• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Windows 10 nowadays? Tips?

hard_boiled

Neophyte
Is it performing well?
It is OK for the basics. I was foolish & bought Windows 10 Pro for both HyperV & BitLocker. My advice is Home is fine, avoid anything additional as it will be a waste of money.
How are the updates?
They still take forever & MS security is still horrible. They only recently closed 2 zero day exploits that had not only been known about for multiple years, but were being actively used in the wild.
Are they still pushing Cortana?
Its there on the home bar & occasionally pops up to be annoying if you strike certain keys. I am not sure which ones, as I always do it on accident.
I really appreciate any input or tips for a "new" Windows 10 user.
Your install is likely going to come with a lot of bloat, so it may be useful to proactively look for a way to programmatically remove it all (powershell script or something).

xrnzaaas

It's funny that the topic was updated, because the new KB4549951 and KB4566782 updates are causing bluescreens and performance decrease for some people.

nkarafo

Is it just me or does it use less RAM than Android?

My desktop PC uses 500mb less RAM than my phone when both are idle (1.5GB vs 2.0GB on average).

notseqi

I'll look into automatic updates for sure. Thanks!
And when it does keep prompting you to update anyways, delay, delay, delay.

Other than that W10 has been a nice experience. Look into bloat removers, I have a .bat that automatically uninstalls anything I don't want, like Cortana.

notseqi

My desktop PC uses 500mb less RAM than my phone when both are idle (1.5GB vs 2.0GB on average).
Android preloads every app to a certain degree, even stuff you don't have in frequent use. Might be that.

Lanrutcon

So Cortana died on my system, and it won't renable unless I update my W10.

And without Cortana, you can't search through the taskbar or type search on the start menu.

Plus opening the start menu has a 2 second delay.

Cortana: optional, my ass.

Hudo

I haven't had any
As a small addendum: I had a look into LTSC and it is indeed the case that there are problems with Ryzen 3 and some other newer hardware that will get resolved with the next LTSC version, which is due in 2021. So there are also SAC versions (Semi-Annual Channel) that are apparently also less bloated while still getting updates for new hardware (As per my understanding, Windows 10 Education is one such example of an SAC version of Windows 10).
So I guess the usage of Windows 10 LTSC is dependent on how "bleeding edge" you are with your hardware requirements.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's good. You don't have to do anything or set anything special. No need to disable updates too. it's all in the background and I never notice it.

TTOOLL

I like how this is becoming a general Windows 10 thread. Why not???

I have yet another question. How do I get file previews on W10? It's is very powerful tool on MacOs but here I can't even see PDF miniatures. Any suggestions?

Woo-Fu

Banned
MS should step up their default wallpaper game. Those lockscreen imagens are gorgeous, but the wallpaper selection is poor and similar to the last time I used W10 4 years ago.
They comfortably assume everybody---well, everybody who matters---has internet access and knows how to use context-sensitive menus.

As far as the original post, I've been using Windows since the very beginning, Win10 is easily the best, as it should be. The only caveat for upgraders is make sure there are working drivers for every device in your ancient piece of shit laptop. The same caveat that has existed for every operating system ever.

Last edited:

TheContact

Win10 is the best OS they've released. It's stable and secure. Windows defender is much better than most of the paid anti viruses on the market. Make sure you're on at least version 1909 (type winver into cmd to find out what you're currently using). Set yourself to opt out of newly released updates though, their QA has been shit and have been basically making home users their beta testers.

It's funny that the topic was updated, because the new KB4549951 and KB4566782 updates are causing bluescreens and performance decrease for some people.
And that's why I disabled updates. Last thing I need is a blue screen or some other issue to ruin my day and possibly my week.

Edit: speaking of issues, my pc can't access my external hard drive anymore, whereas my Macbook has no problem with that. I tried a few tricks but they didn't work. Oh well.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
As a small addendum: I had a look into LTSC and it is indeed the case that there are problems with Ryzen 3 and some other newer hardware that will get resolved with the next LTSC version, which is due in 2021. So there are also SAC versions (Semi-Annual Channel) that are apparently also less bloated while still getting updates for new hardware (As per my understanding, Windows 10 Education is one such example of an SAC version of Windows 10).
So I guess the usage of Windows 10 LTSC is dependent on how "bleeding edge" you are with your hardware requirements.
Intel in my desktop with LTSC and no issues. Ryzen 5 CPU in my laptop with LTSC and still no issues either. No driver issues nothing. What Ryzen issues are there?

