• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important are the pro / x1x / ps4 / X1 face offs to you?

Garmadon

Neo Member
I enjoy the "face off" videos by digital foundry. They are well produced and it's always enjoyable to watch people do something they are passionate about. I don't get quite as geeked up on some of the differences they spot,but the fact that they do is interesting. I have particular been interested in the back compat stuff and HDR implementation

If both consoles would have come out at the same time for the same price then these comparison videos would have meant more to me.

But is anyone actually shocked a system comes out a year later and $100 more because of newer tech outperforms the Pro?

I've seen this narrative thrown around so much now. The Pro had it's run on multiplats for a year. Now it's time to see what happens the next few years especially with Sony's stellar exclusives coming soon. It's not shocking to see the comparisons but it is interesting to see how some developers use their skills on the different hardware. People paid $100 more for a better system. They got it. No shame in that.

I've seen this narrative thrown around so much now. The Pro had it's run on multiplats for a year. Now it's time to see what happens the next few years especially with Sony's stellar exclusives coming soon. It's not shocking to see the comparisons but it is interesting to see how some developers use their skills on the different hardware. People paid $100 more for a better system. They got it. No shame in that.

Who said there was shame in it?

The guy said we shouldn’t be so shocked and blown away each time X has better multi-plat; and he’s right

X is doing what it should be doing

The guy said we shouldn’t be so shocked and blown away each time X has better multi-plat; and he’s right

hyI9ItE.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I have the X, more then 1 in fact, and love how it runs my game, wasnt trying to shame anyone for buying it.

Just stating the latest more expensive tech had better win everyone one of these showdowns and not shock anyone in the process.

watdaeff4

If people act shocked yeah that's silly.

For me since I now have both I do enjoy the comparisons as even though X gives better resolution, it's appearing that same games the Pro has more stable frame rate?

Also I would like to know the magnitude of differences as some games I think the DS4 is better suited for than the XB controller (I hate the bumpers) and if the visual differences are close I'm going to get the game on the Pro

Fbh

I'm sort of interested in the comparisons between the core consoles and their mid gen upgrades. It's interesting to see in which ways the Pro and X1 improve games compared to the base consoles.
As for X1X vs Pro. I think it was interesting to see the first few articles and get to see how it compares to the pro. The question was always how much of an improvement it was going to be over the pro and it's clear that it's quite considerable.

But now? It just seems like fanboy trolling. Like,¡... yeah, the more powerful console has the best looking console version of multiplatform games. It's not news, it's the obvious result of a game running on stronger hardware.
I see it the same as PC hardware. At first it's interesting to see how the new cards compare to the older ones. But we don't really need a thread every time a GTX 1070 runs a game better than the GTX 970

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Before the xbox x Sony fans couldn’t wait to post comparisons while Xbox fans moaned.. now it’s the exact opposite. I don’t see any problem with that.

Humdinger

Somewhat interested. I want to see the actual level of difference, Pro vs. X1X. I take it for granted that X1X will win all multiplat comparisons, but I'd like to know exactly how big and prevalent the differences really are. In other words, will developers put extra time and effort in, to make the X1X versions so much better?

But I'm sticking with the Pro and PSVR for the remainder of the gen. No interest in getting an X1X.

They aren't tbh. I'm fully aware that the standard will go XB1 > PS4 > Pro > XB1X

I'm under no illusions and have no desire to purchase another machine right now so the comparisons make no difference to me really.

JordanN

Banned
I like them to know what enhancements are available, but can do without the fanboy theatrics.

What's funny about the fanboy theatrics is that they're doing all this cheerleading for free.

Somewhere out there, Kaz Hirai and Phil Spencer are having a beer and pointing at a computer screen saying "look these fools dancing up and down seeing who can screech the loudest over our video game boxes".

I learned a long time ago that every company should be criticized because you as a customer should always expect better from your product instead of being complicit and congratulating you platform of choice for doing the bear minimum of providing you with a service.

meerak

I don’t care.

