could replace them, though.

I never even thought about getting the demo carts - that's rad. It's great seeing those preserved like that.

D.Final

Banned

Duck Reaction GIF

Memories of the old years

Top Bottom