• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How I Met Your Mother Season 7 |OT| Weddings guaranteed, The Mother...not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
StuBurns said:
Fair enough, I'm not hating, just saying, I think she looked better before:

936full-ashley-williams.jpg
My god

Kingsora said:
Yeah because she is clearly so fat...

8KeR0.jpg

Btw I would do her every day of the week:
Btw I can't remember one love interest that was more attractive than Victoria.
Stella? Nope, she's a little bit old.
Robin? Nope
Zoe? Well at least not in the show, I hate her with blond hair
Karen? Ahum, no way

The only one that would make a chance is Rachen bilson, but she wasn't really a love interest.

You're into chubby girls, that's cool.

StuBurns

Banned
Deadly said:
Agreed, she definitely looked better before.
Yeah, and I'm sure she'll look great in the upcoming episode. I'm not pulling some sharp knee crap, I would **** her in her ******* ******* *** **** for ******* ******** hours, at which time I'd mixed it up with a little *******, followed by some **** *** **** and *******, then call it a day with just a smidgen of ********.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Calling it now: Victoria steps back from her work table and is revealed to be pregnant. Ted gets closure.

Cwarrior

brucewaynegretzky said:
Barney will not marry Robin. It was too heavily foreshadowed. I could be wrong about Victoria, but Barney will not marry Robin. I'm confident of that. Robin is gonna end up with the guy who married Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica.

Wrong, am calling it now,

barny will end up with robin(which sucks),the wedding his at, is his and that laura girl.

Jasoco

Banned
Okay, I just watch the episode again and WTF, guys? Victoria is not fat. Or even chubby. She looked exactly the same as she did in the clips that followed. What episode were you all watching?

Maddog

Jasoco said:
Okay, I just watch the episode again and WTF, guys? Victoria is not fat. Or even chubby. She looked exactly the same as she did in the clips that followed. What episode were you all watching?

No.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Everyone on the show looks a little haggard if you compare how they look on Season 1 and now (as we're doing with Victoria).

Kingsora said:
Btw I can't remember one love interest that was more attractive than Victoria.
Stella? Nope, she's a little bit old.
Robin? Nope
Zoe? Well at least not in the show, I hate her with blond hair
Karen? Ahum, no way
WHAAAAAATTTTTT

And Sarah Chalke is only 35. That's not old at all...

Oh God just caught the first two episodes what the hell have they done to my characters. Robin went from a cool, laid-back, independent woman who likes to drink scotch to a high-schooler pining after Barney like some airhead for absolutely no reason. Marshall went from a silly but lovable goof to...I don't know what the hell his character is these days. And Barney turned into.....Ted. They actually took the best character on the show and turned him into the worst character on the show. And Ted turned into a lamer version of Ted. Lily went from supportive friend and loving fiancee to "I'm only here for the baby subplot no one wanted". And what's with the random dance number? Am I watching High School Musical?

This is some Office S2 -> Office S5 level of disappointing.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So I just re-watched that episode.You can see her tummy clear as day and its pretty flat. My guess, the actress had a kid IRL since then and still has some chub on her arms.

big ander

vicissitudes said:
Oh God just caught the first two episodes what the hell have they done to my characters. Robin went from a cool, laid-back, independent woman who likes to drink scotch to a high-schooler pining after Barney like some airhead for absolutely no reason. Marshall went from a silly but lovable goof to...I don't know what the hell his character is these days. And Barney turned into.....Ted. They actually took the best character on the show and turned him into the worst character on the show. And Ted turned into a lamer version of Ted. Lily went from supportive friend and loving fiancee to "I'm only here for the baby subplot no one wanted". And what's with the random dance number? Am I watching High School Musical?

This is some Office S2 -> Office S5 level of disappointing.
No way, Ted's great now. From these two episodes it seems like he's gone from confirmed douchebag to actual romantic. Robin's the same. Barney's still making womanizing jokes but now he's actually chasing just one girl, which is something they've been building for seasons. I don't think it hurts his character much. Robin's certainly showing some weakness with Barney, but this episode she smoked a cigar and drank whiskey and said inappropriate things with Ted and embarrassed herself in front of Lily a bunch. Pretty much her normal self for all 7 years. I can't even think of how Marshall's changed for you. He's pretty damn consistent.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
spindashing said:
WHAAAAAATTTTTT

And Sarah Chalke is only 35. That's not old at all...
I just don't think she is a hot as she used to be, not saying she's ugly or something.

