• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Nintendo hurt by not doing an E3 press conference?

Lunar15

Great post that's all true but an effectively managed press conference can do a lot more good than any ad campaign/recorded video. An E3 stage demo is your biggest opportunity to shape your narrative in the more mainstream gaming outlets. Sony's press conference at E3 wasn't great because of the content (I actually think Microsoft 's showing was generally better) but because of the audience reaction to certain things they announced. It was the cheering at the Sony presser that cemented that whole DRM issue as a big deal and that became the biggest story coming out of E3 and defined the pre launch media cycle. All the fist pumping fantasy football bros on TV Microsoft could buy weren't enough to turn the narrative.

If Nintendo are confident that their next Zelda game is going to be amazing, they should demo it live at E3. Wowing an E3 audience can do wonders at generating hype because it is a spontaneous reaction. Ubisoft did that with Watchdogs and it still helps the game get attention even after the delays.

I think you're missing my point that message trumps delivery. Why were people cheering at the sony press conference, and not as much at the microsoft conference? Because what Sony was saying resonated far more than what Microsoft had to say. That groundwork was already laid long before the press conference even happened.

I'm not saying that press conferences aren't effective. I'm just saying that they're not really the issue here, and it's kind of weird that we're associating Nintendo doing bad with not having a press conference.

Banned
For me, my local newspapers and news stations (Toronto) usually never talk about gaming until E3. They also talked about it when Sony and Microsoft had their XB1 and PS4 reveal events. Nintendo only gets exposure from E3.

213372bu

Banned
So like I said above, they just need to pre-record a "live show" with sounds of a roaring crowd and it'll be a total success.

People like you are the whole reason a fair argument is being derailed.

Most people bought consoles based on hype and promise. Ex: Everyone who bought X1/PS4 Day One or within the first few months.

ND doesn't provide that same hype.

Riki

Most people bought consoles based on hype and promise. Ex: Everyone who bought X1/PS4 Day One or within the first few months.

ND doesn't provide that same hype

Every Nintendo Direct thread on GAF disagrees.

one_kill

ND doesn't provide that same hype.

For me, my local newspapers and news stations (Toronto) usually never talk about gaming until E3. They also talked about it when Sony and Microsoft had their XB1 and PS4 reveal events. Nintendo only gets exposure from E3.
Let's stop making generalisations based on subjective perception.

They're competing more efficiently by eliminating the chance of live on-stage problems like the Skyward demo and embarrassments like Ravi drums.

By controlling the space where they broadcast to the internet, they control the post-show, they give links to related videos, you see exactly what they want you to see. It's a better way to compete.

So what you're telling us is Nintendo shouldn't hold a press conference because they're too incompetent to pull one off without making embarrassments of themselves?

The public isn't one homogeneous group though. The people who gain negative perception due to this are by and large not people who are likely to care about Nintendo in the first place- they're not part of Nintendo's core demographic

Nintendo screwing up and losing the core demographic of gamers (18-34) is why they're in this mess to begin with.

213372bu

Banned
Every Nintendo Direct thread on GAF disagrees.

Most of it is manufactured hype and is widely hyperbole-ized/ironic and meant for the laughs.
Nobody actually expects megatons or the like in NDs.

Also, NDs on GAF aren't representative of "gamers" much less the entire internet.

So what you're telling us is Nintendo shouldn't hold a press conference because they're too incompetent to pull one off without making embarrassments of themselves?

Nintendo screwing up and losing the core demographic of gamers (18-34) is why they're in this mess to begin with.
I'm not convinced they ever had those demographic in the first place. It's more like the people currently in that demographic were kids when Nintendo was huge and drifted away and they grew up. I don't think the 18-34 demographic was actually that significant back when Nintendo was super dominant

The argument is that spectacle is what's needed, so who cares if the spectacle is real, off somewhere where you can't actually experience it, or simulated?

They could produce something that looks just like a "live show" and there won't be any basis for complaint. Nintendo gets to eliminate any possibility for problems during the event, it looks just like the other conferences, no more issue.

Honestly I think you're trying to marginalize the idea because you know it resolves the problem and reduces the whole complaint down to nothing. If spectacle is all you need, then hell, show a pre-recorded spectacle.