Sometimes though, you can learn a little from the videos in terms of how visuals work in modern games.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I just care about good games regardless of performance. If a game isn't 4K but plays great that's all that matters.

nowhat

As a new owner of the Pro, does it give any benefit to Bloodborne at all?
Sadly, no, not really. It doesn't have a Pro patch, so what you're left with is "boost mode" (that you had to turn on manually at some point, not sure if that's the case with current firmwares?) - which would help if the issue with Bloodborne would be frame rate (it is, at very select points, so Pro on boost mode fares better there), but the main issue is poor frame pacing, and boost mode doesn't help there.

As to the topic - I watch DF frequently, even videos of games I've no interest in playing (or on platforms I do not own), just out of technical curiosity. But especially if it's a game I'm going to get. I don't mind a few dropped frames here and there (DF can be very anal - that's their job and I respect them for it, but I'm more tolerant), but I do like to know if I'm going to get Lichdom Battlemage.

mad597

Banned
Before the xbox x Sony fans couldn’t wait to post comparisons while Xbox fans moaned.. now it’s the exact opposite. I don’t see any problem with that.

Yep it is so obvious how sony fans cant move the goal posts fast enough to get away from DF face offs.

mcmanic

its important to me, i like to have the best of everything, hence i own a ps4 pro, xbox one x and a switch along with a gysnc 27 inch monitor and hi spec pc and a 49inch samsung hdr 4k tv for the consoles.

BibiMaghoo

The base console comparisons are relevant and wanted. The premium models compared with each other is relevant and wanted. Comparing a base console with a Pro or X is daft and useless.

Truth hurts. Seriosuly though where was all this self reflection earlier in the gen when Sony fans were counting blades of grass in GTA and proclaiming 900p VS 1080p the end all be all?

The timing of these arguments and talks of "diminishing returns" are disingenuous and simply coming from a fan base having to pivot to a different bullett point cause their favorite console brand no longer excels in these faceoffs like they used to. Sony fans taking their ball and going home.

They weren't priced accordingly which is a big reason why it was such a big deal at launch. It was a big WTF moment to find out the Xbox One was $100 more but weaker hardware. It was like, "Hey spend $100 more for the inferior console for no reason!, plus its double the size with an included power brick!"

The One X definitely out performs the Pro, but Its just less of a story now with the $100 ($200 on BF) difference actually going in the right direction this time plus the year difference in launch.

amdb00mer

To be honest, not too important. my friends are on Xbox Live, so no matter what I was always going to get the multiplatform version of a game on Xbox. I just find them interesting and sometimes fascinating to see what a developer was able to accomplish across multiple systems with the same game.

cereal_killerxx

I'm good with my launch PS4 and X1. Graphics still look amazing to me. I do watch the videos from time to time though for entertainment.

mad597

Banned
They weren't priced accordingly which is a big reason why it was such a big deal at launch. It was a big WTF moment to find out the Xbox One was $100 more but weaker hardware. It was like, "Hey spend $100 more for the inferior console for no reason!, plus its double the size with an included power brick!"

The One X definitely out performs the Pro, but Its just less of a story now with the $100 ($200 on BF) difference actually going in the right direction this time plus the year difference in launch.

The 100$ difference was due to kinect. When xbox dropped bundled in kinect the prices evened out.

It can be less of a story but the gap is now wider and sony fans are trying damn hard to pretend early gen face offs didn't happen.

The 100$ difference was due to kinect. When xbox dropped bundled in kinect the prices evened out.

It can be less of a story but the gap is now wider and sony fans are trying damn hard to pretend early gen face offs didn't happen.

Which nobody cared about and completely ignored thus it just looked like it was $100 more expensive for no reason to 99% of consumers. Also, based on the power differences, it should have been cheaper than OG PS4, not on par with it.

Agreed, face offs are still great and relevant, just pointing out the optics of the pricing at the time, Microsoft only had themselves to blame.

deathsaber

I actually get annoyed that all articles/talk seem to be about comparing Pro/X/PC these days for any new game and its really hard to find any word on OG PS4/Xbone performance these days, which is madness because, you know, there is still probably 80-90% of the userbase playing on these consoles at plain old 1080p, and I'd still like to know what kind of performance we are getting.