Man, seeing Victoria again just got me nostalgic for the first season. Bach before everyone didn't turn into bad caricatures of themselves.

Still the season opener was pretty good. I hope they don't pull another pointless story like Zoey...like seriously what the heck was the point of her?

eastmen

Banned
Crewnh said:
Man, seeing Victoria again just got me nostalgic for the first season. Bach before everyone didn't turn into bad caricatures of themselves.

Still the season opener was pretty good. I hope they don't pull another pointless story like Zoey...like seriously what the heck was the point of her?
they need something for ted to do. Zoe was just filler for him. They need to introduce the mother soon

big ander said:
No way, Ted's great now. From these two episodes it seems like he's gone from confirmed douchebag to actual romantic. Robin's the same. Barney's still making womanizing jokes but now he's actually chasing just one girl, which is something they've been building for seasons. I don't think it hurts his character much. Robin's certainly showing some weakness with Barney, but this episode she smoked a cigar and drank whiskey and said inappropriate things with Ted and embarrassed herself in front of Lily a bunch. Pretty much her normal self for all 7 years. I can't even think of how Marshall's changed for you. He's pretty damn consistent.

Ted was already a romantic back in season 1. When he stole the blue French horn, the coat rack girl at the club, Victoria, the rain dance. Sure some of it was kinda lame, but that is a hopeless romantic. The Ted in S7 has 1. stood in front of a magazine stand all day trying to pick up girls and 2. date two girls behind their backs and trying to be a player.
He said he first needed to become the person he had to become before meeting the mother, but it seems like he's regressing as a character more than anything. Who would rather marry the douchebag Ted we saw in the first two episodes of S7 over the Ted in S1?

Where to start with Robin. What the hell was that high squeaky voice? Cringe-worthy. "Oh no I have a crush on someone and I can't admit it so I'll say it in this really high-pitched voice." What is she, 12?

While the show has been building Barney towards being more monogamous, the Nora arc makes no sense. The show has been pushing him towards Robin for a few seasons now (notably in Season 4, including the episode where his mother gives him advice on finding someone). Then all of a sudden Nora shows up, Barney barely knows her, but is somehow head-over-heels in love with her?

Marshall used to be a big silly fun-loving guy, and full of confidence. He even teases Barney from time to time for good fun, even though Barney is the archetypal cool character. In S7 Marshall seems...well kind of pathetic. He worries about his job, whether he's going to be a good father or not, and acts like an alcoholic. Basically a cardboard cutout of any white male in his early thirties.

At this point it's clear the show has run out of ideas so the writers are just cranking out a bunch of episodes based on lazy jokes and a string of "will-they-won't-they" with as many different pairings as they can muster. Take the Robin-Barney-Nora triangle. Robin secretly likes Barney but he likes Nora and asks advice from Robin. She helps him because she wants to be a good friend but is secretly torn inside. Where have I seen this scenario before? Oh right, every single sitcom I've ever watched. Or, the wedding scene where Barney chooses the tie (by the way Ted, I'm not really talking about the tie). It's the same joke in S4 where Barney asks Ted about a suit that Ted tried on but didn't like but Barney really likes the suit (by the way the suit is Robin). I mean they're recyling their own jokes for Pete's sake.

soultron

Banned
Watched the first 2 episodes. Unless the Victoria thing is dealt with in a few episodes, I don't want them to waste an entire season on her so that Ted can learn some profound lesson and still have her not be the mother.

It's really time to wrap this shit up. I'm still enjoying myself but not nearly as much as before. I'm pretty much watching out of obligation at this point -- I simply must know who the mother is.

StuBurns

Banned
soultron said:
Watched the first 2 episodes. Unless the Victoria thing is dealt with in a few episodes, I don't want them to waste an entire season on her so that Ted can learn some profound lesson and still have her not be the mother.

It's really time to wrap this shit up. I'm still enjoying myself but not nearly as much as before. I'm pretty much watching out of obligation at this point -- I simply must know who the mother is.
It's a one off appearance, not a season arc.

stilgar

soultron said:

The problem to me come from the fact that the two episodes were awkward in almost every scene.

