• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Kirby killed Nintendo

Killer751

Banned
There is no dispute among gaming fans that Nintendo is not what they used to be. Years ago they dominated the industry, but in the years since their popularity and talent has withered away to virtually nothing.

Virtually everyone who has ever played another gaming platform agrees with this assessment. The question at this point is... when did this happen? How did it happen? What franchise, which developer got the ball rolling to put Nintendo in the hole where it is today?

it all began with Kirby.

Kirby was designed as a straightforward, easy to play 2D platformer aimed at younger audiences. As the series went on, not a whole lot improved or changed while Nintendo wasted their time with pathetic spin off releases that no one wanted or asked for.

Sound familiar?

Kirby isn't a popular title to criticize in this way. I imagine that this is because most fans simply overlooked all of the major red flags with the series and its creators. It was the first major Nintendo IP to not evolve in any meaningful capacity with every release, setting the modern standard for how Mario Kart and Splatoon are treated. Kirby is almost a thirty year old franchise. To this day it has NEVER received a proper 3D release. Nintendo has failed to evolve the formula in an interesting, creative way the way they did with their truly great titles. Metroid Prime, Smash, OOT, and Super Mario Bros.

Following Iwata's ascension into presidency, other Nintendo franchises began to become infected by the Kirby cancer. Every game became overtly colorful and bright. Titles like Sin and Punishment, Perfect Dark, Eternal Darkness, and Project H.A.M.M.E.R were shoved to the side in favor of derivative lazy releases like Wii Music and ExciteTruck. Paper Mario went from being this surprisingly dark and mature series to a scrapbook simulator for brain dead children. Metroid Prime went over a DECADE with no true follow up.

Meanwhile Mario Party got regular releases, despite the original developers being bought out by Konami. Donkey Kong Country was rebooted. Custom and Chibi Robo got a billion sequels that no one cared about. And Kirby continued to get new releases... During Iwata's presidency we got one almost every year, none of which good in any way, shape, or form.

Modern Nintendo believes that every game needs to be 2D. They refuse to evolve the formula of titles like Yoshi or DKC while they milk Mario and Zelda for all of its worth. Modern Nintendo refuses to allow western studios to tackle dark or mature subjects, instead forcing them to conform to what Nintendo thinks all games should be like.

I suspect that Metroid Prime 4 will be far more similar in style and tone to Federation Force than the original Metroid Prime. Nothing Nintendo has done with Kirby or any of its other franchises have really reassured me that this company can be trusted.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I still want to know why do you have such personal hate against Nintendo? They nothing more than entertainment, If hated so much why not just play console you do like?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
379ch.gif

There are plenty of top-tier games on Nintendo platforms.

I do agree there are big problems caused by their self-indulgent behavior (needless sequels) but on the whole they are a pretty reliable company. Your tastes may not match what they produce but that's another matter entirely.

Nintendo is acting like Disney. It's really no more complicated than that. Many of the OG developers from the NES days are old or dead. It makes sense to expand their brand by churning out a bunch of games with recognizable characters. Kirby is part of that. The brand is what they're building so that's why you see so many spin-offs and merchandising. They are a toy company, after all.

For my money, I usually avoid Kirby games but Planet Robobot was a thrill-ride. Well worth the time I spent with it.

Last edited:

Gabrius

"Modern Nintendo believes that every game needs to be 2D"

....then you go to mention Mario and Zelda. But obviously you have not played the new Mario and Zelda games.

CJY

Banned
Read the first paragraph and the by the end of it, I already knew you couldn’t be any more wrong, so I didn’t need to go further.

VertigoOA

Banned
Kirby is popular in Japan. It’s one of iwata’s legacy ips and I do think he did too much dick waving with that ip when its never been that good.

Tenaciousmo

As a Die hard kirby fan, I dont care about the difficulty or the fact they stayed in a 2D platformer , theyre all amazing games that makes me feel good and is the last serie from nintendo I really care about.