As someone who owns both an X & a Pro they are pretty useful for me. I can take it as face value most 3rd party games will run better on the X but then you get the odd one which hasn't been taken care of properly.

Since the games are the same price for both consoles, I want to pay for the better version, no matter how slight.

I have a high end PC that can play the majority of releases but I gave up gaming on it a long time ago. I found myself tweaking more than playing and it was driving me crazy. PC gaming can become a weird obsession with numbers, VERY fast.

Blood Borne

Before answering, lets take a walk down memory lane for a minute.

If we go back to previous gens you had the ps3 / 360 face offs that really took hold. But lets ask ourselves why? To me back then, and truly you can say the same for every gen, but you really needed both or all consoles to fully take part in all the exclusive games.

then you had to make a decision on what console to play your third party titles on.

the ps3/360 gen really put this to the forefront, more then any other gen IMO. With High definition TV's, now 4k tvs, pixel counting, frame rates all on the buzz word hot plate.

Digital foundry, NXgamer, lens of truth etc. countless time researching last gen to figure out which platform to buy a third party title on. PS3 and 360 were so different in terms of architecture, yet so close in end results. These reviewers influenced my buying behavior tremendously. I may be in the minority with that statement but that is what was happening.

But lets fast forward to this gen. Personally I have found myself less concerned with which platform plays a game better. Is it because they are so close in architecture that it doesn't matter? Is it because ps4 was a bit more powerful then x1, so we already knew what every face off would be? Now that we have a x1x and ps4pro does the same rule apply now? That the x1x is just that more powerful then pro that we already know that is the best platform.

The top question also needs to be discussed that do we in this gen really need all the consoles like last gens? The MS machine and the sony machine is so close this gen that at times ive wondered if I just blew money for the hell of it because of past gens, only realizing that both consoles are virtually the same now. +/- few frames +/- pixels here and there. You could pick one or the other and be perfectly content.

Now we have the x1x and the pro. Two mid generation upgrades a year apart in terms of release date, but also internal components. We know the x1x is the superior console with the newer internals, but do we really need to have both consoles taking up space under the tv? Do we really need the faceoffs to tell us how many more pixels each is pushing? How important is having all three consoles gracing your living room these days?

Or is Bowler just getting old and cranky, and i need to apply to AARP, then worry about what people do with there money.

Face off are so unimportant. Price and games will always be more important to the public.

Breakage

The vast majority don't give a shit. When you look comparisons on the average tablet or smartphone, they both look near enough the same. Most people will not care about a few extra shadows here or some more grass there.

Gitaroo

After week one, zero, I already know to get all multi platform games on oneX without any need to check. Normally I don't mind minor graphical difference and if I started a series on one platform I would continue to get it on the same platform but when you are comparing ultra texture and 50+% jump in res then fuck that. I am not paying for an inferior product when an superior one is available for the same price. Cheapstake Sony shouldn't have cheap out on the vram, who the fuck thought a mere 512mb bump is enough for 4k assets let along going pass 1080p. The system would have put up a much better fight if they had included an extra 4gigs vram. The 20-50 bucks they saved on the ram = hundreds of revenue lost from royalty from me from this point on. Fucking cheap shit.

I'm not interested in the updated consoles since I don't have a 4k screen or HDR. Other improvements seem very minor, especially when compared to the required investment. Maybe some day when it's an affordable option for PC, I'll buy new equipment, but not any of the current consoles. In terms of consoles, I'm already invested in PS4, so don't really care about any other differences, and I play most games on PC anyway.

Seems to me many people are focusing too much on these updated consoles. Most people would not benefit much from upgrading to them.

Kyry

I find a lot of value in the ps4 vs pro face offs. But yeah, I know I'm not gonna buy an Xbox one version of a game I can play on ps4.

RavageX

Ahem.

Don't give a damn.

Not a little bit of a damn, a big bit of a damn, medium sized damn, no damn at all.

If the game performs the way it supposed to, looks good, etc then I'm good. Don't care if it looks better on another console, especially if I don't have that console.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
if you read most post on a face thread when people criticise one console over another the poster generally says that they have both consoles or a console and high end PC. so I would guess these videos are important as it informs which is the best version to buy, or people could be just full of shit and defending the console they own lol

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I find the outliers interesting. The Xbox One X should win every one. When it doesn't, it at least illustrates where optimizations are needed.