Last edited:

hard_boiled

Neophyte

That is normal. The two OSes are derived from or architected around different philosophies.

TTOOLL

I wanted to see the seconds on my taskbar so I found out I had to edit the registry for it to appear...How is this not an option???

Edit: found something to replace Preview from MacOS.
Really good tool for previewing files!

Last edited:

Hudo

Intel in my desktop with LTSC and no issues. Ryzen 5 CPU in my laptop with LTSC and still no issues either. No driver issues nothing. What Ryzen issues are there?
Well, apparently Windows 10 version 1903 fixes scheduling issues that AMD mentioned in their E3 conference (or some conference close to E3). Current Windows 10 LTSC is based on version 1803 and can't be upgraded. But it's apparently not the end of the world, it's more a optimization of how Ryzen 3000 series CPUs are doing scheduling. But I think this is just some edge-case thing that doesn't really provide that much of a performance gain in real-world scenarios.

xrnzaaas

And that's why I disabled updates. Last thing I need is a blue screen or some other issue to ruin my day and possibly my week.

Edit: speaking of issues, my pc can't access my external hard drive anymore, whereas my Macbook has no problem with that. I tried a few tricks but they didn't work. Oh well.
The support wasn't that bad when Windows 10 launched, but beta-testing has taken a turn for the worse in the recent years and you're the main beta tester now if you don't delay updates as far as possible. I also hate the need to deliver big upgrades at least once a year, I feel like they're there to prove that Microsoft employees need their jobs. Resorting to critical security updates should be available to all Win10 customers.

hard_boiled

Neophyte
I wanted to see the seconds on my taskbar so I found out I had to edit the registry for it to appear...How is this not an option???
Windows is strange like that. For a while way back during the 90s File Explorer had tabs. Then they removed the feature & never again re-added them. There are some common sense things that aren't readily exposed via the UI/UX & can only be added with lower level tinkering in the OS.

TTOOLL

Windows is strange like that. For a while way back during the 90s File Explorer had tabs. Then they removed the feature & never again re-added them. There are some common sense things that aren't readily exposed via the UI/UX & can only be added with lower level tinkering in the OS.

Yeah, tabs are something I already miss. But windows has some advantages like being able to see the calendar, and events, by clicking on the date. It's pretty handy.

Kadve

My only problem is that bloated and annoying start menu. But that was an easy fix with classic shell or Open shell.

There is also 8gadgetpack (works fine on 10) if you wan't those back.

Cortana is easy to disable if you don't wan't it

Foto viewer was also disabled with 10. But it's still there and easy to enable.

Otherwise it's standard advice, remove all bloat that you don't want. Set updates to search only, etc.

Be careful though if you plan to do retrogaming, 10 recently broke compatibility with a lot of win98/xp era software with a recent update.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Apparently, Windows 10 has gotten better but due to the current economic situation, I'm stuck on an older PC. So, I wrote about my issue awhile back and got some good feedback in this thread. But...GAF I need your help again and since it's relatively relevant to this thread, I'll ask here instead of creating a new thread for a couple Windows questions.

Here's what I need to do and I need you to help convince me that I still have hope.
I downgraded Windows 10 to Windows 7 Home Premium yesterday because I'm running on a 9 1/2-year old ThinkPad that was crashing after upgrading to 10.

Solved: Drivers were missing when reinstalling Windows 7 H.P. x64 including WIFI. I successfully downloaded those drivers to a flash drive and was able to get the computer back online.

Unsolved (this is where I need your help):
I'm back to day 1 Windows 7 which has no more support, no security, and no updates since January. I don't care for updates anyway and wasn't using them prior to 10. However, I'm pretty vulnerable to a virus and I need this computer for work. I've read that most Anti-Virus and security software companies will still support Windows 7 Service pack 1 for 1-2 years more (giving me enough time to use it and buy a new computer when I get my job back 6-months from now). The big question:

Which Anti-Virus / Internet Security 3rd party (excluding Norton because they want prepaid subscriptions) software is the most reliable for an older O.S. like 7? Should I download the basic program and then buy a 1-year key?

That's what I've got going on. Please help 😞

Last edited:
Top Bottom