Barney dancing with Robin: what
Ted almost crying because he's not married after he sees a baby: congratulations, you are once again a loser!
Barney sleeping in the restaurant: not funny at all
Lily and Robin getting HYPER EXCITE because Ted want to make a pros/cons chart: the very definition of awkwardness

And it goes on. I love this series, and some seasons did not start well and became awesome. But that was definitely not a good start.

eastmen

Banned
vicissitudes said:
Ted was already a romantic back in season 1. When he stole the blue French horn, the coat rack girl at the club, Victoria, the rain dance. Sure some of it was kinda lame, but that is a hopeless romantic. The Ted in S7 has 1. stood in front of a magazine stand all day trying to pick up girls and 2. date two girls behind their backs and trying to be a player.
He said he first needed to become the person he had to become before meeting the mother, but it seems like he's regressing as a character more than anything. Who would rather marry the douchebag Ted we saw in the first two episodes of S7 over the Ted in S1?

Who would really want to marry Ted from season 1 ? There wasn't much to him aside from being a hopeless romantic .

I'm also not sure he is a douche in the first two episodes. He was in a magazine and tried to play it to his advantage at first because he was excited about it .. who wouldn't do that ? But by the time of the wedding he moved on from it.

As for the two girls , he was just dating them casualy , it was implied he didn't make it up to touching their boobs. Alot of people will go out on first dates with multiple people at once. If you notice he never moved past a first date with either of them.

Where to start with Robin. What the hell was that high squeaky voice? Cringe-worthy. "Oh no I have a crush on someone and I can't admit it so I'll say it in this really high-pitched voice." What is she, 12?
They were just showing that when she gets nervous she is bad at lying to her friends. It wasn't great by any means but doesn't change robin

While the show has been building Barney towards being more monogamous, the Nora arc makes no sense. The show has been pushing him towards Robin for a few seasons now (notably in Season 4, including the episode where his mother gives him advice on finding someone). Then all of a sudden Nora shows up, Barney barely knows her, but is somehow head-over-heels in love with her?
It was shown a few times that he still had feelings for robin and he is using Nora as a way to move past those feelings. He is ready to commit to someone but robin and him parted ways and in his mind (from various things in the past season) she doesn't want him back. So now he is trying to move on with Nora.

Also if you watch season one carefully you can see many times where they push barney towards Robin . She is basicly his dream girl and has been from the very first season.

Also its not the first time barney has done something really stupid for love. He flys to get lilly back for Marshal .

Marshall used to be a big silly fun-loving guy, and full of confidence. He even teases Barney from time to time for good fun, even though Barney is the archetypal cool character. In S7 Marshall seems...well kind of pathetic. He worries about his job, whether he's going to be a good father or not, and acts like an alcoholic. Basically a cardboard cutout of any white male in his early thirties

So what do you want him to be ? A fun loving guy in his 20s ? This is the shows 7th season , the time for that is passing as it does with any adult . I just turned 30 , all my friends are around 25-35 and i can count on 1 hand how many still go to bars and I don't need any fingers to count how many of them that are married still go to bars or are even in a long standing relationship.

I think we have a good sampling of diffrent types of people in their 30s. You have Marshel / lilly who are married and expecting ... live slows down.

You have barney who has met someone they might want to settle down with and are breaking away from their partying ways.

Then you have Ted who was never a big partier who is single and playing the field.

At this point it's clear the show has run out of ideas so the writers are just cranking out a bunch of episodes based on lazy jokes and a string of "will-they-won't-they" with as many different pairings as they can muster. Take the Robin-Barney-Nora triangle. Robin secretly likes Barney but he likes Nora and asks advice from Robin. She helps him because she wants to be a good friend but is secretly torn inside. Where have I seen this scenario before? Oh right, every single sitcom I've ever watched. Or, the wedding scene where Barney chooses the tie (by the way Ted, I'm not really talking about the tie). It's the same joke in S4 where Barney asks Ted about a suit that Ted tried on but didn't like but Barney really likes the suit (by the way the suit is Robin). I mean they're recyling their own jokes for Pete's sake.
most fans would consider them call backs. Because thats what they are.

My friends and I have old jokes we dust off from time to time too. Its what happens.