People patting themselves on the back for owning a console that runs at 30fps vs 30fps with half second drops to 29fps tho. Uh... Congrats.

JaxBriggs

Not important to me at all to be honest. The only time I do find them interesting is when we get surprising results, like if the more powerful hardware is for some reason showing the inferior version.

Same as back when the occasional PS3 game ended up the better version, as rare as it was. It's interesting looking into those examples and seeing what the causes may be for any performance issues and if they get patched over time.

Alebelly

They're interesting to read sometimes. Sometimes I'm curious how a a game runs on different platforms.

I think a couple times its helped me decided between PC or console.

Way more interesting last gen. Watching the Cell get wrangled.

Watching the importance flip flop depending on console allegiance is hilarious as well.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Not at all really unless there is a huge issue. Anything that you need 300% magnification to really tell the difference doesn't matter to me.

I do like when I see that all versions have been treated well though. Gives me confidence in the actions of certain devs to know I can pre-order their games without worrying about a cruddy version.

geordiemp

I think that I am jeolous if the X1 can do 60 and pro is at 30 FPS, but not seen it much, if at all thanks to Jaguar.

Even with a 55 inch LG OLD B7 I just dont appreciate the diminished returns over 1440 and so dont give a crap.

I have shown zero interest in Pro optimisations after about a month after launch and have no idea which games are 1440, 1800, 2160 or checkerboard, I really dont care and just look at frame rates for 10 seconds and move on, and this has been that way for months before X was even launched.

We really need a Ryzen console soon, as zooming in on rocks or textures that I cant see in normal play does nothing for me, Good HDR is more pleasing, and would love some PC frame rates on console.

I think that I am jeolous if the X1 can do 60 and pro is at 30 FPS, but not seen it much, if at all thanks to Jaguar.

Even with a 55 inch LG OLD B7 I just dont appreciate the diminished returns over 1440 and so dont give a crap.

I have shown zero interest in Pro optimisations after about a month after launch and have no idea which games are 1440, 1800, 2160 or checkerboard, I really dont care and just look at frame rates for 10 seconds and move on, and this has been that way for months before X was even launched.

We really need a Ryzen console soon, as zooming in on rocks or textures that I cant see in normal play does nothing for me, Good HDR is more pleasing, and would love some PC frame rates on console.

Agreed, increased resolution doesn't matter to me but if it were to be 30 fps vs. 60, then I'd have to take the plunge and buy the better hardware.

I just care about good games regardless of performance. If a game isn't 4K but plays great that's all that matters.

Yeah I don’t really care about resolution either. I feel they still look really good at 1080p. I don’t have a 4K TV yet and not sure when I’d be getting one so for me at least, all I care about is the software output for each console and Sony has been delivering this gen. Nintendo has been pretty great so far too, really excited to see what they have for next year.

Journey

Banned
Not at all really unless there is a huge issue. Anything that you need 300% magnification to really tell the difference doesn't matter to me.

I do like when I see that all versions have been treated well though. Gives me confidence in the actions of certain devs to know I can pre-order their games without worrying about a cruddy version.

Why do people talk about magnification in comparisons as if you won't be able to see it on your 75" UHD TV? lol. DF and other do this to highlight "WHY" it looks so much sharper, something you might not be able to see on a 2" x 2" thumbnail, therefore magnification is used.

Why do people talk about magnification in comparisons as if you won't be able to see it on your 75" UHD TV? lol. DF and other do this to highlight "WHY" it looks so much sharper, something you might not be able to see on a 2" x 2" thumbnail, therefore magnification is used.

There's definitely an argument for the common folk that seem to watch 40-50" TV's 10-20 feet across their living rooms, but yes on a 75" UHD TV at the proper viewing distance, you should be able to see it.

I'm waiting on true 4K projectors to drop in price for this reason, 110" screen will definitely have more of an effect than a dinky little 40 or 50" tv.

Top Bottom