Anura

Most of it is manufactured hype and is widely hyperbole-ized, is ironic and meant for the laughs.

Also, NDs on GAF aren't representative of "gamers" much less the entire internet.

I like how you make these broad sweeping generalizations without anything to back it up. Are you sure you're not just imposing your own anecdotal experiences onto this discussion?

I'm not convinced they ever had those demographic in the first place. It's more like the people currently in that demographic were kids when Nintendo was huge and drifted away and they grew up. I don't think the 18-34 demographic was actually that significant back when Nintendo was super dominant

It's a fair point, I've often thought that gamers grew up and Nintendo didn't.

one_kill

Most of it is manufactured hype and is widely hyperbole-ized/ironic and meant for the laughs.

Manufactured hype? What?

Boss Mog

When you don't really have any new games to show, there's really no point in having a conference is there? It's not like they could stretch a trailer for Zelda Wii U into a 90 minute conference. Makes sense to skip it.

Boss★Moogle;110014408 said:
When you don't really have any new games to show, there's really no point in having a conference is there? It's not like they could stretch a trailer for Zelda Wii U into a 90 minute conference. Makes sense to skip it.
Again lol. This is getting out of order haha

213372bu

Banned
Yeah, that's a really good point in favor of putting less emphasis on the stage show.
E3 is about specialized marketing with the added bonus of it being reporterd through media outlets.
Manufactured hype? What?

I like how you make these broad sweeping generalizations without anything to back it up. Are you sure you're not just imposing your own anecdotal experiences onto this discussion?
Tell me what isn't ironic in the least:
D: D: D:

king k rool about to be unleashed

lets get hyped

Reserved for megatons and new Mario and Zelda and Metroid and X surprise release on the eShop tomorrow.

Cant wait for Sumo Digital-made F-Zero.

Will announce F-Zero U, Zelda U, Waverace U, Metroid U

WiiU:
Kid Icarus Uprising HD
Metroid Prime 4
Xenoblade HD
THe Last Story HD
F-Zero GX GD
Wave Race Blue Storm HD
Final Fantasy VII HD
Skies of Arcadia HD
Shenmue 3
Super Mario Galaxy HD Collection
Star Fox
Super Mario 3D World DLC
Dragon Quest X

3DS:
Bravelier Default
Majora's Mask 3D
Super Metroid sequel
A Worlds Ends with You 2
Dragon Quest VII

ALL ABOARD!

GAF HYPE. LETS DO THIS

METROID PRIME 4
MARIO GALAXY HD COLLECTION
MAJORAS MASK 3DS
X
FIRE EMBLEM X SMT

Mushroom Kingdom Cup 2014, launching in June

Mario Strikers Wii U YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Don't get me wrong, I've been genuinely super hyped in the SSB ND thread, seriously look at what I wrote I was super hyped, but the once every 2 month-sh ND doesn't actually have much going for it.

Boss★Moogle;110014408 said:

That's definitely true. If they didn't have any games to show, there would be no point in airing a Direct, you're absolutely right.

Furyous

They're looking very Nokiaish right about now.

They need to come out strong with something at E3. The diehard fans can only carry the company so far. They won last gen, let it go to their heads, and blew their load too early with the Wii U. One day I'm going to nerd rant on the collosal ectasy ED that was the Wii U's release. Seriously, next gen starts when "we" say it does, eh? That shortsighted statement was foreshadowed the future.

Nintendo is hurt by losing more mindshare to Microsoft and Sony. We've yet to see both companies really let loose. The gap in what appears to be premium gaming, in my opinion, will only widen as the big bring better games to the table. Nintendo has to shift gears at some point and win back the core.

Nintendo is frustrating me at the moment and need a strong E3 to win back gamers to their side. Literally look at the quality of a Forza or an Infamous 2 and compare it to the strongest Nintendo title. They've got their work cut out for them.

I'm waiting for the next CEO to change gears or drop a burning platform memo.

DNAbro

They need to come out strong with something at E3. The diehard fans can only carry the company so far. They won last gen, let it go to their heads, and blew their load too early with the Wii U. One day I'm going to nerd rant on the collosal ectasy ED that was the Wii U's release. Seriously, next gen starts when "we" say it does, eh? That shortsighted statement was foreshadowed the future.

Nintendo is hurt by losing more mindshare to Microsoft and Sony. We've yet to see both companies really let loose. The gap in what appears to be premium gaming, in my opinion, will only widen as the big bring better games to the table. Nintendo has to shift gears at some point and win back the core.

Nintendo is frustrating me at the moment and need a strong E3 to win back gamers to their side. Literally look at the quality of a Forza or an Infamous 2 and compare it to the strongest Nintendo title. They've got their work cut out for them.

I don't think Nintendo has to worry about beating the quality of those two games. Nintendo has not had a problem with quality games. It's the system itself that is hurting the company.

Am I the only one that actually kinda liked the format of the ND last year? It trimmed the very excessive fat off of bloated, unnecessary, image-conscious hype and just showed games. I'd rather have this and would love it if Sony and Microsoft took this approach and just said, "you know what? Instead of 2 hours of bullshit, here's the 45 minutes you actually fucking care about."

Riki

Why? Nintendo's had dozens of titles that have outsold those two. Combined.

I don't think Nintendo has to worry about beating the quality of those two games. Nintendo has not had a problem with quality games. It's the system itself that is hurting the company.

The games play a role too. While lack of third-party support is probably their biggest issue overall, they have little currently to appeal to people who aren't fans of platformers.

Somebody was trying to argue earlier that the bloat is extremely important because it builds anticipation for when the really cool stuff gets announced.

I'm pretty sure he got laughed out of the thread.

You're a peach.

Am I the only one that actually kinda liked the format of the ND last year? It trimmed the very excessive fat off of bloated, unnecessary, image-conscious hype and just showed games. I'd rather have this then I would love it if Sony and Microsoft took an approach like this and just let said, "you know what? Instead of 2 hours of bullshit, here's the 45 minutes you actually fucking care about."

Personally, I felt they lacked a loud host talking about 'Lady Boners'. Or a Battlefield demo that took 10 minutes to work.

Am I the only one that actually kinda liked the format of the ND last year? It trimmed the very excessive fat off of bloated, unnecessary, image-conscious hype and just showed games. I'd rather have this then I would love it if Sony and Microsoft took an approach like this and just let said, "you know what? Instead of 2 hours of bullshit, here's the 45 minutes you actually fucking care about."

Somebody was trying to argue earlier that the bloat is extremely important because it builds anticipation for when the really cool stuff gets announced.

I'm pretty sure he got laughed out of the thread.

one_kill

What the fuck is manufactured hype?

I don't get it. Are you saying that people posting what they want creates hype? And that hype is unwarranted because it's unrealistic? People who see those posts don't know it's unrealistic so their hype is fake and only meant for laughs?

So you're picking apart select comments, of which are full of crazy wishes and sarcastic jokes that even those not familiar with Nintendo output know that it's just silly, to illustrate a mass manufactured hype that plagues gaf.

I don't even.

213372bu

Banned

I don't get it. Are you saying that people posting what they want creates hype?

So if I said, "STAR FOX WII U C'MON NINTENDO!", during a ND, I'd be manufacturing hype?

It means nobody is actually hyped for K.Rool in SSB and nobody is actually hyped for Superman 64 HD collection. Manufactured hype was the wrong word but it definitely isn't genuine. Plenty of people , like me, are genuinely hyped in ND threads but nobody is actually hyped to the point where they think these forgotten games are releasing tomorrow on eshop.

McHuj

That fact this is even being debated is proof that it is having a negative impact on some. Maybe it's not many, but it will still impact some.

Since Nintendo is in a poor position, it's seen as a retreat and a sign of weakness and will be spun as such. If Nintendo had left E3 during Wii's prime, the story's would have been different.

They're admitting defeat by not even trying to impress potential owners. Maybe they have nothing new to announce. Who knows. It's a mistake no doubt about it.

How is it a mistake nintendo had a ton of games last year at e3.

Pokemon X & Y
Legend of Zelda A Linkl Between Worlds
Super Mario 3d World
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Wii Party U
Wii Fit U
Super Smash Bros U
Donkey Kong Country Tropical freeze
Legend OF Zelda Wind Waker HD
X

They actually showed off as many first party titles as they usually do

DNAbro

I don't get it. Are you saying that people posting what they want creates hype?

So if I said, "STAR FOX WII U C'MON NINTENDO!", during a ND, I'd be manufacturing hype?

Manufactured hype is a way of saying "I am not excited for "x" game, and no one else is either so any hype for it is being manufactured by the company."

see titanfall.

E3 is about specialized marketing with the added bonus of it being reporterd through media outlets.

Don't get me wrong, I've been genuinely super hyped in the SSB ND thread, seriously look at what I wrote I was super hyped, but the once every 2 month-sh ND doesn't actually have much going for it.
Post makes 0 sense..

Super Mario 3D world was better recieved than either of those games. The problem is that the type of games Nintendo specializes in don't appeal to most of the 18-34 crowd, and they never had. The market changed as gaming became more and more acceptable to mainstream adult audiences, but Nintendo still specializes in the same things they always did. Nintendo still produces game as high in quality as they ever had. It's just a brand of quality that doesn't appeal to most of the gaming market, especially now that smartphones have begun to eat away at the child and casual audiences. And it's not as simple as Nintendo shifting their focus to a new audience, because Nintendo has no experience with that audience and the type of games they like most. Nintendo has always appealed to younger or nerdier audiences. The difference is that nowadays those audiences aren't the bulk of the gaming industry anymore. Nintendo's games are mostly fantasy or scifi type settings that are far removed from realism, but what mainstream audiences want is the clocked up to 11 realism. As a comparison, the types of games mainstream gamers want now is the same as the type of movies that become huge successes, and most of the time that isn't the silly or fantastical type of movie. Even stuff like comic book movies that are successful do so by adding more elements of realism and drama to the comic book setting. Most action movies that are successful don't take place in fantasy settings. You'll get a few big scifi stuff, but even that is mostly still taking place on Earth and not in fantastic other worlds, which is the type of stuff NIntendo specializes in

Riki

That fact this is even being debated is proof that it is having a negative impact on some. Maybe it's not many, but it will still impact some.

Since Nintendo is in a poor position, it's seen as a retreat and a sign of weakness and will be spun as such. If Nintendo had left E3 during Wii's prime, the story's would have been different.

But... they aren't leaving E3. Their presence at E3 is stronger than ever...
Which is why this entire debate makes no sense.

one_kill

It means nobody is actually hyped for K.Rool in SSB and nobody is actually hyped for Superman 64 HD collection. Manufactured hype was the wrong word but it definitely isn't genuine.
What's wrong with having a little fun?

I do it all the time. I list all these random "wants" whenever a ND happens. I don't expect any of them to be announced nor do I expect anyone to believe what I've posted.

People get hype because of the potential and hopefully what was revealed.

Mory Dunz

How is it a mistake nintendo had a ton of games last year at e3.

Pokemon X & Y
Legend of Zelda A Linkl Between Worlds
Super Mario 3d World
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Wii Party U
Wii Fit U
Super Smash Bros U
Donkey Kong Country Tropical freeze
Legend OF Zelda Wind Waker HD
X

They actually showed off as many first party titles as the usually do

I find it funny that if the January direct didn't announce those far off games,
and they were instead announced at E3 (X, WWHD, SMTxFE, Yarn Yoshi, etc), everyone would be saying E3 2013 was one of Nintendo's best ever...

213372bu

Banned
What's wrong with having a little fun?

I do it all the time. I list all these random "wants" whenever a ND happens. I don't expect any of them to be announced nor do I expect anyone to believe what I've posted.

People get hype because of the potential and hopefully what was revealed.

Sure and I join the hype train as well, but in comparison to E3 conferences, I just can't see the similarities.

McHuj

But... they aren't leaving E3. Their presence at E3 is stronger than ever...
Which is why this entire debate makes no sense.

For the gaming press that's fine, for bigger mainstream outlets (like perhaps USA Today) won't pay attention too that. The story Wednesday morning will be MS showed this, Sony did that, and Nintendo wasn't even there.

erawsd

I think in a world where most people learn about enthusiast news through a trending topic on twitter, the power of "spectacle" is slightly overrated. I think it has a place. Trust me, I'm a strong believer in crafting a compelling narrative. But remember that everything's getting condensed to a hashtag at some point, so your message better be strong enough to make an impact beyond the conversation about the rapper you hired to perform at your event.

Of course, I agree that its a bit over rated. Thats why I discount the idea that E3 is necessary to attract the general media -- who even cares about the general media anymore? I do still think the way you present information is important, I think that in some small way enthusiast sentiment bleeds into the mass audience, and these things help drive those trending topics -- not just for the hour or day its presented, but for months to come.

If Nintendo can figure out how to make their announcements feel important without a Press conference, I think thats great. I don't think they have it yet and based on how they've marketed the WiiU so far, I can't help but wonder if they can figure it out.

They'll put out a Nintendo Direct. All the announcements and videos will make it to every other gaming website/forum/newspaper reporting on E3. It'll be hard to get on GAF just like it is during even the shittiest ND. Everyone in this thread stressing the importance of E3 will know every announcement made by Nintendo. Nintendo will have the same results at the end of the year as they would have if they went to E3. No gain and no loss.

RagnarokX

Nintendo had a big E3 last year. Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros are huge franchises and we saw footage of them for the first time on Wii U. DKCTF was a surprise and we got plenty of footage of other games. Do you think just having a live audience and an extra 30 minutes spread out for sales data, speaker transitions, live translations, applause breaks, and whatever pageantry they would have had at a traditional conference would have made their games any different? Do you think 3rd parties were there twiddling their thumbs going "we would have supported Wii U, but when they told us that they weren't doing a live presentation and giving media streaming rights we decided to bail. Nintendo has problems but none of them are how it chose to handle E3. Perhaps how the press decided to handle how Nintendo handled E3 was a problem, but not the format itself. If a kid dresses a certain way and a bully at school decides to spread false rumors about him so nobody likes him are we to tell the kid to appease the bully? The problem with this is totally on the media. I mean look at the headlines today's news spawned:

Nintendo Announces No Live Press Conference For E3 (IGN)

Nintendo Reveals its E3 Plans Don't Include Live Conference (IGN)

Nintendo Will Not Hold An E3 Press Conference, But Will Show Off Games (Siliconera)

Nintendo won't hold a live press conference at E3 2014 (Eurogamer)

Nintendo Skips E3 2014 Press Event for Streaming Video and Smash Tourney (USGamer.net)

Nintendo skips E3 press conferences, announces Nintendo Digital Event (Destructoid)

Nintendo bails on E3 press conference yet again (cnet)

For the second year in a row, Nintendo will be skipping a traditional E3 press conference.(Gamespot)

They're not idiots. They know what they're doing writing those headlines that way. They did the same thing last year.

I wrote this in the other thread:

I took a class on Persuasion for my BA in Psychology and the press conference argument seems to be mostly a resistance to change/appeal to tradition bias. "This is the way it has always been done and therefor it is the correct way to do things." The problem with this line of thinking is that you never explore other possibilities and may never find out that the traditional way of doing things isn't as effective as other ways of doing the same thing. It's possible that the way you are doing things is the best way, but "because that's the way we've always done it" isn't a good reason and can blind people from better alternatives to the point that they will staunchly refuse to acknowledge a better or equally as good way.

The press obviously has a bias in this affair because they have a lot more to gain from being middlemen presenting information that Nintendo could more effectively present directly to their current and potential customers. All of those headlines are good clickbait and set their readers up to believe that Nintendo's current E3 strategies are bad without ever giving them a chance. They're preying on peoples' resistance to change by reporting Nintendo's plans with negative headlines. Nintendo should work with the press but they shouldn't be beholden to them like this.

I don't think they have a good amount of exciting software, even if they had a conference it would have been overshadowed by the other console makers and third parties on gaming websites and myself. Now they aren't even trying which is a shame but the exciting unexpected reveals from them are behind us now.

I'm still excited for that Ruby remake whenever it comes though.

Top Bottom