The show has certianly droped in quality since season 4. But i don't think it really has to do with any of what you said above.

The real reason for the drop is because Ted is stuck in a holding patern. Every season we start with him single , he finds a love interest that isn't the mother and then he is single again.

Personaly I wish he met a girl last season who was actually interesting instead of zoe and that releationship lasted into this season a bit , just to give him some long term sucess .

With Ted stuck in a holding patern you have the other characters feeling miss placed.

Ted still kinda feels like ted from season 3 but barney , marshal , robin , lilly have all grown up from their original season 1-3 characters.

The show really needs to introduce the mother this season

hiro4

I think Victoria looks a bit off, due to the dress, how she wears her hair and maybe even the camera.
I have no idea when they shot this, or the episodes of Warehouse 13, but in Warehouse 13 she still looked as hot as ever.

eastmen

Banned
hiro4 said:
I think Victoria looks a bit off, due to the dress, how she wears her hair and maybe even the camera.
I have no idea when they shot this, or the episodes of Warehouse 13, but in Warehouse 13 she still looked as hot as ever.

well HIMYM was 2006 for her . Ware house 13 was 2011

My guess is she had a kid or is having one.

LM4sure

Banned
Maybe her being fat is part of the plot line. Ted really likes her, but he can't get over how fat she got. Then he realizes he can't marry a fat chick, end of plot line.

Guzim

LM4sure said:
Maybe her being fat is part of the plot line. Ted really likes her, but he can't get over how fat she got. Then he realizes he can't marry a fat chick, end of plot line.
After seeing her, Ted says "I won this break-up."

eastmen

Banned
would have been happy never seeing the slutty pumpkin.

I guess this is the season of resolving all the unresolved things in his life

eastmen said:
Who would really want to marry Ted from season 1 ? There wasn't much to him aside from being a hopeless romantic .

They were just showing that when she gets nervous she is bad at lying to her friends. It wasn't great by any means but doesn't change robin

It was shown a few times that he still had feelings for robin and he is using Nora as a way to move past those feelings. He is ready to commit to someone but robin and him parted ways and in his mind (from various things in the past season) she doesn't want him back. So now he is trying to move on with Nora.

Also if you watch season one carefully you can see many times where they push barney towards Robin . She is basicly his dream girl and has been from the very first season.

Also its not the first time barney has done something really stupid for love. He flys to get lilly back for Marshal .

Ted: Better in season 1 than now. More whiny, more cynical, and standing in front of a magazine stand picking up chicks is definitely a loser move.

Robin's character flaws (if you can call them that) are being too Canadian and too independent/career-oriented. Nothing about her personality suggests that she would be bad at lying.

Barney: nothing about your post explains why he's so hung up on Nora of all people. If it were Robin it would make sense, not Nora.

So what do you want him to be ? A fun loving guy in his 20s ? This is the shows 7th season , the time for that is passing as it does with any adult . I just turned 30 , all my friends are around 25-35 and i can count on 1 hand how many still go to bars and I don't need any fingers to count how many of them that are married still go to bars or are even in a long standing relationship.

Just because he's a few years older doesn't mean his personality changes completely. He goes from positive and confident to insecure and kinda depressing.

most fans would consider them call backs. Because thats what they are.

The show has certianly droped in quality since season 4. But i don't think it really has to do with any of what you said above.

The real reason for the drop is because Ted is stuck in a holding patern. Every season we start with him single , he finds a love interest that isn't the mother and then he is single again.

Callbacks are when you allude to a past joke not copy it completely; it's lazy, not clever.

Ted started single and went through many love interests throughout the first 4 seasons, it's nothing new. It's not why the show has dipped in quality. (biggest reason probably being the writing has gotten worse and they're running out of ideas)

Also I wish they would have left the Slutty Pumpkin alone as I have no confidence in the writers doing any of their previous characters justice at this point.

At least the actress is hot.

eastmen

Banned
vicissitudes said:
Also I wish they would have left the Slutty Pumpkin alone as I have no confidence in the writers doing any of their previous characters justice at this point.

At least the actress is hot.

She was hot like 10 years ago. She looks hagard now .