Iaterain

Kirby is just a quick cash grab. They throw Kirby games regularly because people buys them.
I was buying them too, because I wasn't aware of how easy and short these game series are.
They are like a 2 hour long, primitive, kiddie 2d side scrollers, without any story at all, for the price of Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Uncharted4...
It doesn't kill Nintendo, it makes them money but also a bad reputation.

Last edited:

Codes 208

There is no dispute among gaming fans that Nintendo is not what they used to be. Years ago they dominated the industry, but in the years since their popularity and talent has withered away to virtually nothing.

Virtually everyone who has ever played another gaming platform agrees with this assessment.
Um. What? My system of choice this gen has been the PS4 and I do not condone this.

And between this and your other thread, seriously, stop trying to instigate these worn out nintendo is doomed arguments.

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, they're suited for kids.

Nevertheless, I really like the easy, relaxing experience between other games.

baphomet

I miss when moderators actually moderated gaf.

Threads like these make this place as appetizing as gamefaqs.

There is no dispute among gaming fans that Nintendo is not what they used to be. ...their popularity and talent has withered away to virtually nothing.
Well OP, sorry. I was able to overlook the all encompassing (and incorrect) claim you started with, but this highlighted part invalidates ... well everything else you have to say.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It's times like this that I wish this place allowed users to tag posts similarly to the way you can on RPG Codex...

jadedm17

Mario Odysessy and Splatoon are recent incredible games so I disagree from the start.

Also Kirby 64 was as much 3D I needed in Kirby, why does everything need to evolve in a big way? Call Of Duty has been all over the road with that logic.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
kirby games are shit i agree.
but hardly ruining other nintendo IP's

the last mario and zelda where amazing.

Jubenhimer

Kirby has always been low-risk and easy. It was the entire point of the game, to make something as simple and easy as possible to pick up and play through for casual gamers, while also having some extra challenges for the hardcore crowd hidden away. It's disingenuous to say that it "Ruined" Nintendo because not every Nintendo game is Kirby, nor should they be like Kirby.

Codes 208

Stigmatising people for their disloyalty to some corporations is a little bit extreme.
I hope nobody would ever do like that.
I have no issues with disloyalty, we all hqve biases. But heres the thing. This isnt even your first thread marking nintendo as an irrelevant forefront to gaming (which imo thw crown of mediocrity this gen goes to xbox)

Instead you come up with these unequal 1:1 comparisons with no real basis just to rile up arguments.

Seriously, we get it, you dont like nintendo. But context is key and making threads with flamebait titles and further spewing opinion as fact is indeed imo worthy of being stigmatized.

Kirby didnt kill nintendo, making games for children isnt a dead end, but threads like this are.

Last edited:

kaczmar

Seeing how Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey were rated as high as they were I don't think your assertions hold much weight.

Replace Nintendo with Sega, then your thoughts may have some merit.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this was gonna be a weird thread about Kirby's kissing in the newest game

Got this instead

disappoint

theclaw135

Banned
Seeing how Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey were rated as high as they were I don't think your assertions hold much weight.

Replace Nintendo with Sega, then your thoughts may have some merit.

That'll be the day, 3D reinventions of 2D Sega games rated highly as if Nintendo had made them.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
All the threads by you OP:

- Will children pay for Nintendo Switch online?

- Star Fox Zero is one of the worst games ever made

- The Downfall and decline of Retro Studios (Happy 20th Birthday!)

- Making games for children is a creative dead end

- How Kirby killed Nintendo

You’re trying too hard. At least ask for a pay rise.

TLZ

Banned
I don't get these threads or rants. I don't go into toys r us ranting why they make toys for kids and not for me. I'd look like a right idiot.

If this doesn't interest you now, you move on over there > that section that interests you, and there's plenty of stuff there for you.

Nintendo never changed. I was a kid when I first played on my Famicom and loved it. They grabbed my attention. Job well done.

They're still doing the same now with their IPs.

Top Bottom