• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important is it for you that next gen systems are backwards compatible?

jorgeton

Very important. It should be a mandate that next gen consoles be BC with at least this gen's games (and PS1/PS2 for the PS4). They have the technology to do it, not doing it would be a slap in the face to gamers.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
For digital releases and trophies/achievements it is a must.

Oreoleo

Agreed, god I hope I can put my Wii's Virtual Console games to WiiU..... Knowing Nintendo who knows though. I have spent about $300 on that thing.

There isn't an official channel (not like the channels on the Wii OS, but channel as in "a method or means to make this happen") to transfer VC purchases between two different Wii's without using an SD card, and you expect to be able to transfer them to WiiU?

Unlike PSN/XBL, Wii's digital distribution isn't tied to user accounts so the chances of that happening are extremely remote. The day I realized that was the day I stopped using Wii's DD.

Satoho

Banned
Damn right, backwards compatibility, that means more IPs and less rehashing to me. 7th gen is probably the least original gen EVER!!!

Extremely important. In fact, since I never bought a 360, I'd likely buy a 720 at/near launch if it has 360 BC. Slightly less important for Nintendo and Sony since I own their current gen consoles, but it not being there would definite set back any Wii U or PS4 purchase of mine until there were several "must-have" titles available for them. Not being able to play PSN and VC games on the successor consoles would be a deal breaker - between those services I've spent £150-£200 on content.

There isn't an official channel (not like the channels on the Wii OS, but channel as in "a method or means to make this happen") to transfer VC purchases between two different Wii's without using an SD card, and you expect to be able to transfer them to WiiU?

Unlike PSN/XBL, Wii's digital distribution isn't tied to user accounts so the chances of that happening are extremely remote. The day I realized that was the day I stopped using Wii's DD.

there wasn't an official way to transfer between 2 dsi but they still made a way to transfer to the 3ds, so of course there'll be a way to transfer Wii to Wiiu

Muffdraul

My original post was re: this current gen having BC to previous gens. If this question is specifically about next gen, that's much less of an issue for me. As long as next gen means playing on the same TV I've got now, then I don't give a shit. My current consoles aren't going anywhere. If I want to play old games, I'll do so on them.

I'm not holding my breath that Sony will include PS2 BC on the PS4, but I really hope they do. Sony, change your dickish ways.

Anteater

I may not pick up a Wii U without backward compatibility

It's important to me because I don't buy all the consoles, and it's nice for when my old systems die even if I do. I was just lucky my ps2 still works this gen, so I didn't really mind the lack of BC on the ps3.

Arcteryx

It's definitely a positive move, but it won't stop me from purchasing if it's not included.

I'm honestly pretty burnt out from the current-gen, and aside from a VERY small amount of games, I wouldn't touch this gen again.

I may not pick up a Wii U without backward compatibility

It's important to me because I don't buy all the consoles, and it's nice for when my old systems die even if I do. I was just lucky my ps2 still works this gen, so I didn't really mind the lack of BC on the ps3.

Wiiu is already confirmed as backwards compatible

Dead Man

If they expect me to buy in the first few months, it is hugely important. Otherwise I will wait for a price cut or three and finish off my PS3 backlog.

It's really important. One, if I'm upgrading then I want to be able to clear out space. It's kind of hard when I need to keep old consoles around to play older games. The other reason is that if companies want to have these insane copyright laws then I want my purchases to last throughout there lifetime under protection. If a game becomes unplayable after launch because no system will run it then fuck, I'll just pirate it.

I'm wondering how many companies worked on making their libraries backwards compatible for the 360. Pretty pissed off that there was so much talk about updating the BC list overtime and then they just stopped. The PS3 multiple system thing confuses the hell out of me and it's one of the main reasons I don't own one yet.

If you want the consumer to support you then you also gotta support the consumer.

Pimpbaa

Not important. Still able to use my DD stuff would be nice, but I already sold my 360 a couple years ago and I didn't mind losing my stuff on that. Once I go to a new generation, I generally don't look back.

Oreoleo

there wasn't an official way to transfer between 2 dsi but they still made a way to transfer to the 3ds, so of course there'll be a way to transfer Wii to Wiiu

How was the DSi solution implemented?

If there is a backwoods method to getting VC games over to WiiU (eg, SD card), that's a goods first step. But what happens when your WiiU breaks and you don't have the original Wii those games were downloaded on anymore? Without a way to look up what games you 'own' (since they aren't tied to an account), those purchases are lost forever.

MC Safety

It's important to promote a sense of continuity and to reward customers for years of loyalty.