But then again slutty pumpkin happened a few years before season 1 and its now 7 years since . So i'm guessing it could be a good 8 or 9 years since slutty pumpkin

eastmen

Banned
vicissitudes said:
Ted: Better in season 1 than now. More whiny, more cynical, and standing in front of a magazine stand picking up chicks is definitely a loser move.

and standing on a roof top in a old halloween costume wasn't a loser move ? How about throwing 3 parties in a row for a girl who said she isn't interested in you ? Those are all loser moves .

Robin's character flaws (if you can call them that) are being too Canadian and too independent/career-oriented. Nothing about her personality suggests that she would be bad at lying

I dunno , she has some personality flaws , she totaly stoped talking to her friend from her teen idol days over a guy if i'm remember correctly . Lilly has also caught her lying in past seasons

Barney: nothing about your post explains why he's so hung up on Nora of all people. If it were Robin it would make sense, not Nora.

Why wouldn't he like Nora , she is smart , funny , hot and she plays laser tag . Seems like a good chick to go after when the one you want isn't avalible .

Remember he fell for robin because she also shared some of his hoobies.

Just because he's a few years older doesn't mean his personality changes completely. He goes from positive and confident to insecure and kinda depressing.

How could he not become insecure . Not only did he buy a condo that is messed up and sinking or whatever the heck is wrong with it , but he has Lilly's debt to deal with , he has a child and up until the second epsiode of this season he had no job. Oh yea and his father died late last season.

Of course he is going to be kinda depressing and insecure . Now that he has a new job and the baby on the way perhaps the writers will start to go back happy cool marshal .

But why are you upset that they actually have a character reacting properly to the situation he is in ?

Callbacks are when you allude to a past joke not copy it completely; it's lazy, not clever.

Call backs work both ways. We had the goat in one season and it came back in another . Thats considered a call back even though its the same joke .

Ted started single and went through many love interests throughout the first 4 seasons, it's nothing new. It's not why the show has dipped in quality. (biggest reason probably being the writing has gotten worse and they're running out of ideas)

The point is we went through six seasons of ted in this same pattern .

Season 1 we got victoria and season 2 we got robin . Both were really interesting love interests . In season 6 we got Zoe .

THe reason they are running out of ideas is because the main character is stuck in a holding pattern .

Look at it this way. He still lives in the city above the bar where he has been living since college ended .

What about his house ? Why don't see him start to move into that house , why don't we see him living with one of these gf's for a change , it may make for interesting pre mother story lines.

It seems to me they are holding both of these major events for when the mother comes on the scene

Mudkips

Banned
eastmen said:
Ted still kinda feels like ted from season 3 but barney , marshal , robin , lilly have all grown up from their original season 1-3 characters.

The show really needs to introduce the mother this season

Nope. They haven't grown up, they've become one-dimensional comic foils. And so has Ted.

There's no actual character for them to play foil to anymore, so they're all just the extreme stereotypical archetypes now.

The entire premise of the show was supposed to be that Ted was the insipid foil, reflecting off of the characteristics of his friends, and eventually coming of age and becoming an actual person.

Marshall is fun.
Barney is power (sex and career).
Lily is faithfulness.
Robin is adventure.

Ted has to accept the gradual decay of these things as he grows up and eventually meets his wife and starts his family. The biggest points of drama (and points of growth) for Ted were when each of his friends betrayed their role to him:

Marshall getting married and spending all his time with Lily.
Lily ditching Marshall and going to that art school.
Robin putting a reality check on the stupid spur-of-the-moment move to Brazil or wherever plan.
Barney didn't have any high conflict with Ted yet, and probably won't since Neil Patrick Harris stole the show. The most they've had has all been purely comical - competing for chicks and then drunkenly fighting for another shot at Robin, or Ted being a failure architect and having to work for GNB.

The show needed to introduce the mother at the end of season 2, and run a third season leading up to their wedding, and be done with it. Instead it's gone on half a decade too long and now everyone is Milhouse.

maharg

idspispopd
vicissitudes said:

Honestly? I think most normal women. S1 Ted wasn't romantic, he was needy.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Mudkips said:
Barney didn't have any high conflict with Ted yet, and probably won't since Neil Patrick Harris stole the show. The most they've had has all been purely comical - competing for chicks and then drunkenly fighting for another shot at Robin, or Ted being a failure architect and having to work for GNB.

Their fight over Robin was pretty bad. About the worst thing that could possibly happen between two best friends, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom