• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Windows 10 nowadays? Tips?

TTOOLL

I've been using a MacBook Air 2017, well, since 2017 and I love it. Lightweight, excellent battery life and acceptable performance for browsing. However, I've been online teaching since April and it just can't handle it that well. When I have 16 of my students' video feed it plus other applications it crawls. Also, the small screen doesn't help. I looked at the prices of MacBook Pros in Brazil and they are insane, BRL 24,000 for the 16 inch model. That's around $4,500. So no Mac upgrade for me.

Facing this I had to buy a Windows 10 laptop, got a good deal on a Lenovo with a Ryzen 7 3700u, 256 ssd, 15.6 inch screen etc. This machine cost 6 times less than the MacBook Pro.

Anyway, I'm not concerned about hardware, the ryzen will do just fine, but I'm a bit worried about going back to Windows after these years.

Should I be worried? Is it performing well? How are the updates? Are they still pushing Cortana? I really appreciate any input or tips for a "new" Windows 10 user.

I don’t know much about Windows laptop but make sure you buy a high-end one even if it’s expensive, I used low-end laptops before and they were a fucking nightmare. Battery life is shit and they don’t last long.

Also make sure to disable automatic updates, they happen unexpectedly, waste you a lot of time, and will cause issues instead of preventing them.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

I don’t know much about Windows laptop but make sure you buy a high-end one even if it’s expensive, I used low-end laptops before and they were a fucking nightmare. Battery life is shit and they don’t last long.

Also make sure to disable automatic updates, they happen unexpectedly, waste you a lot of time, and will cause issues instead of preventing them.

I had to choose between performance and battery life, laptops with both are insanely expensive here. I would love the new Dell XPS but it's way over my budget. I rarely use my laptop on battery only so that's not a big deal.

I'll look into automatic updates for sure. Thanks!

DonMigs85

Not a good idea, maybe just delay updates a week or two to see how others fare. You don't wanna be exposed to security holes.
Also run the driver/update checker in Lenovo Vantage once in a while to check for new bios and drivers

TTOOLL

Not a good idea, maybe just delay updates a week or two to see how others fare. You don't wanna be exposed to security holes.
Also run the driver/update checker in Lenovo Vantage once in a while to check for new bios and drivers

Does Lenovo put a lot of bloatware on their devices? I remember Dell had a lot of them.
Is a clean install necessary?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
At this point there's not much to really "say" about it. They have basically removed all of their major UI changes since 8 minus the customized start menu. Everything is for the most part where you want it to be for most consumers.

If you need something specific changed is where it can get a bit weird. They still have some old pieces of windows intergrated alongside their new stuff so it can be a bit quirky.

Windows store still sucks. Your machine is quite beefy for most tasks. You'll be fine.

GHG

Gold Member
It's much better now than it was a few years ago, I have a lot more confidence in it these days.

For work I'm now windows(desktop)/Linux(laptop) whereas in the early days of W10 it was MacOS(desktop)/Linux(laptop).

DESTROYA

As a Windows only user forever it’s a perfectly competent OS and gets the job done.

As for a tip don’t try to burp and fart at the same time results can be disastrous.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Still haven't encountered a single Windows laptop that comes close to matching the "on-the-go computer" experience of Macbook Pros, especially since Apple finally fixed their keyboards with the 2019 models.

I like Windows 10 quite a bit, but just don't prefer it for mobile computing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
This or Pop OS

But TBH for the OP's use case he's better off staying with Windows 10.

No point in going down the linux rabbit hole unless he needs to.
For me personally I use Windows 10 because it has things I need and it has improved a lot since its inception. But for someone coming from Macbook, Linux will have everything he needs. I have used Manjaro(not really familiar with any other distros apart from Manjaro and Ubuntu) when I was still doing my engineering and it is as user friendly as your ever Mac user wants. He can also customize KDE to look like macOS.

TTOOLL

This or Pop OS

But TBH for the OP's use case he's better off staying with Windows 10.

No point in going down the linux rabbit hole unless he needs to.

Yeah, I'm not trying Linux at least for now. I just need compatibility and things to work properly. I've used Ubuntu years ago though, just for fun.

Unfortunately it's not freely available. It's windows 10 with all the bloat removed. Just go searching for Windows 10 LTSC and you'll eventually find it.

Can't I just remove the bloat manually??

Last edited:

Hudo

Yeah, I'm not trying Linux at least for now. I just need compatibility and things to work properly. I've used Ubuntu years ago though, just for fun.
That's a very good position to have. I used to distro-hop like crazy. Starting from Ubuntu to Debian, eventually to Arch (it's a meme distro at this point) and ending up doing my own Gentoo config with a home build-server so I could always have the newest Kernel already precompiled for my real hardware, etc and then I fell into the whole "fuck Linux, let's use BSD." hole...

At a certain point you're more busy parenting your distro than doing actual work. So I switched back to Ubuntu and Windows 10 for working and gaming. Computers and operating systems are just tools and one should choose the best tool for the job. No reason to switch from Windows when you don't have major problems and it works.

The people on reddit and 4chan/g/ who are memeing about how Windows/Mac/Ubuntu are for "noobs" and you should use a "real distro" are people who don't need to get shit done.

gela94

I upgraded to win 10 yesterday abd let me tell you 7 hours later I'm back to win 8. My internet stopped working LAN and Wifi, I tried everything nothing worked so I gave up.

Virex

Banned

Can't I just remove the bloat manually??
Yes and no. It also doesn't get broken by useless updates etc. It's made for stability etc. Give it a try. You've got nothing to lose

Entroyp

I work with a lenovo, HP, and a Dell. All with Windows 10 installed and I have yet to have a single issue, love it.

TTOOLL

Ok, just a quick update nobody asked for.

I've been using it since Friday. Running smooth and no problems so far.

The only grip so far are actually the gestures. They exist and they work, but Apple is so ahead it's not even funny, it's difficult to explain. I guess windows 10 was designed for mouse only.

The animations are atrocious and some gestures do not make sense. For example, when you swipe up with 3 fingers to reveal your apps across different desktops you have to swipe up again to go back, if you swipe down it minimizes everything to show the desktop. Who thought that was a good idea? Funny enough, if you swipe down with 3 fingers to show the desktop you have to swipe up to go back to your app. See the difference?

The problem is that I was so used to gestures on the Mac that I preferred using them over using my mouse. I hope things improve in the near future.

One last thing, Cortana must die soon.

HE1NZ

Banned
Unfortunately it's not freely available. It's windows 10 with all the bloat removed. Just go searching for Windows 10 LTSC and you'll eventually find it.
Nah. It's Windows 10 with all Windows 10 features removed. I got tricked into installing it once and then learned that you can't even launch Windows Store (and any of it's software) on it.

Mistake

LTSC or bust. I went through hell getting my 10 just right. I had no idea about that version until it was too late

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Might work the same if I installed LTSC. I'm April, I was still running Win7 64x on my Thinkpad. I had no virus protection since my last license expired in 2018. I ended up getting a virus and a guy offered to upgrade me along with the format. I asked him to dig around for Windows 7 discs as I had issues with 10 on another laptop. He recommended and installed 10 for security. It has an iCore5 processor and used to be able to handle up to 6 programs without slowing down. The same week 10 was installed, everything appeared okay until I can YouTube for background music (which is something I've been doing the past 8-years I've had this Thinkpad). I got blue screened after 10-minutes and the system suggested running with errors or resetting. This has happened 5 times now and so I can no longer use the laptop for anything heavy. My only options now are to have my VIAO mailed to me from the States or find Windows 7 install discs on eBay. I don't care if they are no longer supporting updates (I stopped updates in 2015 anyway), I can't trust 10. This is the second computer to go blue while running more than 4 applications on 10.

I'll look into LTSC and see if it is worth going 10 one last chance. I'm also a teacher and can't teach me with how slow the video card gets with 10 when I want to run video classes.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Might work the same if I installed LTSC. I'm April, I was still running Win7 64x on my Thinkpad. I had no virus protection since my last license expired in 2018. I ended up getting a virus and a guy offered to upgrade me along with the format. I asked him to dig around for Windows 7 discs as I had issues with 10 on another laptop. He recommended and installed 10 for security. It has an iCore5 processor and used to be able to handle up to 6 programs without slowing down. The same week 10 was installed, everything appeared okay until I can YouTube for background music (which is something I've been doing the past 8-years I've had this Thinkpad). I got blue screened after 10-minutes and the system suggested running with errors or resetting. This has happened 5 times now and so I can no longer use the laptop for anything heavy. My only options now are to have my VIAO mailed to me from the States or find Windows 7 install discs on eBay. I don't care if they are no longer supporting updates (I stopped updates in 2015 anyway), I can't trust 10. This is the second computer to go blue while running more than 4 applications on 10.

I'll look into LTSC and see if it is worth going 10 one last chance. I'm also a teacher and can't teach me with how slow the video card gets with 10 when I want to run video classes.
Have you tried "resetting" or formatting your computer?

Fake

I really recommend you to rollback to Windows 7. The problem is notebooks with are born to use Windows 7 instead of Windows 10. Either continue to use Windows 7 x64 or get a new one with Windows 10 already installed.

I work at IT, is a hell fixing notebooks of users who update their system to Windows 10. Not always works. Desktops those days are fine, but notebook are still unstable if they're not born using Windows 10.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Have you tried "resetting" or formatting your computer?
Twice and the problems still persist. I run task manager and can see the video card heat up the moment a video is running with anything else. They never got that not when running 7. This computer was built to handle 10 and I checked the hardware and it's in the green. I know I'm not the only one getting blue screened for running multiple tasks.

I'm open to suggestions before I hung down 7 and reset it again.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yeah I'm not sure then. I updated my 8-9 year old ThinkPad to Windows 10 and used it just fine up until recently when I moved to a desktop just because.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I really recommend you to rollback to Windows 7. The problem is notebooks with are born to use Windows 7 instead of Windows 10. Either continue to use Windows 7 x64 or get a new one with Windows 10 already installed.

I work at IT, is a hell fixing notebooks of users who update their system to Windows 10. Not always works. Desktops those days are fine, but notebook are still unstable if they're not born using Windows 10.
That's all I needed to know. I'm in Mexico and don't make the money to buy a new laptop. The best option for me would be to buy a new ThinkPad with Windows 10 installed, in which...it probably won't do this. However, my second best option is the only one I can use. So, looks like I'll be buying 7...again. My ThinkPad is nearly 9-yeare old but I physically checked out my hardware and it's running like new. I anticipate another 5-7 years before the core computer starts to have issues. I'm also a dinosaur and feel like if it's not broken (the O.S.), why fix it?

I'll upgrade to 10 or whatever's next when I get the money for a new ThinkPad. Until then, it's back to the land of defunct OS '. Thanks for all the advice in this thread, takes a heap of pressure off on how to deal with my problem for the time.

Fake

That's all I needed to know. I'm in Mexico and don't make the money to buy a new laptop. The best option for me would be to buy a new ThinkPad with Windows 10 installed, in which...it probably won't do this. However, my second best option is the only one I can use. So, looks like I'll be buying 7...again. My ThinkPad is nearly 9-yeare old but I physically checked out my hardware and it's running like new. I anticipate another 5-7 years before the core computer starts to have issues. I'm also a dinosaur and feel like if it's not broken (the O.S.), why fix it?

I'll upgrade to 10 or whatever's next when I get the money for a new ThinkPad. Until then, it's back to the land of defunct OS '. Thanks for all the advice in this thread, takes a heap of pressure off on how to deal with my problem for the time.

I have 3 notebooks here and I have three brothers. My old brother one ask for me to install Windows 10 on their Dell Inspirion with i7/Nvidia. I made a clean install and some weeks after my old brother end getting a new notebook with Windows 10 installed.

As much as people here talk about 'is stable', is really a complex sittuation. Sometimes works, sometimes don't.
If you really have a notebook with Windows 7 pre-installed is not a good ideia update to Windows 10 no matter how those days they're stable.

edit: My father those days asked me to install Windows 10 on his notebook. Don't work well, so he tried using Windows XP. Neither works, so he end up rollbacking to Windows 7 and making a dual boot with Linux.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It’s ok. I just set up a computer for someone’s birthday a clean install with Windows 10 and a bunch of warez. Will be interesting to see if anything gives him trouble.

One thing noticed was when I set up the computer I didn’t have my wireless adaptor plugged in and no matter what I did it would not see it, not even power it on. Then I reinstalled Windows with it plugged in, worked like a charm. Still, wtf?

MrFunSocks

Banned
If you really have a notebook with Windows 7 pre-installed is not a good ideia update to Windows 10 no matter how those days they're stable.
What are you basing this on though? I've done *many* windows 7 laptop updates to Windows 10 and they've all been fine.

Fake

What are you basing this on though? I've done *many* windows 7 laptop updates to Windows 10 and they've all been fine.
It means two things:

- Will not work 100% of times.
- Beware giving advices about update. Can make things worse.

I done many Windows 7 and Vista also, not all get working fine using Windows 10.

Also, I basing on me, IT worker, just like you I suppose. I can't say for desktops, but for notebooks and ultrathin.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It means two things:

- Will not work 100% of times.
- Beware giving advices about update. Can make things worse.

I done many Windows 7 and Vista also, not all get working fine using Windows 10.

Also, I basing on me, IT worker, just like you I suppose. I can't say for desktops, but for notebooks and ultrathin.
Of course you'll have problems *sometimes*. You can have problems with any update on any system *sometimes*. There is no blanket "do not update from windows 7 on laptops" rule though, because for the large majority of cases it will work just fine.

Virex

Banned

Can you write any of this in English please

TTOOLL

MS should step up their default wallpaper game. Those lockscreen imagens are gorgeous, but the wallpaper selection is poor and similar to the last time I used W10 4 years ago.

Top Bottom