• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is it possible that Telltale's engine is this awful

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just can't wrap my head around it. This engine is barely doing anything... it seems like it could run at 60 fps on a PS2.

Yet, here I am playing Game of Thrones on an Xbone, and the engine can barely handle a steady 30fps. It's constantly stuttering as well. It's downright pathetic.

This engine is doing so little one would assume that a next gen console could at least brute force it's way through the awful code, but this thing is so badly programmed even brute force doesn't work.

Who the hell is in charge of the programming team there? How has this been allowed to fall into such a pathetically broken state?

They really need to shake things up and at the very least get this engine to run at a steady frame rate.

Escalario

Banned
Because people keep buying their games Day 1 no matter how buggy/glitchy their games are. They seem to get a free pass.

Surprised to hear that to be honest. I know it ran like shit on last gen consoles but their games ran fine for me on PC, and Tales from the Borderlands was super smooth on PS4.

If they want to continue their success they eventually have to change this. It's something many people are saying are the reason they are avoiding their games despite enjoying the genre. I know it's certainly holding me off some of their titles.

Adamas

Neo Member
Hey, it's what you get when customers preference goes to story before gameplay/graphics ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree. It is hard to understand how they get such a pass. Their games BARELY run. Walking Dead Season 2 on PS4 was especially bad. How have they not fixed this by now?

I always wondered this too. I mean these telltale games are barely games in the first place and more like interactive movie. And its not loading a lot of textures and the graphics are not that impressive but yet only PC can play these games at 60 fps. Do they do it on purpose for that "cinematic" feeling? But then why allow 60 fps on PC?

Spot

The framerate was absolutely horrible in the Ps3 versions of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. Ruined two good games from me.

yeah I played Walking Dead Season 1 on PC, and decided to buy Wolf Among Us on PS3.

Walking Dead ran well on PC, but Wolf was pretty shitty on PS3 in terms of performance. They should really update their shit.

It's crap on last gen, but I just bought and played Borderlands on PS4 to completion and had 0 problems. Pleasant surprise, is it running at 60fps?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
My lady and I were playing GOT and even she who doesn't really play games often was like "this looks awful holy shit."

They're very janky outside PC. Heck, you can't even pass one section in the Vita version of Walking Dead Season 1 without dying at least once. It lags so bad that the button timer prompt is over before you even see that you actually have to press something. I just had to mash buttons while it was loading the next scene.

Even then, you can encounter save issues in many versions. Telltale never fixed any of them.

Fox Mulder

it's such shit and they get a pass because of licenses and stories.

I refuse to buy their games going forward after having issues with multiple games on multiple platforms. Audio sync, shitty framerate and stutters, even character models not loading.

2San

I agree. It is hard to understand how they get such a pass. Their games BARELY run. Walking Dead Season 2 on PS4 was especially bad. How have they not fixed this by now?
Their post-launch support is really bad afaik. I'm just steering clear from Telltale till they get their shit together.

TWD s1 on my Vita had multiple hiccups and slow fps. Not sure how S2 is but there was a section were you had to time pressing an certain button and wasn't able to successfully pull it off for a while due to the game stuttering and freezing. Got it eventually but it was frustrating as hell.

Are these turn based games where the input lag caused inconsistent framerate will not impact gameplay?

They're adventure games where you do a bare minimum of walking around. Most of the time you just select dialogue options, but once in awhile they'll force you into a quick-time event where you have to follow button prompts.

Ragona

I was considering to get GoT and Borderlands on the PS4 for the comfort...Are they running ok atleast? Could get them on pc if it is thad bad

Christian

Got The Wolf Among Us for Vita this past Christmas. It's a great game, love the source material and it's a much better than adequate addition to that universe. But holy CHRIST the game runs like butthole. The game crashed on me twice. Thankfully, both times, it was at the beginning of a chapter so I just had to close out and reload. The QTE "battles," however, sheesh - the engine lagged so significantly that there wasn't enough time to correctly respond. I never died as a result, but only because the game's pretty forgiving.

TWAU runs great on my Macbook Pro - usually framerates between 40-60 fps at 1280x800 with everything on high + AA, on an integrated graphics card.

I wonder if it's just on consoles.

I was considering to get GoT and Borderlands on the PS4 for the comfort...Are they running ok atleast? Could get them on pc if it is thad bad

Yeah I'd like to know how GOT runs on PS4. I had assumed it would run well, but now I'm not so sure...

sn00zer

Wolf Among Us on PS3 crashed more than 10 times on me and hard locked 5 times. Numerous audio glitches, pausing, stutterin....its a shit show

Kinyou

Yeah, I don't get it. I thought that the programmers are maybe just so comfortable with the current one that they don't want to switch, but I can't really imagine that this engine is a joy to work with.

It's a new golden age of shitty framerates. Dragon Age: Inquisition and Alien: Isolation, the two games I wanted to play during the holidays, both turn into slideshows during cutscenes. The first one from experience, second one allegedly.

The sad part is that when they release Minecraft it'll sell bazillions of copies and they'll have even less need to upgrade the engine.

Hmm, playing walking dead on the ps4 at 60 fps and its buttery smooth same with all their games I've played on pc so I'm not so sure it's the engine in this case.

see5harp

I really don't understand why they just don't adopt something like UE3 or UE4 for all of their games. I really don't understand what in their engine enables them to work faster or more effectively using their own piece of shit. I think they have enough jobs at this point to pay for an engine that will run great on all platforms.

Fjordson

Tales from the Borderlands was super smooth on PS4.
Really? Man, very tempted to pick that up (season pass is $15 on PSN right now). People I know who have played it say the first episode was surprisingly great.

Sadly I'm a little hesitant to support Telltale at the moment because their other games have been a total mess technically for me over the past year or two.

If they want to continue their success they eventually have to change this. It's something many people are saying are the reason they are avoiding their games despite enjoying the genre. I know it's certainly holding me off some of their titles.

I've wanted a new engine for a while, but GoT was the first game I found way too ugly to pick up.

Top Bottom