I have a collection of Xbox games I'd like to revisit. And I'm building a collection of Xbox 360 titles that I don't want to discard the minute the next unit comes out. This is to say nothing of the downloadable titles I've purchased.

Sony and Microsoft both dropped the ball when it came to backward compatibility. I'd like to see both address this issue with the release of their new consoles.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
How important is it for you that next gen systems are backwards compatible?

If it is provided by a console form a company that I LOVE (no matter what) and the competition happens not to have it or not guarantee it, then it is a matter of life and death to me. It is an indication of my favorite console company’s dedication to customers, environment, and humanity in general. It is also an indication of competing console maker becoming greedy, betraying their loyal customers and in summary not having a shred of decency toward human civilization.

If on the other hand my favorite company does not provide it or throw it away as soon as it saves them a couple of bucks (despite mocking the other company for not providing backward compatibility just a few months ago), then I am perfectly ok with it. I can always go back to my old console to use my old games, it is a waste of money that can otherwise be used to lower the cost of my favorite console so more people can get what I got and reaffirm my purchasing decision (even if I got it at higher price).

So,.. it depends when you ask me.

Fjordson

Not sure really. I guess if conituing with the same XBL and PSN profiles and systems counts as backwards compatibility, then it definitely is.

But as far as the actual games? I couldn't care less. I won't be playing any of them.

The_Monk

It is important for me.

If the PS4 can play PS3 games I could sell my PS3 and get the PS4 sooner, otherwise, I'll wait for the price drops and keep hoping my PS3 to stay alive. Same with the 360 and other systems.

I would love to play new and old game on one system only.

L00P

It would be nice if my games would not become obsolete when a newer system comes out. So yeah..it's important to me

It is EXTREMELY important for me!

I just LOVE to dig out some older games from my library to put into my currently hooked up systems and just game away!

i remember a ton of great games on Cube that i played on my Wii for instance, i even specifically bought one of the last remaining Wii models that still have BC for this reason since the new ones don't anymore :(

XOMTOR

Not really for me as I wasn't convinced digital distribution was something to be taken seriously on consoles. The only digital purchase I made on PSN is Flower, everything else is disk and I always keep old consoles.

Now DD is the norm for me on PC; love me some Steam. Of course BC on PC isn't really anything to worry about, in fact it's great running old games on new hardware. Playing through Silent Hill 2 again but this time running widescreen in 1080p with 3x3 supersampling; pretty damn nice.

JaseMath

Extremely important. Especially in the case of my PS3...I'm running an old 80GB fatboy. It's already been replaced once and I don't want to have to replace her again. Especially so close to the end of the generation.

Seik

Banned
Very, very important. If your next-gen console is not BC, then you have to rely on your old one to run all your previous gems, yeah ok...no big deal most of us will say. But when that old console will die, you have two choice:

-Buy another console, aka wasting money on something you already spent on. It can be a solution, but the more time passes, the more pricy/rare and unreliable these consoles will get.

-Emulation, but some consoles don't even have emulators (first Xbox, for example). That goes without saying that if you don't have a beast PC, for Dolphin as example, you're screwed.

So yes, BC is fucking important if you are a legit lad who wants to play his games on the consoles made for them. I was like that, Dolphin changed my philosophy by making the games hundred times better than the original console versions.

Atomski

what if everytime a new windows came out it blocked your old programs windows xp-->vista--7---8? you could no longer play halflife 2 because of it, and if they did make it available to the new windows, they would charge you for it .you guys saying you want new experiences what if your PC suddenly cut out old games
If this was the case then PC gamers could easily just set up a multi boot to load up older versions of Windows. Luckly we don't need to.. but it is an option.

Funny enough I don't think the average PC gamer would pay for the same game again to run it on a newer OS/Hardware. Unless of course its a complete remake.

NeoUltima

I think BC is becoming more and more crucial. My collection is growing, and I still play my old games. More importantly, I cannot rely on consoles of today to last. Machines are much more complicated and fragile than they were back in the day.

In theory the digital games should be easy for bc right? Just use your same xbl/psn account on the next console with all the items you got being intact and just download them.

Pretty important. I have a huge catalog of current gen games that I actually go back to and replay on an annual basis. I've found that even though I have a ton of PS2 games that I would like to play through again, I couldn't be bothered to dig out the PS2 and set it up.

Wasn't there some talk about the next Xbox being optimized for backwards compatibility? I think they were calling it "Forward Compatible" and it made 360 games look better on the 360 follow-up.

Top Bottom